Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,773 members, 7,802,378 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace (61083 Views)

Oba Of Benin Reacts To Attack On Octogenarian In Benin Palace, Heads To Asorock / Dangote, Ooni Ogunwusi, Oyegun At Oba Of Benin's Coronation / 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by BornnAgainChild(f): 12:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
handie:
As if there's Even anything in the Oba palace that's worth seeing. The Binis are just too superstitious for my liking. Them like Juju like say 2morrow no dey. Only in Benin are u gonna see chickens, and different food types placed in strategic junctions as sacrifice.

Still in this same benin that a child as young as 10 years of age can invoke a stone or pin on the ground into someones body,there witchcraft na firstclass
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by sunkanmiisaac(m): 1:05pm On Jun 25, 2015
Hmnnn now that u know it become an offence for you.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by mrkingjerry(m): 1:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
handie:
As if there's Even anything in the Oba palace that's worth seeing. The Binis are just too superstitious for my liking. Them like Juju like say 2morrow no dey. Only in Benin are u gonna see chickens, and different food types placed in strategic junctions as sacrifice.

U Dey crazy for head oh. U talk like as if u are been to the palace. Local goat like u.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by handie(m): 1:16pm On Jun 25, 2015
mrkingjerry:

U Dey crazy for head oh. U talk like as if u are been to the palace. Local goat like u.
Guy, why u dey Zuor na? Just so, u know, I've been there and I just also want u to know the meme OviEdo pataki. Get that into ur thick skull before u run down to Uselu for ur afternoon treatment
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Atigba: 1:43pm On Jun 25, 2015
Sorry we don't need that dead Jewish man
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by prophetfire: 8:32pm On Jun 25, 2015
redsun:

It is not exactly on pitch darkness,it is just a way that is different from others that makes them who they are. Although they could do with some amendments but a people without original culture or way of life they can claim to be theirs are like trees without roots.

Even in Buckingham palace,ancient traditions and beliefs are still in full force. There are still places even an Irish can not tread,talkless of a darkie.
the whole world has moved on but Africa is still gloating over antiquities in an atomic age.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 8:47pm On Jun 25, 2015
You did not tell the world how the oba of benin forcefully makes a woman he fancies his concubines once she enters the palace .. With or without any consent of the girls parents or the girl ...this is abduction kidnapping and unroyal

You did not tell them about the castrated men also

Don't ask me... I lived in benin
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 8:48pm On Jun 25, 2015
prophetfire:
the whole world has moved on but Africa is still gloating over antiquities in an atomic age.

This is one reason edo state is backward
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 8:49pm On Jun 25, 2015
mrkingjerry:

But he said the truth
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 8:57pm On Jun 25, 2015
Ubenedictus:

there is a tradition or rather there was a tradition among the Obas that kept the Oba in the palace most time and he used to publicly come out once a year during the festival.

In the olden days and to a lesser degree even today, the Oba doesn't receive guests anyhow and doesn't dress anyhow. He ofcuz uses the traditional means.

In the olden day it was ritually forbidden for the prince to see his father on full ragalia, there is still the rumour flying around that if the omo n'ba is fully dressed he can be a force of nature when angry.

So I believe for reasons of commonsense, seperation of power, a some interesting rituals the prince isn't supposed to live with is father when of age.

Please it seems that your knowledge in benin history is impressive can I get this clarifications

Some people say that oba of benin if he dies his head would be chopped off and buried somewhere in ile ife

Two that benin are Yoruba and answerable to ooni of ife even oba

The last question is that the term oba came from yoruba or is it the other way round

I lived in benin around oliha and I am trying to know how benin and Yoruba relate...who is the elder

Then are utsen Yoruba or benin and are they answerable to oba of benin or one Yoruba oba ...their language is a mixture of Yoruba and benin

Thank u
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 12:19am On Jun 26, 2015
delishpot:

Hahaha, clap for ya self. And you think I do not condemn them too? I do not go to church sir, neither do I go to a mosque. I condemn modern day christianity, I am not one of them.

Jesus is not God. You can only gain salvation, light and knowledge from him. Even many so called jujus are dieties imported from other places. Do you think jujus are not also imported? Truth be told, if the whole world lived a 90% as Jesus preached the world will be a paradise.

Well good for you. Religion sucks anyway
But why jesus? Have you ever considered the teachings of orunmila?

