Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid (2731 Views)

Awesome Transformation Pics Of A 2007 Toyota Camry / Need Advise On A Lexus Rx400h With Hybrid Tech / Pimping My 2007 Camry SE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by geesunda(m): 10:51am On Jun 20, 2015
I am looking at buying a 07 camry hybrid but not too sure how the technology has being accepted in Nigeria. Need advice on it
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by DECOtech(m): 11:10am On Jun 20, 2015
geesunda:
I am looking at buying a 07 camry hybrid but not too sure how the technology has being accepted in Nigeria. Need advice on it

The technology is well accepted in Nigeria, only that most times we have to rely on foreign markets foe genuine spares.

You can go ahead to by that car of your dream. As long as you maintain regularly and according to manufacturer specs, you and your car wld be fine.

Cheers.
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by nurey(m): 11:32am On Jun 20, 2015
hybrid is a good technology and needs special care. my observations are

1. that 2007 model of Camry has been known to have issues but the hybrid may not be involved.

2. hybrid technology only has body shell in common with the petrol the mechanical parts are totally different so note you are buying something that looks alike but on totally different tech

3. the hybrid cost more interms of maintenance both time and finance.

4. a guy I know uses that car always stays with the mech when they are working on it but he uses kazeem all the way, but that may not work for you.

will I buy an hybrid, yes why not if the car I like uses that technology, hybrid ain't bad but it needs extra care and a competent mech.

have in mind that if it dies on you in the middle of the road yahwa fit gas when kazeem opens boot and sees alien technology

good luck with your purchase
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by Fulaman198(m): 5:41pm On Jun 20, 2015
nurey:
hybrid is a good technology and needs special care. my observations are

1. that 2007 model of Camry has been known to have issues but the hybrid may not be involved.

2. hybrid technology only has body shell in common with the petrol the mechanical parts are totally different so note you are buying something that looks alike but on totally different tech

3. the hybrid cost more interms of maintenance both time and finance.

4. a guy I know uses that car always stays with the mech when they are working on it but he uses kazeem all the way, but that may not work for you.

will I buy an hybrid, yes why not if the car I like uses that technology, hybrid ain't bad but it needs extra care and a competent mech.

have in mind that if it dies on you in the middle of the road yahwa fit gas when kazeem opens boot and sees alien technology

good luck with your purchase

I don't agree that the 2007 Hybrid Camry had issues. I know someone who has/had one at 170k miles last time i checked and it was still running strong with minimal service.
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2015
Don't buy it.

Engine is not available toks

Battery not available unless you order for it. Cost over half a million.

Inverter not available unless you order for it, costs over half a million.

The cost of labour to fix any issue on any of the parts above costs over 100k

If any of these parts fail it will cost you a great deal to put it back in shape.
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by nurey(m): 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
Fulaman198:

I don't agree that the 2007 Hybrid Camry had issues. I know someone who has/had one at 170k miles last time i checked and it was still running strong with minimal service.

you don't need to agree, like I stated that am not sure if the hybrid of 07 year is also affected
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by Nobody: 8:14am On Jun 21, 2015
In view of the average Nigerian mechanic's aversion to learning anything new, I would NOT advice anyone to buy any Hybrid vehicle for use in Nigeria.

There are more than enough Hybrid vehicles in Nigeria that have been ruined by Nigerian mechanics, who have opted to "remove" the Hybrid components in an attempt to convert the car to a regular engine.

This is impossible - the Atkinson-cycle engines in Toyota Hybrid vehicles are nothing like the Otto-cycle engines found in non-Hybrid cars. The brakes, transmission, charging systems, aircon etc are all unique to the Hybrid set-up. Even bleeding the brakes has a set procedure, which is carried out with Toyota GTS / Techstream / IT2. Try bleeding in the conventional manner, and you'll end up with no brakes, a dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and an expensive AND long parts list that'll almost stop your heart.

Hybrids in Nigeria? Not recommended.

6 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by Fulaman198(m): 8:31pm On Jun 21, 2015
Siena:
In view of the average Nigerian mechanic's aversion to learning anything new, I would NOT advice anyone to buy any Hybrid vehicle for use in Nigeria.

There are more than enough Hybrid vehicles in Nigeria that have been ruined by Nigerian mechanics, who have opted to "remove" the Hybrid components in an attempt to convert the car to a regular engine.

