Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo (4532 Views)

Man Kills Monkeys In Port-Harcourt, Uses Them To Prepare Pepper Soup. Photos / Tiger Nuts, Health Benefits And How To Prepare The Milk / How To Prepare The Spinach & Mushroom Pasta With Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by Nobody: 2:08am On Jun 21, 2015
Edikang-Ikong Soup
There are various dishes in Calabar, one of which is the
popular Edikang-Ikong soup. Edikang
Ikong is the very most expensive Nigerian dish and arguably
Nigeria's most popular cosmopolitan dish. This special
delicacy is prepared with vegetable pumpkin leaves
(ikong ubong/ugwu), water leaf (mong mong Ikong),
fish, meat, periwinkle (mfi ikpok), palm oil, cray fish and
other essential ingredients. It can also be eaten with
either garri, fufu, amala, tuwo, semovita or pounded
yam.
Recipe
Ikg/21b assorted meat (beef, oxtail, tripe, ponmo,
bokoto and bush meat), snails (washed with lemon and
limes)
450g/1lb stockfish (pre-soaked)
450g/1lb dry fish (thoroughly washed)
450g/1lb periwinkles
225g/8oz whole dry prawns (cleaned)
225g/8oz ground crayfish
1.35kg/3lb fresh Ikong ubong (pumpkin leaves; washed
& shredded)
1kg/21b fresh waterleaf (washed and shredded)
200ml palm oil
600ml/1pt stock
and salt to taste
Preparation
Wash the meat thoroughly and place in a large pot. Add
some sliced onions, ground chillies and some meat
stock. Place on heat and cook for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, remove the snail from the shells and wash
thoroughly with lime or lemon juice to remove slime.
Wash the smoked dry fish with salt and soak in slightly
salted water for 5 minutes in order to kill any insect and
loosen any sand or dirt.
Rinse thoroughly with lots of cold water. Top and tail
the periwinkles and wash thoroughly. Add the snails,
stockfish, dry fish, dry prawns and periwinkles to the
pot of meat and cook for another 10 minutes and add
more stock fish if required. Finally add the shredded
Ikong Ubong (pumpkin leaves) and waterleaf, mix in
properly. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes and then add
the crayfish and palm oil. Give it a good stir and gentle
simmer for another 10 minutes until well blended and
the aroma fills the kitchen. Remove from heat and serve
hot with fufu or pounded yam.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by udysweet(f): 5:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nice one @op. But let's be sure its d most expensive o. Is it in term of d nkong and mmong mmong ikong?
Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by aydelicious: 5:12pm On Jun 22, 2015
RicardozRichard:
Edikang-Ikong Soup There are various dishes in Calabar, one of which is the popular Edikang-Ikong soup. Edikang Ikong is the very most expensive Nigerian dish and arguably Nigeria's most popular cosmopolitan dish. This special delicacy is prepared with vegetable pumpkin leaves (ikong ubong/ugwu), water leaf (mong mong Ikong), fish, meat, periwinkle (mfi ikpok), palm oil, cray fish and other essential ingredients. It can also be eaten with either garri, fufu, amala, tuwo, semovita or pounded yam. Recipe Ikg/21b assorted meat (beef, oxtail, tripe, ponmo, bokoto and bush meat), snails (washed with lemon and limes) 450g/1lb stockfish (pre-soaked) 450g/1lb dry fish (thoroughly washed) 450g/1lb periwinkles 225g/8oz whole dry prawns (cleaned) 225g/8oz ground crayfish 1.35kg/3lb fresh Ikong ubong (pumpkin leaves; washed & shredded) 1kg/21b fresh waterleaf (washed and shredded) 200ml palm oil 600ml/1pt stock and salt to taste Preparation Wash the meat thoroughly and place in a large pot. Add some sliced onions, ground chillies and some meat stock. Place on heat and cook for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, remove the snail from the shells and wash thoroughly with lime or lemon juice to remove slime. Wash the smoked dry fish with salt and soak in slightly salted water for 5 minutes in order to kill any insect and loosen any sand or dirt. Rinse thoroughly with lots of cold water. Top and tail the periwinkles and wash thoroughly. Add the snails, stockfish, dry fish, dry prawns and periwinkles to the pot of meat and cook for another 10 minutes and add more stock fish if required. Finally add the shredded Ikong Ubong (pumpkin leaves) and waterleaf, mix in properly. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes and then add the crayfish and palm oil. Give it a good stir and gentle simmer for another 10 minutes until well blended and the aroma fills the kitchen. Remove from heat and serve hot with fufu or pounded yam.
hhmmmmmm,is going to be delicious oooo.
Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by mrbillz(m): 4:47am On Jun 23, 2015
Hmmm! Yummy...

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 23, 2015
udysweet:
Nice one @op. But let's be sure its d most expensive o. Is it in term of d nkong and mmong mmong ikong?
Actually yeah the nkong is a exoensive and more so the preparation of the Food alone. material wise it very expensive and this is a dish that when cooked it must be refrigerated else it would lose every bit of its delicacy especially its taste....""Hmmmmmmm Soup wey sweet na money kill am"" lolz
Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jun 23, 2015
aydelicious:

hhmmmmmm,is going to be delicious oooo.

