Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,782 members, 7,806,165 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. (43110 Views)

Interesting Facts About Ibadan / Things You Might Not Know About Ibadan City / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by DICKtator: 3:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
I do know they like amala and gbegiri

And one of their past governor was a model for a bleaching cream!!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by DollyParton1(f): 3:33pm On Jun 19, 2015
But really Ibadan people can abuse ehn. Chai!!
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by obayaya(m): 3:34pm On Jun 19, 2015
decode55:
I can remember going to ibadan last year for FECAMDS convention despite the Ebola outbreak brouhaha..

Best decision ever grin grin

From the well "stocked" UI zoo, to the vast town and landscape, to the heritage malls, cocoa house(first sky scraper in Nigeria), shopping malls, shoprites, cinemas and the cute females, cheesy
I must say: I really enjoyed myself smiley

Most Med Students I had convos with during the convention were igbos though shocked shocked (I wonder why)

Well, DELSU 2015; here I come wink

FECAMDS - Federation of Catholic Medical and Dental Students

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by kendrick9(m): 3:34pm On Jun 19, 2015
Ibadan, the home of brown roofs
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by femi4: 3:34pm On Jun 19, 2015
My problem with them is that they are talkative. They talk too much, hence they lie easily and can be deceptive
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by oc2fish: 3:35pm On Jun 19, 2015
I am from Delta but grew up in Ibadan. I love the city.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jun 19, 2015
priiince:
Heard its people are trickish and highly dubious especialy the men

Tricky you mean?
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by damiloladuke: 3:36pm On Jun 19, 2015
READ THE DIARY OF A JOBLESS NAIJA YOUTH HERE www.wenogetjob..com
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Samfigo1(m): 3:36pm On Jun 19, 2015
I can never deny where I come from.... IBADAN my fatherland! I'm proud to be born and bred in Ibadan.... Shout out to all Ibadanians!
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by ThisMeansWAR: 3:36pm On Jun 19, 2015
elopee3000:
No my problem with ibadan is the brown roof and all the houses with out toilet
places with brown roofs are old settlement.. Almost all cities in Nigeria apart from lagos have 50%to 60% percent old settlement with Brown-roofs.. Stopping saying nonsense
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Adesiji77: 3:42pm On Jun 19, 2015
Jovago:

If you are not from Ibadan, but you live in Ibadan, here’s a scenario you might recognize. It’s Christmas. You’ve headed back to your home town (Lagos maybe) and you are chatting with your old friends about your new life. They share their opinion on Ibadan: the town is dead; the people are just backward and crude; How do you even survive there? a friend might even ask. Chances are, you will get defensive about Ibadan life as living there has given you a different view of it. Of course, there are things that could be better about the city but in case you need a quick retort for someone who just does not get it, Jovago.com, Africa’s No. 1 online hotel booking portal, has rounded up the 10 common misconceptions about the city and why they are not true (mostly).

Ibadan is a dead town. The term ‘dead’ might seem harsh, but a lot of people have used it in reference to the city of the famous old brown roofs. ‘Dead’ implies that the city is utterly boring and there are no exciting or even just fun activities to keep visitors and inhabitants occupied for leisure. The truth however is, while Ibadan might be an ancient town, there are a lot of things to do and ways to entertain yourself while visiting. Events, shows and tournaments are held on a regular basis. There are also various tourist attractions to visit such as: Ibadan Recreation Centre, Cultural Centre of Mokola, Liberty Stadium, Bower Memorial Tower, Palace of the Olubadan, Dugbe Market, etc. It is as much fun as other major cities, including Lagos and Abuja, you just need to research properly before visiting, and hook up with the right links while you are there.

There are no modern facilities in the city. Ibadan may be one of the oldest cities in Nigeria, but it no longer struggles to adapt to modernization. It has seen some recent developments – the older buildings have been renovated and modern facilities have been installed around the city, the city now has a profound combination of the modern and conservative. There are malls with escalators, ultra-modern shopping complexes, cinemas, high-end hotels and restaurants, etc.

There is no nightlife. “Ah! In Ibadan, they sleep by 6pm…”, “There are no clubs in Ibadan”…these are common replies you get from people when they are asked to comment on Ibadan nightlife. Although Ibadan is not like Lagos, Abuja or even Port Harcourt where there are large number of nightclubs and some of the streets are still abuzz by midnight, it has noticeable nightlife. The fun seekers know where the clubs are located. Some of the top clubs include 411, Cottons, GQ Lounge, Bubbles, Options, Echo, Dome, Top 1 Gardens, e.t.c and these places are well explored by “hip” population of the city.

The people who live in Ibadan are old and boring. Ibadan might be an old city, but not all of its inhabitants are old or boring. A number of young people from Ibadan migrate to bigger cities for education and in search for lucrative jobs, still, a large percentage of its population is made up of young vibrant individuals between the ages of 20-35. Matter of fact, a number of young people also migrate from not just smaller towns but also cities as big as Lagos to Ibadan for business and educational purposes. There are currently 3 tertiary institutions in the city with students from around the country.

The people who live in Ibadan are not trendy. A number of times you see pictures of people looking weird and it being attributed to Ibadan with comments like: “Ibadan girls be like…” or “you can only see this in Ibadan”. Whereas some might consider it entertaining or even hilarious, it fosters a huge misconception. While it is impossible for everyone who lives in Ibadan, as in any town, to be trendy and up-to-date as regards fashion, tech and living in general, most of the inhabitants of the city are quite modish in their appearance and behavior.

[b]People who live in Ibadan are not tech-savvy.[/b]This is certainly not true. People in Ibadan know how to use phones, they use high-tech gadgets and the businesses have blogs and websites, just like in Lagos or any other “big city” in Nigeria. You can get information about Ibadan online from blogs such as whatsupibadan.com, redroofcity.com, ibpulse.com e.t.c.

