Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Is English Literature Really The Best? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is English Literature Really The Best? (1532 Views)

Is English Nigeria's First Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 16, 2015
Okay my literary folks. I had an argument with a friend and the topic was if English Literature comes on top of every other Literature.... So What's your take on this? Is the English Literature greater than the Chinese Literature, African Literature, African American Literature and the Hindu Literature??

Cc:
Sensible folks....
Literarymarthy
Omotayor123
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by lordizak(m): 2:35pm On Jun 16, 2015
there are more words in English literature... that makes it rich and diverse.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 16, 2015
lordizak:
there are more words in English literature... that makes it rich and diverse.
Have you had the opportunity to explore African Literature?
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Omotayor123(f): 2:50pm On Jun 16, 2015
I have only studied English literature... Did a bit of African literature though.

But really I enjoyed African literature most.. They remind me of my root #
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by timpaker(m): 3:51pm On Jun 16, 2015
To me African literature is the best then followed by Caribbean literature....

English literature is just overated and it is very vast.

Hindu Literature? That's like the most difficult of them all.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by lordizak(m): 6:37pm On Jun 16, 2015
Freemanan:
Have you had the opportunity to explore African Literature?
not really, but English is more diverse. it is a derivative of so many languages. how many word are used in Africa literature that are borrowed.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by stuff46(m): 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2015
Since English language have not been classified by me as one of those things one must surely learn if not, i will not bother myself to being acquited with it.

I adore African litrature. I cherish african belief's. I wish i have will have resourse, time to exlore Africa. It will be cool.

English is a low ground when compared to home-breaded African lititure.

Cc. LarrySun I will love to hear youe view.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2015
lordizak:

not really, but English is more diverse.
it is a derivative of so many languages.
how many word are used in Africa literature that are borrowed.
You have a point
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by stuff46(m): 7:56pm On Jun 16, 2015
lordizak:
not really, but English is more diverse. it is a derivative of so many languages. how many word are used in Africa literature that are borrowed.
English has almost all wordings borrowed.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2015
Omotayor123:
I have only studied English literature... Did a bit of African literature though.

But really I enjoyed African literature most.. They remind me of my root #
Mutual opinion love.... African Literature tho is not as broad as English Literature but it is highly metaphysical and didactic...

2 Likes

Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 16, 2015
stuff46:

English has almost all wordings borrowed.
Very correct....
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jun 16, 2015
timpaker:

Lol... Actually Hindu Literature is more of orals (meditation) and mostly religious..

Please which African Literature work wow you the most?
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jun 16, 2015
stuff46:
Since English language have not been classified by me as one of those things one must surely learn if not, i will not bother myself to being acquited with it.

I adore African litrature. I cherish african belief's. I wish i have will have resourse, time to exlore Africa. It will be cool.

English is a low ground when compared to home-breaded African lititure.

Cc. LarrySun I will love to hear youe view.
Your opinion is not out of place... But We cannot underestimate the influence of English Language as a whole.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by LarrySun(m): 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2015
The French Literature surpasses them all, as far as I'm concerned though.

1 Like

Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by tpiadotcom: 12:49am On Jun 18, 2015
Freemanan:
Okay my literary folks. I had an argument with a friend and the topic was if English Literature comes on top of every other Literature.... So What's your take on this? Is the English Literature greater than the Chinese Literature, African Literature, African American Literature and the Hindu Literature??

Cc:
Sensible folks....
Literarymarthy
Omotayor123

What is your own personal opinion, what type of literature do you personally prefer?

Your thread is half baked.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 18, 2015
tpiadotcom:

What is your own personal opinion, what type of literature do you personally prefer?

Your thread is half baked.

I don't want my followers to be bias so That's Why I made my position unclear..... My friend is equally following this thread.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 18, 2015
LarrySun:
The French Literature surpasses them all, as far as I'm concerned though.
Haven't had the opportunity to appreciate the French Literature. I will appreciate it if you can recommend some Magnum opus for me... Thanks
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by tpiadotcom: 5:33pm On Jun 18, 2015
Freemanan:

I don't want my followers to be bias so That's Why I made my position unclear..... My friend is equally following this thread.

But your thread itself is biased.

Anyway, having a personal preference for certain types of literature, should not be considered a big deal, and I hope your followers are allowed to think for themselves?
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jun 18, 2015
tpiadotcom:

But your thread itself is biased.

