Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) (107915 Views)

The Head Of Goat That Caused Accident In Anambra Was Cut Off (Photos) / Lagos Slum Where Residents Live With Snakes, Crocodiles (photos) / Accident Involving A Jeep At China Town In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
they say its called EKE... its mixed color.. It's not uploading pls teach me how to... it's my first time of creating a thread
You are right, it is called Eke(python). They used to visit my grandfather when he was alive, we all just watch him relate to it and it will move away gently. It has never hurt anyone before.

3 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by wheesin(m): 8:04am On Jun 19, 2015
here are the pictures ?

Where are the pictures ? Or are you positioning the snake to pose and take paparazzi photos angry

2 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Lilimax(f): 8:50am On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
HELLO GUYS, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME OF CREATING A THREAD ON NAIRALAND..PARDON ME IF THERE ARE MISTAKES... I TRAVELED TO ANAMBRA STATE TWO WEEKS AGO TO SPEND MY SHORT HOLIDAY WITH MY GRANDMOTHER,@ AGU- UKWU,.. ITS TRULY A BEAUTIFUL STATE, IT'S A STATE WERE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY, REP, SENATE AND EVEN LOCAL GOVT MEMBERS ARE ALL UP AND DOING... I CAN BODLY SAY THAT ALL ROADS IN OUR SENATORIAL DISTRICT WHICH IS REPRESENTED BY HONOURABLE UCHE EKUNIFE ARE TARED...REASON WHY SHE'S BEEN SENT TO THE SENATE COS ALL SIGN BOARD OF ROADS DONE HERE WERE ATTRACTED BY HER..........ON MYOU SECOND DAY OF VISIT, WE CAME BACK FROM CHURCH AROUND 9.. I WENT TO THE KITCHEN TO PREPARE FOOD.. THEN I SAW A SNAKE THAT WAS TRAPPED BTW IRON NETS OF THE KITCHEN WINDOW WHILE IT WAS TRYING TO CRAWL IN THRU THE WINDOW...I RAN. OUT SCREAMING FOR HELP , I WAS LATER TOLD THAT THE SNAKE DOESN'T BITE, THAT IT COMES INTO ANY HOME, THE PEOPLE DOESN'T KILL IT, RATHER I WAS WORSHIPPED IN THE OLDEN DAYS SO THEY ARE USED TO HAVING IT AS A GUEST.. FROM THAT DAY ON,I PACKED MY BAG AND LEFT FOR AWKA TO STAY WITH MY UNCLE .. IT TOOK 5 DAYS BEFORE I RETURNED HOME COS I FEAR SNAKES AND ALMOST EVERY THING THAT CRAWLS INCLUDING COCKROACHES...HERE ARE PICTURES OF IT AS WAS SHARED TO ME FROM MY COUSINS
I'm sure you mean Agu-Ukwu NRI.
It is my village as well. We have a lot of pythons in Nri; very harmless. It usually visit the indigene of the town coming home for the first. Pythons are not killed in Nri but if you mistakenly kills it, it must be buried like a human being in a coffin using white cloth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Armaggedon: 9:09am On Jun 19, 2015
@op, is it snake or python?
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 19, 2015
Lilimax:
I'm sure you mean Agu-Ukwu NRI.
It is my village as well. We have a lot of pythons in Nri; very harmless. It usually visit the indigene of the town coming home for the first. Pythons are not killed in Nri but if you mistakenly kills it, it must be buried like a human being in a coffin using white cloth.
yes u are right.. it's nri... my stay was warm and pleasant... u guys got money considering the great mauntions erected here.big big houses in a village much more like lagos...Ekunife is really a good woman too...

7 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 19, 2015
Imanuelle:
remember007

Typing in all caps is wrong and can get you fired from your job.
Learn.
am sorry

3 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 19, 2015
preizton:
Click on modify, u will the place to upload below the box, or better still u can come over to my place 4 full tutorial.
ur place nah classroom?

