Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) (46836 Views)

Widow Banished For Having Sex On Late Husband’s Bed In Ebonyi (Photo) / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / Father Caught Daughter With Her Boyfriend In Ebonyi Having Sex (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Pavore9: 5:20am On Jun 22, 2015
bishop4life:

you must be d greatest joker of the century...hehe.
go home and learn from the elders you no gree,
read and learn the book of law u know gree.
you think the national law forbids to custom and traditions?
keep fulling yourself.

He doesn't know that even if he married the igbo woman at the Supreme court and yet to marry her traditionally, the family of the woman involved will never recognize their daughter as being married to him and the children in the union are not his, DNA test does not count here. lt is like a man having an affair with a woman who has been properly married to another man even if the woman is having issues with her husband and in the course of her relationship with the boyfriend gets pregnant, the boyfriend has no paternal right over the child.

Properly marrying a woman is a control against the current trend of baby mamas. In some communities where a single lady gives birth, the child automatically bears her father's name, it will be foolhardy for a man to think he can impregnate a woman from such place and become a father without being a husband!

3 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Votukpa(m): 5:57am On Jun 22, 2015
3ace:
Serves him right-Why didn't he perform the traditional rite before now? You are from the same tribe and I'm sure you must have been aware that this is what will happen if she dies. I guess he was just taking it for granted.

Africans and their traditions of double standard.
Was the woman raped?
Did she not consent to leave and have kids with the man without coercion?
Gone are the days when women were considered chattel or property without ability to decide their fate in matters such as this.

Nowadays, women know exactly what they are doing and what they went when they spread open their golden gates which ever man. It behooves men, however, to know that things aren't really different from how they were several years back.

Shaking my head @ marrying a corpse. Africans must come up from this level of degeneracy called "tradition".

2 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Votukpa(m): 6:31am On Jun 22, 2015
Pavore9:

He doesn't know that even if he married the igbo woman at the Supreme court and yet to marry her traditionally, the family of the woman involved will never recognize their daughter as being married to him and the children in the union are not his, DNA test does not count here. lt is like a man having an affair with a woman who was been properly married another man even if the woman is having issues with her husband and in the course of her relationship with the boyfriend gets pregnant, the boyfriend has no paternal right over the child.

Properly marrying a woman is a control against the current trend of baby mamas. In some communities where a single lady gives baby, the child automatically bears her father's, it will foolhardy for a man to think he can impregnate a woman from such place and become a father without being a husband!

This cultural trend is therefore justified.
That being said, has it worked recently?

Go to the east and most homes have at least one baby mama and I'm not talking about the mama of the home.

Unfortunately such traditional measures aimed at curbing certain aspects of human frailty, grossly underestimate the extent to which people will throw caution into the wind to obey their own lust. Especially the so called baby mama's. Moreover, no one could remotely predict the advent of things like the Internet and whatsapp to adjust the tradition to the relities that would ensue in the 21st century.

Even worse, there is one peculiar anomaly to be found among the igbos, as regards marriage and sex:
1. Women are allowed be made pregnant Before marriage by their suitors to ensure shes able to conceive.
2. A man cannot lay claim to his biological children without performing accepted marital rights first.

Has anyone noticed how fem centric this arrangement is Apart from that, it it thoroughly unworkable. Let me explain.

The system is set up to trap men and to benefit women because men are typically concerned about their paternity and so women or feminists use this to their benefit to ensure that huge amounts of resources flow from the man to the woman and to her family, BEFORE and AFTER marriage. I heard that the premium goes up if the man got the lady pregnant first.... But what wait a second...isnt that part of the tradition to start with??

Culturaly, women are more valuable than men in Igbo land but this is staunchly denied by igbos, especially thier women. Whey do they deny this, to conceal their true intentions and those of their kinsmen as well. And since every family with beautiful girls will benefit from this arrangement, everyone keeps quiet about the anomaly and tradition continues. Women are indeed valuable assets in igboland, especially the beautiful ones as they can can inspire lust in a man to impregnate her before marriage thereby securing a huge marriage premium for her and her family. Notice how it's all business when it comes to marriage lists and bride price. The poor man who is is head over heels cannot even see the arrangement. Most igbo men will not see this.
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by ceejay80s(m): 6:40am On Jun 22, 2015
bishop4life:

you must be d greatest joker of the century...hehe. go home and learn from the elders you no gree, read and learn the book of law u know gree. you think the national law forbids to custom and traditions? keep fulling yourself.
U wey go school, this is the original spelling for "FOOLING" itiboribo
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nicepoker(m): 6:53am On Jun 22, 2015
booqee:
sometimes I forget there's a state called ebonyi.

