Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,296 members, 7,780,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:47 PM

The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) (9932 Views)

Indigenous Prince Isaka's Head Broken After Attack By Thugs In A Hotel. Photos / Joe Igbokwe: Igbo Ethnic Bigotry And Hate Campaign Worry Me / APC Sues Fayose Over Composition Of SIEC- Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by PentiumPro(f): 5:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
To make it as an Ibo, you need to leave Iboeland.
In 50 years time, Iboeland would most certainly become desolate.

5 Likes

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by royalcatier: 7:12pm On Jun 23, 2015
That's your problem, just make your mind about where you want to be and behave like it!
AfricanGod2:

Of course there's a difference, and of course you Yoruba are at home in every state in your region, but just like you don't see a difference between moving from one corner of Yorubaland to another, Igbo people dont see a difference between moving from one corner to another within the new Igbo land - Nigeria. It's no longer new actually, it's been their land for about a 100 years and will continue to be so until Igbo people are no longer Nigerians or Nigeria ceases to exist.
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 23, 2015
royalcatier:
That's your problem, just make your mind about where you want to be and behave like it!

Wherever that is you can be damn sure I'll be there kiss

1 Like

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Johot(f): 9:07pm On Sep 19, 2015
Hey Eke40seven.
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Eke40seven(m): 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2015
Johot:
Hey Eke40seven.
your email address...
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Johot(f): 9:18pm On Sep 19, 2015
Eke40seven:
your email address...
Johot40@gmail.com
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by bigfrancis21: 9:18pm On Sep 19, 2015
Interesting. So could it mean that majority of Yoruba 'Lagosians' today are actually descendants of yoruba immigrants from other colonies who have settled in Lagos state to call Lagos their home town? Thus in effect, some self-described Yoruba 'Lagosians' aren't actually native to the state but in actuality immigrants to Lagos state?

2 Likes

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by ibedun: 9:22pm On Sep 19, 2015
saxywale:

You haven't read "chike and the river". Chike said Lagos was next to London grin
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Moheat(m): 9:23pm On Sep 19, 2015
docsholz:
And how is this relevant
Lagos is no man's land. Yoruba and non-yorubas all migrated. I hope this will help?

1 Like

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by ibedun: 9:27pm On Sep 19, 2015
PentiumPro:
To make it as an Ibo, you need to leave Iboeland.
In 50 years time, Iboeland would most certainly become desolate.

I was in Igboland last year and the place is already desolate. It is a wasteland practically. The FG should appoint administrators to manage Igboland and the allocations going there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Hollaniyii(m): 9:57pm On Sep 19, 2015
I wonder why we live like cat and rat on line whereas we run show together in real life..... Sincerely there is no less important tribe in Nigeria and Lagos is what it's today as a result of non Yoruba contributions. That's the bitter truth
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Hollaniyii(m): 9:59pm On Sep 19, 2015
ibedun:

I was in Igboland last year and the place is already desolate. It is a wasteland practically. The FG should appoint administrators to manage Igboland and the allocations going there.

We are trained to respect and love everyone, pls don't call their land a waste....
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Hollaniyii(m): 10:09pm On Sep 19, 2015
IGBOSON2:

^^^See this diseased bastard asking what Igbo were doing in Lagos! Fool, same thing Yoruba are doing in Abuja and even Port Harcourt!

If you want Igbo out of Lagos as your useless moniker suggests, why don't you start by calling for the dissolution of this mere geographical expression?.....And you can champion calls for Odua Republic as well while you're at it!

The sovereignty of Biafra is not impossible but it will be difficult if you are promoting hatred and bitterness among other tribes. I'm a Yoruba man and I believe so much in JUSTICE; you will still need other tribes in one way or the other if u have Biafra today .
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by nwannaeto: 10:11pm On Sep 19, 2015
OoduaVanguard:
I really don't get the point the OP is trying to make with this. Lagos is in the SW region therefore it's a no-brainer that Yorubas would naturally move around within their region -- same way it'll be natural for an Imo state man to freely move around within other SE igbo states.

Igbos and other ethnic groups only started migrating to Lagos in droves since the amalgamation, while the territory has always been within the natural Yoruba environment/ habitat and sphere of influence, even long before the advent of the Europeans.

