Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,213 members, 7,807,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47577 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 11:56pm On Feb 25, 2009
i would also like to add that quite unlike ijaws we still bear oru till this day.we are actually the only oru remaining and we speak igbo,we say 'oru n'igbo bu nwanne' which means we and igbos are brothers and not ijaw or yoruba.the only difference is that we have riverine terrain quite unlike the rest of igbos.so ijaws believe they are oru offshoot.that might be true but there is no such story here.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 12:01am On Feb 26, 2009
Abagworo:

i would also like to add that quite unlike ijaws we still bear oru till this day.we are actually the only oru remaining and we speak igbo,we say 'oru n'igbo bu nwanne' which means we and igbos are brothers and not ijaw or yoruba.the only difference is that we have riverine terrain quite unlike the rest of igbos.so ijaws believe they are oru offshoot.that might be true but there is no such story here.

Which part of Igbo are you from?

You may be original Oru, but you may have adopted Igbo customs and language like many Oru's have.

Igbos are also made up of Oru's mixed with Bantus and Ugbos

However, we remain the most undiluted Oru's in Nigeria today. Some parts of Eastern Ijaw have no dilution in them at all. Our language remains the original Oru language, which is peppered with 'iri' in many of the words we speak.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 12:04am On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime what language is been spoken in Opobo?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 12:07am On Feb 26, 2009
Opobo speak Ibani, a dialect of Ijaw.

Ibani just means Bonny (anglicised). There is no difference between Opobo's and Bonny people. Jaja just moved Ana Pepple house from Bonny Island to Opobo and made a new tribe. This was only 140 years ago so there is no divergence between Opobo people and Bonny people in language or culture.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:11am On Feb 26, 2009
Oru in Imo state.we never miss saying we are not igbo but oru.also that igbo is our true brother.as for languge adoption,i doubt if igbo could have influenced our original language because igbos are good language borrowers.i rather believe igbos adopted our original language.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:15am On Feb 26, 2009
@ibime how related are the ibani with the original ubani in abia state?i'm asking because their language sounds thesame to me and i understand it.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:16am On Feb 26, 2009
shocked
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 12:19am On Feb 26, 2009
Lmaooooo  cheesy
you can understand it? pls Ibani is far different from Ubani or abia dialect, whatever you call it.
haha if I write in Ibani for you, can you interpret?
Igbani is Ijaw 95%
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 12:21am On Feb 26, 2009
Insert Quote
Oru in Imo state.we never miss saying we are not igbo but oru.also that igbo is our true brother.as for languge adoption,i doubt if igbo could have influenced our original language because igbos are good language borrowers.i rather believe igbos adopted our original language

@abagworo

Who are the igbos?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 12:22am On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

Opobo speak Ibani, a dialect of Ijaw.

Ibani just means Bonny (anglicised). There is no difference between Opobo's and Bonny people. Jaja just moved Ana Pepple house from Bonny Island to Opobo and made a new tribe. This was only 140 years ago so there is no divergence between Opobo people and Bonny people in language or culture.

many of them speak Igbo too.
and say ike m for myself
when ike means buttocks in Igbo
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 12:22am On Feb 26, 2009
Why dont u Ijaw gal write n Ibani for him to see if he can interpret.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 12:23am On Feb 26, 2009
wasn't jaja of Opobo an Igboman from Imo state area?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 12:24am On Feb 26, 2009
Opobo ppl also speak Igbo. ofcourse different dialect.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:26am On Feb 26, 2009
Ubani mara nma!!!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 12:27am On Feb 26, 2009
I asked what they speak in Opobo because i just finished watching a documentary on the people of Opobo and quite frankly what they where speaken sounds very much like the dialect been spoken in the present day nkwerre,isu,njaba axis.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:28am On Feb 26, 2009
Ubani mara nma!!! Is a popular greeting in opobo.i dont know whether that is ibani.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 12:30am On Feb 26, 2009
Mi ye ma ibim ina!!  thats how igbanis greet, interpret that

Eastern Ijaws--igbani(opobo and bonny) people, Okrika, kalabaris can speak igbo, because of the presence of igbo slaves during the slave era
the native people.majority of the people speak Ijaw
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 12:30am On Feb 26, 2009
Yes Jaja is an Igbo man and he is not the only Igbo to migrate to Opobo. Opobo got its strong Igbo roots. Only a bigot will try to deny it. Opobo and Bonny ppl are like a hybrid of both Igbo and Ijaw ppl.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 12:31am On Feb 26, 2009
Ubani mara nma!!!

