Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself (22735 Views)

Another Nigerian Man Takes A Nap With His Car In The Middle Of Highway / Man Charged N953k By Mechanic After His Car Broke Down In Lekki Flood / Man Uses "Juju" To Secure His Car After It Broke Down In A Ghetto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by izzieman: 3:57pm On Jun 16, 2015
A defective Oxygen sensor can cause this, but as others have suggested, do get a scan done to pinpoint the exact problem.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Ayire(m): 4:11pm On Jun 16, 2015
oti ya weyrey
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Nicepoker(m): 4:52pm On Jun 16, 2015
Check ur throttle actuator
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Spidermon: 5:52pm On Jun 16, 2015
Never give the devil a ride, he will always want to drive. Seriously, I only know how to trouble shoot bicycles
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Damey2011(m): 6:56pm On Jun 16, 2015
moscobabs:
Me too need help o...my car temperature shows high but no sign of overheating when I open the engine...although it overheated on Saturday when the fan stopped but it has been fixed don't know why the temperature is still high on jazboard o
The car is Nissan Quest 2000 model.thanks

Cc Gazuzz,Siena

Wiring issue.. See your rewire

1 Like

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by ogdada: 7:09pm On Jun 16, 2015
abatically:

A kazeem has probably used pure water nylon to block ur idle air control valve lol grin. Try scanning the car.
bros u are so correct, a mechanic did that to my car. And that was d result, until I oder him to remove it , and the car is normal

1 Like

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by deko24: 7:37pm On Jun 16, 2015
Been a very long time I commented on nairaland, but have been an ardent follower. to cut the long story short, same happened to me on my Honda civic 2008 model. it originated when my mechanic serviced my injector with one spray stuff and thats how hell began because my car temperature went high and low continuously even though it didnt overheat, fuel usage trippled because even when u are not moving its like your car is revin....inshort without putting your legs on the trottle, your car seems like its speeding, i know the feeling.

My attempts to resolve it:
i changed injector like 3 times to no avail, washed, flushed, checked for air leakages but nothing

Final resolution:
I got an rewire who had a badass scanner. i wish i can remember the name. but Im sure the guy did not make more than 5 clicks and viola...it all disappeared. (please note that not all scanners will clear the problem cos i tried several other scanners. scanner get level oo). my car was back to normal. although i coughed 8k it was worth it. no abnormal reving, fuel usage back to normal, temperature back to normal

Advice:
dont spend any unnecessary money, the problem is clearly with your brainbox and i suspect u serviced ur injector. do as i did, get a rewire who knows his onions to scan for the issue and reset it and u may even get urs fixed cheaper

cheers

2 Likes

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by jybolee: 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2015
this your problem would most likely be your oxygen/ air fuel ratio sensor if the car is said to be emitting black smoke and consuming fuel, it could also be the idle air control valve or mass air flow, but it would certainly be your oxygen sensor but run a scan to be sure which bank the code is coming from especially if it is a V6 engine.cheers

2 Likes

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by viperman: 8:53pm On Jun 16, 2015
Your problem is most likely the Mass airflow sensor.

1 Like

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by 4everGrand(m): 9:18pm On Jun 16, 2015
elohorayodele:
Auto mechanics de NL?

Joko sibe...dey dere

1 Like

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by senator2k9(m): 9:37pm On Jun 16, 2015
Kazeem call it AIR FLOW METER..just change it n ur car will be ok

1 Like

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Weah96: 9:38pm On Jun 16, 2015
Something is wrong with your throttle. There is this thing under the hood that acts like a gas pedal, and if it's stuck or loose you will hear the car rev anyhow. Mine used to come completely loose and would leave my car stuck in acceleration. The brakes still worked, so I used to pull over to the side and snap the cable back into place.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by cocoduck: 6:42am On Jun 17, 2015
Thought I gave posted a video about these types of problems
You need to scan and read live data from the car. Below is the link to the videos
https://www.nairaland.com/2376714/secret-engine-problem-diagnosis-fuel

1 Like

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Okanyidudu: 8:26am On Jun 17, 2015
Abugab:
This is a common problem with Nissan and had to sell off one I used recently.
My take:
Do a scan as u can see some good places with pocket friendly charges.
Likely the air flow meter or valves as it were.
Tackle it now as it will soon start with 'break and quench' and will also be emitting thick black smoke when you rev the engine.

