Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Car Names Pronunciations. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Names Pronunciations. (37085 Views)

17 Most Weird Car Names You've Ever Heard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by notoriousbabe: 12:47pm On Jul 01, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

@ Topic,
Nice one, OP.. I learnt something..
tell me what you learnt
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by asumo12: 12:47pm On Jul 01, 2015
Omotayor123:
Englishiiii grin
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by conquistadores(m): 12:48pm On Jul 01, 2015
Chevrolet= shev ro lay not shev ro let
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by dallyemmy: 12:49pm On Jul 01, 2015
Name Wahala!
Chukwudi: See my my Toyota Cecilia
Homeboy: Ahaha
Chukwudi: Why you dey laugh Nna
Homeboy: It is called Toyota Celica and not Cecilia
Chukwudi: Nna forget that thing, Na you know the name, Na me get the Car!
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Lanceslot(m): 12:50pm On Jul 01, 2015
kennygee:
I'm I the only one seeing names of Cars i have never heard in my life?

Tesla
Fiat

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Lanceslot(m): 12:51pm On Jul 01, 2015
kennygee:
I'm I the only one seeing names of Cars i have never heard in my life?

Tesla
Fiat

You've not seen FIAT heavy duty truck? I'm not sure the company manufacture cars.

1 Like

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Tapout(m): 12:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
Volkswagen → ‘Volks + va + kin’

tell this to a mechanic and he bounces u out of his workshop sad
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Psyrus(m): 12:53pm On Jul 01, 2015
Am sure any car dealer would not argue when they see cash.
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Sleekyshuga(f): 12:55pm On Jul 01, 2015
notoriousbabe:
tell me what you learnt
How to pronounce different names of cars wink, though some names, I never knew existed..
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by shepherdnoble: 12:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
Na small pikin dey worry u.
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by charlescarlos: 12:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hyundai is pronounced as "chun_dai" in Korea.
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by chudinho: 1:02pm On Jul 01, 2015
NifemiOlu:
Car names being pronounced wrongly isn't peculiar to Nigerians alone. I have made an attempt to compile some car names. Enjoy and learn.

Acura → ‘Ack + you + rah’ | The ‘c’ makes a hard ‘k’ sound. The second syllable sounds like the word ‘you’.

Aston Martin → ‘Ass + ton Mahr + tin’ | First syllable is pronounced ‘ass’ and the second is pronounced like the word ‘ton’. Say ‘Martin’ just like the name!

Audi → ‘Aww + dee’ | Audi is a tough one. For the first syllable just say ‘aww’ like if you were in pain, then ‘dee’ for the second.

Bentley → ‘Bent + lee | One of the simpler car brands, Bentley is pronounced ‘bent’ then ‘lee’.

BMW → ‘Bee Emm W’ | Just say the letters B, M, W!

Bugatti → ‘Boo+gat+ee | The first syllable of the Italian car brand Bugatti is pronounced ‘boo’!

Buick → ‘Byue + ikk’ | A tougher one to pronounce, make sure you pronounce Buick as if there is a ‘y’ following the ‘b’. It’s the same mouth movement as the word ‘cute’.

Cadillac → ‘Kad + ill + ak’ | Make sure you pronounce will a standard ‘L’ sound, nothing fancy.

Chrysler → ‘Cry + sler’ | Instead of making the ‘ch’ sound, pronounce Chrysler as if it is spelled Krysler.

Dodge → ‘Dawdge’ | The ‘o’ makes more of an ‘aw’ sound in Dodge.

Fiat → ‘Fee + awt’ | The ‘i’ makes an ‘ee’ sound.

Ferrari → ‘Fur + arr + ee’ | Makers of some of the fastest and most expensive cars in the world, Ferrari is pronounced as if the first syllable is spelled ‘fur’. The same applies to 'girl' pronounced as /gurl/

Ford → ‘Four + d’ or 'Fod' | An easy one. Just the number 4 plus a ‘d’ at the end!

GMC → ‘Gee + Emm + See’ | Like BMW, all you need to do is say the letters G, M, C.

Honda → ‘Hohn + dah’ | The ‘o’ and ‘a’ make a similar ‘ah’ sound.

Hyundai → ‘Hi + yoon + day’ | This Korean car brand looks tricky, but can easily be split into three simple syllables. Sean Tizzle miss-pronounced this in 2013, he said 'Haiyondai'. He even made a joke by extending it to 'I wan die'. LoL

Infiniti → ‘In + fin + it + ee’ | The first three I’s are all pronounced the same. The fourth sounds like ‘ee’.

Jeep → ‘Jeep’ | The full ‘e’ sound is critical in pronouncing Jeep.

Kia → ‘Kee + ya’ | To pronounce Kia, just say ‘key’ plus ‘ya’.

Land Rover → ‘Laand Row + var’ | Land Rover isn’t too tricky to pronounce. Pronounce ‘Rover’ by saying ‘row’ then ‘var’.

Lamborghini → ‘Lam + bore + gee + nee’ | Another fancy Italian brand of sports cars, the I’s in Lamborghini make an ‘e’ sound.