Yoruba history is deeply embedded in Lagos, so much so that there are lineages of kingship that stretch back into centuries. Can the same be said of any other group in Lagos asides the Yorubas?

During the civil war there were virtually no Igbos in Lagos coz they all ran off to their real home where they truly belong -- the SE. They only started returning again after the war -- which goes to show that Lagos was never really their home to begin with, they are only in Las gidi to hustle and when shyt hits the fan they know where they truly belong.

Why can't igbos build their own version or replica of Lagos in the East instead of trying to lay claim to it?? Or must you people move to Lagos to make it in life? Na wah for Una o.
na your papa build Lagos?

1 Like

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by joeyfire(m): 10:23pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:
Interesting. So could it mean that majority of Yoruba 'Lagosians' today are actually descendants of yoruba immigrants from other colonies who have settled in Lagos state to call Lagos their home town? Thus in effect, some self-described Yoruba 'Lagosians' aren't actually native to the state but in actuality immigrants to Lagos state?

Bros 99% of the yorubas you see shouting "Lagos Na we own, leave am for us" are not Lagos indigenes but Yorubas from the hinterland.

Authentic Lagos indigenes like Jimi Agbaje don't need to shout too much. Lagos is theirs and they are not insecure

1 Like

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Shittaakeem(m): 10:59pm On Sep 19, 2015
Op pls u know nothing about Lagos
The first people to settle in Lagos where the awori.
They originate from Ogun state.
And FYI some LGA in Lagos where formally Ogun state e.g Somolu, yaba etc
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Shittaakeem(m): 11:07pm On Sep 19, 2015
saxywale:

how can Yoruba's migrate to Lagos when yorubas(awori and Ijebu) are natives
don't mind this IBO people
my dad told me the awori were the first people to in Lagos
He even told me that somolu and some other LGA were carved out from Ogun state
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by OduaVanguard: 11:25pm On Sep 19, 2015
Shittaakeem:
Op pls u know nothing about Lagos
The first people to settle in Lagos where the awori.
They originate from Ogun state.
And FYI some LGA in Lagos where formally Ogun state e.g Somolu, yaba etc

Don't mind the OP and his closet land-grabbing cohorts. They don't know that Lagos consists 3 Islands and a part of the Mainland. Eko, Victoria, Apapa are Islands. The mainland starts from IDDO, carter Bridge end, Ebute Meta, yaba. The boundary was Jibowu, Idi-Oro.
To that extent, Fadeyi, Shomolu, Maryland, Anthony Ikeja, Mushin, Agege weren't parts of Lagos before it became a 'state'. These places were in the old Western Region with capital at Ibadan.

Those places though now in Lagos State should not be confused with the Lagos which ended at Jibowu, Yaba.

But then again, I wasn't expecting any different from them since they are mere traders who came to Lagos to sell market without knowing her history and now are cooking up fables. Smh undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by EasternLionn: 11:41pm On Sep 19, 2015
No man's territory, na migrate everybody migrate reach there. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Call me for spirit world, i go repeat same thing.
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Shittaakeem(m): 11:44pm On Sep 19, 2015
OduaVanguard:

Don't mind the OP and his closet land-grabbing cohorts. They don't know that Lagos consists 3 Islands and a part of the Mainland. Eko, Victoria, Apapa are Islands. The mainland starts from IDDO, carter Bridge end, Ebute Meta, yaba. The boundary was Jibowu, Idi-Oro.
To that extent, Fadeyi, Shomolu, Maryland, Anthony Ikeja, Mushin, Agege weren't parts of Lagos before it became a 'state'. These places were in the old Western Region with capital at Ibadan.

Those places though now in Lagos State should not be confused with the Lagos which ended at Jibowu, Yaba.

But then again, I wasn't expecting any different from them since they are mere traders who came to Lagos to sell market without knowing her history and now are cooking up fables. Smh undecided
gbam confirm true lagosian.
They(Igbo) will always ignore the truth.

2 Likes

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:18am On Sep 20, 2015
Why HEE.GBOS too like gidis sef, Lawaooo

3 Likes

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Nobody: 7:10am On Sep 20, 2015
Ibos, be afraid, be very very afraid. The future leaders of the south west have already taken notice of your hate for the indigenous people of the land and your desire for Lagos.

