Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,694 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For (17485 Views)

Help: The Website That I Just Finished Developing Is Gone / Come And See The Website A Nairalander Created / Please How Much Can I Charge To Build A Church Database? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by ojosegun2011(m): 1:07pm On Jun 23, 2015
You've been scammed. Just forget it as you can't arrest or detain the air.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by damiloladuke: 1:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
lobatan

READ THE PRIVATE PERSONAL DIARY OF A JOBLESS NIGERIAN YOUTH

CLICK HERE www.wenogetjob.com
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 1:11pm On Jun 23, 2015
DualCore1:

One can only play "god" with ignorant people. There are just a few ignorant people out there now so the "web developers" are trying hard to squeeze as much as they can get from them before their ignorance wears off.

What integrity is there to your name? You deliver a job in 7 months when the ETA was 2 months ...and you still haven't delivered all the requested features. Let me take a wild guess, you're waiting for a real web developer to develop the plugin(s) and put online as opensource with that shiny "download" button.

What passion do you have? You choke your clients with ridiculous terms that show you're just out to milk them. You've done nothing strange. Nigerians have been preying on the ignorance of their fellow brothers and sisters since 1960.

DualCore1 why offending and why the aggressive tone? don't get emotional on this.
i've explained with facts my own side of the story. I've nothing to hide and can supply tons of Skype chats and e-mail correspondence to further defend my case. Kindly go through the contract link embedded in my response to the OP.
I respond in a positive light, even when it's a bad situation.

Get it right, i'm not the type of dev u're referring to here.

Thanks for your time.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by BuddhaPalm(m): 1:13pm On Jun 23, 2015
subset:
Good day all.

I paid a developer to build and host a website for my company. The website was hosted with the developers name, which was the initial agreement, after which, he will transfer the account to my name.

Right now he is the only person that has full access to the hosting and has refused to give me full access to the account. His reasons, he said, were because of the database and codes he used in building the website.
This, I don't have any interest in 'cos I'm not a developer. Even If I'm one, I have made the complete payment for the website.

The access I have to the account only enables me to pay the hosting fee from my end.

This is a summary of everything that happened before we got to this point.

I brought this to Nairaland because, I contacted the developer here and he is a Nairalander. I haven't seen him before though. He is a Nigerian but doesn't reside in Nigeria.

Pls advice.

Since you have access to the hosting account. Email the host and tell them you want to change your cPanel login details.

Change the hosting primary email to yours first.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by yinchar(m): 1:18pm On Jun 23, 2015
DualCore1:

One can only play "god" with ignorant people. There are just a few ignorant people out there now so the "web developers" are trying hard to squeeze as much as they can get from them before their ignorance wears off.

Subset, my advice to you. Don't try to push this case any further, you don't have winning case. Agreeing to the terms of this individual was the first mistake you made. Take it as a lesson and move on. Get a professional web developer to handle your project and be sure to agree with your developer that you're getting all source codes as deliverables at the end of the project. Secondly, NEVER give the hosting of your website to the developer to handle. The web developer is not a web host. His job should stop at developing your application and placing it on your hosting account. You do not need any NASA training to manage the hosting of your websites, you just need Google. It is only a developer who wants to make you a steady and constant source of revenue that will insist on hosting your project and you should run away from such individuals. Your web developer has nothing whatsoever to do with your domain name or its hosting, all he has to do is give you the basic requirements your hosting environment needs to have to be able to run his application.

Any web developer who is so shallow-minded to stifle clients with these kind of terms is just in this thing for the business(extortion) and not for the passion and it is only a matter of time before the web developer is out of business.

What integrity is there to your name? You deliver a job in 7 months when the ETA was 2 months ...and you still haven't delivered all the requested features. Let me take a wild guess, you're waiting for a real web developer to develop the plugin(s) and put online as opensource with that shiny "download" button.

What passion do you have? You choke your clients with ridiculous terms that show you're just out to milk them. You've done nothing strange. Nigerians have been preying on the ignorance of their fellow brothers and sisters since 1960.

Keep the words in bold away from your future manifestos until you know what they mean.

//un-follow'd

@DualCore You've honestly said it all, the mistake the client made was not checking and reading through the contract agreement, it really saddens me that a new start up company can fall into a trap like this.

lincolnpix:

DualCore1 why offending and why the aggressive tone? don't get emotional on this.
i've explained with facts my own side of the story. I've nothing to hide and can supply tons of Skype chats and e-mail correspondence to further defend my case. Kindly go through the contract link embedded in my response to the OP.