Lexus → ‘Lecks + us’ | Make sure you say the first syllable as if it’s spelled ‘ecks’ and not ‘eeks’.

Mazda → ‘Mahz + dah’ | A very unique name, make sure to pronounce the ‘z’ properly.

Mercedes → ‘Mer + say + dees’ | The second ‘e’ sounds like an ‘a’.

Mitsubishi → ‘Mitt + sue + bee + shee’ | Remember the last two I’s are pronounced ‘ee’.

Nissan → ‘Nee + sahn’ | The first syllable is pronounced exactly like the word ‘knee’.

Porsche → ‘Poor + shuh’ | Three consonants in a row?! To make things easier, look at the phonetic spelling of Porsche for guidance. Every Nigerian seems to know this one.

Rolls Royce → ‘Row + lls Roice’ | The first word is pronounced just like ‘rolls’ is normally. Royce rhymes with ‘voice’.

Subaru → ‘Soo + bar + oo’ | The two syllables ‘su’ and ‘ru’ both rhyme with ‘boo’. Not 'Subayru' as Yorubas call it. I am Yoruba.

Tesla → ‘Tess + lah’ | The first syllable of Tesla rhymes with ‘mess’.

Toyota → ‘Toy + oh + tah’ | Just say ‘toy’ then ‘yota’!

Volkswagen → ‘Volks + va + kin’ | ‘Volks’ rhymes with ‘folks’, and the second part of the word is pronounced just like ‘vakin’. I learnt this on CNN. Don't argue please. Also, take a clue from Arsenal manager's name Wenger. It's Venger by pronunciation.

Volvo → ‘Vol + vo’ | If you like safe station wagons, then you are familiar with Volvo.

Lastly, Peugeot → ‘Poe+ Joe’ | This car isn't pronounced 'Pijot' or 'Pijoe' and not 'pigeon'.

Germans calls "W" V. That I know. So anyone who wants to argue about the Volks name should make sure he understands german.
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by king1234: 1:03pm On Jul 01, 2015
you got Hyundai wrong.

See the correct pronunciation.. Hun day like Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY-5dn3t4xM

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by nagoma(m): 1:03pm On Jul 01, 2015
One that dudes here can't pronounce is Jaguar - and is not in your list.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 01, 2015
Very informative post op (especially the volksvakin grin grin)

But all the same

what good shall it profit a man if he knows the pronunciation of cars and has no money to buy them
- oseod

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 01, 2015
Tapout:

tell this to a mechanic and he bounces u out of his workshop sad

He will tell you that he doesn't have volksvakin spare parts and refer to the nearest mechanic, who will also refer you again and again until you learn that its pronounced volkswagen in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by notoriousbabe: 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

How to pronounce different names of cars wink, though some names, I never knew existed..
ok. Questtion no 2,how many cars you get?
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Phonetikkks: 1:08pm On Jul 01, 2015
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Tats(m): 1:17pm On Jul 01, 2015
Porsche is Por-Sha
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by darmys(f): 1:24pm On Jul 01, 2015
if i can pronounce it and cannot afford it nkor? grin

Nice post though. it is very interesting to know
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by busky101(m): 1:26pm On Jul 01, 2015
OGreene:
Hi, which dictionary did you use? That word is a German word and i have taken German classes in the past. I was taught that 'W' is pronounced as 'V', eg Wenger is called Venger, Wie is called Vie.

Also the german 'V' is pronounced as an 'F' eg Volks is called like folks, Vater is called fater (vater is father in English)

You can ask Google if you aint convinced. grin

thank you, i noted d error as well, Bmw in german is=BMV while volkswagen in german is FOLKSVAGEN which means peoples car, so since the companies are german owned, he gat d pronounciation wrong. Audi and Mercedes inclusive!
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 1:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
Let me quickly add mine, Innoson meaning- Ehh+noor-son.
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by tmanis(m): 1:32pm On Jul 01, 2015
I think Hyundai is pronounced 'yon-dae'
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by bokohalal(m): 1:40pm On Jul 01, 2015
Porsha
Portia
Porsche
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 01, 2015
darmys:
if i can pronounce it and cannot afford it nkor? grin
Nice post though. it is very interesting to know
Keep pronouncing it until you can afford itcheesy

1 Like

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by wordcat(m): 1:44pm On Jul 01, 2015
NifemiOlu:

Lamborghini → ‘Lam + bore + gee + nee’ | Another fancy Italian brand of sports cars, the I’s in Lamborghini make an ‘e’ sound.

This car dey hard me pronounce

Thanks a lot.
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by darmys(f): 1:46pm On Jul 01, 2015
softysparky:

Keep pronouncing it until you can afford itcheesy

naso
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by segzybeez(m): 1:48pm On Jul 01, 2015
lemme add dis chevrolet pronounced 'shev-ro-le' the chev is pronounced lyk 'cha' in chandelier. and the T is silent.
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by segzybeez(m): 1:48pm On Jul 01, 2015
lemme add dis chevrolet pronounced 'shev-ro-le' the chev is pronounced lyk 'cha' in chandelier. and the T is silent.
cc:nifemiolu

2 Likes

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 01, 2015
NifemiOlu:
Car names being pronounced wrongly isn't peculiar to Nigerians alone. I have made an attempt to compile some car names. Enjoy and learn.

