Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV (31551 Views)

Write A Resume That Gets You Hired: 6 Common Resume Mistakes To Avoid / How To Ensure HR Administrators Get Your CV During Applications / 3 Things Recruiters Hate To See On Your CV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Whizzcute(m): 12:22pm On Jun 22, 2015
With high unemployment on the African continent, competition for every job opening is fierce. The first step towards securing your dream job is putting together a professional curriculum vitae (CV) that gets the recruiter excited about the skills, experience and qualifications you have to offer.

But many great candidates fail at this first hurdle in the job search process by making some basic errors when compiling their CVs. Here are a few of the common mistakes we see in the CVs that come across our desks when we’re recruiting – if you manage to avoid them, you’ll already given yourself an edge in the job market.

1. Irrelevant personal information

In today’s competitive job market, recruiters may get hundreds of CVs for every job they advertise. Do them a favour by focusing your CV on the experience and qualifications that make you stand out. Avoid anything that could bias the recruiter against your application, be controversial in his or her mind, or simply pad your CV with unnecessary information.

Although it is good to give an overall picture of who you are, don’t go overboard listing your hobbies, interests, or beliefs, unless they’re particularly relevant to the job you’re applying for. Also, be wary of detailing your sexual orientation, religious beliefs or political convictions in your CV. They’re simply not relevant.

Recruiters sometimes access social media platforms to gain insight into job applicants. Make sure that the image projected by your social media accounts is one that you’d like to portray to prospective employers.

2. Falsehoods and half-truths

It’s important to cast your achievements and qualifications in the best possible light in your CV, but you should also be truthful about the facts of your career and personal history. Don’t claim to have qualifications you don’t have, don’t inflate your job titles or salary in the hopes of advancing your career, and don’t lie about your previous achievements.

Recruiters will check on your background, and they will usually find out if you’ve embellished the truth to try and get a higher salary or to secure a job for which you’re not qualified. With so many high-profile people under scrutiny in the press for lying about their qualifications, recruiters are being extra careful in their screening of candidates at the moment.

3. Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors

Few things get a CV thrown in the dustbin faster than glaring spelling or grammar errors. Recruiters will assume that you’re lazy or incompetent if your CV is full of typos. Read your CV and read it again a bit later to make sure you catch all of the errors before you send it off. Check headings, subject lines and cover letters carefully. If you’re not good at spelling and grammar, ask a family member or friend to proofread your CV.

4. Employment history

An unexplained gap in your work history makes recruiters nervous. Rather be upfront and explain that you took some time out to travel or raise children or that you were ill for a long spell than leave a mysterious hole in your CV – don’t let a recruiter imagine you spent that time in a maximum security prison as he or she deletes your application.

To help the recruiter assess your application quickly, start your CV with summarised career chronology. Begin with your most recently held position and provide an overview of your experience and expertise that are relevant to the job you’re applying for. For your less relevant or recent experience, you can offer less information.

5. Current salary or salary expectations

You have little to gain from highlighting your salary expectations in a CV. If they’re too modest, the employer may wonder if you’re qualified for the job, or you might weaken your chances of negotiating the best possible package. If they’re too high, your CV will be dismissed out of hand. That might be unfortunate if you’re desperate for the job or if you have a good enough story to tell to justify your cost to the company. Rather let the recruiter raise the issue of remuneration during the interview process.

By Anja van Beek, HR Director for Sage VIP and Chief People Officer for Sage AAMEA (Africa, Australia, Middle East and Asia)

http://leadership.ng/features/442197/5-mistakes-to-avoid-when-compiling-your-cv

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by obinna2nv(m): 12:39pm On Jun 22, 2015
OK.. Copy that..

Am I FTC or what?
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Kufie(m): 1:32pm On Jun 22, 2015
Good information. However, there are different standards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by raayah(f): 1:33pm On Jun 22, 2015
The best thing is to have connections. No need for cv.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by exemen: 1:33pm On Jun 22, 2015
GOOD NOTICE........... THANKS FOR NOTIFYING US...........KUDUS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by missionmex(m): 1:33pm On Jun 22, 2015
Roger that.
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by swimcash(m): 1:33pm On Jun 22, 2015
we hear u
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by oyin01(m): 1:34pm On Jun 22, 2015
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by neweraomo: 1:34pm On Jun 22, 2015
Lovely,, thanks
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by swimcash(m): 1:35pm On Jun 22, 2015
raayah:
on point

1 Like

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by eleojo23: 1:35pm On Jun 22, 2015
raayah:
But not everyone will have connections so there is still need for CV.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by raayah(f): 1:36pm On Jun 22, 2015
swimcash:
on point

Thanks babe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 22, 2015
thanks op smiley
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by xmileeasy: 1:39pm On Jun 22, 2015
I don review CVS tired, remove the removeables, add the recommended features. I just know se na Godwin at the end of the matter. You are next in line to narrate your success story

3 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by obaede: 1:39pm On Jun 22, 2015
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Precious91(m): 1:42pm On Jun 22, 2015
noted,Op.thanks
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Nicepoker(m): 1:44pm On Jun 22, 2015
I Compile and summit CV to my self. #teamselfemployed#
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by ourleader(m): 1:45pm On Jun 22, 2015
Besides avoid wearing non official cloth to interviwe this make you appear cheat and undisciplined.
2. Have a self worth, don't bow down to anyone! simple use hand shake and a smile on face while greeting anybody from gate of the job to the sit of interviwer!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by bobcharly(m): 1:50pm On Jun 22, 2015
right on time!
Op, how do you know I'm working my CV now?
thanks.
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by barry40: 1:53pm On Jun 22, 2015
False information is very rampart. I was shortlisting candidates to fill a particular position for a client. The suitable age range for the position was clearly specified in the advert. I found out that a large number of applicants adjusted their age to suit the job specifications. By the time I called them that they should quickly tell me their age before shortlisting, the responses I got was something else. Is it possible to forget one's birthday? Nairalanders can do justice to this.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by femi4: 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2015
Stop writing CURRICULUM VITAE on your CV

4 Likes

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Louisville141(m): 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2015
Sooo on point...but make sure you have correct connectz. Just incase
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by boboLIL(m): 2:35pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nice 0ne
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Sunnypa11(m): 2:42pm On Jun 22, 2015
Na only God go help...all this put put everywhere without connection na zero....Imagine i went for interview and they endup giving a girl with nighty dress the job because she be inner carcus
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Rexphobia(m): 2:50pm On Jun 22, 2015
Not tailored for Naija
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Alove1(m): 3:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
Quite informative.. this is for fresh graduates finishing or have finished service.. Most of the unemployed ones are too angry or too lazy to effect changes in their CVs..
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by kedunaija(m): 3:20pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nice piece of information http://kedunaija.com is one nigeria information blog
Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Tinyemeka(m): 3:28pm On Jun 22, 2015
raayah:

For all the 3rd rate jobs. undecided

I don't see connections taking you anywhere in a a top-rate job hunt.

1 Like

Re: 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Compiling Your CV by Bruno3000(m): 3:39pm On Jun 22, 2015

(1) (2) (Reply)

Join Me To Thank God Oooooo. I Have Just Gotten A Job / Apply For Graduate HR Trainees Position At UBA / Advice, He Was Invited For A Chat after a brave reply to the regret letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.