Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas (8938 Views)

Stop Paying For Hosting! Host Your Site/blog On Google Free Of Charge!!! / Paying For Facebook Page Promotion / Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by help3852: 11:42am On Jun 19, 2015
1. Anyone who seeks similar ideas can browse GOOGLE and Get the info or better ideas for free.

2. If the ideas worth it and is as easy as the writer presents them, he should be implementing those ideas.

3. If Dangote and Linda Ikeji writes a book on Entrepreneurship, which will you buy.

4. Previous fraud experience.

5. Someone once bought a book online, on reading it, the book was not worth it

6. Marketing strategy

7. And so on
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by EndtimeBlessing: 11:43am On Jun 19, 2015
I remember the guy who started Iroko TV said all the money he makes from his venture is basically from abroad (Nigerians abroad and others).
This means it has to do more with the Nigerian business environment. Let me try:
1) Fraud - Do you know Nigerians (including those of us abroad) find it difficult to use our Bank cards on Nigerian websites?
2) Awareness - Internet awareness is just unfolding in Nigeria. Most people do very minimal things on the internet.
3) Independence - this is linked to number 2; people have existed for long without the internet. They don't feel they have need for any thing that they cannot get without the internet.

I believe with time it will get better. Please don't be discouraged.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by chaxking(m): 11:44am On Jun 19, 2015
I never see food chop I go come dy go pay online kiniko wen scammers full ground, Op no vex me o sad angry
player007:
I made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I was a little carried away.
Back to your question. To my own understanding its not because we always want free things, I think its because we don't really trust ourselves. There are scammers every where.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by chaxking(m): 11:45am On Jun 19, 2015
Op take tym o I don even cus of hunger go vex for another nairalander, no be wen u eat belle ful u go think dis one? angry
caoalvin:
please why are Nigerians not paying for any online ideas that someone introduce online be it membership site, online stock report, ebooks etc. Nigerians just love free things both online and offline its not encouraging as an entrepreneur. pls let's know the reasons why Nigerians don't pay for any online ideas apart from webhosting fee, any other ideas they don't pay.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by damiloladuke: 11:46am On Jun 19, 2015
poverty is the problem and lack of orientation

READ THE DIARY OF A JOBLESS NAIJA YOUTH HERE www.wenogetjob..com
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by pBuhari(f): 11:46am On Jun 19, 2015
we just love free things that is for sure.
More free tips here please ...
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by AZeD1(m): 11:47am On Jun 19, 2015
Is what you are selling what paying for?
Nigerians buy stuff online from Konga, Jumia and the likes so if they are not buying from you, you need to check what you are selling.

PS: If you sell ebooks like "start importing business with 50k", "a guide to sports betting" etc you should not be complaining.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by Wenom: 11:49am On Jun 19, 2015
Need help with posting latest news on your blog,u can contact me on
BBM:2B12159B
Whatsapp: 07031188114,08032947048
You cn also check out:
www.naijaxplore..com for latest news on entertainment,music,politics,gossip and lots...
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by osile2012: 11:52am On Jun 19, 2015
Nigerians are still intimidated by Technology, They reject what they dont understand rather than embrace it to their advantage.

Nigerians will rather complain and rant online about a company, rather than clicking the link on my signature to rate them.

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by Nazeeboy(m): 11:54am On Jun 19, 2015
They don scam me too much angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by hahn(m): 12:00pm On Jun 19, 2015
Darkchocolate:
Knowledge is free. You can find information on any thing online absolutely free. The key is knowing when to invest in yourself to delve deeper into that realm of knowledge which you seek.

Additionally, our distrustful culture (scams, frauds, etc) makes us less likely to pay for information when we can easily get it free elsewhere. Like someone said, establish the worth of the information you are offering and watch people offer you thousands to acquire that information.

BTW...did you know that top schools in the world like Harvard, Yale, Oxford; they all offer free online courses!!!
You just have to know where to look!!!!!
wink

Knowledge is free? And yet people pay millions just to acquire degrees in universities? Yes, there are a lot of free info online but they only lead to to where you have to pay fr the REAL info. Harvard, Yale, Oxford offer free online courses but they also offer some of the most expensive courses and you even have to pay to write/get the certificate for the FREE courses.

Nigerians still have the belief that you have to go to school to become successful and really not everyone is ready to pay for information that MIGHT lead to financial freedom because there are not enough role models to look up to. Nigerians can't pay N3500 for an ebook but they don't mind paying through their noses to attend our universities that offer zero assurance of you becoming rich in the future. Nigerians don't seek knowledge either. I can't how many times people have asked me "you wan write exam?" When they see me reading a book.