Thanks for your time.

@lincolnpix, From the look of thing you deliberately inserted that clause that you owns the source code into the contract agreement, you intentionally did it, but knowing quite alright what you've done, did you make any attempt to point out in details to this your close friend (Novice)..

Please lets be realistic here, and to call a spade a spade, what you've done is not ethically right, even though you much concerned about your so-called code, then why are you using it in arm-twisting your client for monthly payment for the site maintenance. That's no fair, if your concern is your code let hem know, simple as ABC, and stop demanding monthly fee if they don't feel like you should continue with the site maintenance, its not by force nah.

Besides, since your client took you as a friend like he said, why cant you reach an agreement with him/company to protect your code, instead of milking a company that hasn't make any profit.

ADDITION

I think this statement below from lincolnpix summarizes everything. The client (Subset) took his as a friend perhaps based on the fact they've know each other for so long, and trusted him with everything, even probably not reading the contractual agreement of a N150Million job based on the fact that he his my friend, but the irony of it is that lincolnpix doesn't take him as a friend, and its strictly business for him.

lincolnpix:

Hello elohorayodele,
he's not really my friend, but i got what you mean. This is my first time experiencing such a cowardice.

LESSON: Never mix business with relationships...I learnt mine from here.

16 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by chiefinalowo: 1:27pm On Jun 23, 2015
lincolnpix:
Morning all,

Hi, Paschal, i hear you.

thanks to all contribuitors on this thread @adewasco2k, @Dmayor7, @Afam4evCraigston, @spikesC

Relationships with clients are always tricky, neither of you are mind readers, so what you come up with and what the client sees in their head may not always be the same thing. And then comes the feedback.

I’m a very trusting person with a huge heart, and over the years I’ve been stiffed out of tens of thousands of dollars.
Not to mention all the time and energy I lost beating myself up for being naive or trying to get people to just honour their agreements and pay for what they received.

No matter what you sell or what industry you’re in, you’re going to experience negative word of mouth (this post is my first experience) it just happens.
Would try to use this negative word of mouth as an opportunity.

Subset is talking complete and utter nonsense.

My answer to the OP is very simple..
I'm not giving him access to the Hosting cpanel because i dont want him to copy my codes, the site is not a ready made script, i designed and developed from scratch and this aspect was previously addressed in the contract.

Guys, to explain my own side of the story attached is a screenshot of the copyright section on the contract with with Paschal's company.

Full contract link: http://d.pr/f/15hf1

My one cent Nairalanders.... I ask that everyone reserve judgement until all the facts have come to light. No need ruining a someone's name by jumping to conclusions.

Paschal, try once in your life to be honest.

Cheers,
Lincoln Gbenga Olagbaju (armed with integrity and passion)

First off, delete the bolded texts....they are never your attributes.
Why would you insert such clause in a contractual agreement?
Do you want his company to be running to you all the time?
Lincoln, you are very wicked and you are only in this business for the money with no passion.

20 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by javadoctor(m): 1:37pm On Jun 23, 2015
@Lincoln , i hate your guts , only to one reason, why build a website having a Cpanel where your codes or scripts are placed. i blame you for storing them in the same place. what is your clients business with your source codes? And why did you eventually spend 7 months on a project? you are the reason why developers are outsourced from india. you dont sound like a professional at all, so if you built a CMS site you would refuse your client from managing their content? smh for u

10 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by boujaye: 1:38pm On Jun 23, 2015
subset:
Good day all.

I paid a developer to build and host a website for my company. The website was hosted with the developers name, which was the initial agreement, after which, he will transfer the account to my name.

Right now he is the only person that has full access to the hosting and has refused to give me full access to the account. His reasons, he said, were because of the database and codes he used in building the website.
This, I don't have any interest in 'cos I'm not a developer. Even If I'm one, I have made the complete payment for the website.

The access I have to the account only enables me to pay the hosting fee from my end.

I brought this to Nairaland because, I contacted the developer here and he is a Nairalander. I haven't seen him before though. He is a Nigerian but doesn't reside in Nigeria.

Pls advice.