This is impossible - the Atkinson-cycle engines in Toyota Hybrid vehicles are nothing like the Otto-cycle engines found in non-Hybrid cars. The brakes, transmission, charging systems, aircon etc are all unique to the Hybrid set-up. Even bleeding the brakes has a set procedure, which is carried out with Toyota GTS / Techstream / IT2. Try bleeding in the conventional manner, and you'll end up with no brakes, a dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and an expensive AND long parts list that'll almost stop your heart.

Hybrids in Nigeria? Not recommended.

Maybe you can come back and coach them on how to not ruin the components smiley
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by ikefor(m): 9:16am On Mar 26, 2016
Ok, i like this thread already, though a bit old!

I agree and disagree with some of the comments here.

There are a few pitfalls that you can avoid to have a good hybrid experience, this is basically based on my experience as a user, a repairer and interface with many other hybrid users in Nigeria (we have a whatsapp group>08037610395).

Hybrid vehicles have a fantastic technology, and easier to maintain but only if you have the right information. Hybrids are not for everybody!

A few tips based on simple knowledge of hybrid battery pack module count (common sense)
1.Camry hybrid is lovely, but note, it has 34 modules - more failure points
2 Avoid generation 1 Prius (01-03) hybrids in general, - those battery packs have done average of 13 years…38 modules - most failure points...(i see many ads on auctionexport with these G1's dirt cheap - run away!! )- you won't get the battery pack readily and require two g2 packs to retrofit it - costly.
3.Stick to G2/G3 Prius - 28 modules - less failure points..if you can, get a generation 3 (010-014), simple design, dashboard comes off like a lego in 5 minutes, engine is very compact and reachable. g3 has the ejector AC technology system (first of its kind).
4. Be willing to research
5. Invest in a scan tool
6. Get knowledgeable others
7. Don’t manage your A/C, use it always
8. Enjoy your car!

Mr. Jossy
2007 prius 1NZ-FXE
2010 prius 2ZR-FXE

hybrids dot com dot ng
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by Ricmayak1: 9:53am On Mar 26, 2016
www.nairaland.com/2999253/toyota-hybrid-synergy-drive-whatsapp#43915644
Join the whatsapp group for discussion with hybrid owners and experts. I have people who are very knowledgeable about the technology there. Regards.
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by Ricmayak1: 9:55am On Mar 26, 2016
nurey:

you don't need to agree, like I stated that am not sure if the hybrid of 07 year is also affected

You are right. The 2007 has more issues than the rest.
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by salvation77177: 2:26pm On Mar 26, 2016
I'm currently using Toyota highlander hybrid 2006 model bought in December, 2012. Though, I was not using it immediately it arrived because they was an issue with the hybrid battery.
I later ordered for another hybrid battery and later started using it. I must confess that am actually enjoying this vehicle with good fuel economy and air conditioning system that is electrically driven, unlike ordinary highlander that the air conditioning system is engine driven.
Overall performance of hybrid vehicles are excellent but a little higher when it comes to maintenance above normal non hybrid cars.
I have always maintained a single mechanic who services this car for me; I never allow too many hands on it.
The only expensive thing about hybrid cars are battery and inverter system. No replacement available in Nigeria for now but can be ordered online through eBay or directly from other auto parts stores mostly in the USA.
With an average of $700 you can get one minus shipping. Though nothing last forever anyway but these parts are made to run for a long time.
I never had any issue with my battery charging inverter since arrived in Nigeria.
The vehicle is good and combined with good maintenance and careful use, you have nothing to fear. Make you have only one mechanic that you trust and always buy genuine spare parts when the need arises. Except brakes and other normal replacement parts ,engine is strong and does give problems. Note:Not all mechanics can work on hybrid. Be careful when selecting a mechanic.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by Nobody: 4:25pm On Mar 26, 2016
Buy a hybrid at your own peril. There is a dead hybrid camry with my pastor.
Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by Ricmayak1: 7:02pm On Mar 26, 2016
tpacalipse:

Re: I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid by Ricmayak1: 7:03pm On Mar 26, 2016
tpacalipse:

Can we discuss on whatsapp?

(1) (Reply)

The 2013 BMW M3 Coupe / Information On Isuzu Rodeo 2001-2004 Model / Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.