Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? (19021 Views)

Expert Vs Experience: How I Dealt With My Old School Boss / Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees / Are NOUN Degrees Well Recognised By Major Employers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 12:55pm On Jun 19, 2015
Do you mean degree like that of Jona,mama piss and Abati,dream on. We need experience in everything, Degree is as well important to show how competent you are,but don't forget that experience is the master of all. Those that don't have experience of what Chad,Niger,Benin Rep.Cameroon look like and so on are not capable of ruling this great land. quote me wrong and die in heart attack.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by lighternote: 1:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
So how can you get the job in the first place without a degree? Both work hand in hand with degree being more important. Mind you, the process of gaining the degree(especially in good schools) is experience on its own.
AgapeCharis:
Wrong!!

Even if you have a B.Sc from Germany and an M.Sc from Canada, if you gat no experience, it's usually hard to secure a job except through connections.

True Story.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jun 19, 2015
lighternote:
So how can you get the job in the first place without a degree? Both work hand in hand with degree being more important. Mind you, the process of gaining the degree(especially in good schools) is experience on its own.
You are right though. They work hand in hand. There's hardly a company around that considers pre-NYSC exper6as experience though.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 19, 2015
I learnt the hard way in 2004 during an interview that experience matters more than the degree.
Why do you think our companies employ foreign artisans and technicians who cant speak english to man our refineries and energy companies.

Technical know how separates the men from the boys, the school thing is one big fraud, check out the richest people in nigeria, they dont have degrees and most dropped out of school, yet they command wealth and respect even mr lecturer ends up dashing them honorary doctorate, which is still better than those who roasted themselves to get it.

I pity parents who waste our foreign reserves sending their kids to the uk and us and wherever only for these brats to come and start pushing cv about, I think its a wrong investment .

Get your experience and know how thought mentor-ship and apprenticeship programs, this is especially important for future professionals, getting your acca, cisa cisp or crips or whatever wont get you the high paying job you want if you dont have the commensurate experience.

Your better off learning a skill or trade, you dont have to waste 5 years of ya life polishing your English or knowing how to write, professional bodies make money from the forms and exams they make students and members to pay and not by adding any real value to the economy.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by boldan: 1:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
After going through some of the posts here, I cannot help but laugh. How on earth can someone say experience is more important. Experience will be more important if you want a job like mechanic, shoe making, plumbing etc. However, if you want to get a very good job, there is no way you can have it without having a degree. Who will even invite you for an interview in the first place?. This is not to say experience is not important, but it is your degree first of all. THE TRUTH IS TOYOTA FOR EXAMPLE WILL NOT EMPLOY THE VERY BEST ROADSIDE TOYOTA MECHANICS NOT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW THE JOB BUT BECAUSE THERE IS NO DEGREE. Even if they get employed, they get to stay at the junior level, whereas a degree holder comes in at a supervisory level.No one is disputing the fact that experience is important, but without a degree, your experience will not take you far, you will always be at the mercy of degree holders.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Theflint1(m): 1:51pm On Jun 19, 2015
Maybe the question should be more like this: A BSc. holder with experience vs a Masters/PhD degree holder with zero experience.

For me, as long as a person meets the minimum requirement for a job, it would be experience over additional degrees.

2 Likes

Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by decountof(m): 1:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
Chinese company: experience dem want
American company:experience dem want

Nigerian Companies: plenty degrees for jobs positions wey no even make sense

Other companies: just deliver result.... finish!
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by JARUSHUB: 1:59pm On Jun 19, 2015
okay lets break it down from scratch your experience without degree will not earn you invitation for an interview with coy
having a degree in a particular field serve as a number one criterion, which implies that you meet the essential qualification or requirement
for you to apply for that job, thereafter you concentrate on building a wealth of experience in that line of work,
nevertheless both factors are necessary to get a job faster but i think degree comes before building an experience

my opinion tho!
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by free37: 2:02pm On Jun 19, 2015
It depends.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by pbs4real(m): 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
Elkewwty:

what do you mean by waste of time
biko dnt vex,he isnt refering to utongue
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by madridsta007(m): 2:23pm On Jun 19, 2015
In the UK?

Your experience by a MILE.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by lyman720(m): 2:23pm On Jun 19, 2015
Degree gets u job...Experience helps u keep it.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by friends4ever(m): 2:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
I have been working with this company for years and if you are newly hired with your so called degree i will be the one that will train you in. Guess what, i will make you more rookier because, i got the experience and you got the degree. After much frustration from the experience guy like me, you will be forced to quit and get a job at McDonald's...hahahaha
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Amazo: 2:40pm On Jun 19, 2015
MyZoto:
Do you agree? Degrees vs. experience, which matters more?