Meanwhile that tradition is so backward!!! It should be abolished.. This is 2015 abeg! How would we ever move forward as a pple nitori Olohun?! undecided
really? Wait till u are a victim
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nicepoker(m): 6:55am On Jun 22, 2015
williams368:
Datz bulshit... Igbo land wit money... Dey dnt value life's wen it cmes 2 money. No wonder dey hv d highest nos of runs babes.
come and modify this comment.
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 22, 2015
eyeview:
Its a practice that is used to discourage all these men who'll take a fellow man's daughter into their homes where they'll be having kids without proper marriage. In any event the woman dies,the man would be made to conduct a proper marriage with her corpse before anything.
Though not in support of that act in places where practised but it should be a deterrent to all these single guys who wouldn't do the proper thing but wants to have kids.

Shatap there! The proper thing is to have children n not to marry! Can you marry a woman and survive? Food for thought. Check out the scenario here, the guy would rather marry her dead than alive if only to keep his kids! Women are devils sir/madam. If yours appears to be good, wait a little longer, you'll see the real her. For me it's kids all da way! Osho Baba had once advised a woman representing women to go n......pls help me complete cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by ayindejimmy(m): 7:57am On Jun 22, 2015
SOMETIMES, a man's got to do what a man's got to do
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by MOORCHMOORE(m): 8:07am On Jun 22, 2015
Lol... So who stands as Blessing in this game?
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by xchrisss90(m): 8:31am On Jun 22, 2015
hmmmm dis 1 is strong
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by chamboy(m): 8:39am On Jun 22, 2015
agarawu23:
shocked

I think say na only our 9ja film this thing dey happen o

I beg I no fit do am even if they offer me $1m.

A good lesson why you should marry your wife legally undecided
biafrans r know this
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by bebe2(f): 9:14am On Jun 22, 2015
tete7000:

So in essence it was just practically a punishment disguised as tradition?

Yes. Next time di d right thing. grin
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by blass777(m): 9:41am On Jun 22, 2015
"Interesting".I think is gonna be a lesson to the young, before doing such thing to someone's daughter u need to ask ur mum about her marriage with ur dad..

1 Like

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by lucilicious(f): 10:16am On Jun 22, 2015
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by johnwell(m): 11:31am On Jun 22, 2015
Mark 7:8,13 says;
8: For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do
13: Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 22, 2015
Good tradition that serves as a lesson to men who reason like nothing but sperm banks because they have no respect for marriage. Lesson learnt- before you consider yourself man enough to sleep with a woman and impregnate her, you should be man enough to do the right thing and marry her. Till thy kingdom come, it is an abormination to sleep with someone you are not married to.

1 Like

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by bishop4life(m): 12:08pm On Jun 22, 2015
ceejay80s:

U wey go school, this is the original spelling for "FOOLING" itiboribo

lol... you are one way minded. what you think you know becomes the only reality.
well i din't mean to say fool, i said full. as in fulled with something i don't know.
so save your correction for your future miscomprehension.
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 22, 2015
williams368:
Datz bulshit... Igbo land wit money... Dey dnt value life's wen it cmes 2 money. No wonder dey hv d highest nos of runs babes.

It doesn't happen only in igbo land, it also happens in south-south, as long as u camp another man's daughter in ur house n she dies u go marry d dead body.

1 Like

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by bishop4life(m): 12:45pm On Jun 22, 2015
Votukpa:

This cultural trend is therefore justified.
That being said, has it worked recently?

Go to the east and most homes have at least one baby mama and I'm not talking about the mama of the home.

Unfortunately such traditional measures aimed at curbing certain aspects of human frailty, grossly underestimate the extent to which people will throw caution into the wind to obey their own lust. Especially the so called baby mama's. Moreover, no one could remotely predict the advent of things like the Internet and whatsapp to adjust the tradition to the relities that would ensue in the 21st century.

Even worse, there is one peculiar anomaly to be found among the igbos, as regards marriage and sex:
1. Women are allowed be made pregnant Before marriage by their suitors to ensure shes able to conceive.
2. A man cannot lay claim to his biological children without performing accepted marital rights first.

Has anyone noticed how fem centric this arrangement is Apart from that, it it thoroughly unworkable. Let me explain.

The system is set up to trap men and to benefit women because men are typically concerned about their paternity and so women or feminists use this to their benefit to ensure that huge amounts of resources flow from the man to the woman and to her family, BEFORE and AFTER marriage. I heard that the premium goes up if the man got the lady pregnant first.... But what wait a second...isnt that part of the tradition to start with??

