Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,502 members, 7,781,525 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:11 PM

Procedure For Building A Storey Building - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Procedure For Building A Storey Building (36918 Views)

Checkout The First Storey Building In Nigeria / Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 9:29pm On Feb 23, 2009
Good day folks,
I would like the experts in the house to take a look at this procedure in starting a storey building of four flats. Advise me on the merits and the demerits in any of the processes, considering safety, structural viability, proper usage of materials, and of course, cost.I would also like to know the importance of German floor, is it very necessary

Dig 3ft deep X 1.5ft wide for the foundation
Dig basket base 6 inches deeper 3ft X 3ft
Cast basket in basket base with mortar of 1in granite cement and sand
Basket is made with Y 16 High yield steel
Blind the foundation with 5 inch thick mortar of 1 in granite, cement and sand
Lay 6 coaches of 9in block for the foundation
Cast the pillars with pre fabricated 16mm rods,3/4in granite cement and sand
Fill foundation with laterite
Wet laterite with water ram laterite
German floor with 3/4in granite
Laying of blocks for partitioning the rooms ETC
Casting of pillars and lintels
ETC

1 Like

Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Tosola: 2:18pm On Feb 25, 2009
In as much as i see as stated, the process is right but am not quite sure of some of the measurement you have mentioned. From my observation it appears you do not have a structural drawing that has been duely approved by the relevant authorities, if not you will not be asking these questions. How ever if you have not done your relevant design of your structure, i will advise that you do that first and get the right proffessionals to do your work. You could as well contact me for this drawings and consultancy on your building through brand.specs@yahoo.com or call me on 07025693803.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 4:33pm On Feb 25, 2009
I have done the structural design by a proffesional already,and it has been approved,the guy handling the job gave me this procedure and i just wanted to seek opinion of other profesionnal concerining this procedure.Thanks
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Tosola: 2:34pm On Feb 27, 2009
If the design has been done that is fine. From what you have said the procedures are correct but please ensure that the measurement are taking from the drawing. I have reservation for the dimensions
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 3:23pm On Feb 27, 2009
Which of the dimension,pls state which one and whats wrong with it
Pls is german floor compulsory for storey building
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by wolexbrain: 6:59pm On Mar 06, 2009
i love this
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 7:46pm On Mar 06, 2009
So many views , very few replys

wolexbrain:

i love this

What aspect of it do you like
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by larryokun: 11:13pm On Mar 06, 2009
It appears nobody likes to contribute to topics of interest other than just read
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 2:52pm On Mar 07, 2009
@Larry okun

What do you think,i guess ure into building too
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by larryokun: 3:35pm On Mar 07, 2009
I have not started building at all. Everything appears too complicated for a prospective builder these days in Lagos. Maybe I may just buy one or build 4 flats to decking level. I wanted someone in the house to give me the estimate for a 4 flat storey building to decking level, nobody has responded

People are no longer replying fellow members in this forum This is very bad these days
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 10:12pm On Mar 07, 2009
Estimate these days are very difficult,prices of building material is as unstable as the wave of the sea.The cement i just bought for 1650 has suddenly gone up to 2500.There is a cartel somewhere trying to make things difficult for the common man.So also is rod and every other materials

As for the estimate ,for the foundation i think you will need up to 2.0 to 2.5 mill
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 10:26pm On Mar 14, 2009
More response pls
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by ajileko: 8:01pm On May 04, 2009
@tundysho
German flooring is very important in the construction of a building only if done right. Make sure the laterite is well packed and preferably let sit for about 2 weeks after the initial packing to settle and harden. Your German floor or concrete slab should be no less than 4 inches in thickness and up to 6 inches in the car garrage if you have one. Also, depending on where you are located the 6 coaches of 9in block is on the high side. 4 to 5 coaches is normal.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 11:46am On May 05, 2009
Thanks Ajileko