@Op, My company suffered a similar issue. The host was based abroad (UK). I hope its not the same person.
Its a criminal offense. If the matter is pursued to a logical conclusion, his hosting license will be blocked. He has no right to withhold access
to your website so long you don't owe him.
My MD threatened to take him up with the regulatory bodies locally and internationally as was advised, at the
end of the day he liaise with our new web host and transferred the data and the codes to him. Today our web domain is in
our custody. The hosting password and all other tools to maneuver is in our control.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by mrtidier: 1:39pm On Jun 23, 2015
Deep shit. Try to negotiate with him for a one-time payment. The contract agreement would lose you the case in court. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 1:43pm On Jun 23, 2015
chiefinalowo:

First off, delete the bolded texts....they are never your attributes.
Why would you insert such clause in a contractual agreement?
Do you want his company to be running to you all the time?
Lincoln, you are very wicked and you are only on this business for money with no passion.

Hello chiefinalowo,
you're funny, try to remain on point.

I'm here to handle any negative comment, having the conversation online is okay, there's some record of the interaction, and other people can see that i did things correctly by making the client sign a contract.
From some replies on this thread, i noticed that some people are angry just because they want to be, and will continue spewing vitriol as long and as often as they can.

Maybe, it's best to move the interaction offline.

Cheers
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:46pm On Jun 23, 2015
Contrary to what has been said i do honestly believe this is an extortion scheme.

@ lincolnpix,

1. please post where exactly in that contract it is stipulated that you will get periodic fees.

2. You 'licensed' it to them for a one off fee by agreeing to build the website using those codes. A license does not mean that you are entitled to withold access to it permanently except where expressly stated.

where does it state that they cannot have access to their property.

YOU ARE AWARE THAT THE WEBSITE AND EVERYTHING THAT ARE ITS COMPONENTS BELONG TO THE PERSON WHO COMMISSIONED AND PAID FOR IT?
[size=18pt][/size]

3. Are your codes registered under any license? Or you simply assume that having created it, it belongs to you without more?

4. Do you have any legal documentation to back up your ownership of that code or you simply assume that its only your brain and hands that is capable of producing that in the entire world?

5. what are the sources you used to produce this supernatural code?

are you compliant with the licenses of the things you have used to produce the website?

are you not charging for things covered by open-source licenses that do not permit you to profit from their use?

6. Where in your agreement does it state that you have the right to deny the owner of the website access to his hosting/cpanel?

what you are doing is equal to BMW not allowing a car owner access to open the bonnet of the car because it does not want them to see the design of the radiator.

BEST CASE SCENARIO IS THAT YOU REMOVE YOUR CODE AND DELIVER THE FULLY FUNCTIONAL WEBSITE WITHOUT THOSE CODES. The client never contracted with you for those specific codes. you can as well build the website without those codes. YOU HAVE NOT EVEN FULFILLED YOUR DELIVERABLES

@ Subset, find yourself a good lawyer who knows his way around IT/IP/sofware matters and sue this asshole. You have numerous claims against this fellow, for instance he has not even delivered what you asked for (the website is not even complete yet).
Like i said, he should deliver your fully functional website (and hosting details etc). its not your business if he has put american nuclear codes in it. He was employed as a professional and it was entirely up to him to decide how best to deliver the website. he chose to use those codes not you.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 23, 2015
lincolnpix:

Thanks for your time.

I quite agree with Afam4eva, in this case you are legally the owner however I think you committed a moral wrong against subset. You knew the services the website was meant offer yet you went ahead to create a suffocating contract in a bid to maintain a steady income. I believe subset trusted you because you were friends and in his ignorance, he failed to scrutinise the terms of the contract before agreeing to it. I do not think he had this result in mind when he entered into an agreement with you.

@subset, I don't know whether you have a case or not however I think it is worthwhile for you to get a court injunction to the codes to determine whether truly those codes were his own work. I don't know much about copyright law but I think you might be able to get something how out of it if he has been lying to you.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Atk1nson(m): 1:49pm On Jun 23, 2015
lincolnpix:

Hello chiefinalowo,
you're funny, try to remain on point.

I'm here to handle any negative comment, having the conversation online is okay, there's some record of the interaction, and other people can see that i did things correctly by making the client sign a contract.
From some replies on this thread, i noticed that some people are angry just because they want to be, and will continue spewing vitriol as long and as often as they can.

Maybe, it's best to move the interaction offline.

Cheers
unfortunately you are only talking of your business interest, u seem to have little consideration for your client. Reflect Over This Phrase Use By One Of Our BiG firms - GROWING TOGETHER

5 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:51pm On Jun 23, 2015
and for avoidance of doubt, your rights to the codes simply mean that you can ensure that whosoever you licensed it to cannot transfer or use it in any other project or in any manner whatsoever without your express permission and conditions.

it does not mean that you use it to hold on to other people's property.

