Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? (19006 Views)

You'll Never Forget To Use Your Seatbelt Even In The Back Seat After Seeing This / Cloth Vs Leather Car Seat: Which Do You Prefer? / Which Exterior Colour Will Suit A Brown Leather Seat Interior Colour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by billionsam(m): 7:39am On Jun 22, 2015
I want to buy a 2005 Toyota Sienna, my friend keep telling not to buy one with leather seat, no reasonable explanation for that.

Pls any differences between the two?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Kingsasian(m): 7:41am On Jun 22, 2015
Cloth

6 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by eleko1: 7:46am On Jun 22, 2015
Yes!Your friend is rite.buy the cloth one.Abeg,nor go buy akpuruku type.I mean that one wey go make u sweat with one weekly wahala.Bless U

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by ogawisdom(m): 7:49am On Jun 22, 2015
Fabric lasts longer n does nt absorb heat lik leather

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by abatically(m): 9:11am On Jun 22, 2015
Nothing beats a REAL LEATHER. Of course the leather used in Siena, Camry, accords and most non luxury nap mobiles are not real leathers. Even at that they are still better if taken care of. But when u see the quality of leather used in Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW, Volvo, acura , Lexus and Infiniti, u won't need anyone to tell u before u fall in love.

67 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 22, 2015
I prefer leather
more classy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by nurey(m): 9:47am On Jun 22, 2015
if the sienna came with factory leather seats, it means it has more gadgets and better luxury than cloth. the leather may be limited edition with AWD, have automatic sliding doors, climate control, Navigation screen and enough efizzy to daze the owner but cloth may have some gadgets too but not on par with the leather e.g the LE may be cloth while the XLE may be leather.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by edward1984(m): 10:49am On Jun 22, 2015
Since you will be using the car in Naija,,, preferable material to leather, Leather need maintenance and with the heat it becomes ugly in no time,, so buy the cloth

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Smartkids: 10:54am On Jun 22, 2015
real leather is better than cloth. cloth looks dull.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by edward1984(m): 10:59am On Jun 22, 2015
Smartkids:
real leather is better than cloth. cloth looks dull.

Of cox ,, but maintenance ? especially in a country with the heat and dust from bad roads

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by bravolad(m): 11:13am On Jun 22, 2015
Most of these comments are based on assumption. I use the XLE Limited of the same model Sienna. It came standard with leather interior. It is still very neat, no tears, marks or stains. Heat absorption; yes but you feel comfortable as soon as you get in or use your air conditioner. More so the tinted glasses also reduces the effect of sun on it.

Stains don't stick to it. But those who are careless about its usage often condemn leather seats. A friend bought an ML350 sometime in the past with a terribly looking interior leather seats - would you blame the manufacturer for that? The answer is no because the owner abused it.

The choice to buy a leather seat has to do with personal taste and preference. Any car that comes with a leather seat is more expensive than its fabric variant.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by abatically(m): 2:56pm On Jun 22, 2015
edward1984:

Of cox ,, but maintenance ? especially in a country with the heat and dust from bad roads

What heat and dust are u talking about? Last time i checked fabric can take dust and get dirty, would take a lot of work to make it clean. Leather on the other hand don't absorb dust like cloth, just a little dusting and it would be shining again. Against dust, leather is a very big advantage over cloth , or why do u think cars with leather cost more?

8 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by edward1984(m): 3:02pm On Jun 22, 2015
abatically:

What heat and dust are u talking about? Last time i checked fabric can take dust and get dirty, would take a lot of work to make it clean. Leather on the other hand don't absorb dust like cloth, just a little dusting and it would be shining again. Against dust, leather is a very big advantage over cloth , or why do u think cars with leather cost more?

Cars that cost more are easy to maintain ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by abatically(m): 3:08pm On Jun 22, 2015
edward1984:

Cars that cost more are easy to maintain ?

I never said that. Because a car is easier to maintain doesn't make it better. If so then we should all be driving a bicycle since it is easier to maintain than any car. What I said is genuine leather is better than any fabric. They are more comfortable and not a dust magnet like fabric.

11 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by edward1984(m): 3:16pm On Jun 22, 2015
abatically:

I never said that. Because a car is easier to maintain doesn't make it better. If so then we should all be driving a bicycle since it is easier to maintain than any car. What I said is genuine leather is better than any fabric. They are more comfortable and not a dust magnet like fabric.

