Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience (1336 Views)

Losing My Dad & Dealing With Lazy Relatives: My Experience / Women Are Powerful Learners / Omg!! See Where This Children Are Taking Their Bath (see Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 1:54pm On Jun 20, 2015
Although not too sure, I think this is my first thread on the family section. Enjoy reading.

Today, precisely few minutes ago, we had a discussion with my two little cousins. The older was telling me about how the candy she was licking, which costs N10, was being being sold @ N15 naira in their school.
Interested, I decided to pull their legs by saying that children were "longer throats"; that the sellers knew this and could afford to sell at any price to them knowing they would still buy it.

BOMBSHELL!
The response of the younger sister who is only 4yrs was really startling. I never knew children could be that logical in reasoning. Here's is what she said: "what about our teachers and compound master who buy it; are they also long throats?"

Her statement implied that my logic was flawed. She used a counter argument to refute my logic. If you say children are generally greedy and so are exploited by the sellers, what do you say of our teachers who buy the candies too; are they also greedy and exploited?

I was immediately on the defensive. I could do or say nothing. Her question came so suddenly.

LESSON
Never underestimate children! They are capable of sound and very logical reasoning. No wonder some countries have now introduced computer programming into curriculum of their primary schools. Help your children to become the best they can become by not limiting them with statements like, "you are too young."

1 Like

Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by lordrayne(m): 1:55pm On Jun 20, 2015
true
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 20, 2015
No wonder some countries have now introduced computer programming into curriculum of their primary schools. Help your children to become the best they can become by not limiting them with statements like, "you are too young."
Seriously! grin
My 8year old cousin can operate any phone even IF it's new to him.
He started the whole tricks when he was just 6years - sincerely speaking/writing, no one taught him.
Infact, he downloads games and some applications all by himself.
Children of these days! gringrin
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by angieberry(f): 2:04pm On Jun 20, 2015
Lol! I guess it's the society we live in now, the computer age.
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by uniqueren(f): 2:05pm On Jun 20, 2015
I learnt a long tym ago not to argue with kids, especially with the intention to sound smart. They will make u look wicked stupid

1 Like

Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by Dannidom(m): 2:08pm On Jun 20, 2015
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy you wan try. I could imagine your face when the girl responded grin grin grin

Lesson:

Neva underestimate kids' over-enthusiastic and insightful minds. Mind you they are taking note of even the miniature things you say or do therefore there is a need to guide them well with your ways b'cos whatever they see you do, will be their first response to that situation
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 2:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

Seriously! grin
He started the whole tricks when he was just 6years - sincerely speaking/writing, no one taught him.
Na wa o for this children. The world is indeed changing o.

Yes, some countries like UK have started. Others such as Hongkong organize lessons after official school hrs on programming for them. I saw it live on BBC.
Here's a link to that of the UK: https://www.ics.ie/news/view/1236

1 Like

Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by Dannidom(m): 2:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
angieberry:
Angieberrie I think I see something in your eyes that is interesting to me
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 2:15pm On Jun 20, 2015
uniqueren:
I learnt a long tym ago not to argue with kids, especially with the intention to sound smart. They will make u look wicked stupid
Haha...sure, I looked silly and tried to cover up.
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by angieberry(f): 2:15pm On Jun 20, 2015
Hian! Pls do not derail this post smiley
Dannidom:
Angieberrie I think I see something in your eyes that is interesting to me
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by SirStevoe(m): 2:19pm On Jun 20, 2015
humnsikan:

LESSON
Never underestimate children! They are capable of sound and very logical reasoning. No wonder some countries have now introduced computer programming into curriculum of their primary schools. Help your children to become the best they can become by not limiting them with statements like, "you are too young."

True words! "Never underestimate children". Unfortunately, most adults, Parents inclusive are so guilty of this act of limitation. Children are capable of much more than we think, especially those of this present generation, the IT age. They should be given freedom to express themselves and partake in several activities, which, with proper guidance will aid rapid development. Children of nowadays are getting smarter and smarter!