You are running an extortion scheme

anyway the fellow is your friend. had it been me you are trying this with you will face court cases and petitions in at least 6 different fora.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by 360jamng(m): 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2015
YOU ARE THE ONES THAT MAKE MISTAKES.

You hire someone to build a site 4 you when:
1. He does not have a site of his own.
2. You don't have full details about him.

THIS CASE IS VERY RARE.

I'm a website designer, and I offer standard services to my clients.

MY SITE IS www.

I'm 08137861696

incase you need my services, I CAN DO IT 4 YOU.

DON'T FALL FOR SCAMMERS.

I CAN ALSO HELP YOU GET THE SITE DETAILS IF ONLY YOU KNOW THE hosting company HE IS USING TO BUILD YOUR SITE.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Badgers14: 1:54pm On Jun 23, 2015
@ lincolnpix, for your mind now you dey flex muscle abi. angry just settle things amicable with op and go your way. This might come back to haunt you. Recall Karma is a b.i.t. .c.h

6 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:56pm On Jun 23, 2015
besides did you disclose any copyright or intellectual property to the client at the point of agreement?

did you make it clear you were going to impose these restrictions?

There's a lot of shit legally wrong with your scenario, off the top of my head there's elements of false misrepresentation and fraud which vitiate that your so-called terms and conditions.

plus there's the small matter of your being required to prove ownership of those 'nuclear' codes.

chai. somebody needs to make good money off your ass.

anyway, big lesson to all. GET A PROPER CONTRACT DRAWN UP for instances such as this.
and it is your right as the person paying for the job to be the one who draws up the contract on your terms. if the plugin 'developer' cannot agree to it, find another.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 1:58pm On Jun 23, 2015
4llerbuntu:
and for avoidance of doubt, your rights to the codes simply mean that you can ensure that whosoever you licensed it to cannot transfer or use it in any other project or in any manner whatsoever without your express permission and conditions.

Hello 4llerbuntu,

Made a mistake not making this clear earlier... Paschal have access to the CP with majority of the features, what he doesnt have is the permission to access the Database.

Once again, guys no need of blatant attack that’s clearly rude and outrageous, go through my response.

Cheers.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 23, 2015
he has duped you... you would always be dependent on him.

subset:
Good day all.

Pls advice.

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 2:03pm On Jun 23, 2015
360jamng:
YOU ARE THE ONES THAT MAKE MISTAKES.

You hire someone to build a site 4 you when:
1. He does not have a site of his own.
2. You don't have full details about him.

THIS CASE IS VERY RARE.

I'm a website designer, and I offer standard services to my clients.

MY SITE IS www.

I'm 08137861696

incase you need my services, I CAN DO IT 4 YOU.

DON'T FALL FOR SCAMMERS.

I CAN ALSO HELP YOU GET THE SITE DETAILS IF ONLY YOU KNOW THE hosting company HE IS USING TO BUILD YOUR SITE.

Very constructive,
check my signature and never call me a scammer!
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by bosunjohns(m): 2:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
Waoh! Am I seeing correctly? 150,000,000 for the web project. That's huge.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by javadoctor(m): 2:11pm On Jun 23, 2015
lincolnpix:

Hello 4llerbuntu,

Made a mistake not making this clear earlier... Paschal have access to the CP with majority of the features, what he doesnt have is the permission to access the Database.

Once again, guys no need of blatant attack that’s clearly rude and outrageous, go through my response.

Cheers.

if that is the case ,give him access to his database, what do you need it for? undecided Oponu
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by lincolnpix(m): 2:12pm On Jun 23, 2015
javadoctor:

if that is the case ,give him access to his database, what do you need it for? undecided Oponu

Thought i was engaging with matured guys...

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by SmooshCHN: 2:13pm On Jun 23, 2015
DualCore1:

Subset, my advice to you. Don't try to push this case any further, you don't have winning case. Agreeing to the terms of this individual was the first mistake you made. Take it as a lesson and move on. Get a professional web developer to handle your project and be sure to agree with your developer that you're getting all source codes as deliverables at the end of the project. Secondly, NEVER give the hosting of your website to the developer to handle. The web developer is not a web host. His job should stop at developing your application and placing it on your hosting account. You do not need any NASA training to manage the hosting of your websites, you just need Google. It is only a developer who wants to make you a steady and constant source of revenue that will insist on hosting your project and you should run away from such individuals. Your web developer has nothing whatsoever to do with your domain name or its hosting, all he has to do is give you the basic requirements your hosting environment needs to have to be able to run his application.

