Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts (20828 Views)

Buhari Meets APC Governors In London (Photo) / APC Governors Resolve To Seek Ekweremadu’s Removal As They Meet With Buhari / Bailouts Reveal Precarious Finances Of Nigerian States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Ikengawo: 3:12am On Jun 22, 2015
We the governors of the progressive party met today to review the state of the economy…it has become so serious and urgent actions must be taken for a bail out for our states. We have some challenges because of the drop in oil price and issues of oil theft….
– Governor Okorocha Rochas, June 16, Abuja, at a meeting of governors of All Progressive Congress.

[img]http://cdn1.vanguardngr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/412x250xAPC-Aregbe.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4UHZ_p3fOv.webp[/img]
“A precedent embalms a principle”, William Scott, 1745-1836.
(VANGUARD BOOK OF QUOTATIONS p 198).
INTODUCTION
The request by seven All Progressive Congress, APC, Governors, namely, Okorochas (Imo), Ambode (Lagos), Al-Makura (Nassarawa), Aregbesola (Osun), Masari (Katsina), Ganduje (Kano) and Ajimobi (Oyo) raise several questions before consideration of the content of the request itself, as well as the reasons adduced for it.
First, the seven governors don’t even form a majority of the APC governors in Nigeria. They certainly amount to just twenty per cent of the thirty-six governors in Nigeria. So, the issue of locus arises. Are they speaking for themselves, all the governors of APC or all the governors of Nigeria? A corollary question is: were they mandated by those absent to make the request on behalf of those absent? If not, do they expect the President of Nigeria to seriously consider their strange, to say the least, request?
Second, even the seven in attendance can be grouped into two – those on their first term (Ambode, Masari, Ganduje) and those on second term (Rochas, Aregbesoal, Ajimobi). The first-timers can convincingly argue that they were not in office four years ago when crude oil was selling for $118 per barrel, when the budget benchmark was $78 per barrel; and so they could not have saved for the rainy day. The second-timers can offer no such excuse. When a budget benchmark is set at $78 per barrel, all recipients of funds from that source are expected to save for the day when the price would go below $78. Failure to do so cannot be blamed on the Federal Government. The blame belongs to those who spent every kobo in the last four years.
Third, the monthly revenue allocation exercise, expected to be attended by all Commissioners of Finance, also assumed that the Commissioners would not leave their brains behind when coming. The slide in revenue allocated started from 2013. All the Finance Commissioners, if they were not incompetent, should have drawn the attention of their principals, the state governors, to the continuous slide, after three months. They should also have conducted medium and long term studies to determine the drift of revenue to be expected from Abuja. That is what planning is about. That leads to two questions: which state government received such a study from the highly-paid commissioners of finance and immediately drew up an action plan to deal with what had turned out to be continuous decline in federally-allocated revenue? Again, why blame the Federal Government for their poor governance?
Third, different states got into the problem in which they find themselves and the arrears of salaries owed to public servants range from three to nine months. Are the governors asking the Federal Government to pay all the arrears of all the states or part of it? Also, is the bail-out supposed to be in the form of grant (gift) or loan? If grant, should it be based on the equality of states (i.e the same amount for every state) or on other criteria? If other basis will determine the amount advanced, have they worked out and agreed on these modalities? Otherwise, the meeting at Abuja was a mere jamboree.
Fourth, not once since 1960 had the Federal Government been asked to bail out each of the federating units. And, there is no provision in the constitution for such a bail out. Obviously, this strange request, if granted at all, would establish a precedent which might be applied again in the future – if states recklessly misapply their funds. The question is: is this what we want; especially, when the governors are not also prepared to open their states for probe to determine if funds which could have been used to pay workers have not been mis-appropriated. We will return to this matter later.
Fifth, the presence of the Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, in the midst of “beggar” governors, must be embarrassing – not only to Lagosians, but to the entire country. Next to the Federal Government, Lagos State is the most viable state. In fact, the state might as well have its own mint to print all the money it needs for its operations – as long as the income is well managed. Was Ambode in attendance to share “solidarity” with his colleagues to avoid being regarded as snobbish or was the mistake inadvertent? Just as Abuja represents our status as a nation, Lagos is the financial and economic capital of the country. The entire world is interested in Lagos. The governor of Lagos state cannot, deliberately or inadvertently create the impression that the state cannot manage its affairs as to default on salaries.
Finally, there is overwhelming evidence that states are in their various predicaments because fours groups of officials failed to perform their constitutional functions as required. These are, in order of culpability: the governor, the State House of Assembly, the Finance Commissioner and the Auditor-General. Recklessness in government, which is pervasive, insufficient oversight functions, collusion in mismanagement of resources and poor quality of individuals holding these offices account for the bulk of the problem. Generally, the Commissioner for Finance in most states is no more than the Governor’s Bag Man – he holds the state’s funds in a bag into which the governor dips his hands at will; no questions asked.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/states-request-for-bail-out-and-its-consequences/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by gudluckgreat(m): 3:12am On Jun 22, 2015
Too long. Didn't read cheesy grin
Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Ikengawo: 3:17am On Jun 22, 2015
meanwhile people are even owing Anambra money. I think that if you ask for a bailout the justified thing would be to resign first. A state like Anambra has low allocation and unbelievably high population so they're serving more people with less money.