People like us won't have much convincing to do if we want to make policies to chase IBO's out of the SW as a whole.

I warned ya'all didn't I? ojukwu's children never learnt anything from the civil war. The battle is won and lost already.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 20, 2015
Alcatraz001:
Ibos, be afraid, be very very afraid. The future leaders of the south west have already taken notice of your hate for the indigenous people of the land and your desire for Lagos.

People like us won't have much convincing to do if we want to make policies to chase IBO's out of the SW as a whole.

I warned ya'all didn't I? ojukwu's children never learnt anything from the civil war. The battle is won and lost already.

Silly rant of ant!
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 20, 2015
Eke40seven:
I was going through an old textbook written by Akin L Mobogunje (prof.) in 1968 titled, "Urbanisation in Nigeria" and stumbled upon interesting bits of information about the population of Lagos which I will like to share here......Other Lagos born Nigerians like me will find it interesting. It shows that Lagos have been multi ethnic and diverse from the inception of her growth to prominence and her rise to the status of a modern metropolis cannot be attributed to a single group.
The following are excerpts from the book.....

“The important aspect of the large number of immigrants into Lagos during this period is the diversity of ethnic groups. Before 1931 no figures are given of Yoruba immigrants, although it is known that they are considerable. Table 37 however, shows that in 1931 and 1950 they were the most important single group of immigrants. Within the Yoruba area, the source region of most of these immigrants comprised the Colony, Abeokuta, Ijebu, Ondo, Oyo and Ilorin Provinces…..”
Check the first and second picture to examine the growth pattern of the Abeokuta and Oyo provinces and contrast with that of Ijebu.
“Nonetheless, although the total number of Yoruba immigrants had risen by 85% between 1931 and 1950, the rise in the case of Non Yoruba had been of the order of 115%. Non-Yoruba immigrants are divided into three classes namely natives of Nigeria, Africans and non-Africans. Among the natives of Nigeria, the most important ethnic group represented in Lagos were the Ibo, the Ijaw, the Edo and the Hausa….”
Check the table in the 3rd picture
“The most striking fact from the table is the phenomenal rise of the number of Ibo from less than 300 in 1911 to nearly 26,000 by 1950. Nearly half of the Ibo came from the single province of Owerri, while less than 15% came from Ogoja and Rivers provinces………………………………………………………………………..it is however noteworthy that the major influx of Ibo into Lagos began just before 1931, about the time when the eastern line of the railway was completed from Port Harcourt, through the Ibo country, to join the western line at Kaduna. Both the Ijaw and the Edo maintained their relative position during the period……….The position of the Hausa immigrants is most greatly curious. Throughout the period they showed little change in their total number although their relative position declined”

LAGOS
Originally governed as a British crown colony, Lagos was part of the United Kingdom’s West African Settlements from 1866 to 1874, when it became part of the Gold Coast Colony (modern Ghana). In 1886 it again achieved separate status under a British governor, and in 1906 it was amalgamated with the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria. When Southern and Northern Nigeria were amalgamated in 1914, Lagos was made the capital of the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria. In 1954 most of the hinterland was incorporated into the region of Western Nigeria, while the city itself was designated as federal territory. In 1960 Lagos became the capital of independent Nigeria. Control of its hinterland was returned to the city in 1967 with the creation of Lagos state. After 1975 a new national capital, centrally situated near Abuja, was developed to replace Lagos, which by then suffered from slums, environmental pollution, and traffic congestion.

By the late 15th century Lagos Island had been settled by Yoruba fishermen and hunters, who called it Oko. The area was dominated by the kingdom of Benin, which called it Eko, from the late 16th century to the mid-19th century. The Portuguese first landed on Lagos Island in 1472; trade developed slowly, however, until the Portuguese were granted a slaving monopoly a century later. The local obas (kings) enjoyed good relations with the Portuguese, who called the island Onim (and, later, Lagos) and who established a flourishing slave trade. British attempts to suppress the slave trade culminated in 1851 in a naval attack on Lagos and the deposition of the oba. The slave trade continued to grow, however, until Lagos came under British control in 1861.

http://www.britannica.com/place/Lagos-Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 20, 2015
OduaVanguard:

bigfrancis21:
kettykin:
Both yorubas and non yorubas migrated into lagos
meforyou1:
Confirms what I have been saying for a long time. Lagos is a no man's land. Yorubas migrated into it to like other tribes did
Hmm, from your lack of numeracy skills I can safely assume you're a product of poor quality free education. God knows where you pulled the 257 000 from, but i'll just throw your words right back at you:

Now we see why Yorubaland was never developed. In twenty years from 1931 to 1951, 130 853 of them abandoned home for Lagos.