Every person with a tribal mark is from Ibadan. Aside from aesthetics, tribal marks are a huge part of different cultures across Nigeria and so, serve as a means to indicate where a person is from. In more recent times, the tribal mark trend has waned and so very few people still have them. For some reason however, people now refer to anyone with a ‘Yoruba-like’ tribal mark as ‘from Ibadan’. This is a wide misconception that has swept through the west. There are some who still give and wear the tribal mark Ibadan, however, it is important to note that feature is not restricted to Ibadan.

Ibadan people are backwards and crude. [/b]There is a post online showing a picture of some people in Ibadan trying to get on an escalator. The picture was intended to give off the impression that people from Ibadan are backwards and crude, so they do not understand how things in the modern life works. While the picture revealed an actual incident, it merely fed an erroneous misconception. There will always be the group of people in a city who still need to catch up on certain things, Ibadan is just one of the many cities with such groups of people.

[b]Anyone with a strong Yoruba accent is from Ibadan.
The Yoruba accent simply implies the ‘h’ and ‘v/f’ factor. It is widely believed that people from Ibadan are the only ones who have strong Yoruba accents and are never rid of them. While this conception is justifiable since Yoruba is the native language in Ibadan, there is no actual proof for the notion.

Every part of Oyo state is Ibadan. Most people tend to associate everything related to Oyo state with Ibadan. For instance if someone says they are from Oyo state, the person is immediately referred to as an Ibadan person. Ibadan may be the capital of the state, but is actually just a section of the much larger state.

Do you know any other misconceptions about Ibadan? Share them in the comment section below.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Macelliot(m): 3:42pm On Jun 19, 2015
searching4lovee:
IGBOS ARE GUILTY OF THIS
Can you survice a day without mentioning 'Igbo'?

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Mbediogu(m): 3:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
priiince:
Heard its people are tricky and highly dubious especialy the men, also diabolic in nature with too many ritual crimes

And they are quicj to say that Ibadan stands for IJAW BOYS ARE DANGEROUS AT NIGHT.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
Ibadan used to be more popular than Lagos.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Dayg88(m): 3:44pm On Jun 19, 2015
I'm proud to be associated with IB city. I'm a native of ibadan, born and bred there. Trust me, ibadan is one of the best places to live in Nigeria.
#myopininthough

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by lanrock(m): 3:44pm On Jun 19, 2015
proudly ibadan.
ibad
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by priiince(m): 3:44pm On Jun 19, 2015
Mbediogu:

And they are quick to say that Ibadan stands for IJAW BOYS ARE DANGEROUS AT NIGHT.
grin
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Macelliot(m): 3:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
ThisMeansWAR:
places with brown roofs are old settlement.. Almost all cities in Nigeria apart from lagos have 50%to 60% percent old settlement with Brown-roofs.. Stopping saying nonsense
I disagree...
Here in Obosi, Anambra state..
It's difficult to spot a bungalow, let to say zinc house or rusty roof...

Buildings here are clustered and is 4, 5, 6 story building and above...
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by lanrock(m): 3:46pm On Jun 19, 2015
proudly ibadan. if u are not frm ibadan, dat means u are wrong.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Walelavender(m): 3:46pm On Jun 19, 2015
Very informative
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by juman(m): 3:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
Titugirl:

Thats a BIG LIE!

Okay. grin
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Macelliot(m): 3:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
Dayg88:
I'm proud to be associated with IB city. I'm a native of ibadan, born and bred there. Trust me, ibadan is one of the best places to live in Nigeria.
#myopininthough
Because, you were born and breeded there...
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Lionhearted: 3:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
Ibadan is a cool place to live.

Cost of living is relatively cheap: transport, food and clothing very cheap.

The cons: Don't walk alone in the night in unfamiliar places either crowded or not.
Never argue with a Ibadan person, he will win.
Loves taking what isn't theirs.
And dont cheat dem ladies else you are a prime candidate for 'Jazz'.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Omotayor123(f): 3:50pm On Jun 19, 2015
lol... true.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by excod: 3:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
Ibadan. The largest city in west AFRICA
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by moscobabs(m): 3:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
bro 411 don't club at night o
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by excod: 3:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
Ibadan. The largest city in west AFRICA. My city
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by ephi123(f): 3:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
priiince:
Heard its people are tricky and highly dubious especialy the men, also diabolic in nature with too many ritual crimes

Emphasis on the word "HEARD" -- dangers of hearsay...
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Vodkka(m): 3:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
CR77:
Am allergic to long stories

Me too grin
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by martineverest(m): 4:00pm On Jun 19, 2015
Quite true....i served in ibadan northwest.i had some of these misconception b4 serving in ibadan.ibadan is more mordernised and developed(most xpecially ibadan
north,southwest,northwest and oluyole) than all of niger-deltan and s/east cities,xceptportharcourt.but the brown roof parts(like ibadan southeast) are as dead as what u can think of...

Their women are beautiful and volumptious.ibadan ppl are very fetish and archaic.things are cheap in the city and the cost of housing is cheaper than lagos and any city in niger-delta.their oldmen/women speak better english than d young ones

ibadan is a modernised city with semi-civilised and archaic ppl.

.................from my xperience during my service year

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Sanusi0103(m): 4:02pm On Jun 19, 2015
well, this is encouraging

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"I Am The Igwe And Obi Of Yorubaland" - Abdulrasheed Akanbi, The Oluwo Of Iwo / Tear Gas Fired At Ooni Of Ife During Sowore's Visit (PHOTOS) / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.