6 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
am sorry

It's alright.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by chigoizie7(m): 9:24am On Jun 19, 2015
NeduLuiZ:
Religion the greatest scam
God knows I would smash the head of that ugly serpent angry

Not when it does not bite, in my place, u can step on it and it will do absolutely nothing. But try it elsewhere, u re finished.

I don't like the sight though, but tradition has it dat dey should not be killed, and as such, they don't bite, they do u no harm.

1 Like

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by preizton(m): 9:42am On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
ur place nah classroom?
Am a private tutor wink
remember007:
ur place nah classroom?
Am a private tutor
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by jnrbayano(m): 9:42am On Jun 19, 2015
softysparky:

You are right, it is called Eke(python). They used to visit my grandfather when he was alive, we all just watch him relate to it and it will move away gently. It has never hurt anyone before.

Superstition

2 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 19, 2015
preizton:
Am a private tutor winkAm a private tutor
could u help me post the pictures if I should send them to u via BBM?
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by mexzony: 9:48am On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
they say its called EKE... its mixed color.. It's not uploading pls teach me how to... it's my first time of creating a thread
You are very right. I am from anambra state too and when I travelled in January I saw the snake crossing the road in my village and people were just passing by.it does no harm at all. Very close to my village there is a snake shrine where it is worshipped.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by preizton(m): 9:49am On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
could u help me post the pictures if I should send them to u via BBM?
I don't use BBM, am allergic to it. You send it to my mail,just PM me.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 19, 2015
jnrbayano:

Superstition
No it's not a superstition. It does no harm to anyone. Believe me jnrbayano I saw with my eyes.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 19, 2015
mrking3:
@OP! Even if you dont post pictures some of us wouldnt doubt you! Coz i know a place in IMO state where this culture is being practiced. If you eventual kill these snakes you'll have to give it a befitting burial just like normal Human being. So what you posted isnt weird. Just incase, it didnt work out, munch the pic then upload it one after the other via your native browser. Next time before you put up some sensitive topics try and be sure you have the photos in handdy! Nairaland is a place where if they dont see images whether Graphic or mild, they would say "Idontbelieveit" but the same hypocrites will still be the one to rebuke you when you take pictures of accident scene. They would say rather than take the victim to hospital or quench a Burning. Petrol tanker, you're busy taking pictures. If one dont take pictures, how would people get to hear the news or believe the story? Thats nairaland for you!! Happy posting!
I have the pictures right on my phone, can I send them to you via BBM cos it's not entering
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 10:09am On Jun 19, 2015
9niceguy:
Where's the pishure?
I ve added them
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 19, 2015
jnrbayano:

Superstition
okay now go check cos I succeeded in uploading them
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by jnrbayano(m): 10:14am On Jun 19, 2015
softysparky:

No it's not a superstition. It does no harm to anyone. Believe me jnrbayano I saw with my eyes.

I saw it too but attributing its visits and un-aggressive nature to the supernatural is what is superstition.

Pythons inhabit places that are cool and where its prey is abundant. They only visit to stalk house rats and farm rodents.

Pythons are non-venomous and humans are not part of its diet.

That type of Python is the smaller specie and not the bigger constrictor. (ordinary Eke and not Eke Ogba)

4 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by haywire07(m): 10:17am On Jun 19, 2015
rosy4u:
I've never seen a snake b4 buh jux hearing of it gives me goose bumps embarassed embarassed
How old are u?

2 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by rosy4u(f): 10:25am On Jun 19, 2015
haywire07:
How old are u?
wat has age gat to do wid dis.. undecided
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by chival(f): 10:40am On Jun 19, 2015
I am from idemili LG which comprises towns where the python is the recognized totem. I do not condone the practise or support it but I'd like to correct some misconceptions.

1. Not all snakes are revered in Idemili. Only the python (eke) is.
2. The python is the people's totem and not a god. It is not worshipped but revered and believed to be a protector/guardian.
3. The snakes come and go freely like the OP observed, even in my own village/family home, and I believe this largely because pythons are non venomous snakes and secondly, they have come to exist peacefully over so many years with people of the area so neither the python nor the people regard each other as a threat.