Any web developer who is so shallow-minded to stifle clients with these kind of terms is just in this thing for the business(extortion) and not for the passion and it is only a matter of time before the web developer is out of business.

Keep the words in bold away from your future manifestos until you know what they mean.

//un-follow'd
God bless you for putting it the right way. This guy isn't prudent and won't make it far with this kind of attitude. I'm not surprised though. We all just have prices to pay one way or the other and the so called Web developer will definitely be at loss on the long run. What is maintenance fee for a work you didn't complete?

4llerbuntu:
Contrary to what has been said i do honestly believe this is an extortion scheme.
@ lincolnpix,

1. please post where exactly in that contract it is stipulated that you will get periodic fees.

2. You 'licensed' it to them for a one off fee by agreeing to build the website using those codes. A license does not mean that you are entitled to withold access to it permanently except where expressly stated.

YOU ARE AWARE THAT THE WEBSITE AND EVERYTHING THAT ARE ITS COMPONENTS BELONG TO THE PERSON WHO COMMISSIONED AND PAID FOR IT?
[size=18pt][/size]
3. Are your codes registered under any license? Or you simply assume that having created it, it belongs to you without more?
4. Do you have any legal documentation to back up your ownership of that code or you simply assume that its only your brain and hands that is capable of producing that in the entire world?
are you compliant with the licenses of the things you have used to produce the website?
are you not charging for things covered by open-source licenses that do not permit you to profit from their use?
6. Where in your agreement does it state that you have the right to deny the owner of the website access to his hosting/cpanel?
what you are doing is equal to BMW not allowing a car owner access to open the bonnet of the car because it does not want them to see the design of the radiator.
BEST CASE SCENARIO IS THAT YOU REMOVE YOUR CODE AND DELIVER THE FULLY FUNCTIONAL WEBSITE WITHOUT THOSE CODES. The client never contracted with you for those specific codes. you can as well build the website without those codes. YOU HAVE NOT EVEN FULFILLED YOUR DELIVERABLES
@ Subset, find yourself a good lawyer who knows his way around IT/IP/sofware matters and sue this asshole. You have numerous claims against this fellow, for instance he has not even delivered what you asked for (the website is not even complete yet).
Like i said, he should deliver your fully functional website (and hosting details etc). its not your business if he has put american nuclear codes in it. He was employed as a professional and it was entirely up to him to decide how best to deliver the website. he chose to use those codes not you.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by dustydee: 2:15pm On Jun 23, 2015
4llerbuntu:

@ lincolnpix,

[size=18pt][/size]

I am not a lawyer neither am I a coder but you took the words out of my mouth(mid, keyboard or whatever). From the snippet of the agreement, subset deserves to get full access to his website. How the contractor chooses to protect his "codes" is his business. This is a very simple case and a charge and bail lawyer should be able to win this because even the language used in that clause is subject to interpretation.
Subset, you have a very good case should you choose to pursue it and good for you he resides in a western country so getting justice or amicable resolution should be easier.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by jinxet2000: 2:17pm On Jun 23, 2015
subset:
Good day all.

Pls advice.

Such move is not a good one. The lessons is that when next you want to engage any contractor, state all agreement clauses and sign an undertaken. The risk associated to this move is that the developer may put in a code that if your site is an online store where people pay in money, can be deducting a certain amount into his own account. Another risk is you having to pay him for routine updating and maintenance. Another, is that he may not be readily be available to update your site, you are just at his feet. it is no-no-no. This was the problem between Mark and his co-founder. Don't find yourself in such under control. Solution, I would advise you either press for the control or you abandon the site. The reason is this, if you have millions streaming into your account through the site, the developer can siphon you. You may have spent hundred of thousands but this little overlook can cost someone hard earned efforts in the future.
Finally, I would suggest you go learn basics of programming to understand these things so you can track your online activities even though a developer built your site.
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Rumin8(m): 2:25pm On Jun 23, 2015
Licolnpix, quite clearly you seem intent on running yourself out of business with this I WILL SEIZE DATABASE OR CPANEL mindset. You do not have the right to withhold access to the database of a website you built for a client. Absolutely not. Building a website for a client is not the same as running software as a service.

Besides, what 'codes' are in the database? Databases hold no codes. They hold data. You instead write codes to insert, modify, delete or pull data from a database. Codes are not stored in databases. You can tell that to your clients, not in a forum where there are other web professionals.