[img]http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/students/images/population_density.jpg[/img]

A state that's second to Lagos in population density, and survived a bombardment in a civil war is lending money to Lagos, Osun, Kano and the rest. Lagos gets the allocation of a SS state and what's the end result? Debt. People want to ally with APC and or PDP even if it kills them because at this point looking at either objectively will make you look like you've given up or that you've been defeated and people's egos can't handle it but Jesus Christ when will this end? Nigerians are now so obsessed with politicians that they can't call a spade a spade anymore for the sake of defending a thief online that doesn't know your name.

I pray that Imo will be free from the grips of Okorocha but it's looking hopeless. We're going to lose another 4 years to using our money as a personal marketing budget. Saddening! I blame PDP in Imo for being a den of foolish and primitive thieves that don't know the game of politics. Look at us standing among yoruba and hausa states begging for money!!! chie!

62 Likes 9 Shares

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Ikengawo: 3:26am On Jun 22, 2015
if you can't manager your budget, how can you manage a bailout? the osun state governor has announced that banks are refusing to lend him anything now!! WOW.

A bank knows you get billions of Naira every MONTH from the fed, but won't lend you money because they know you can't pay them back due to incompetence.

But for the sake of saying I'm APC and I'm yoruba peope will defend this ape without consequence

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by pazienza(m): 3:27am On Jun 22, 2015
Look at us standing among yoruba and hausa states begging for money!!! chie!
This line got me laughing so hard eh!

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Ikengawo: 3:31am On Jun 22, 2015
hairdryingcap:
This is what you get when everyone is waiting for big cake from Abuja.... The governors fails to work on how to less dependent on the federal government.... Nigeria still have a long way to go... #oilmustgo...# backtoagriculture..

Hair drying Cap for sale @ N2700
Call: 08061197484
Whatapps: 07034952229
BBM: 52D60F31

It has nothing to do with Abuja! We can't say this is normal behavior from Nigerians governors. The bottom line is Osun for example started O Meals, which is giving kids a horrible god forsaken piece of Garri and soup EVERY SINGLE DAY for 365 years. Great program right? Fine, but they didn't think 'will this cost money' and 'how will i raise the funds'. Didn't they think to increase taxes or cut spending elsewhere? No. They borrowed.

Okorocha made 'education free' in Imo. Did he increase tax anywhere, or think of a way to raise the money? No. He just borrowed

Fashola has used all the increased tax to pay Tinubu.

all of these governors did these things not to advance their states but to promote their own person. These are all polices intended to deceive the poor that are no different from throwing rice on the floor and people praising you because they can pick it up and cook with it. No plan, nothing is being 'built', people aren't being taught how to sustain themselves, employment isn't created lives aren't advanced.

But look at Anambra with less allocation than all of them. They privatized education. They're #1 in education now and don't have to include education in their budget at all. They privatized health care. They're #1 in healthcare and don't have to include that in their budget at all. What's left is continuing to build their roads and aid their factories while lending money to these populist alcoholics that use state budgets like personal promotion funds with their babalawo economics.