Did you really read my comment above ? I never said fabric is better than leather ,,, I said fabric is easy to maintain.. that was all my point ? how often will you clean your leather seats if it gets dusty all the time? how long will you keep up in keeping it clean and shinny,, how long will you look for a shade to park you car so the direct sun won't heat up your leather seats.. My point was that fabric is easier to maintain especially in a country with heat and dust ... please take time and read my comments above and try to understand my point of view

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by abatically(m): 6:27pm On Jun 22, 2015
edward1984:

Did you really read my comment above ? I never said fabric is better than leather ,,, I said fabric is easy to maintain.. that was all my point ? how often will you clean your leather seats if it gets dusty all the time? how long will you keep up in keeping it clean and shinny,, how long will you look for a shade to park you car so the direct sun won't heat up your leather seats.. My point was that fabric is easier to maintain especially in a country with heat and dust ... please take time and read my comments above and try to understand my point of view

Bro, fabric is not better, neither is it easier to maintain than genuine leather.

13 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 22, 2015
Leather vs fabric. Which is better? This is a matter of personal preference.

I will choose leather over fabric, every time. All my cars have leather interiors, even my old Toyota Hilux that came with fabric seats, I tore them out, and threw in a pair of leather sport seats from a 2004 Toyota Celica T Sport. I can't remember when last I owned a fabric-upholstered car.

I would ONLY buy a car with fabric seats, if it was insanely cheap. And I would buy it with a view to swap in leather ASAP.

Leather is definitely easier to maintain, compared to fabric. Have you seen a fabric seat, after a child threw up on it? Or smelt the interior of a fabric-upholstered car, after a milkshake, or even plain milk was spilt on one of the fabric seats? The stench, as the milk is absorbed is bad enough to total a car, the only solution is to junk the offending seat, and replace. Leather? Dirt and spills simply wipe off.

The average Nigeria by nature is lazy, going by their maintenance culture when it comes to an automobile. They see nurturing leather as hard work, citing the Nigerian hot weather as an excuse to avoid leather. Like Texas, lots of the southern states in North America, Dubai, Australia etc don't have hotter climate than Nigeria? How many high-spec cars used in these areas have fabric seats?

Lol. If you like fabric, that's fine. But citing the above sorry excuses as reasons to avoid leather? Nah!

51 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Stancity(m): 7:27pm On Jun 22, 2015
For me, i prefer Leather to Fabric because when you talk about absorbtion, fabric will absorb dirt, dust, name it' faster than a leather seat.. The first car i used was leather and it was easy to clean and wen in contact with liquid, it doesnt go straight to the foam when compared to cloth.. But then sun is ur greatest enemy wen u are using a leather than cloth..

Currently using a cloth type and it takes me time to brush the seat and tough stains wont clean out if you like use iron sponge.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by edward1984(m): 8:19pm On Jun 22, 2015
abatically:

Bro, fabric is not better, neither is it easier to maintain than genuine leather.

OK
Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by edward1984(m): 8:22pm On Jun 22, 2015
abatically:

But still you deny to understand me,, I never said fabric is better ,, can you please quote where is said that ?
Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by skyfall: 8:35pm On Jun 22, 2015
Leather is better as long as it's not black because of heat. Fabric is cool but difficult to clean after liquid spills. May only be suitable for a bachelor.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by abatically(m): 8:48pm On Jun 22, 2015
edward1984:

But still you deny to understand me,, I never said fabric is better ,, can you please quote where is said that ?

I clearly understood u. I said leather is better based on the topic. But ur comment about leather being hard to maintain in a country as 'hot' as Nigeria is what I don't agree with. It is actually the other way round. If u spill liquid on fabric it will smell. Just let oil spill on ur fabric and the stain will forever remain there. On leather just wipe and its as good as new. So which one is easier to maintain?

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by edward1984(m): 9:12pm On Jun 22, 2015
abatically:

I clearly understood u. I said leather is better based on the topic. But ur comment about leather being hard to maintain in a country as 'hot' as Nigeria is what I don't agree with. It is actually the other way round. If u spill liquid on fabric it will smell. Just let oil spill on ur fabric and the stain will forever remain there. On leather just wipe and its as good as new. So which one is easier to maintain?

ok Mr Abatically, you made your point clear, I can feel your voice in my head wink wink wink wink wink we are all here to share our opinion, now you explain with details and I read other comments, I can't bet the differ.. point made cleared... wink wink wink wink wink wink Have a pleasant night

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by lonelydora: 12:14am On Jun 23, 2015
I keep wondering why people say fabric is better. My car leather has remained the same close to 5 years now since I bought the car.