Anyway, having a personal preference for certain types of literature, should not be considered a big deal, and I hope your followers are allowed to think for themselves?
I thought you had something to share with the house.

Alas
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by tpiadotcom: 9:44pm On Jun 18, 2015
Freemanan:

I thought I had something to share with the house.

Alas
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by tpiadotcom: 9:48pm On Jun 18, 2015
Freemanan:

Cc:
Sensible folks....
Literarymarthy
Omotayor123

A better way to go about this is:

Open a thread for literature of each of the languages you mentioned, including those you personally prefer.

Rather than start meaningless, unnecessary and self defeating comparisons which limit the creative process and give the participants the appearance of being half baked and semi-literate, specific threads featuring the literature you like, should fill whatever reason you have for comparing to begin with.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 18, 2015
tpiadotcom:

A better way to go about this is:

Open a thread for literature of each of the languages you mentioned, including those you personally prefer.

Rather than start meaningless, unnecessary and self defeating comparisons which limit the creative process and give the participants the appearance of being half baked and semi-literate, specific threads featuring the literature you like, should fill whatever reason you have for comparing to begin with.

Observations noted
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by tpiadotcom: 10:49pm On Jun 18, 2015
Thank you.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by timpaker(m): 2:33pm On Jun 19, 2015
Freemanan:

Lol... Actually Hindu Literature is more of orals (meditation) and mostly religious..

Please which African Literature work wow you the most?

[b]Its poetry and songs are also part of Hindu (Afro-asian) literature in which at most times, people are made to perform choreograph to a larger audience. Again, the part i find difficult is the Ramayana literature (who the hell has time to read that long verses of dharma et al. The Krishna methodology is another one that will lock you up in confusion. You have to practice either be or have the religious background to actually decipher it because it is historical. No wonder they're always designing mind-troubling poetry forms. Who they hell invented the Ghazal by the way? angry

I love African literature (my root cool ...

Of course the best African Literature still remains Chinua Achebe's "Things fall apart". I remember in one conference in Amsterdam, at the mention of the book by a professor, the whole lecture room went berserk. Another great African work is that of Camera Laye's "L'Enfant Noir" ( I hope i spelt it directly). I once read a critique of his book by a friend and since then I stopped reading Western literatures.

[/b]
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 19, 2015
timpaker:

[b]Its poetry and songs are also part of Hindu (Afro-asian) literature in which at most times, people are made to perform choreograph to a larger audience. Again, the part i find difficult is the Ramayana literature (who the hell has time to read that long verses of dharma et al. The Krishna methodology is another one that will lock you up in confusion. You have to practice either be or have the religious background to actually decipher it because it is historical. No wonder they're always designing mind-troubling poetry forms. Who they hell invented the Ghazal by the way? angry

I love African literature (my root cool ...

Of course the best African Literature still remains Chinua Achebe's "Things fall apart". I remember in one conference in Amsterdam, at the mention of the book by a professor, the whole lecture room went berserk. Another great African work is that of Camera Laye's "L'Enfant Noir" ( I hope i spelt it directly). I once read a critique of his book by a friend and since then I stopped reading Western literatures.

[/b]
Great choice Mate... Laye depicts the African life both past and present...
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by EfemenaXY: 4:07pm On Aug 23, 2015
Freemanan:

Cc:
Sensible folks....
Literarymarthy
Omotayor123

Impossible to say. At best, it's subjective and subject to personal opinion.

I also think it depends to a large extent on how the writer(s) representing a particular culture relay their messages to readers. If you're good at your game, people out there would enjoy your work(s), irrespective of culture.

Having said that, I personally love traditional, African literature. African literature in my opinion just ROCKS!! Especially if the theme and setting is based on ancient times.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by joseph1832(m): 4:51pm On Aug 23, 2015
Hindu literature, Chinese literature etc men I wouldn't know, I've only been exposed to two set of literature, English and African literature and so far, both are good. Now I don't know about others, but I want to try Japanese literature, I'm obsessed with Japan.

If I have the opportunity to choose my nationality, I'll choose Japanese without a second thought!.
Re: Is English Literature Really The Best? by joseph1832(m): 4:59pm On Aug 23, 2015
timpaker:

Caribbean Literature, I only studied just one Caribbean literati, MutaBaruka!.

I read dis poem by MutabAruka and my jaw dropped.

(1) (Reply)

Nebuchadnezzar - The Mistaken Murderer / John C. Maxwell & John Manson / Short Story:the Teenage Life Of Francis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.