Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68627 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by oathman(m): 1:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
i'm a medical scientist nd i ll come back
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
Space Booked! cool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
laykorn:

Do you remember the names of the two men that modelled the gene formation? They received a Nobel Prize Award.
Linus Pauling, James E. Rothman, Randy W. Schekman or Thomas C. Südhof?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 1:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
wow just saw this now, this is what we have been clamoring for here in nairaland..

alright am signing in now smiley

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
. . . the very backbone of mathematics . . . which one again?

If logic is the backbone of mathematics, How then can mathematics be a natural science?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by BigBen10: 1:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
a brane. It is a formulation of string theory. It has to exist for string theory to work. And if it does, it will be the biggest thing. It is basically a three dimensional surface on which our universe is. It is proposed that gravitons can escape from brane to brane. Hence the reason why gravity is the weakest force.

If branes exist, it means there are other universes out there! Multiple worlds.

Unfortunately, it also proofs that heaven and hell may exist. . . . if you are agnostic, that is.

does it also mean multiple versions of ourselves or multiple earths in different universe?

well for me. I don't like the logic of the theory. the proposer of theory is creating his own world in orser for his theory to stand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
big thank you to all the ladies on this thread . . . you surprise me. shocked
Harmvirus, elantraceey . . . I see you oh. cool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
it is. Nicolas could only prove that with mathematics. Without math, all science is just philosophy. It is maths that gives the final proof of any knowledge evolved.
Connect mathematics and Orthopaedic
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by stancorleone(m): 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2015
menesheh:
You are in the wrong place.

Science is never for us, it is for Whiteman.

Whenever a Nigerian see a technology he/she feels is so awesome and complex, he will be like
[size=15pt]waw oyibo too much, oyibo na our second God[/size].

We don't know that to discover things is more easier than we thought it is.

A thread for science is statistically insignificant due lack of patronage and interest.

Your idea are supported despite am not a science student. But i love science pretty crazy

Hung up
you are so so wrong, wise up!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by menesheh(m): 1:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
?

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by RobinHez(m): 1:34pm On Jun 21, 2015
I have a feeling this thread will be dominated by Giants! leaving the Amateurs to wallow in amazement!

#observing
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 21, 2015
BigBen10:

does it also mean multiple versions of ourselves or multiple earths in different universe?

well for me. I don't like the logic of the theory. the proposer of theory is creating his own world in orser for his theory to stand.
hahaha, well, its not like that . . .
Imagine you wanted to prove that all that go up must come down, you must acknowledge a force that makes this happen. However, we know that from Descartes first mechanical principle, nid action at a distance! So, a particle must exist for this force. They have no choice. Which is why highs boson was used in physics calculations before it was even discovered.

In science, we mus assume some things, or our models won't make sense.

You should know that they haven't discovered gravitons yet. But they know it exists. Why? So that the law of gravity will work- wink

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by menesheh(m): 1:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
stancorleone:
you are so so wrong, wise up!

What are u still waiting to provide your reasons mr wise.

Ugh
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Connect mathematics and Orthopaedic
shocked come on . . .
Stress and strain, Young's modulus, kinetics, vectors . . . simultaneous equations . . . by the way, orthopedics is an application of the bigger field, biology and as such, it is not a pure science like mathematics. Hence, your logic . . . is cracked. grin wink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jun 21, 2015
menesheh:

What are u still waiting to provide your reasons mr wise.

Ugh
menesheh:

Menn fvck you!! Am freaking smart in what i know and no one will ever boost of knowing everything. Even those ones you are pretty competent with will mess you up if you don't update to new developments in the field.
Asking such a question didn't make me 10 yrs below anything. It is more of enhancing reason and exploring other field of learning. Ever near my field of study, i will blow your asss off if we are not of the same field.
How dare you think the guy teaching me is more smarter than am.
Fvck off fool
bros, please, I beg you . . . maintain peace with all men grin

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Gorimakpa1: 1:40pm On Jun 21, 2015
can one build or create a zero gravity condition which is also called weightlessness/ anti-gravity that causes objects to float or levitate in a room or any environment on earth. a lifetime project i intend to embark on
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by menesheh(m): 1:40pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
bros, please, I beg you . . . maintain peace with all men grin

The guy is messing me because of one previous argument i had with him in the religious section which he wasn't able to defend his claims.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
shocked come on . . .
Stress and strain, Young's modulus, kinetics, vectors . . . simultaneous equations . . . by the way, orthopedics is an application of the bigger field, biology and as such, it is not a pure science like mathematics. Hence, your logic . . . is cracked. grin wink
Cracked? I don't think you dig what I am insinuating..
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by BigBen10: 1:41pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
hahaha, well, its not like that . . .
Imagine you wanted to prove that all that go up must come down, you must acknowledge a force that makes this happen. However, we know that from Descartes first mechanical principle, nid action at a distance! So, a particle must exist for this force. They have no choice. Which is why highs boson was used in physics calculations before it was even discovered.

In science, we mus assume some things, or our models won't make sense.

