Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,759 members, 7,798,538 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? (1056 Views)

Igbos In Diaspora Build Mud Houses With Whites To Exhibit Culture / 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression / Edos In The Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Jayvarley(m): 10:53pm On Jun 18, 2015
Would this help to wipe away some of the pain associated with the memory of slavery?

If you are not in favour, can you please state the reasons why you are against it.

If you are in favour, how then would a an African American/Caribbean go about finding the right name considering that most know so little about their ancestry, lineage and African naming customs.

1 Like

Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Fulaman198(m): 10:56pm On Jun 18, 2015
That's up to African Americans and Afro-Caribbeans. We have no say on what you guys do.

1 Like

Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by CountDracula(m): 10:59pm On Jun 18, 2015
Names mean nthng dis generation, and dt wud b a waste of tym
Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Nobody: 5:19am On Jun 19, 2015
I think their names are ok as they are. The diaspora cannot be assumed to have no identity separate from Africa. They have also mixed with other races, hence their being a unique identity and they have a right to establish their own naming system, which I must say is so successful that some of their names are being picked up by Africans most of who, by the way, have not dropped the English first names imposed upon colonialism.

I know people with African American first names like bre, ashlyn, Ashley, I think they are even helping us discard our colonial master first names like John, Peter etc
Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Glamrock(f): 6:37am On Jun 19, 2015
I like the thought, but it's more so the last names that link us to slavery. most African Americans still carry the last names of the slave masters who owned our families, you will rarely find an African American with an African last name.

1 Like

Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jun 19, 2015
If it makes you feel better about yourself, sure. But I don't think it is something you guys absolutely have to do. The 'European' experience in the New World also forms part of your history, heritage and even genetic make-up...so, what's odd if you have European names?

I see no discussion being had on whether the Briggses and the Horsfalls and the Hallidays and the Silvas etcetera of Nigeria should change their family names to more African ones. A few have, most haven't. Personal decisions. It should be the same for New World Blacks.
Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Jayvarley(m): 5:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
The Main issue is the surnames and these surnames simply pass from generation to generation.

I am aware that some places in the New World many black people still retain African first names especially in places like Guyana and Suriname. In Guyana it is not unusual to hear Afro-Guyanese people with an Akan first name like Kwame.

Also there seems to be a general perception that every person from the New World is heavily admixed this simply is not the case.
Every country in the New World had a different colonial experience.

For instance in Barbados there was a law that prohibited mixing between blacks and whites during slavery, though it did happen at times it significantly minimised mixture in that population. This is why most Barbadian people like myself do not appear to have any admixture.

1 Like

Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Phut(f): 9:00pm On Jun 19, 2015
Jayvarley:

I am aware that some places in the New World many black people still retain African first names especially in places like Guyana and Suriname. In Guyana it is not unusual to hear Afro-Guyanese people with an Akan first name like Kwame

I have also come across a lot of women from Latin America called Ada (which means daughter in Igbo) and they know the meaning of their name
Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jun 19, 2015
Well if you can take a DNA test that points you to a certain part of Africa like lets say NIGERIA... then you can take an Nigerian name of any ethnic group you like e.g. yoruba, igbo, hausa etc

Jayvarley:
Would this help to wipe away some of the pain associated with the memory of slavery?

If you are not in favour, can you please state the reasons why you are against it.

If you are in favour, how then would a an African American/Caribbean go about finding the right name considering that most know so little about their ancestry, lineage and African naming customs.

1 Like

Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by tpiadotcom: 10:10pm On Jun 19, 2015
the names are not copyrighted.

1 Like

Re: Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? by Jayvarley(m): 12:51am On Jun 20, 2015
Phut:

I have also come across a lot of women from Latin America called Ada (which means daughter in Igbo) and they know the meaning of their name

An interesting revelation.

I know that the Jamaican Maroons practice the Akan day naming system.

It just shows how marooned communities are able to retain their African cultural ties

(1) (Reply)

Findings Human Dog Hybrids Are Real. / Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women / App Review: Oriki Olodumare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.