76 Likes 11 Shares

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Ikengawo: 3:35am On Jun 22, 2015
pazienza:
Look at us standing among
yoruba and hausa states begging for
money!!! chie!

This line got me laughing so hard eh!

is it a lie? what other igbo man do you see there. Did you know that Enugu makes it's citizens build their own projects and either aids them in building it or pays them after they themselves complete it. The cost of governance is the lowest in Nigeria and the IGR is now the 4th highest After Lagos, Ibom, Delta and Rivers.

This is with

1. No oil
2. Allocation as low as Osun
3. Federal neglect
4. Less industry that the top 4 states
5. (allegedly) less population
6. Low taxes

with low taxes Enugu raises the same money as Lagos that is killing people with tax. People will defend Lagos because they want to form 'I'm APC' and 'I'm Yoruba'. Meanwhile APC yoruba people are being robbed by Lastma and there are dead bodies lying untouched and untreated on various Lagos streets.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Ikengawo: 3:39am On Jun 22, 2015
Lagosians are being taxed to death and this is their streets I kid you not. These are from a trip i took this week!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2539495_11536070101534029375991144254745047279238652n1_jpg904d6bcb9290d642e644c693f99fce70
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2539504_11535817101534029359141149092722280260162557n_jpg81f8a9c9523fe01700d0045dbadb6c3b
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2539510_10641016101534029353391143606536068180508172n_jpege8abc961832792888aa249cb44a8e995

People will be shouting APC APC APC Yoruba Yoruba Yoruba while sloshing through this just to look for a job to feed their hopeless children. I'm an Igbo man and I hate what Rochas Okorocha is reducing Imo to. Under Sam Mbakwe, Imo build it's own airport with 0 federal assistance or money and local engineers and architects. Today we stand toe to toe with Osun and Zamafara to beg for money from a cattle rearer with no education!

70 Likes 10 Shares

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by pazienza(m): 3:45am On Jun 22, 2015
Too bad. Imo people have to wait for another 4years.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by tandj: 4:05am On Jun 22, 2015
I have to comment on this.

Nigerians are very gullible. A hard fact.
Herd mentality and useless party affiliation will always be their undoing.

I have watched with awe what okorocha has reduced imo state to.
If I may ask?
What does he do for a living?

All the states in nigeria have enough allocations to move forward but as usual our politicians dribble us and we spend days on internet worshiping them.

Yet to see the positive effect of fashola govt.
Yet he is the highest praised ex gov here.

Now we have started praising wike,elrufai, fayose etc. Can't we see behind the mask?

Berem,abagworo,come and defend ur governor.
So shameful.
Imo state,a wonderful state reduced to nothing and made caricature of.

Igbos r known huzzlers and I'm so shocked okorocha isn't one.
Simple,look for what u have to feed urself with or if u don't have,manufacture one.

After acquiring all,they will show us via the internet their loot by posting their exotic cars and houses like the melanye guy and we will hail them.

No wonder oyibos will continue to rule us cos we don't have what it takes to move forward.

Bis as usual for those thieves.

Kudos to anambra govt.

Watch out that state in the next ten yrs.
The governor has that anambra spirit.
Self reliance.
If tomorrow,fed allawee stops,they will still map out ways to survive.
Others should tell their govs to emulate obiano.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by saintneo(m): 4:36am On Jun 22, 2015
That street in Lagos is terrible!

Reasons not to get a job! a new topic on Dreaming Nigeria Blog

7 Likes

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by sultan457: 4:45am On Jun 22, 2015
I pray God help them oo.