My dear this is a word of a doubting Thomas.., lolzzz. Look dude. Edikang Ikong is a jewelry food In restaurants abroad, the bill u get for a plate of Edikang ikong can create a hole in ur pocket.. haha haha even though the restaurants won't prepare it at the best compared to when
akwaibom/calabar aged/grandma prepare it. Do you kW why? Restaurants that sells this food don't cook it very rich ,because of its Expensive nature attached to it. Do u want to kW a secret!!! I kW it would be yes... let me tell u all some secret of the restaurants who engage in preparation of this delicacy
1. They don't prepare it with the main Ikong leaf when I mean the ""main Ikong leaf ""Am talking about the patiently harvested crop with natural nutrient . but instead farmers this days don't wait for it to grow anymore instead they use a fertilizer or chemical to boost the growth of the crop which is advantageous for business but disadvantageous for consumption. Lolz
2.The preparation of the soup suppose to take atleast more than an hour but this cooks at restaurants won't be patient enough to cook it to the best done.hahaha ""time is money "" ""customers can't wait sellers cant wait"" hahaha that's just the two secret I ll tell now before somebody place a curse on me for letting the cat out of the bag lolzzz....
But honestly the best way to prepare this is when its done by urself at home with conscious expenses .... or the best way to enjoy it ,is get ur ass to the sitting room and handover the kitchen to an experienced grandma from akwaibom or calabar perharp for any state so far she is experienced to prepare Some Quality Edikang ikong ""Quality is expensive""

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jun 23, 2015
mrbillz:
Hmmm! Yummy...
Hahahahahaha I suppose u don't have a problem cos quite alright your name fits the dish (MR BILLz) Hahaha

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by mrbillz(m): 4:42am On Jun 24, 2015
grin
RicardozRichard:

Hahahahahaha I suppose u don't have a problem cos quite alright your name fits the dish (MR BILLz) Hahaha
LOL grin
RicardozRichard:

LOL
Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by aydelicious: 2:25pm On Jun 26, 2015
RicardozRichard:

My dear this is a word of a doubting Thomas.., lolzzz. Look dude. Edikang Ikong is a jewelry food In restaurants abroad, the bill u get for a plate of Edikang ikong can create a hole in ur pocket.. haha haha even though the restaurants won't prepare it at the best compared to when
akwaibom/calabar aged/grandma prepare it. Do you kW why? Restaurants that sells this food don't cook it very rich ,because of its Expensive nature attached to it. Do u want to kW a secret!!! I kW it would be yes... let me tell u all some secret of the restaurants who engage in preparation of this delicacy
1. They don't prepare it with the main Ikong leaf when I mean the ""main Ikong leaf ""Am talking about the patiently harvested crop with natural nutrient . but instead farmers this days don't wait for it to grow anymore instead they use a fertilizer or chemical to boost the growth of the crop which is advantageous for business but disadvantageous for consumption. Lolz
2.The preparation of the soup suppose to take atleast more than an hour but this cooks at restaurants won't be patient enough to cook it to the best done.hahaha ""time is money "" ""customers can't wait sellers cant wait"" hahaha that's just the two secret I ll tell now before somebody place a curse on me for letting the cat out of the bag lolzzz....
But honestly the best way to prepare this is when its done by urself at home with conscious expenses .... or the best way to enjoy it ,is get ur ass to the sitting room and handover the kitchen to an experienced grandma from akwaibom or calabar perharp for any state so far she is experienced to prepare Some Quality Edikang ikong ""Quality is expensive""
na soon oolong! ....
Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by udysweet(f): 4:18am On Jun 28, 2015
RicardozRichard:

Actually yeah the nkong is a exoensive and more so the preparation of the Food alone. material wise it very expensive and this is a dish that when cooked it must be refrigerated else it would lose every bit of its delicacy especially its taste....""Hmmmmmmm Soup wey sweet na money kill am"" lolz
Lol. I know my brother cos me sef na full blooded uyo lady,lol

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 28, 2015
udysweet:
Lol. I know my brother cos me sef na full blooded uyo lady,lol
Confirm.... When last did u prepare it?
Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by udysweet(f): 2:34pm On Jun 28, 2015
RicardozRichard:

Confirm.... When last did u prepare it?

My brother long ago o,lol. I'm not a fan of it that much. Especially since vegetables around are not that fresh jo
Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by Enoquin(f): 9:04am On Jun 29, 2015
Edikaikong dey expensive for obodo oyibo? Eeya...definitely not in Akwa Ibom or Calabar, it would be like the 3rd or 4th expensive soup.
Re: How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 29, 2015
Enoquin:
Edikaikong dey expensive for obodo oyibo? Eeya...definitely not in Akwa Ibom or Calabar, it would be like the 3rd or 4th expensive soup.

Yes you are accurately right. Edikang Ikong cost the least $120 in american average Nigerian restaurant and that's not up to even a handful, which wont be good esp for me to have always downloaded toooooooo much.
Trust me even if it is placed on Barack Obama's table no doubt he won't be able to resist it.
Ops, take a trip to any restaurant and order for the most expensive soup they have. unless there is no Edikiang iKong, then u have been lied to

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Razzest Food That U Just Lurv?share! / Domino's In Nigeria Came Out With "Chicken Jollof Pizza / Cockroach Soup!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.