Thanks. will go for a scan this weekend. smiley

2 Likes

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Okanyidudu: 8:28am On Jun 17, 2015
Flame4chi:
Lemme giv u a number to cal... Tunde Okukoya he is a moderator on Ray power Ibadan, I have listen to his programme over the radio and I feel he can help, put a call through to him. 08098738876Lemme giv u a number to cal... Tunde Okukoya he is a moderator on Ray power Ibadan, I have listen to his programme over the radio and I feel he can help, put a call through to him. 08098738876Lemme giv u a number to cal... Tunde Okukoya he is a moderator on Ray power Ibadan, I have listen to his programme over the radio and I feel he can help, put a call through to him. 08098738876

Thanks
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Okanyidudu: 8:46am On Jun 17, 2015
Thank you everyone for your help. As advised, I have decided to go for a scan this weekend when I would have the time off from work. I promise to provide feedback as soon as this is sorted.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by balash(m): 11:34am On Jun 17, 2015
Okanyidudu:

Hello Gurus in the house,

I need help with my car. The engine revs up and down all by itself. The effect is exactly like someone gently pressing down on the gas pedal and then letting up, over and over. This effect is most notable when the car is parked, but also occurs when stopped for red lights, or even during low-speed driving (under 35 mph or so).

The car in question is a Nissan X-Trail 2008 model.

@moderator, pls unban morningsta. not sure what offense was committed seriously.

Nothing Is wrong with the car, The same happened to me that fuel scarcity period I was going to My Village In Epe Side from Festac Town, And i was waiting everywhere to buy fuel but till i got to lekki around 11pm amidst traffic and there was no fuel and it was already showing the red light so i had to drive absolutely fast that late night and it took me to epe but immedietely i parked it was just goin up and down but they just checked the throttle cable it was high and they used one Toothpick like instrument to low the engine back and it was normal again dnt let them eat your Money, The car is merely high get someone genuine to help you low the engine
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by osubair(m): 8:57pm On Jun 17, 2015
Okanyidudu:

Hello Gurus in the house,

I need help with my car. The engine revs up and down all by itself. The effect is exactly like someone gently pressing down on the gas pedal and then letting up, over and over. This effect is most notable when the car is parked, but also occurs when stopped for red lights, or even during low-speed driving (under 35 mph or so).

The car in question is a Nissan X-Trail 2008 model.

@moderator, pls unban morningsta. not sure what offense was committed seriously.

Check your gear.

Happened to my 2001 maxima.. it revs when the engine is hot or when the ac is on.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Charlidinho(m): 4:58am On Jun 18, 2015
It just might be caused by any of your Oxygen sensors as well. This was my experience with my Honda Accord V6. A thorough scan will help identify what the problem is exactly. Cheers

1 Like

Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Weah96: 1:31pm On Jun 18, 2015
osubair:

Check your gear.

Happened to my 2001 maxima.. it revs when the engine is hot or when the ac is on.

That was your fan turning on. He's talking about the engine itself revving. Or that's what I'm guessing.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by stephcruse(m): 9:30am On Jun 19, 2015
Try scan,but you can also use scan tool to re learn the idle control
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by osubair(m): 5:16pm On Jun 19, 2015
Weah96:

That was your fan turning on. He's talking about the engine itself revving. Or that's what I'm guessing.

It wasn't the fan. I thought it was the plugs after scanning, but it wasn't. I had to change the gear before it stopped revving.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Mcdonelldouglas(m): 8:46pm On Jun 19, 2015
Last time it happened to me, a faulty temperature sensor was the culprit.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by Lolaabokoku(f): 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2015
Funny post here, there and everywhere grin
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by sultaan(m): 8:24pm On Jun 20, 2015
A lot of bad advice has been given here it is no wonder People spend a fortune to keep their cars on the road.

The only problem is vacuum leak. Air is leaking somewhere after the airflow sensor so your air is not metered.When air leaks system slows down to balance fuel when it goes up again system speeds up.

Look at you air duct for crack and check all the black hoses coming out of the air duct for cracks make sure they're all connected and the connection point is not cracked.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by sagiru2: 12:41am On Jun 29, 2015
I had a similar problem with my golf 4, and it was due to a faulty ECT sensor. the problem is gone now since it was replaced over 2 years ago.
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by ebuks4ever(m): 7:52am On Mar 29, 2017
Are you Low on Budget for your car parts? Get 10% OFF on all Orders. Discount code: NAIRALAND

Kindly visit www.mrparts.ng and enter coupon during checkout

Offer ends 31st March, 2017
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by CityNGR: 8:41pm On Jan 18, 2019
grin grin grin

igbsam:

I bought special anointing oil and show the damn car who is d boss
Re: His Car Revs Up & Down By Itself by CityNGR: 8:43pm On Jan 18, 2019
turtle cable indeed!!

adanny01:

What if the car has no 'turtle-cable' but elctronic trottle control as common with newer cars. How, would you advise him to adjust? 'Slow running' isnt manually adjustable in most ECU (brain box) controled car such as a 2008 model. Dont forget the op said 2008 Nissan Xtrail.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos To Auction 108 Forfeited, Abandoned Vehicles / Peugeot 406 (2004) Vs Toyota Corolla 2008 (pictures) / Saudi Women Celebrate News They Will Finally Be Allowed To Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.