1 Like

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Freelancer00(m): 4:57am On Jun 22, 2015
When u wait for government to spoon feed you, you have a problem. The OP said Fashola used Lagos taxes to pay Tinnubu, are u a comedian?. The street in the picture, when the people leaving on that street lack basic environmental sanitation techniques, that's what they get. Or u want to tell me its the government that put all those ddirts in the drainages. Or u think if govt clears it for. them, it won't happen again? I'm not saying asking for bail out is right but don't jusst come here and talk nonsense cos u hate Yoruba and Hausa and APC

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by bewla(m): 5:08am On Jun 22, 2015
Ikengawo:
Lagosians are being taxed to death and this is their streets I kid you not. These are from a trip i took this week!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2539495_11536070101534029375991144254745047279238652n1_jpg904d6bcb9290d642e644c693f99fce70
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2539504_11535817101534029359141149092722280260162557n_jpg81f8a9c9523fe01700d0045dbadb6c3b
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2539510_10641016101534029353391143606536068180508172n_jpege8abc961832792888aa249cb44a8e995

People will be shouting APC APC APC Yoruba Yoruba Yoruba while sloshing through this just to look for a job to feed their hopeless children. I'm an Igbo man and I hate what Rochas Okorocha is reducing Imo to. Under Sam Mbakwe, Imo build it's own airport with 0 federal assistance or money and local engineers and architects. Today we stand toe to toe with Osun and Zamafara to beg for money from a cattle rearer with no education!
To bad any thing wwe turn around and blame the government how do contribute your quarter

1 Like

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Nobody: 5:28am On Jun 22, 2015
Freelancer00:
When u wait for government to spoon feed you, you have a problem. The OP said Fashola used Lagos taxes to pay Tinnubu, are u a comedian?. The street in the picture, when the people leaving on that street lack basic environmental sanitation techniques, that's what they get. Or u want to tell me its the government that put all those ddirts in the drainages. Or u think if govt clears it for. them, it won't happen again? I'm not saying asking for bail out is right but don't jusst come here and talk nonsense cos u hate Yoruba and Hausa and APC
Are you kidding me? Seriously you are blaming the people? It boils down to what a poster above said, we will support them just becomes of party affiliation etc. The truth is this Lagos residents pay more tax than any other states. It is the duty of the goverment to ensure that the state has an efficient waste disposal system. When I say efficient I am not refering to the quak system in Lagos. It is high time we start holding our goverment responsible

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Freelancer00(m): 5:31am On Jun 22, 2015
woodcook:
Are you kidding me? Seriously you are blaming the people? It boils down to what a poster above said, we will support them just becomes of party affiliation etc. The truth is this Lagos residents pay more tax than any other states. It is the duty of the goverment to ensure that the state has an efficient waste disposal system. When I say efficient I am not refering to the quak system in Lagos. It is high time we start holding our goverment responsible
So they can't buy dustbins?. Lagos state has waste trucks that go to almost every street every week to collect waste, isn't that enough. Look at the amount oh dirts on that road, its abnormal. If those residents aren't dirty, no one is.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by laurel03(m): 5:54am On Jun 22, 2015
our leaders are bad and wicked... Those stupid governors are collecting their own salaries, security votes and diff allowances but refuse to pay civil servants.....God will judge all of u... D only diff between PDP and APC is Buhari and D logo...

4 Likes

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by gregg2: 6:24am On Jun 22, 2015
Very shameful

1 Like

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Firefire(m): 6:44am On Jun 22, 2015
Okorocha is a failure.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 22, 2015
laurel03:
God save our land.... All our leaders are bad..... D only diff between PDP and APC is Buhari and D logo (broom)..

Keep waiting endlessly for God. Don't do anything about your situation. Keep waiting. He's a Nigerian!

Till we ALL hold our thieves accountable, God shall continue to look upon as fools. That's the bitter truth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Bayswater: 7:28am On Jun 22, 2015
Please, can we not turn this thing into a Igbo vs Yoruba thing?

My people will never agree with you especially when you are trying to make a genuine point from a tribal angle.

Make your points without no tribal inclination and you will see some of them come around in the long run.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by fulanimafia: 7:34am On Jun 22, 2015
Ikengawo do you understand that population density DOES NOT necessarily mean a high population?

A small generator room with 10 people has a higher population density than the Etihad Stadium with 1,000 people. The only reason the population density of Anambra is high on that map is because it's a town with a small piece of land hosting too many people, hence the density. Figures from NPC put Anambra state at 4.1 million while a state like Kano has over 9 million residents.

I will not respond further as the intention of your thread is laid bare starting from the deceptive foundation and your chest beating tantrums, instead of investigating why such states that clearly receive higher allocations are in this situation, considering of course they have a substantially higher financial burden being bigger states than Anambra in all ramifications.