If your codes are so important to you, build a platform where the client can have access to the complete database records, along with the means to modify and export the data. With a highly functional CMS, no client will have the need to access phpMyAdmin on a remote server. Unless he or she wants to modify database structure (which surely would mean having a qualified staff).

I have been in the business of website development since 1999 and have had no need to restrict clients from accessing CPanel, regardless of scope or complexity of work done. I have worked with clients in the manufacturing, health, sports and engineering industries, with very demanding projects and have not, nor will ever restrict CPanel access.

I do not want to go into the request, or demand for monthly retainers as that is another unprofessional conduct that underscores your lack of experience, expertise and wisdom but I'd leave it to your client to decide how to progress on that front.

In closing, if majority of the posters here, including web design professionals have insisted that your action is wrong, forget the contract grammar, then it is. If you choose not to deal with your client on a friendly and helpful basis, on a basis that shows goodwill, regardless of your need for money, then you should not be in the business altogether.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Vock(m): 2:25pm On Jun 23, 2015
Like who agrees to that kinda funny agreement in this age Nice one Lincolnpix, you did what most Nigerians do, always finding means to cage not so bright people like your friend who trusted you... Me would sue you for those license codes if I was the one
My two cents? Try to acquire good moral habits, might work for you in the long run.Connections are quite important, you never can tell where it might land you

3 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by southwestngr: 2:29pm On Jun 23, 2015
DualCore1:

//un-follow'd

WHY ARE YOU SO PAINED? grin on top another person matter. blame the OP not the developer abeg, WHY I GO AGREE TO WETIN I NO UNDERSTAND?

@lincolnpix this your term get as he be oh. as a professional developer you should find a way to keep your code safe from others not this method you are using. e.g developing your own framework that only you can understand, encryption, hosted css on your side e.t.c
Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by Wallie(m): 2:39pm On Jun 23, 2015
subset:
Good day all.

lincolnpix:
Morning all,

I'm not giving him access to the Hosting cpanel because i dont want him to copy my codes, the site is not a ready made script, i designed and developed from scratch and this aspect was previously addressed in the contract.

The issue at hand here is one of copyrights and whether lincolnpix is an employee of subset. It is clear from their relationship that lincolnpix is not an employee but a contractor hired to create a particular website. Since lincolnpix is not an employee, lincolnpix owns the copyrights to the code unless he assigns his rights to subset.

I downloaded the contract attached to the link lincolnpix provided and a relevant portion states “We will give you a copy of all files and you should store them really safely as we are not required to keep them or pro- vide any native source files that we used in making them. … We own the XHTML markup, CSS and other code and we license it to you for use on only this project.”

From the clause above, lincolnpix did not assign his ownership rights to subset.

However, as a goodwill gesture and a good business practice, lincolnpix should give subset access to the cpanel as the website seemed just a little more complex than templates one could easily get code-access to. On the database side of things, which are just a bunch of tables, the developer should have provided subset with the database schema as part of the required documentation.

Overall, in my humble opinion as an attorney and an entrepreneur, the contract is somewhat ambiguous and does not spell out the actual deliverables apart from the templates, especially if the contract is worth NGN150M. Also, based on the NGN150M price tag, I’m guessing there’s a lot more to this contract than just some html stuff and that should have been included in the contract.

Subset, you should have required the following documents as part of the deliverables to help protect your investment even if lincolnpix will continually help you manage the website:
1. Software Requirement Specification
2. Software Design Document
- Preliminary design document
- Detailed design document
3. Test plan

Subset, without documentation that details every single aspect of the design and implementation, how are you going to continue future developments of your website if lincolnpix becomes unavailable for whatever reason? This is another reason lincolnpix has to deliver the source code because Subset should be free to hire another developer in the future to take over your development UNLESS lincolnpix EXPLICITLY stated otherwise in the executed contract.

5 Likes

Re: Pls Advice: A Developer Has Refused My Access To The Website Database I Paid For by HomoDroid(m): 2:39pm On Jun 23, 2015
Where's the quarrel coming from? The most important thing in a website is the content. Collect your content and get some other geek to extract the code or create similar code (httrack; firebug; view source will help)... it will only cost a little more!

Geeks in the house, am I speaking Greek here?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nairaland.com Redirecting To My.Naij.Com On Etisalat? / Meet 12 Year-old Nigerian Web Developer, Obaloluwa Odelana / Cultist Shot At Laspotech First Gate Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.