1 Like

Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 2:21pm On Jun 20, 2015
Dannidom:
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy you wan try. I could imagine your face when the girl responded grin grin grin

Lesson:

Neva underestimate kids' over-enthusiastic and insightful minds. Mind you they are taking note of even the miniature things you say or do therefore there is a need to guide them well with your ways b'cos whatever they see you do, will be their first response to that situation

You are correct. Today's experience has taught me a big lesson. I wish parents could stop underestimating them. I know how I used to feel when I wasn't allowed to do the things I knew I could because, according to them, I was only a kid. It somehow built inferiority complex, loss of confidence in what I could do, extreme shyness and subserviency into me as I grew up. But God has helped me overcome those negative traits.
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by Crieff(m): 2:22pm On Jun 20, 2015
humnsikan:
Haha...sure, I looked silly and tried to cover up.

You should have admitted that she was correct, that her perspective was very valid.

I guess it is due to their mind being uncluttered
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 2:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
angieberry:
Yeah, it has a lot to do with it. The government can harness this to the benefit of the country
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by SirStevoe(m): 2:24pm On Jun 20, 2015
Hello @FrancisTony, I can totally relate with what you've said. LOL kids of today are just sooo smart! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by Dannidom(m): 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2015
angieberry:
Hian! Pls do not derail this post smiley
I don't care one bit if its derailed or not. Ive made my point on the topic and now to face other (far) interesting topics. With the grace I see in those eyes, what more can I long for. If you will allow me I can make you see yourself in my eyes smiley smiley smiley
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by angieberry(f): 2:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
True that. Little kids in China, children barely able to tie their own shoe laces are already taught programming. I once saw a documentary on how primary school children in China were told to build mini electronic robots.. I was amazed!
humnsikan:
Yeah, it has a lot to do with it. The government can harness this to the benefit of the country
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 2:30pm On Jun 20, 2015
Crieff:

You should have admitted that she was correct, that her perspective was very valid.

I guess it is due to their mind being uncluttered
Once I leave here I'll go and do that. I'm the sort of person that likes making children have a good opinion of themselves. One came back from school and told me that her classmates said she was short in stature. I laughed and told her that she was more intelligent than all of them. That she would be the best. That they were laughing at her because they were not as good as she was. I just like motivating children. I have also discovered something. It is good to teach children to respect their adults, but if care is not taken, they could grow up being subservient and timid.
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 2:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
SirStevoe:

True words! "Never underestimate children". Unfortunately, most adults, Parents inclusive are so guilty of this act of limitation. Children are capable of much more than we think, especially those of this present generation, the IT age. They should be given freedom to express themselves and partake in several activities, which, with proper guidance will aid rapid development. Children of nowadays are getting smarter and smarter!

I couldn't agree more. The key thing is FREEDOM WITH GUIDANCE.
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 2:37pm On Jun 20, 2015
angieberry:
True that. Little kids in China, children barely able to tie their own shoe laces are already taught programming. I once saw a documentary on how primary school children in China were told to build mini electronic robots.. I was amazed!
The statement "catch them young" still holds true. Most top athletes of this world started out at very young ages. Raphael Nadal started playing tennis with his uncle @ 5. Floyd mayweather was always in the ring after school. Messi at small age was already playing against his elders in their local club in argentina, etc.

1 Like

Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by Crieff(m): 2:41pm On Jun 20, 2015
@humnsikan

I wish they will take crime against children seriously on this country. There is nothing as beautiful as a wholesome, self-confident child with a healthy esteem raised up as the prince s and princesses that they are.

They are our future.
Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by humnsikan: 2:48pm On Jun 20, 2015
Crieff:
@humnsikan

I wish they will take crime against children seriously on this country. There is nothing as beautiful as a wholesome, self-confident child with a healthy esteem raised up as the prince s and princesses that they are.

They are our future.

Yes. Such crimes should be taken very seriously. Children must be protected. Children must not be left to starve. Their welfare should be paramount. Parents should desist from having the number of children they know they won't be able to take proper care of and send to good schools. Children's opinions should not always be dismissed with a wave of hands. Try to listen to what they are trying to say in the sea of adults' voices.

1 Like

Re: Children Are Powerful Logical Thinkers: My Experience by MurderX: 5:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

Seriously! grin

I know a 3 year old girl that can operate any phone and download apps too. She finds non smart phones boring though. She started consciously operating phones when she was less than 1.

(1) (Reply)

The Story Mom And Daughter Gives Birth For Same Man Was A Ruse!(pic) / The Types Of Slaps Yoruba Mothers Gives And Their Effects / Torrei Hart Wishes Ex-husband Kevin Hart & Eniko A Happy Married Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.