I can never buy any fabric car again, no matter the price. Nothing beats leather car.

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Nobody: 12:59am On Jun 23, 2015
nurey:
if the sienna came with factory leather seats, it means it has more gadgets and better luxury than cloth. the leather may be limited edition with AWD, have automatic sliding doors, climate control, Navigation screen and enough efizzy to daze the owner but cloth may have some gadgets too but not on par with the leather e.g the LE may be cloth while the XLE may be leather.
On issue of upholstery material choice vs trim level, toyota could be confusing. Some Camry are badged xle, gli, yet they are fabrics, while some are badged le, yet faux leather.
Do you know my Highlander 2.4 4wd is badged limited and even proven via VIN check?

@ abatically, even most luxury cars cut corners in use of genuine leather... Benz mostly uses MB-TEX which is vinyl that's simulated to look and feel like leather, Lexus uses only leather on their seating surfaces while the rests are vinyl. Only their flagship products uses genuine leather

Its only hyper luxury vehicles such as rolls royce, maybach, bentleys that uses swathes of blemish-free genuine leather as much as possible.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Lexusgs430: 1:22am On Jun 23, 2015
lomomike:

On issue of upholstery material choice vs trim level, toyota could be confusing. Some Camry are badged xle, gli, yet they are fabrics, while some are badged le, yet faux leather.
Do you know my Highlander 2.4 4wd is badged limited and even proven via VIN check?

@ abatically, even most luxury cars cut corners in use of genuine leather... Benz mostly uses MB-TEX which is vinyl that's simulated to look and feel like leather, Lexus uses only leather on their seating surfaces while the rests are vinyl. Only their flagship products uses genuine leather

Its only hyper luxury vehicles such as rolls royce, maybach, bentleys that uses swathes of blemish-free genuine leather as much as possible.

Not forgetting the red leather in my ferrari 458!!!!

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Nobody: 1:25am On Jun 23, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Not forgetting the red leather in my ferrari 458!!!!
What about your Lexus GS430, show us some pictures of that GS mehn
Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by jumak54(m): 11:07pm On May 16, 2016
Siena:
Leather vs fabric. Which is better? This is a matter of personal preference.
I have a neatly used suv staurn jeep 2004 model but have converted the original engine to Toyota camry engine and gear working perfecgly. But wnt to swap with any good nisan ultima or eod prefarably manual
I will choose leather over fabric, every time. All my cars have leather interiors, even my old Toyota Hilux that came with fabric seats, I tore them out, and threw in a pair of leather sport seats from a 2004 Toyota Celica T Sport. I can't remember when last I owned a fabric-upholstered car.

I would ONLY buy a car with fabric seats, if it was insanely cheap. And I would buy it with a view to swap in leather ASAP.

Leather is definitely easier to maintain, compared to fabric. Have you seen a fabric seat, after a child threw up on it? Or smelt the interior of a fabric-upholstered car, after a milkshake, or even plain milk was spilt on one of the fabric seats? The stench, as the milk is absorbed is bad enough to total a car, the only solution is to junk the offending seat, and replace. Leather? Dirt and spills simply wipe off.

The average Nigeria by nature is lazy, going by their maintenance culture when it comes to an automobile. They see nurturing leather as hard work, citing the Nigerian hot weather as an excuse to avoid leather. Like Texas, lots of the southern states in North America, Dubai, Australia etc don't have hotter climate than Nigeria? How many high-spec cars used in these areas have fabric seats?

Lol. If you like fabric, that's fine. But citing the above sorry excuses as reasons to avoid leather? Nah!
Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by Lexusgs430: 12:55am On May 17, 2016
Half leather & Half cloth

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by brunofarad(m): 6:40am On May 17, 2016
Leather is a NO
Re: Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? by nacozee: 6:45am On May 17, 2016
abatically:
Nothing beats a REAL LEATHER. Of course the leather used in Siena, Camry, accords and most non luxury nap mobiles are not real leathers. Even at that they are still better if taken care of. But when u see the quality of leather used in Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW, Volvo, acura , Lexus and Infiniti, u won't need anyone to tell u before u fall in love.
Please what about the venza leather? hw does it fair?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nissan Creates Self-Parking Slippers,Tables & Cushions Based On ProPilot Tech / The Case About My Stolen Car Which I Found. / 5 Kinds Of Nigerian Drivers To Keep-0ff!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.