14 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 19, 2015
definitely, i cant stay in tha place
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by donmoris(f): 11:04am On Jun 19, 2015
I hAte snake so much

1 Like

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 19, 2015
chival:
I am from idemili LG which comprises towns where the python is the recognized totem. I do not condone the practise or support it but I'd like to correct some misconceptions.

1. Not all snakes are revered in Idemili. Only the python (eke) is.
2. The python is the people's totem and not a god. It is not worshipped but revered and believed to be a protector/guardian.
3. The snakes come and go freely like the OP observed, even in my own village/family home, and I believe this largely because pythons are non venomous snakes and secondly, they have come to exist peacefully over so many years with people of the area so neither the python nor the people regard each other as a threat.
not venomous but dont they swallow?
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Holyfield1(m): 11:05am On Jun 19, 2015
rosy4u:
I've never seen a snake b4 buh jux hearing of it gives me goose bumps embarassed embarassed
I respect your lies madam...Goose bumps ko chicken bumps ni
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by sammyj: 11:05am On Jun 19, 2015
Madam are you a snake person ? shocked
VickyRotex:
Hmmmm. smiley

And the snake is romantic? undecided smiley
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
HELLO GUYS, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME OF CREATING A THREAD ON NAIRALAND..PARDON ME IF THERE ARE MISTAKES... I TRAVELED TO ANAMBRA STATE TWO WEEKS AGO TO SPEND MY SHORT HOLIDAY WITH MY GRANDMOTHER,@ AGU- UKWU,.. ITS TRULY A BEAUTIFUL STATE, IT'S A STATE WERE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY, REP, SENATE AND EVEN LOCAL GOVT MEMBERS ARE ALL UP AND DOING... I CAN BODLY SAY THAT ALL ROADS IN OUR SENATORIAL DISTRICT WHICH IS REPRESENTED BY HONOURABLE UCHE EKUNIFE ARE TARED...REASON WHY SHE'S BEEN SENT TO THE SENATE COS ALL SIGN BOARD OF ROADS DONE HERE WERE ATTRACTED BY HER..........
why the campaign naangry

[I]ON MYOU SECOND DAY OF VISIT, WE CAME BACK FROM CHURCH AROUND 9.. I WENT TO THE KITCHEN TO PREPARE FOOD.. THEN I SAW A SNAKE THAT WAS TRAPPED BTW IRON NETS OF THE KITCHEN WINDOW WHILE IT WAS TRYING TO CRAWL IN THRU THE WINDOW...I RAN. OUT SCREAMING FOR HELP , I WAS LATER TOLD THAT THE SNAKE DOESN'T BITE, THAT IT COMES INTO ANY HOME, THE PEOPLE DOESN'T KILL IT, RATHER I WAS WORSHIPPED IN THE OLDEN DAYS SO THEY ARE USED TO HAVING IT AS A GUEST.. FROM THAT DAY ON,I PACKED MY BAG AND LEFT FOR AWKA TO STAY WITH MY UNCLE .. IT TOOK 5 DAYS BEFORE I RETURNED HOME COS I FEAR SNAKES AND ALMOST EVERY THING THAT CRAWLS INCLUDING COCKROACHES...HERE ARE PICTURES OF IT AS WAS SHARED TO ME FROM MY COUSINS[/i]

@embloded that line got me crackinggrin
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by ylaa(f): 11:09am On Jun 19, 2015
tufia
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by unclejb2(m): 11:09am On Jun 19, 2015
NeduLuiZ:
Religion the greatest scam
God knows I would smash the head of that ugly serpent angry
but u will pay dstv subscription to watch national geography wild and animal planet where enlightened people don't smash pythons heads when they see one.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by kinibigdeal(m): 11:09am On Jun 19, 2015
Yeah you re right, ve'got a friend from that region that told me same story. She said they worship those snakes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

This Is The Oyedepo Hangar They Plan To Demolish / Best Country To Relocate With My Family Apart From Canada / Why Most Nigerians Go To Malaysia Instead Of Europe And America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.