Any demerits with the 6 coaches apart from cost?
I actually left the laterite for about 5 wks b4 casting.The casting was 6in
What do you think about using 6in blocks for the top floor and 12mm rods,is it ok
Als can you confirm to me the right proportion of cement:sand:gravel for the decking
i will like to compare with what my contractor is proposing to use
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by ajileko: 7:02am On May 07, 2009
6 coaches is great if you can afford the extra cost of blocks and cement plus you will be sitting quite high and your house will never be flooded. The concrete mixture ratio should be 1:2:4 for cement sand and gravel.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by chitown(m): 7:05am On May 07, 2009
ajileko,
please keep up the good work.i have followed all ur write ups.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by tundysho(m): 3:41pm On May 08, 2009
@AJI

tHANKS A MILLION
WHAT ABOUT THE ROD AND THE BLOCK FOR THE UPPER FLOOR FLOOR I TALKED ABOUT
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by ajileko: 9:46pm On May 27, 2009
No, use 9 in block for the whole project except for some of the inside partitions.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 28, 2009
1. The aforesaid procedure is ok. But lots of details have been left. Be careful in your negotiations so your contractor wound not later claim that he forgot to include some aspect of work.

2. You seem to be more interested in cost control to the nearest minimum. This is beginning to affect your quality control decisions. Pls exercise caution.

3. If you are sure you will never go beyond the 1st floor, then Y12 is ok for the upper floor. but the foundation and ground floor must be a minimum of Y16.

4. Exception to this is if you are building on a sand-filled land. Pls follow ur engrs specification.

5. You should use 225mm block for all external and structural supporting walls. 150mm is ok for partition walls.

6. The height of your foundation shld depend on your terrain. 4 layers of block work is o.k for flat terrain. Whilst 4,5 or 6 layers shld be considered for undulating terrains.

7. 1.3.6 concrete mix for foundation and ground floor slab.  1.2.4 for columns and  beams.

8.Concrete floor slab (or German floor as its being called in local parlance) is absolutely compulsory. No time to enumerate its advantages.

9. Anyone giving you an abstract estimate on a forum is only exhibiting his/her high profile mediocrity. This should be not be celebrated. Cost is determinant of so many factors, location, size of building, quality of work, materials used, quality of workmanship, etc. The mere fact that Mr A charged you N5 and 'B' N10 does not mean that 'B' is a cheat. YOU SHOULD BE SMART TO READ IN BETWEEN BOTH LINES

FOR MORE FREE INFORMATION ON HOW YOU CAN PERFECTLY EXECUTE YOUR PROJECTS FROM START TO FINISH.
MAIL ME (my email is below)

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by ajileko: 12:33am On May 29, 2009
Well said.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by ituahanne: 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2012
a one storey building of two flats each flat with three bedroom and a living room,each bedroom is in situ.how many blocks would be required,how many bags of cement required
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by matinex(m): 9:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
oh! why did experienced people stopped dishing out knowledge here. i am interested in learning more.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by stpat1(m): 10:15am On Apr 26, 2016
How deep do one need to dig for foundation of a 2 storey building? Not water logged area. Also, won't the foundation need to be chained?
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by obiezeprince(m): 1:48pm On Jun 16, 2017
Interesting I must say.
I am a Civil Engineering student and I am really enjoying this conversation but I want to ask please, Is it right and advisable to build a storey building with 12mm steel throught the project?
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Lyrajane(m): 9:46pm On Jun 26, 2017
Hello good people of Nija, I just joined this forum and I will appreciate professional responses . How long does take to complete filling and german floor(oversite ) . What is the best concrete mix ? 1:3:6 or 1:2:4? My architect is standing in as the Engr . He owns 1and 2 degree. The project is 4 flats with 3 bedroom each (2 flats up and 2 flat down.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Ugochimaleze: 7:09am On Apr 08, 2019
I am building a 2 storey hostel block of 30 self contain rooms. 10 on each floor.

We used 16mm rods for the foundation and ground floor.

Can someone experienced in building please confirm if we also need 16mm for the beams and lintel on the first floor?