Aside from the hungry internet marketing who edit most information and try to sell it even the trusted and proven internet marketrs who make lots of money have their clientelle abroad. And there's just too much scam and even Nigerians know that Nigerians are not reliable. How can you trust someone that can't even keep an appointment and be there on time with your money?

Op, if you really want to make money off the internet, create a profile with a white man in the picture and claim you are based in the US. You'll get more sales that way
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by samseen02(m): 12:02pm On Jun 19, 2015
Dmayor7:

I concur with you absolutely....

For Naija trust dey too low cos everybody be alobam.....

Well, you only need Authority to sell good in Naija and anywhere....

Without attaining an Authoritative position in whatever you do online, you can never make a good sale....

You only attain Authority through copyrighting and good content marketing.

Seth Godin said it well:

"there are the people, there are the language they use"

So you can never be an authority with including all the aspect of good seo in your copyrighting.

Wish you good luck...

can't so much be correct than this

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by Freelancer007(m): 12:04pm On Jun 19, 2015
It's because Trust, Authority and the Will to make a decision about a product/service are lacking!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by iykepromotions: 12:07pm On Jun 19, 2015
Nigerians are paying but the problem is most of information products people are selling are lies and don't normally work. some are even selling what they have never tried before and that have discouraged a lot of people that most online business are scams. nevertheless i keep on saying it that one of the easiest way to make money is online however when you see a business opportunity go online and do your personal research before investing a dime. now for those who are still searching for a genuine way to make money online, learn how to make money with EXPIRED DOMAIN NAMES. this business is an old business but still very new in Nigeria with few people making money from it. i have opened about two awareness threads in this subject here on nairaland and have sold several manuals and ONE ON ONE trainings concerning this business mostly from nairaland. for full details visit www.julanky.com once again before taking any action at julanky.com or any online money making website, go online and research more
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by Slimmos(m): 12:15pm On Jun 19, 2015
help3852:
1. Anyone who seeks similar ideas can browse GOOGLE and Get the info or better ideas for free.

2. If the ideas worth it and is as easy as the writer presents them, he should be implementing those ideas.

3. If Dangote and Linda Ikeji writes a book on Entrepreneurship, which will you buy.

4. Previous fraud experience.

5. Someone once bought a book online, on reading it, the book was not worth it

6. Marketing strategy

7. And so on
u said it all bro. u want to sell a book on how to make 1 million a month, yet u cant follow dat instruction if urs and make 1 million a month. sounds like a fraud, isn't it?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by mradjoy(m): 12:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
This is a serious issue at hand, the major problem I found with this is that so many people are not willing take risk with their hard earned money, it's not really their fault, our economy is not helping too, imagine when someone who earns peanut as monthly salary and also has backlog of debts to pay, so many parasites in the family to cater for, and so many things that you have to pay for even though you don't get to use them. e.g Electricity, but this person is willing to buy, but doesn't have the purchasing power to do so.

Another set of people love show off, they buy liabilities as against assets, some will prefer to buy shirts, makeup and even ice cream than to pay for a book which will give them self-improvement that later turn you into a world class person in the future.

Someone mentioned scammers and someone talked about how they'll never buy from you because it is a rehash product, fine do you know that if you're afraid of being scammed, your chances of success is very slim, if you want to succeed in life part of your learning curve is falling prey to these so called internet scammers, hey don't get me wrong, I am not saying you should be gullible, but if you're afraid of being scammed, how then do you learn to be smart? You just have to know how to cut your losses and move on.

Sometime last month (May) a friend of mine on this forum who happens to be a banker saw a sales letter/pitch on this forum and was immediately hypnotized by this sweet talking pitch, he wanted to buy straight away but on a second thought he consulted me and I after looking at the sales pitch I told my friend this guy isn't the true owner of the software he's trying to sell to you, please don't buy it, but he insisted that the software will help him achieve his aim on the Online Business I was helping him to set up, so this time I paused and said you know you what, just buy it after all it's just ₦1.5k you can afford it. He did and it eventually turned out to be a pirated copy of a software that I already have and use even for his online Biz that I was setting up for him. Now what if he'd not taken such risk will he learn to be cautious next time, he learned his lessons but he never allowed that to distract him from moving on, presently my friend is smiling, he's not there yet, but gradually seeing the result of perseverance and action taking.

