Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Toni Kan's Nights Of The Creaking Bed New Collection - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Toni Kan's Nights Of The Creaking Bed New Collection (1948 Views)

The Last Night Of The Creaking Bed / 7 Nights / Video: Nobel Laureate Toni Morrison Speaks On Her New Novel And On Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toni Kan's Nights Of The Creaking Bed New Collection by AngelAtta: 9:02am On Feb 26, 2009
I am new to this forum and I think it is great that their is a space to discus literature.

Last night I went to see Sefi Atta and Toni Kan reading from their books last night at the British Council in Lagos. I absolutely love Sefi's writing. She has a a fantastic eye for details. Unfortunately, the quality of the books are just too dreadful for words. They were selling at N800 the same price as Toni Kan's new collection of short stories which was beautifully designed.

I use to read Toni Kan's romance in Hints back in the day and then I started reading is reviews in True Love. He is such an engaging speaker. After the reading, I read the book through the night. Oh my god, this guy is so fantastic. For me, he is the best of all the new Nigerian writers. Helon, Chimamanda move over let Toni take over!! Nights of the creaking bed is raw, it is erotic and not afraid to talk about mature female eroticism. I love it. It is so wonderful to see a man capture the feminine emotion so exact. You can touch, see and smile some of the places and characters he described. I think this is an author that is going places. He signed my copy. I must have spent about N6000 buying yesterday. I bought about four books from Cassava Republic, Toni's publisher because they are just simply beautiful. The cover designs are just too much. They say don't judge a book by its cover, but who can resist Cloth Girl, The Hidden Star and Tropical Fish (by that Uganda author). The covers are just fantastic. I also bought a book from Farafina called St Patrick. I am so looking forward to reading all these new writers.

If the organisers of the event are reading this, they should do publicity right. I just happened to be at the British Council that day to use the library, otherwise I would not have found out.

I'll stop now to catch up on my sleep.

Angel
Re: Toni Kan's Nights Of The Creaking Bed New Collection by AngelAtta: 9:04am On Feb 26, 2009
Sorry Just checked my reciept, Sefi's books are going for N1000 except for Everything Good which is N800. I don't how publishing works, but it doesn't make sense of how that small, badly designed book can go for a N1000 and Toni Kan's goes for N800. It ain't right.
Re: Toni Kan's Nights Of The Creaking Bed New Collection by Gamine(f): 10:42pm On Feb 26, 2009
I was also at one of the book-readings
i got my copy autographed by Toni Kan,

Nights of The Creaking bed was indeed Raw and very emotional. . .
i almost finished the whole book at the Reading,

Cassava Publishers, i happen to have met them and for a really young publishing house
i have to say they are doing well and would require as much support as possible.

I will definitely work with them somehow in the future, very inspiring i tell you.
Re: Toni Kan's Nights Of The Creaking Bed New Collection by nanaboi(m): 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2009
I've always thought Toni Kan's a fantastic penman. I wrote my long essay in school on his first published poetry collection, When A Dream Lingers too Long and I had fun with that work.

Haven't been oppurtuned to read him again. The bookshop I just checked now in Enugu seems 2 store only books by foreign authors - the "best seller" syndrome.
Re: Toni Kan's Nights Of The Creaking Bed New Collection by Gamine(f): 7:44pm On Feb 27, 2009
Yeah, he said he doesn't write any fantasy or sci-fi, that he practically sees no need of it. LOL

You could probably get some in PH

(1) (Reply)

Get These Books By Some Of Nairaland's Favourite Authors / What A Day (by Abiodun O)...18+ / The Heart Seeks A Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.