You should know that they haven't discovered gravitons yet. But they know it exists. Why? So that the law of gravity will work- wink

ok I agree with making assumptionsbut you didn't reply the first part of my previous post.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
Hmmm nice concept op.
¤¤¤Following¤¤¤
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Cracked? I don't think you dig what I am insinuating..
logic is the backbone of mathematics. However, mathematics is the back bone of natural sciences. Most hypothesis take place in formulae form. So, what are you insinuating?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by toluine56(m): 1:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Hi there!
I'm actually a teetotaler, so . . . if you have LA casera. cheesy
I still don't understand why it was banned though. It has been here for decades and it had not killed anybody. Now it kills a few and the government quickly bans it without extensive research? That sounds wrong. And, typical of naija. cheesy
Now, let's get to your question. wink

Natural selection.

This once highly controversial conjecture basically means that in life, two things happen constantly.
1. Things change.
2. The fittest survives.

In every generation, there is a slight change in the genetic make up of organisms. For instance, some people are tall, others are short, it is a mixture of their parent's genes. Some people see more red than others, some are exceptionally brilliant, like everyone on this thread grin
Now, having all these different characteristics, nature seeks to blend it. In fact, nature wants every member of each species to look and act exactly the same. wink. Which is why, for a specific location, after having all these impressive traits, NATURAL SELECTION begins. The variations most suited to that environment survive. While the ones that don't die out. For instance, if that terrain requires constant running and/or athletics, the muscular ones will become prevalent. Simply because the lean ones have died out because they did not meet up to the standards.

This explains races . . . species . . . and a lot of impressive stuff. Individual members of species keep changing. And nature "tests" those changes to see which will stand the test of time. in the process, new species emerge. shocked shocked
But one may ask, why? How? Why do these organisms change? What is going on here? Well, that brings us to your second concept.

genetic mutation

Imagine you are typing fast on your computer. And you make mistakes. Usually, you can just erase them. But what if you couldn't? shocked what if your computer doesn't have a backspace button and any mistake you make is permanent? shocked let me guess, that would suck, right?
Unfortunately, or not . . . that is what nature has to work with. During meiosis, DNA doesn't always get typed exactly as it should be. It makes mistakes . . . oversights . . . Typos!
So this means everyone has numerous mistakes in their genetic make up. Which . . . they cannot erase. These mistakes are called genetic mutation and are the basis for natural selection because nature has to find a way to deal with these mistakes, so, it kind of thinks, which of these mistakes can we pass off as a new style?
And that . . . is the best layman explanation I can offer. It is an oversimplification, but. I hope you got it.

Feel free to ask any questions. If I can't answer them, there will be other experts. wink

Cheers!

Guy you're there.
If only my lecturers bck then @ school could simplify stuffs like this.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Mbkite(m): 1:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nice thread.
I hv a little doubt on Newton's 1st of motion which states that "a body wil continue in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless it's being acted upon by a FORCE"
D Problem I have with dis Law is that d magnitude of d force in question is not considered. For example, if a little child of 4yrs uses all his power to hit a big Iroko tree would dere be any change in position. I therefore propose that "a force of equal or higher magnitude be added to that Law" #MyPersonalOpinion.

2 Likes

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 21, 2015
BigBen10:

Ah, yes. We don't know. But, Stephen hawking thinks it is multiple versions of ourselves. sad
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by XploraBen(m): 1:48pm On Jun 21, 2015
***zooms into thread with my silver-colored BMW GT***

Back to topic.Actually science in Africa as a whole is more theoretically based--albeit latterly.The interest in science has waned over time among we Black people.We only want to get actively involved in the practical aspect--technology.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 21, 2015
toluine56:

Guy you're there.
If only my lecturers bck then @ school could simplify stuffs like this.
yes, but, if they did, everyone would pass. cheesy and if everyone passed . . . .hmm!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
logic is the backbone of mathematics. However, mathematics is the back bone of natural sciences. Most hypothesis take place in formulae form. So, what are you insinuating?
Mate, How can mathematics be the backbone of natural science when natural science predates mathematics?? Help me out here.... BEFORE applied mathematics was scribbled by Archimedes, natural science has been a popular discipline... so Mate...... Loopholes everywhere.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 21, 2015
Mbkite:
Nice thread.
I hv a little doubt on Newton's 1st of motion which states that "a body wil continue in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless it's being acted upon by a FORCE"
D Problem I have with dis Law is that d magnitude of d force in question is not considered. For example, if a little child of 4yrs uses all his power to hit a big Iroko tree would dere be any change in position. I therefore propose that "a force of equal or higher magnitude be added to that Law" #MyPersonalOpinion.
Don't mind those people!
Here is the full statement of the law.

A body shall remain at rest or move in a straight line unless UNBALANCED forces act on it. cool

5 Likes

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by BigBen10: 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Ah, yes. We don't know. But, Stephen hawking thinks it is multiple versions of ourselves. sad

okay final question. what is your area of expertise? are you a lecturer? or how are you connected to science?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Gorimakpa1: 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
nice thread....very good excuse to deviate from politiks and photocelebs threads...guys can you remember Escape Velocity
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by ITbomb(m): 1:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Exactly.
There is actually one thing that puzzle me, I don't know if you can give me a headway.
Why do we have different blood group?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Gorimakpa1: 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
Don't mind those people!
Here is the full statement of the law.

A body shall remain at rest or move in a straight line unless UNBALANCED forces act on it. cool
every substance in the universe are in a constant state of motion and vibration (which varies).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

A 50,000-Year-Old Lake In India Turns Pink And Experts Don't Know Exactly Why / This Is What A Sheep Looks Like After Five Years Without Shearing (Graphic Photo / Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.