Take Bayswater's advice.

4 Likes

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by TheFreeOne: 8:09am On Jun 22, 2015
NO BAILOUT would have been the appropriate response to the governors concerned but for the suffering civil servants/pensioners.

However should nigerians decided to support the bailout then those governors should tell us their programme/modalities of how they intend paying back lest they turn aroung again to blame dwindling oil revenues whilst they live large and embezzle as usual.

They should also guarantee the monies will be for salaries/pensions and not be channelled into debt servicing cos its common knowledge most state governments have ISPO with several banks/contractors.

Likewise these governors need to tell us what they have been doing with Local govt allocations since governance at the local level seems non existent and some of them have not to deem it fit to organise lg elections too but have been pocketing allocations meant for this 3rd tier of goverment for years.

Fellow nigerians let us be discerning and ask questions from our politicians lest we continue to elect and entrust our lives and those of our children into the hands of refrigerator technicians, fraudsters, druglords, failed businessmen/women and self-style professional politicians with zero management skills.

Nigeria shall be great but we all have a part to play in ensuring her success.

3 Likes

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Nobody: 8:17am On Jun 22, 2015
Freelancer00:
So they can't buy dustbins?. Lagos state has waste trucks that go to almost every street every week to collect waste, isn't that enough. Look at the amount oh dirts on that road, its abnormal. If those residents aren't dirty, no one is.

The city where I live it is difficult to come across a street without a waste bin. Five days a week Monday through Friday city council cleaner go around the city picking up dirty they use the long metal grab to pick up any trashes on the sidewalks, roads and from crevices. While once a week waste disposal trucks comes around to pick up garbage from peoples home. Once a week a different disposal team comes to pick up cartoons and paper waste. Once a week different waste disposal company comes to carry away recyclable waste from homes.

Which means waste disposal trucks comes to every street three times a week: one for biodegradable, recycled plastics and paper-based waste. In addition to that the city council still go around picking litters off the street. That does not mean that people do not have bins at home.

Bros my point is it is the job of the government to ensure that waste are properly disposed. It is quite unfortunate that over the years our government have found ways to pass the buck of the blame to we citizens and due to sheer ignorance and blind allegiance we accepted it was our fault. It saddens me when I hear our government telling our youths that they should create jobs for themselves and stop waiting on government, my question to them is what is the point of having a government and paying taxes when by the end of the day the citizens are expected to manage their waste disposal, clean their streets, provide employment themselves, provide their own security and power as well.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by BekeeBuAgbara: 8:36am On Jun 22, 2015
Please God in four years time raise for us another Sam Onunaka
Mbakwe.
Chai, so Okorocha and Apc have turned my state to Babi ya Allah state, its painful angry

19 Likes

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by bornmekus: 8:54am On Jun 22, 2015
Buhari will not do magic to bail them out.They should go back to their states and probe the former Governors.
Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 22, 2015
No oo, baba is jetting from one country to the other and talking about nuclear plants.

2 Likes

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by kay29000(m): 8:54am On Jun 22, 2015
Hmm! There should not be any partiality between parties. The problem should be solved across nation, not only in apc zones. I hope Buhari has d wisdom to handle this situation in a diplomatic way. Anyway,if you have problem lastinglong in bed, hit me up on BBM- 7C22F6EC.

1 Like

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by kazmanbanjoko(m): 8:54am On Jun 22, 2015
It wasn't sai baba that put you on dat mess, so bail yourself out. President Buhari is on a strict level. No time to look uche face.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Mentcee(m): 8:54am On Jun 22, 2015
Bad men. As soon as they receive the bail out cash, the South West ones will dash to render account of it to the thief referred to in my signature. That is the squint eyed odour mouth drug pusher. No 1 to rush is the fanatic refrigerator repairer at Oshogbo. Idiots.

9 Likes

Re: APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 22, 2015
Aregebese shld be d chairman

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adamawa Rerun: INEC Gives Update On Supplementary Governorship Election / We Must Ask God For Forgiveness - Amaechi To Rivers State People / Wike: If Zoning Presidency To North Will Make PDP Win In 2023, I Support It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.