Culturaly, women are more valuable than men in Igbo land but this is staunchly denied by igbos, especially thier women. Whey do they deny this, to conceal their true intentions and those of their kinsmen as well. And since every family with beautiful girls will benefit from this arrangement, everyone keeps quiet about the anomaly and tradition continues. Women are indeed valuable assets in igboland, especially the beautiful ones as they can can inspire lust in a man to impregnate her before marriage thereby securing a huge marriage premium for her and her family. Notice how it's all business when it comes to marriage lists and bride price. The poor man who is is head over heels cannot even see the arrangement. Most igbo men will not see this.

save yourself the long analysis. the final theory is, if you love a girl visit her poeple and know their culture and tradition .if you are comfortable with it fine. if not take a walk.
it hurts when you can't be with a girl you love but dont put yourself in unnecessary presure in the name of love.i am not supporting bride hike. all am saying is respect yourself by respecting the traditions of the people. even Jacob in the bible enslaved himself for fourteen years for the woman He love.
it didnt start with you and wont end with you.
baby mama is jus a new name to promiscuity. even mary magdalene will be so ashamed of that.

2 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by bishop4life(m): 1:08pm On Jun 22, 2015
Votukpa:

Africans and their traditions of double standard.
Was the woman raped?
Did she not consent to leave and have kids with the man without coercion?
Gone are the days when women were considered chattel or property without ability to decide their fate in matters such as this.

Nowadays, women know exactly what they are doing and what they went when they spread open their golden gates which ever man. It behooves men, however, to know that things aren't really different from how they were several years back.

Shaking my head @ marrying a corpse. Africans must come up from this level of degeneracy called "tradition".

sure you want to be like the americans, but you have to travel far west to be like them.
africans have the tradition of keeping extended families so go west if you dont like it
freedom of movement can save you that.
cos i wont call you my inlaw because you are so proud to impregnant my sister,
but because you are man enough to indentify with my poeple.
i wont adise you more until the day you will enter one chance,
then you will come back here on nairaland to open a thread seekin for "HELP".
for christ sake nigeria has vast marriage right. cheap,expencive, tough even some are almost free and fair.
so why must you tag yourself to things that will derail your life?
why must you not do what is right?
marriage is a sacred omen not a childs play. but if you choose to play with it dont cry fowl when
the umpire appears.

1 Like

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by stepaz: 2:22pm On Jun 22, 2015
I still prefer some of the westan ways of life
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by stepaz: 2:23pm On Jun 22, 2015
What a bad tradition
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Votukpa(m): 6:25pm On Jun 22, 2015
bishop4life:

sure you want to be like the americans, but you have to travel far west to be like them.
africans have the tradition of keeping extended families so go west if you dont like it
freedom of movement can save you that.
cos i wont call you my inlaw because you are so proud to impregnant my sister,
but because you are man enough to indentify with my poeple.
i wont adise you more until the day you will enter one chance,
then you will come back here on nairaland to open a thread seekin for "HELP".
for christ sake nigeria has vast marriage right. cheap,expencive, tough even some are almost free and fair.
so why must you tag yourself to things that will derail your life?
why must you not do what is right?
marriage is a sacred omen not a childs play. but if you choose to play with it dont cry fowl when
the umpire appears.

You misunderstand me son.
Have a read at my post once again.

I don't have a problem with Africans nor tradition in what it is in itself. Africans are God's children and their traditions define them just like the traditions of Chinese people define them. This is a good thing.

That being said..

We humans have been put on this natural earth with human natures, I believe, to rise above nature itself. Tradition and the ways of African people defined who they were (and still do) so that they would be marked out as different from other nations and more importantly, to have a societal threshold to rise up from. That it took months to travel by ship from country to country in the past, doesn't mean it should take as long forever on; that we used to live in huts and walk around naked doesn't suggest we continue to do so. In the same vein, that we married corpses for whatever reason (even if it ultimately promotes a good value) doesn't mean we should keep doing so. As you already know, there are better and (thank God) less deplorable ways to direct the ways of men. Today, we have things like laws and law enforcement agencies such as courts, expressly established to regulate the excesses of men. If only Nigerians and Africans would drop their old ways and certain crude aspects of their tradition to approach societal problems with a little more reason and judgement, we would indeed rise above our traditions and hence, human nature.

Marrying a corpse is subhuman.
Even animals do not correct their ways in such a manner.

Marrying a corpse is, therefore, subanimal as well.

There's a lot of beauty in African tradition but there's nothing beautiful about this aspect of our tradition and this is is my point.

Let's all see that we should rise above certain aspects of our traditions such as the one talked about on this thread.

Thanks.
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by babajero(m): 9:37pm On Jun 22, 2015
Bonapart:
so he has to marry the dead.... na wa o
point of correction he just paid bride price to allow him take his kids and the dead was buried.
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Bonapart(m): 9:52pm On Jun 22, 2015
babajero:
point of correction he just paid bride price to allow him take his kids and the dead was buried.
aiit
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by scholarosisi(f): 2:11pm On Jun 24, 2015
ceejay80s:

i'm igbo too and its rubbish, once i hv taken her to registry and obtained my certificate, traditional marriage should go to hell, i will get a lawyer to claim my kids
u think those at the registry are dumb. What happens to brides parents consent. Storry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is She A Prostitute Or A Caring Mom? / Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? / Finally, I Have Decided To Leave Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.