Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? (6028 Views)

I Will Resign If Abuja Airport Is Not Reopened After 6 Weeks – Aviation Minister / New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States / 5 Things You Should Considered Before Coming To Study In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? by cabayes: 9:57am On Jul 04, 2015
If I was in your shoes, I would go to lagos business school for an mba. No need to resign from your current job. Your budget and ambition fits into lagos business school.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? by obiaguna(m): 9:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
ExLaidback:
Hello All,

Mature advice please.

Hey op, I just found this thread from last year. What was your final decision?
Re: Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? by joxiri: 11:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
@op
Whatever you do forget UK
U.K. Always seems attractive because the application process is straightforward
If you consider Uk as your only option just stay in Nigeria keep saving your money, buy land and develop a property, or go to Lagos business school
How you managed to save 4m is quite impressive
you seem like a resourceful person and u maybe be able to cope well in the us or Canada
The problem with the U.K. Is the duration of the course creeps up on you, you are concentrating on your course before you know it visa don expire, no time to actually find a job

Keep searching for scholarships and finally don't quit your job to go and do masters unless you don't intend to come back, or if your employer keeps your job for you
Re: Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? by mickey45: 3:25pm On May 22, 2016
ExLaidback:
Hello All,

Mature advice please.

S what did you later decide?
Re: Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? by ExLaidback: 9:49pm On May 22, 2016
obiaguna:

Hey op, I just found this thread from last year. What was your final decision?

joxiri:
@op
Whatever you do forget UK
U.K. Always seems attractive because the application process is straightforward
If you consider Uk as your only option just stay in Nigeria keep saving your money, buy land and develop a property, or go to Lagos business school
How you managed to save 4m is quite impressive
you seem like a resourceful person and u maybe be able to cope well in the us or Canada
The problem with the U.K. Is the duration of the course creeps up on you, you are concentrating on your course before you know it visa don expire, no time to actually find a job
Keep searching for scholarships and finally don't quit your job to go and do masters unless you don't intend to come back, or if your employer keeps your job for you

mickey45:

S what did you later decide?

Oh thanks guys and you @joxiri for your view.

This is almost a year after that post. At that time I'd applied for a scholarship (NDDC) and was waiting for the outcome. Well it turned out I didn't meet the final list. So my decision was to defer the admission I'd previously accepted and obtained a CAS number for, to this year, hoping to just save up the balance required. This, in addition to what other scholarship offer I may get of course. So I did manage to save up, but guess what? The FX thing became the new impediment. At the time I wrote that, my current savings with just maybe a little addition might have been enough. However with new FX rates, even with additional money it will be impossible to meet up. Especially since I no be Otedola pikin. There has been an over 70% increase in the Naira equivalent of the tuition fees.

I'm not convinced it's worth it for a UK MSc considering the conditions of study these days. A US STEM course maybe but certainly not a UK MSc. Still, tuition fees for a good US college with the current FX rates will be prohibitive. I can develop a heart attack just thinking about it. cheesy cheesy cheesy

So I'm working on other options for now (local entrepreneurship). Or what do you think? By the way I just realized how much of a coward I am to remain stuck in a job that offers little fulfillment. grin It's just for the very very short term anyway, I know there are brighter days ahead.

Your thoughts are still much welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 03, 2016
Nice one.
Fellow engineer. Am watching all of u in 4D
Re: Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? by ATERI(m): 9:44pm On Aug 03, 2016
My contribution could have been different if I had seen this last year, but straight to the point:

Please spend more time getting to know yourself, because there are still people that make it in Nigeria without going abroad. If you can save that much in Nigeria doing a salaried job, then I think you can be great in Nigeria once you make up your mind. If you still want to go abroad, let it be anywhere but United Kingdom. Good luck

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Study Free In Germany / Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu / Any Nigerians In Togo? Let's Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.