Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not (1706 Views)

Pls Car Gurus Come And Help See To This Car / 7 Myths About Fuel Economy / Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 11:46am On Jun 21, 2015
Please interpret my fuel economy for me,the yellow portion moves either up or down depending on the pressure of your step on the pedal.

Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 21, 2015
jodeci:
Please interpret my fuel economy for me,the yellow portion moves either up or down depending on the pressure of your step on the pedal.

That's a Nissan/Infiniti judging from the knobs. how do you expect us to know if the economy is good or bad when you never mentioned the type of vehicle, size, engine type and other important information?
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 11:56am On Jun 21, 2015
Sorry,that was an omisssion.

Engine size: 4.0,6cylinders,4WD LE 2007 Nissan pathfinder.

lomomike:

That's a Nissan/Infiniti judging from the knobs. how do you expect us to know if the economy is good or bad when you never mentioned the type of vehicle, size, engine type and other important information?
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by xreal: 12:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
You haven't given useful information.

The picture isn't clear.

What car?
Engine capacity, number of plugs, average fuel burnt per distance et.c
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
jodeci:
Sorry,that was an omisssion.
Engine size: 4.0,6cylinders,4WD LE 2007 Nissan pathfinder.

14MPG city, 16MPG combined 20MPG highway
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Nissan2007.shtml
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by nurey(m): 12:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
this your fuel economy is nothing to write home about, even a V8 shouldn't be this worse nah. but u should still do your own manual calculation, the digital may not be too accurate.

if the computer is right, then the question we must ask you is to scan your car for error codes, engine fault and revert back to default settings
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 1:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
nurey:
this your fuel economy is nothing to write home about, even a V8 shouldn't be this worse nah. but u should still do your own manual calculation, the digital may not be too accurate.

if the computer is right, then the question we must ask you is to scan your car for error codes, engine fault and revert back to default settings

With check engine currently on,Scan threw up P0714 as error code.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 1:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike:

14MPG city, 16MPG combined 20MPG highway

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Nissan2007.shtml

If this is right then my average MPG of 10.3 is ok
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
jodeci:

If this is right then my average MPG of 10.3 is ok
For you it might be okay, for me, its a big NO!
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 3:55pm On Jun 21, 2015
In your opinion,what should be the ideal fuel economy for an engine of the above capacity.

Aĺl things being equal,how does one improve fuel economy? From my hinds view,fuel consumption is more now that it was 3 years ago when i bought the car.

I have not change anything or worked on the car apart from changing shocks and lube oil at advisory intervals.The air/fuel filter is still the factory one it came with.

lomomike:

For you it might be okay, for me, its a big NO!
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by MightyThor(m): 4:02pm On Jun 21, 2015
Aside from the check engine light or fixing all codes, there is also these to consider as reason for the low mile per gallon.
1. Your driving habit, try coasting as much as possible. Also try not to exceed 2000rpm when crusing. Avoid abrupt change of speed whenever possible, try to cruise at the speed with the highest mpg while not being a hazard to other drivers.

2. Traffic, remember that is your AVERAGE mpg so it also considers the times your in traffic, warming the car and all such time when the car is on but not in motion. Those times you have 0mpg! So these are computed to the times you actually drive and bring down your mpg. So if you experience heavy traffic your mpg will drop.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 4:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
MightyThor:
Aside from the check engine light or fixing all codes, there is also these to consider as reason for the low mile per gallon.
1. Your driving habit, try coasting as much as possible. Also try not to exceed 2000rpm when crusing. Avoid abrupt change of speed whenever possible, try to cruise at the speed with the highest mpg while not being a hazard to other drivers.

2. Traffic, remember that is your AVERAGE mpg so it also considers the times your in traffic, warming the car and all such time when the car is on but not in motion. Those times you have 0mpg! So these are computed to the times you actually drive and bring down your mpg. So if you experience heavy traffic your mpg will drop.

Thanks for your opinion.
Yes, fuel economy is always best when coasting,i just wish i cld be disciplined enough to run at coasting speed.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by nurey(m): 5:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
I know the op is sane enough not to always depress the pedal to its limit, or is the op always racing and overtaking vehicles all the time. the error code is seriously affecting your mpg. come on the AVG calculated by the manufacturer is 16mpg he is 6mpg short which no be beans. his average is even worse than a V8 powered range rover of same year.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
nurey:
I know the op is sane enough not to always depress the pedal to its limit, or is the op always racing and overtaking vehicles all the time. the error code is seriously affecting your mpg. come on the AVG calculated by the manufacturer is 16mpg he is 6mpg short which no be beans. his average is even worse than a V8 powered range rover of same year.

Please educate me further,i thought 10.3mpg is better that 16mpg,how is this calculated.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
jodeci:

Please educate me further,i thought 10.3mpg is better that 16mpg,how is this calculated.

Bro, what's your cold tyre pressure, what's your Nissan's recommended cold tyre pressure specification its written in your manual, the 'B' pillar just below the door lock catch, and in the glove box.
If you use 4WD always, pls move the knob to 2WD.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 6:53pm On Jun 21, 2015
lomomike:

Bro, what's your cold tyre pressure, what's your Nissan's recommended cold tyre pressure specification its written in your manual, the 'B' pillar just below the door lock catch, and in the glove box.
If you use 4WD always, pls move the knob to 2WD.