This is an illogical question and a redundant comparative analogy undecided. If you don't have the required qualification to begin with, how are you going to get the employment, which allows you build experience

Qualification --» Employment --» Experience

That's how it works in the real world cool! We are not in Narnia grin

1 Like

Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by lonngmann(m): 2:53pm On Jun 19, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Wrong!!

Even if you have a B.Sc from Germany and an M.Sc from Canada, if you gat no experience, it's usually hard to secure a job except through connections.

True Story.
Lolz

You traveling all the way from naija to Germany and Canada is a lot of experience, don't you think? grin
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 19, 2015
Low level/ entry level jobs requires a degree, but to move into better paying positions, you need experience
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 19, 2015
In the UK experience fetches job faster than degree, with exception of medical courses.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by moshould(m): 3:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
I prefer experience, cos u can fake a degree to get d job, but can't fake an experience to achieve a perfect result..aimoye results everywhere, plenty olodo pple wey get b.sc yakpa....ise-owo is d best...
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by jsunex(m): 3:37pm On Jun 19, 2015
Companies in Nigeria belive more in certifications..
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by ikorodureporta: 3:38pm On Jun 19, 2015
The comparism shld b btw degrees & skills.
Good grades wl get u a job invite...& wil giv d exp. If shell & chevron say 2-1, na wetin concern experienced 3rdie?
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by PBundles(m): 3:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
Neither, CONNECTION aka NETWORKING.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by lurlah2014(f): 3:50pm On Jun 19, 2015
experience
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by CaptPlanet(m): 3:54pm On Jun 19, 2015
Degree gets you thru their doorstep , experience keeps you there.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jun 19, 2015
lonngmann:

Lolz

You traveling all the way from naija to Germany and Canada is a lot of experience, don't you think? grin
Hahahahahahaaa grin cheesy
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by persius555(m): 4:05pm On Jun 19, 2015
A degree will get you a job and experience will guarantee you keep the job.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by jerumax: 4:24pm On Jun 19, 2015
I like the way your brain works especially with the analogy. grin
chinae:
Degree is ur first moment of truth nd experience is the second moment of truth.

Just lik when u see a girl, her beauty will attract u to chicke her (1st moment of truth) then her character will conclude ur intention to marry, dump or flirt. (2nd moment of truth)
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by kolaaderin: 4:54pm On Jun 19, 2015
MyZoto:
Do you agree? Degrees vs. experience, which matters more?

You cant even get that experience without your degree. U will only be permitted to have an experience when u have the degree except the Job is just a common Raw Jobs like, Driver, cook, and rough factory workers.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by priincess(f): 5:00pm On Jun 19, 2015
None in Nigeria
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Superman11(m): 5:30pm On Jun 19, 2015
Any understanding that doesn't have Limits/conditions/restriction can go A-wall and most degrees tell you when to stop but experience alone without degree is raw instinct. It can go all the way and crash like a test run... They are always together Degrees and experiences. In studying for a degree you have experience in that field.
Perhaps you should rephrase the question into something like. Which is most important in one's career?
Obtaining a theory based Certification in a field without practical skills versus gaining working experience in the same field without certification..
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by akeensbussy(m): 6:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
in 2011, I got an invitation for a Post of an IT executive. when I got there, I discovered that I was the only one called for the interview. The manager said do u noticed that are the only one for this job, it is not because of qualification but your practical experience I can see in your CV, I was given the Job. I mean I head the department and anybody that was employed after then were all under me. Similar incident played out when I was employed at Dana Group 2010 as an IT Administrator. To be sincere with, am not a graduate just SSCE and A+ Certification with 15years experience on the job. I have trained graduates.

In Nigeria, we so much believed in paper certificate. No doubt there are jobs that require university certificate but Nigeria, we should know that there jobs that will also require hands on or A year of Intensive training to practice as we have it in Europe and US.

it is not everybody that must go to higher institution. if you meet me for road, u know fit know say I know be graduate.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jun 19, 2015
I ask myself dis same question evrytime. Is it abt qualification, good CV/cover or relevant work experience?

I have some professional training & certificate + HND- Coop. Econs + 6+ years pre-NYSC customer service experience + 9 months post-NYSC customer service/call center experience but i find it difficult 2 secure job invites despite having my CV's written by both national & international CV writers and was review by top recruiters to be excellent, and i wonder what might be d problem.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by ekkywolex(m): 6:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
Degree prequalifies you, experience gives you the edge over other candidates who possess degrees

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

1.2 Million Applicants Applied For 1,112 Nigeria Immigration Jobs / How Can I Be Recruited Into The Nigerian Army Without Connection? / Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.