Acura → ‘Ack + you + rah’ | The ‘c’ makes a hard ‘k’ sound. The second syllable sounds like the word ‘you’.

Aston Martin → ‘Ass + ton Mahr + tin’ | First syllable is pronounced ‘ass’ and the second is pronounced like the word ‘ton’. Say ‘Martin’ just like the name!

Audi → ‘Aww + dee’ | Audi is a tough one. For the first syllable just say ‘aww’ like if you were in pain, then ‘dee’ for the second.

Bentley → ‘Bent + lee | One of the simpler car brands, Bentley is pronounced ‘bent’ then ‘lee’.

Bugatti → ‘Boo+gat+ee | The first syllable of the Italian car brand Bugatti is pronounced ‘boo’!

Buick → ‘Byue + ikk’ | A tougher one to pronounce, make sure you pronounce Buick as if there is a ‘y’ following the ‘b’. It’s the same mouth movement as the word ‘cute’.

Cadillac → ‘Kad + ill + ak’ | Make sure you pronounce will a standard ‘L’ sound, nothing fancy.

Chrysler → ‘Cry + sler’ | Instead of making the ‘ch’ sound, pronounce Chrysler as if it is spelled Krysler.

Ferrari → ‘Fur + arr + ee’ | Makers of some of the fastest and most expensive cars in the world, Ferrari is pronounced as if the first syllable is spelled ‘fur’. The same applies to 'girl' pronounced as /gurl/

Ford → ‘Four + d’ or 'Fod' | An easy one. Just the number 4 plus a ‘d’ at the end!

GMC → ‘Gee + Emm + See’ | Like BMW, all you need to do is say the letters G, M, C.

Hyundai → ‘Hi + yoon + day’ | This Korean car brand looks tricky, but can easily be split into three simple syllables. Sean Tizzle miss-pronounced this in 2013, he said 'Haiyondai'. He even made a joke by extending it to 'I wan die'. LoL

Infiniti → ‘In + fin + it + ee’ | The first three I’s are all pronounced the same. The fourth sounds like ‘ee’.

Land Rover → ‘Laand Row + var’ | Land Rover isn’t too tricky to pronounce. Pronounce ‘Rover’ by saying ‘row’ then ‘var’.

Lexus → ‘Lecks + us’ | Make sure you say the first syllable as if it’s spelled ‘ecks’ and not ‘eeks’.

Mazda → ‘Mahz + dah’ | A very unique name, make sure to pronounce the ‘z’ properly.

Mitsubishi → ‘Mitt + sue + bee + shee’ | Remember the last two I’s are pronounced ‘ee’.

Nissan → ‘Nee + sahn’ | The first syllable is pronounced exactly like the word ‘knee’.

Porsche → ‘Poor + shuh’ | Three consonants in a row?! To make things easier, look at the phonetic spelling of Porsche for guidance. Every Nigerian seems to know this one.

Rolls Royce → ‘Row + lls Roice’ | The first word is pronounced just like ‘rolls’ is normally. Royce rhymes with ‘voice’.

Subaru → ‘Soo + bar + oo’ | The two syllables ‘su’ and ‘ru’ both rhyme with ‘boo’. Not 'Subayru' as Yorubas call it. I am Yoruba.

Volkswagen → ‘Volks + va + kin’ | ‘Volks’ rhymes with ‘folks’, and the second part of the word is pronounced just like ‘vakin’. I learnt this on CNN. Don't argue please. Also, take a clue from Arsenal manager's name Wenger. It's Venger by pronunciation.

Volvo → ‘Vol + vo’ | If you like safe station wagons, then you are familiar with Volvo.

Lastly, Peugeot → ‘Poe+ Joe’ | This car isn't pronounced 'Pijot' or 'Pijoe' and not 'pigeon'.

Well done and clap for yourself, I don't know how this contributes to the growth of your Economy or if this is the change we shout so much about!

I hope you take this much effort to educate the white man how to pronounce "Innoson" or for that matter adewale, Chikwuemeka or abdulahi instead of changing your name to Harry and James when you go abroad!!!

Free yourself from mental slavery!!!!!
Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Emperoradrian(m): 1:58pm On Jul 01, 2015
NifemiOlu:

Re: Car Names Pronunciations. by Emperoradrian(m): 2:03pm On Jul 01, 2015
If u lik,cram all d cars vocabulary names and pronunciation,if u lik pronounce dem lik Queen elizabeth,nigga if u dnt hustle hard,u wont b able to afford dia tyres,talk more of d ride itself.....God bless all hustlers......every hustler has a pay day!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Car With 3 Tyres Spotted In Sango Ogun State. Photos And Video / Photo: Fatal Accident At Oshodi This Morning / Mercedes Benz Self Driving Bus Unveiled (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.