Is this not igbo.I think it is hightime we acknowledge that igbo is a language continum with varying dialects across former eastern nigeria.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:39am On Feb 26, 2009
This thread is aimed at re-inventing our lost ties and not trying to force ethnicity on anyone.igbos and ijaws mingled a lot in the past.it should be noted that aba was founded by opobo people.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 12:41am On Feb 26, 2009
Mi ye ma ibim ina!! oo

Eastern Ijaws--igbani(opobo and bonny) people, Okrika, kalabaris can speak igbo, [b]because of the presence of igbo slaves during the slave era[/b]the native people.majority of the people speak Ijaw

give me a break
Is that what they teach you guys?
How come they don't speak Efik and Ibibio,were all the slaves in Ubani (Bonny) Igbo?
How come Americans don't speak Igbo,Yoruba and Ijaw if slaves had that much influence on a language of a people such that 300 years later,Igbo is still the dominant native language there.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 12:42am On Feb 26, 2009
http://ibaniawo.org/
bonny and opobo are the Eastern Ijaw natives of Opobo and Bonny, We are actually original Ijaw people who have been mixed with igbo people, The only similarities we have with igbo people is some of us can speak the language because of the presence of igbo people in the 1800's(slave era)

@Osisi
were all the slaves in Ubani (Bonny) Igbo?

ninety nine percent of the slaves were igbos
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 12:43am On Feb 26, 2009
@Abagworo

That is why i asked you the question who are the igbos because you said the 'igbos' are good at copying and that they copied your oru language.You do not seem to realize that that statement does not create an atmosphere for reconciliation.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:46am On Feb 26, 2009
@ijawgirl.kalabari and okirika speak igbo like igbos speak yoruba or hausa.opobo and bonny however speak igbo as indigenous language but that does not mean that they dont speak a dialect of ijaw too.okirika has a whole lot of mbaise mixture but they obviously speak a dialect of ijaw.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 12:48am On Feb 26, 2009
Plaese  Okrika and Kalabari people(some) can speak igbo because of the presence of igbo slaves during the slave era

Ibime can give you some history lessons on that,
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 12:49am On Feb 26, 2009
Can someone give me a good reason why this thread should not be moved to the Culture Section? grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 12:52am On Feb 26, 2009
ijaw_girl:

Plaese Okrika and Kalabari speak igbo because of the presence of igbo slaves during the slave era

ask Ibime,

So, the slaves were so influential that they managed to make the freeborns speak their language? Why do despise Ndi-Igbo so much? You just had to type "Igbo slaves" to make you feel good, eh?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 12:53am On Feb 26, 2009
Please have you been to Bonny or Opobo before? In a meeting between elders, Ijaw is strictly spoken, all our songs/proverbs are in Ijaw, our greetings are in Ijaw
just because some people speak igbo does not mean its an indigenous language in our land
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 12:56am On Feb 26, 2009
huh hate igbo people? If I hate igbo people, why do I support Biafra? am just telling you guys the relationship between igbo and Igbani people
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 12:58am On Feb 26, 2009
ijaw_girl:

huh hate igbo people? If hate igbo people, why do I support Biafra? am just telling you guys the relationship between igbo and Igbani people

Just answer my question: How did slaves make non-slaves speak their (slave) language?

I just want to learn. Thanks.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 1:02am On Feb 26, 2009
this thread is meant to be on how we should all support Goodluck Jonathan,Orji Uzor Kalu,Peter Odili and Chibuike Amaechi for presidency in 2011 and not about our origins.we should form a formidable force and end the divide and rule amongst us being promoted by nigerian state.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:03am On Feb 26, 2009
How did slaves make non-slaves speak their (slave) language?

Lmao thats so easy, intermarriage and trade
apart from the language what else? What other similarities? do we have undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / Oyinbo Man Dances For Ooni Ogunwusi & His Crew - See Photos / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.