Some say knowledge is free, quite right, what about knowledge without motivation, what about those who has the knowledge but failed to monetize it, what about those lecturers back in university days who can even teach the entire syllabus without looking at any text book, but do not have a book of their own, are they justifying the knowledge rightly? OK what if I gave something valuable to you free of charge, but asked for voluntary donation, will you still donate?

The truth is some people no matter how valuable a product is even if it's sold for ₦200, they'll never pay for it, but prefer to search for free alternatives which will not improve their life from where it was the previous day. Quite ironically, these same set of people can afford to buy expensive jewelry, latest iPhones, trendy shoes etc.

So my token for you, if you can afford it buy it, but if you can't because of those economic/family luggage, don't worry just be focused, aim at it, in no time you'll be able to, in the nearest future, but at the same time, you'll have to deny yourself some things so that you can afford some good things that will improve your life.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by prettyJoy22(f): 12:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
They should try to make the process of paying easier,e.g I once saw a site were u could pay 4 ebooks tru ur mobile operator by sending text messages to the number they provided. I think such medium of payments should be encouraged.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by bigx(m): 1:03pm On Jun 19, 2015
Probably wack, rehashed ideas. People pay... for value
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by kaysce(m): 1:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
if you have good online ideas, i can help reach fundings with expert support that would help make these ideas unto great heights.

i do not mean recharge cards ideas or the likes pls.

Please be ready to defend your proposal as it will be THOROUGHLY scrutinized, analyzed by myself firstly ( i have a brand to protect) and other experts.

you can reach mi @ kaysce4life@yahoo.co.uk.

God Bless.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jun 19, 2015
caoalvin:
please why are Nigerians not paying for any online ideas that someone introduce online be it membership site, online stock report, ebooks etc. Nigerians just love free things both online and offline its not encouraging as an entrepreneur. pls let's know the reasons why Nigerians don't pay for any online ideas apart from webhosting fee, any other ideas they don't pay.
Remember, dot com ain't what it used to be, it is not a trend in Nigeria only, even in the US, when I see what might be a good guide to business line or something else been offered for sale, my question is “Can I get it else where free?”. The internet has become so vast, that what you want to sell, someone else is giving it out free.
Some amount of research comes up with free resource.
If I should patronize your stock report to buy, I will likely turn to bloomberg,,Nasdaq, or FTT for an in depth analyzes.
When you develop a niche and cliche for exampe jumia,konga,dealdey etc people will come in droves
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by 2scorehigh(m): 2:51pm On Jun 19, 2015
In my honest opinion, these are some of the reasons why this is so.

IGNORANCE
Believe it or not, so many Nigerians are still ignorant on how things work online. I'm speaking from personal experience. Some time last year, I wrote a novel and shared it here on nairaland. I had so many followership. I had so many praises.

Until I announced the novel is actually for sale.

Some grumbled but you can imagine how shocking it was to me when I discovered that those who wanted to buy haven't or didn't know anything about PayPal!

I must say it wasn't funny at all as I ended up 'lecturing' peeps who could be graduates or undergrads on how to open a PayPal account!

SCAMS
Like someone rightly identified, so many Nigerians have come to identify anything online as scams. You wouldn't blame them though. The internet makes scams to be so easily perpetrated because most times you are dealing with people you haven't and most probably, will never see.

Furthermore,;ours is a society where get-rich-quick mentality is the in thing. So more scammers will be born and hence, more people will still be scammed!

BAD ECONOMY
Our sad economy has also forced people to prioritize. Again, you wouldn't blame them. According to Anthony Robbins, most people would rather fight to keep what they already have than struggle to get more.

And finally, the last but not the least...

QUANTITY OVER QUALITY
I read in one entrepreneurship book that one of the problems of doing business with Nigerians is that most of our business people prefer profit over customers' satisfaction.

So how do you expect someone to keep on paying you for your product when all you have is a collection.of copy n pasted material or information that.is not feasible?

The way I see it, that ain't good for business at all!

