Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,758 members, 7,798,533 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? (19008 Views)

Expert Vs Experience: How I Dealt With My Old School Boss / Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees / Are NOUN Degrees Well Recognised By Major Employers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by jossey94(m): 6:59pm On Jun 19, 2015
boldan:
After going through some of the posts here, I cannot help but laugh. How on earth can someone say experience is more important. Experience will be more important if you want a job like mechanic, shoe making, plumbing etc. However, if you want to get a very good job, there is no way you can have it without having a degree. Who will even invite you for an interview in the first place?. This is not to say experience is not important, but it is your degree first of all. THE TRUTH IS TOYOTA FOR EXAMPLE WILL NOT EMPLOY THE VERY BEST ROADSIDE TOYOTA MECHANICS NOT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW THE JOB BUT BECAUSE THERE IS NO DEGREE. Even if they get employed, they get to stay at the junior level, whereas a degree holder comes in at a supervisory level.No one is disputing the fact that experience is important, but without a degree, your experience will not take you far, you will always be at the mercy of degree holders.
In short, five bottles of orijin for u. U v spoken well. Laffing at diz ppl on d thread who think u cn only get a job 2ru experience. Den, tell me how u got dt first experience. Mtcheeew
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Pamelayoung: 11:01pm On Jun 19, 2015
Experience
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Pamelayoung: 11:05pm On Jun 19, 2015
jossey94:

In short, five bottles of orijin for u. U v spoken well. Laffing at diz ppl on d thread who think u cn only get a job 2ru experience. Den, tell me how u got dt first experience. Mtcheeew

Get experience afterward degree follows.
After degree u find most job openings requesting 4 100 years experience
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 3:15am On Jun 20, 2015
kolaaderin:

You cant even get that experience without your degree. U will only be permitted to have an experience when u have the degree except the Job is just a common Raw Jobs like, Driver, cook, and rough factory workers.
Wrong. some colleges and uni's offer internship/coop work experience before one graduates. So you already have the experience before graduation.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Olaztan: 7:09am On Jun 20, 2015
pertaining to the question a degree gets u a job faster than experience.cos its the best summary of your whole pesoňality and ability as@ wen geting d job.den ur xperience determines whether you are fit to enjoy what u just got
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by 7lives: 11:03am On Jun 20, 2015
fatdon2:
Experience, not degree,
comes first for
employers
Employers looked for the following
attributes, in decreasing
importance, when hiring graduates:
Relevant work experience
Good work ethic/attitude
Degree subject studied
Ability to be a team player
Mature attitude
Class of degree Easygoing, cheerful attitude
Reputation of university attended
Ambitious and career-minded
Natural leadership

What turned the employers off:
Poor spelling, grammar in
application
Obvious exaggerations
Poorly presented application
No relevant work experience Non-targeted CV/covering letter
No covering letter with CV
Handwritten application/CV
No interests or extracurricular
activities
Incorrect contact details for employer
Statements in CV not supported by
examples

Nothing gets you a job faster than your recognizable talent call it experience if you like.
I know a guy who cannot construct a simple sentence nor speak good English, but can charm a monkey out of a tree, this guy got his first marketing job at first interview against all odds.
Since then its been award after awards, his employers knew his weakness but are more interested in his results, and his managers will always find a way to drag him into their new designations.
As I'm typing this post, this guy has just grab another international appointment with five digit salary in dollars, facilitated by his former manager in a multinational company in Nigeria, so I believe that degree is good, experience is better, but recognizable talent is the winner.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 20, 2015
At first I wanted to shy away from this topic but conscience wnt let me. Let me just drop 2 tips.

For example, u went all out raising a bank loan worth billions of Dollars, u invested it and started a business with such a deadly interest charges like we have in Naija which ofcourse is expected to be taken care of through the perfomance of that company. Would u at any time want to gamble by employing some who never had any idea of what u do? With bank interest setting ur heart beat on a hard pound, would u want to consider a novice, use ur business as a training ground and face the consequnce of accumulated bank interest?

In a nut shell, Degrees are first 'checked' for the sake of integrity of civil service system in line with federal government employment regulation, and subsequently, employers would want to consider an employee whose experience and level of expertise would make her have some confidence to be anywhere with rest of mind that things are within control of her employees and the owner of the business can sleep with his or her two eyez closed.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Profmaojo: 2:24pm On Jun 20, 2015
Bros i know of someone who has HND but he is currently doing part-time bsc because..bsc holder earn more than him despite d fact dat he works more than them..stil telecommunication, glo precisely
OtunbaChibok:
Depend on the sector of of the economy actually. In telecomunications(engineering),degree won't fetch you the dough you deserves........experience does. Atleast I know a lot of OND graduate with much experience earning far better than BSC holders.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by harbayo20(m): 5:45pm On Jun 20, 2015
I wanna say this to people who has the ability to reason along with me

Invest in yourself sometimes college degree doesn't guarantee one to be successful in life.You have to take the leap of faith;make the jump from who you're today to where you wanna be coz nobody cares abouh your story until you win.
SO WIN!!

when you keep sending in proposals and you get no response, Create your own business and start receiving proposals... Be bold,Do what the ordinary fear... Start making a difference and also make money while doing it.

Sometimes I wonder why don't they make Bentley,Lamborghini and other high end car commercials...then i realize its Because the people that can afford them are not watching TV.
Be that someone who jumps off a cliff and builds a plane on the way down!
And if you're lucky enough to do well,don't forget to send the elevator back down!...

The hidden secret is if you want to change your bank account, start changing people's live.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Nobody: 10:51am On Jun 22, 2015
boldan:
After going through some of the posts here, I cannot help but laugh. How on earth can someone say experience is more important. Experience will be more important if you want a job like mechanic, shoe making, plumbing etc. However, if you want to get a very good job, there is no way you can have it without having a degree. Who will even invite you for an interview in the first place?. This is not to say experience is not important, but it is your degree first of all. THE TRUTH IS TOYOTA FOR EXAMPLE WILL NOT EMPLOY THE VERY BEST ROADSIDE TOYOTA MECHANICS NOT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW THE JOB BUT BECAUSE THERE IS NO DEGREE. Even if they get employed, they get to stay at the junior level, whereas a degree holder comes in at a supervisory level.No one is disputing the fact that experience is important, but without a degree, your experience will not take you far, you will always be at the mercy of degree holders.

Degree will only get you an interview , but experience gets you a good job.
Re: Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? by Elkewwty(f): 6:51pm On Jun 30, 2015
tellwisdom:

No be canopy wey dem suppose take do party you wear for head so?? sad

lol grin for your town, right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Iniobong Umoren's Murder: Women March To Akwa Ibom Government House / Mactay Consulting Recruitment / 1.2 Million Applicants Applied For 1,112 Nigeria Immigration Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.