35psi is my cold tyre pressure.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2015
jodeci:

35psi is my cold tyre pressure.
Does it fall in sync with the vehicle's manufacturers spec?
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by nissparts(m): 12:10am On Jun 22, 2015
If you are in lagos and commute daily from mainland to island for example, your reading is not abnormal
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by ogawisdom(m): 7:44am On Jun 22, 2015
Op someone with 4.0 v6 engine shld b able to buy fuel nw grin u choose power to economy wen u bought dt ride so u can't eat ur cake n ve it tongue

Jst scan ur ride sha if u r gettin mpg far frm factory recommendation

Is lik u use d ride mostly in city, it shld do beta on mpg on highway
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 8:29am On Jun 22, 2015
ogawisdom:
Op someone with 4.0 v6 engine shld b able to buy fuel nw grin u choose power to economy wen u bought dt ride so u can't eat ur cake n ve it tongue

Jst scan ur ride sha if u r gettin mpg far frm factory recommendation

Is lik u use d ride mostly in city, it shld do beta on mpg on highway

Lolzzz! Of course i fit buy fuel,i just wan know if the ride needs tune up as the ride no de gree get serious fault upon the stress i dey give am.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by nurey(m): 8:33am On Jun 22, 2015
jodeci:

your 10 is worst than than 16 now the quoted mpg for ur ride as stated by lomomike is
14city (doing city driving)
20 highway (when on the highway with no traffic)
16 combined (when you do little of both).

as you can see, the average is always higher than the city, so if you doing city, you may be actually on 8mpg or less just my guess.

your car as you said has thrown a code, let's know what that code says. also check your tyre pressure and tyre size, you should be using the same tyre size on all 4 legs and make sure you use the recommended tyre pressure (psi). do this easy diagnosis and then we move to other problems that could cause this
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 9:11am On Jun 22, 2015
nurey:

your 10 is worst than than 16 now the quoted mpg for ur ride as stated by lomomike is
14city (doing city driving)
20 highway (when on the highway with no traffic)
16 combined (when you do little of both).

as you can see, the average is always higher than the city, so if you doing city, you may be actually on 8mpg or less just my guess.

your car as you said has thrown a code, let's know what that code says. also check your tyre pressure and tyre size, you should be using the same tyre size on all 4 legs and make sure you use the recommended tyre pressure (psi). do this easy diagnosis and then we move to other problems that could cause this

Thanks bro.I do mostly city commuting with ocassional weekend high way travels.

Recommended cold tyre pressure is 35 which ups to 38psi when hot.

I try as much as possible to stay within range with -+ 5 above the rating.

Rim 17/265/65 is my tire size.

As i stated earlier,from my experience fuel consumption is higher now than it was 3years ago and i have had no reason to tune or do any major work on the car as it does not give me any worries,just recently check engine light came on and the code was P0174.

I have not changed the air/fuel filter since i bought the car.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by nurey(m): 9:53am On Jun 22, 2015
jodeci:

As i stated earlier,from my experience fuel consumption is higher now than it was 3years ago and i have had no reason to tune or do any major work on the car as it does not give me any worries,just recently check engine light came on and the code was P0174.

I am just your average Joe car enthusiast and I may not be able to render much help to you. I know when changing engine oil, you are expected to also change the filter. Are you using the recommended engine oil as stated by the manufacturer.

P0174 http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p0174_nissan.html follow that link to solve the code. I believe that is your low mpg issue
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by billy187(m): 10:40am On Jun 22, 2015
Op, you might wanna do something about that lean fuel issue popping up. My Chevy Suburban got roughly 15mpg mixed...I have even calculated 20mpg at times- and that truck had a 5.7l V8! The only times I got a mpg in the 10s or single digits were when I had a 30 foot + Airstream trailer in tow.

But then, your low mpg could be other factors such as driving habit ( I'm really stingy on the gas pedal).

I'd advise you do look into it asap though-that 6mpg penalty will add up...quickly.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by Nobody: 10:55am On Jun 22, 2015
jodeci:

Can you breathe properly in dusty environment?
If Yes, im out of this thread.
if No, then change the air filter.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by nissparts(m): 11:02am On Jun 22, 2015
For the 0174, start by doing an injector service.
Do not use an injector cleaner (Nissans dont respond to those very well)
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 12:03pm On Jun 22, 2015
lomomike:

Can you breathe properly in dusty environment?
If Yes, im out of this thread.
if No, then change the air filter.

LOL.
Re: Pls Car Gurus Advice If My Fuel Economy Is Ok Or Not by jodeci(m): 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
nissparts:
For the 0174, start by doing an injector service.
Do not use an injector cleaner (Nissans dont respond to those very well)

Bro,i am scared of anyone going near my injectors,i am port harcourt based,assuming i am i Lagos i would have had more confidence.

(1) (Reply)

Enquiry About Hyundai Accent Parts Affordability / Can Nigeria Motorist Ever Do This During The Traffic / Which Car Would You Buy Out Of These

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.