But that said, it's not all hope lost for Nigerian netpreneurs. To me, it's just a matter of time. And one day we'll all get there because the online business in Nigeria is still pretty much a virgin goldmine.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 3:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
kay29000:
It is very true. I sell online, so I can testify to this. Out of 100 people I chat with, maybe 10 will show real interest and then 2 will pay for the book I sell. It is a tough job...filled with people abusing you and calling you all sorts of names. 90% Of Nigerians believe anything done online is a scam. In my 5 years of doing business online, I would say the people from the North are the most trusting people online. I don't have to do too much convincing for them to believe I am not a scam. And then you have the people that just WANT FREE 99. I know how to spot them once I start chatting, so I don't waste too much time with them.
Yes you are right. People from the North are trust worthy than those from the south, east and west. So far i never had any problem dealing with those from the North. Just a try from one Chukwuma the guy made away with my money and shut me down completely on facebook. Just N1500 ooo the guy took it and refuse to deliver then block me on facebook. Another guy Idowu, same thing happen. And the OP expect me to continue giving my money out to scammers? NO WAY.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by moshould(m): 3:36pm On Jun 19, 2015
Only d poverty wey dey naija is enough to expand ur brain and tell u what u need to do with your life...no be only online, na underline...ozuoor
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by bego: 3:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
Because there is no adequate legislation on intellectual property. piracy is the order of the day.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by willian10: 4:03pm On Jun 19, 2015
Naija people sha, i told one guy that he should download the an app free in d market. He was happy, hoping that he'll just download it free like dat, dat because it's a free app, he' won't have to use his data nd besides we don't trust ourselves, i prefer to buy a 10k phone from a close shop rather than buying it 5k from Jumia nd co.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by johnabr(m): 4:36pm On Jun 19, 2015
We are getting almost free in the net, then why should we pay for it.If a site is charging for example E-book, we can we get the same thing in another site for free.which one would be preferred,free!!!.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by kay29000(m): 4:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
CyracksMrBlogger:
Yes you are right. People from the North are trust worthy than those from the south, east and west. So far i never had any problem dealing with those from the North. Just a try from one Chukwuma the guy made away with my money and shut me down completely on facebook. Just N1500 ooo the guy took it and refuse to deliver then block me on facebook. Another guy Idowu, same thing happen. And the OP expect me to continue giving my money out to scammers? NO WAY.

Okay. I understand. Let's turn d table around, and look at it from my own angle. Just on Tuesday, I trusted this Owolabi guy, and sent him my book upfront. He said he was going to pay d next day before 2pm...Sounded so responsible and all, but he turned to something else d next day. Long story short, he didn't pay. Similar situations like this have happened to me like 5 times in the last three months. And that is me the seller getting ripped off.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by kalimera101: 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2015
imolore:
Becos we can also go online to search for ideas and infomation
so why should we pay for what u copied and paste, when we can do better? Abeg tell me o!

God bless u.
All this their generic ebooks that don't do shit. And you want to be paid for lack of originality.

Mtcheww. Go and drink orijin Jare.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by kalimera101: 6:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
kay29000:

Okay. I understand. Let's turn d table around, and look at it from my own angle. Just on Tuesday, I trusted this Owolabi guy, and sent him my book upfront. He said he was going to pay d next day before 2pm...Sounded so responsible and all, but he turned to something else d next day. Long story short, he didn't pay. Similar situations like this have happened to me like 5 times in the last three months. And that is me the seller getting ripped off.

Your case is funny sha.
Sorry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by kalimera101: 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
If you have an original business idea, I don't mind even borrowing the money to invest with you. But most of assume that you are great marketers and try to lure naive ants to the sugar coated Web of deceit and scam.

The standard step of being paid for a job remains - present your "unique "qualifications, if it is desired you'll be hired or paid, if it's not then NEXT PLEASE.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by jimmynauty: 6:55pm On Jun 19, 2015
webincomeplus:
The problem is that most people rush to put up their premium products without making a name for themselves first. Nobody will buy from someone they don't know or trust.

You can make sales consistently to a Nigerian audience if you can take your time to build trust and establish yourself as an expert before making any attempt to sell anything.

One of the strategies for establishing trust is to give away lots of valuable information for free. Once people come to trust you and regard you as an expert, they'll eagerly buy anything you offer for sale.

I spent two years trying to build trust and establish my expertise before publishing my first ebook. Now, I have two ebooks and one course, and they all fetch me decent income monthly.
following
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Paying For Any Online Ideas by Superman11(m): 7:27pm On Jun 19, 2015
caoalvin:

cool down who you want make them pay u.. oya pay me for quoting your post.. oya ooooooooo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB Result Site Is DOWN Cannot Handle Concurrent Users Of 1.5m Candidates ? / Man Jailed 6 Months For Refusing To Give Police His Iphone Passcode / FG Finally Launches Online Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.