My engineer says we only need 12mm for the pillars and lintel.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 08, 2019
Ugochimaleze:
I am building a 2 storey hostel block of 30 self contain rooms. 10 on each floor.

We used 16mm rods for the foundation and ground floor.

Can someone experienced in building please confirm if we also need 16mm for the beams and lintel on the first floor?

My engineer says we only need 12mm for the pillars and lintel.

On the first floor, you will need 12mm for the lintel , 10mm for the stirrups(links) and 16mm for the beam on the decking, not forgetting 12mm for the floor of the decking.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Ugochimaleze: 4:39pm On Apr 08, 2019
Segzy- Thank you. This make perfect sense to me.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Hum2020: 6:26pm On Apr 08, 2019
tundysho:

Good day folks,
I would like the experts in the house to take a look at this procedure in starting a storey building of four flats. Advise me on the merits and the demerits in any of the processes, considering safety, structural viability, proper usage of materials, and of course, cost.I would also like to know the importance of German floor, is it very necessary

Dig 3ft deep X 1.5ft wide for the foundation
Dig basket base 6 inches deeper 3ft X 3ft
Cast basket in basket base with mortar of 1in granite cement and sand
Basket is made with Y 16 High yield steel
Blind the foundation with 5 inch thick mortar of 1 in granite, cement and sand
Lay 6 coaches of 9in block for the foundation
Cast the pillars with pre fabricated 16mm rods,3/4in granite cement and sand
Fill foundation with laterite
Wet laterite with water ram laterite
German floor with 3/4in granite
Laying of blocks for partitioning the rooms ETC
Casting of pillars and lintels
ETC

Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Hum2020: 6:29pm On Apr 08, 2019
Open I think that 3ft is too low while not make it 4ft that is the standard for a duplex
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by Heyllle(m): 6:17am On Dec 12, 2021
I decided to make repairs in my house, or to be more precise, to replace all the windows with new ones. I was looking for which company at a good price could make a discount on windows. Pretty quickly I found a list of companies that provides Rebates on Windows and Doors and am very happy with it.
Re: Procedure For Building A Storey Building by FEGEITOK: 12:26am On Nov 28, 2022
1. The aforesaid procedure is ok. But lots of details have been left. Be careful in your negotiations so your contractor wound not later claim that he forgot to include some aspect of work.

2. You seem to be more interested in cost control to the nearest minimum. This is beginning to affect your quality control decisions. Pls exercise caution.

3. If you are sure you will never go beyond the 1st floor, then Y12 is ok for the upper floor. but the foundation and ground floor must be a minimum of Y16.

4. Exception to this is if you are building on a sand-filled land. Pls follow ur engrs specification.

5. You should use 225mm block for all external and structural supporting walls. 150mm is ok for partition walls.

6. The height of your foundation shld depend on your terrain. 4 layers of block work is o.k for flat terrain. Whilst 4,5 or 6 layers shld be considered for undulating terrains.

7. 1.3.6 concrete mix for foundation and ground floor slab.  1.2.4 for columns and  beams.

8.Concrete floor slab (or German floor as its being called in local parlance) is absolutely compulsory. No time to enumerate its advantages.

9. Anyone giving you an abstract estimate on a forum is only exhibiting his/her high profile mediocrity. This should be not be celebrated. Cost is determinant of so many factors, location, size of building, quality of work, materials used, quality of workmanship, etc. The mere fact that Mr A charged you N5 and 'B' N10 does not mean that 'B' is a cheat. YOU SHOULD BE SMART TO READ IN BETWEEN BOTH LINES

FOR MORE FREE INFORMATION ON HOW YOU CAN PERFECTLY EXECUTE YOUR PROJECTS FROM START TO FINISH.
MAIL ME (my email is below)
@

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Are Very Wicked / 8 Flats Of 3 Bedrooms Construction In Awkunanaw Enugu / Nigerian Cities Should Look Like This (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.