It was an even greater number than that of the Igbo people seeking new opportunities in Lagos after the end of their war for self determination.

No more disputing the fact....now we need to ask, what where these great number of Yoruba people running away from in Yorubaland?
Of course there's a difference, and of course you Yoruba are at home in every state in your region, but just like you don't see a difference between moving from one corner of Yorubaland to another, Igbo people dont see a difference between moving from one corner to another within the new Igbo land - Nigeria. It's no longer new actually, it's been their land for about a 100 years and will continue to be so until Igbo people are no longer Nigerians or Nigeria ceases to exist.
joeyfire:
Bros 99% of the yorubas you see shouting "Lagos Na we own, leave am for us" are not Lagos indigenes but Yorubas from the hinterland.

Authentic Lagos indigenes like Jimi Agbaje don't need to shout too much. Lagos is theirs and they are not insecure
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by FacelessPatriot: 5:36pm On Sep 20, 2015
in few years from now, Igbos will produce the Governor of Lagos State. The Yorubas has lost our respect for them. things were not always like this until they started looking down on us. Thanks to Oba Akiolu for uniting the igbos in Lagos. Now we have a common goal
Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by scholes0(m): 5:57pm On Sep 20, 2015
FacelessPatriot:
in few years from now, Igbos will produce the Governor of Lagos State. The Yorubas has lost our respect for them. things were not always like this until they started looking down on us. Thanks to Oba Akiolu for uniting the igbos in Lagos. Now we have a common goal

hahahahahaha
How long will the "few" years be? ... I don't see it happening anytime soon.

And whatever happened to the "we want biafra" project?

1 Like

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by FacelessPatriot: 6:05pm On Sep 20, 2015
scholes0:

hahahahahaha
How long will the "few" years be? ... I don't see it happening anytime soon.

And whatever happened to the "we want biafra" project?

Lagos is Biafraland grin grin grin it hurts right? you asked for it

1 Like

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by scholes0(m): 6:07pm On Sep 20, 2015
FacelessPatriot:

Lagos is Biafraland grin grin grin it hurts right? you asked for it

of course, it is biafra... can't you see that after Yaba, Orlu is the next town....

1 Like

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 20, 2015
FacelessPatriot:

[img]http://i.memeful.com/media/post/lMzzzeM_700wa_0.giff[/img]

You see son its good to have big dreams you know and i love you for that.I was once like you too. When I was in primary school, I use to tell my friends back home that my seat partner busayo is my girlfriend meanwhile I was only living in cloud 9 cheesy grin cheesy grin. I wished it was that way too but reality didn't support me but i won't discourage you. Never give up on your dreams hun.Who knows you might achieve it just like I believe one day i will build castles in the sky cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 20, 2015
scholes0:

of course, it is biafra... can't you see that after Yaba, Orlu is the next town....

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: The Indigenous Ethnic Composition Of Lagos (1911-1950) by Yeske2(m): 6:16pm On Sep 20, 2015
LAGrejectIBO:
Now we see why Iboland was never developed. In twenty years, from 1930 to 51....., 257,000 of them abandoned home for Yorubaland.

It was even worse than that after the war and millions of starving Ibos trekked across the land and forest to find refuge in Yorubaland.

No more disputing the fact....now we need to ask, what is Ibo running from the East for?
You want to know why Igbos are migrating to and i want to know why the Yorubas are migrating to Lagos too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Diversification: Nigeria Hunts Down 700,000 Firms In Tax Crackdown To Offset Oil / 2019: Impostors Trying To Submit Fake Names To INEC – PDP / 2023: Stop Threatening Others, Dialogue With North, South – Ohanaeze To Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.