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 12:22am On Jun 26, 2015
Atlantian:
Europe ? Been there and got the best of education that you mentally slow-and-slaved lower humanoid species with magnified right brain lobes can ever wish for.
grin grin you really got no education at all for you to spew such nonsense against african cultur
You are nothing but a white man's monkey
I am free - mind, body and soul but u are caged mentally

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 12:43am On Jun 26, 2015
http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/london-naked-bike-ride-article-3067.html

London naked cyclists. ..rubbish culture and some bastard slaves like Atlantian are insulting the Bini beautiful culture

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by delishpot: 7:42am On Jun 26, 2015
macof:

Well good for you. Religion sucks anyway
But why jesus? Have you ever considered the teachings of orunmila?

Does he have any rules and regulations apart from the obvious natural laws that guides humans and nature? Jesus is not a god or God, he never claimed to be he never asked to be served. He always said the glory or decesion making was not his to make but that of the one who sent him.
Anyhow, I avoid anything that will say dont eat oil, dont wear red, avoid your pregnant wife, avoid your menstruating daughter, dont whisper, dont sing at night, avoid crayfish, dont look up, dont sit to shit or stand to pee etc etc. I've got 2 words for such gods.......... Hell No
ok 2 more words and am done..Not Me..........ok two last words for such gods and I aint gonna say anything more smiley Fug off.
My Mom told me once about a juju that appeared in my great grand pas house once. It appeared like a stream, they woke up one morning and saw a small pond at the front of their house. He went to enquire and was told the juju has chosen him for blessing and favour if he will allow it stay and be served by my great grand pa and his family. My great grand pa( who wasnt a christian by the way) said ok, what does it require to serve it, the silly demon said just a virgin male and female. He asked is it a virgin goat or dog or cow? The silly thing said ohhh, a virgin human boy and girl.
my great grand said look here, I give you tonight, if you do not leave my compound, we will use you as compound refuse dump site. The woke up the next morning and it was gone. Some of these ish are more wicked than the one we call satan.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by delishpot: 7:58am On Jun 26, 2015
tonychristopher:
You did not tell the world how the oba of benin forcefully makes a woman he fancies his concubines once she enters the palace .. With or without any consent of the girls parents or the girl ...this is abduction kidnapping and unroyal

Does that still happen?
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Ubenedictus(m): 8:13am On Jun 26, 2015
tonychristopher:
Some people say that oba of benin if he dies his head would be chopped off and buried somewhere in ile ife

Two that benin are Yoruba and answerable to ooni of ife even oba

The last question is that the term oba came from yoruba or is it the other way round

I lived in benin around oliha and I am trying to know how benin and Yoruba relate...who is the elder

Then are utsen Yoruba or benin and are they answerable to oba of benin or one Yoruba oba ...their language is a mixture of Yoruba and benin

Thank u
according to the bini account yoruba and bini are brothers.

There is a story of how it is.

In the olden days the bini kingdom was called igodo or igodomigodo, the ruler was not called Oba, he was called ogiso, he was believed to be a descendant of the gods and had power over his subject, the line of ogisos is very long, but the last ogiso wasn't blessed with many sons, he had just one son. I think his name was Elekederan (i'm not sure I got it correctly), anyway the other wife of the ogiso claimed the oracle said the prince must be banished. Without much ado he was banish, he left the city in the company of some "izebus", after some years of jorneying he landed in present day Ife and change his name to "Imazodu'wa", i.e "i didn't miss the path of properity", (which was later corrupted to "oduduwa"wink there he was famed for his tradition powers, his healing and his spiritual prowess. The soon became king taking the traditional title Oba.

Back home his father had died and Evian a member of the royal family was acting as regent to the throne, Evian wanted his family to be recognised as the rulers of igodo and the chiefs disagreed and sent an expendition for the prince. When they got to Ife they were welcomed, they stated their mission and after a test which they passed oduduwa told them that he couldn't go back with them since he was old and he had already established a kingdom in Ife, he gave them his son "Omonoyan" (now corrupted as Oranmiyan) to take his place.

When Oranmiyan arrived he met serious problems, the children of Evian refused to vacate the throne they said, Ogiame amioba (we have ogie, not Obas) refering to the fact that oranmiyan wasn't grounded in the bini customs and was pretty much ignorant of the bini ways. Oranmiyan was very angry as he wasn't even allowed into the ogiso palace he was living in the outskirt of the city. He named the City Ile Ibinu (land of vexation) later called Ibinu and corrupted to bini. Not long after oranmiyan decided to leave bini becos he believe only someone who understood the custom can lead the people. On his way out he stayed in Ehor and took the daughter of the chief there as his own, not before long she was pregnant and gave birth to a son, d was later called Eweka from his first uterance (owomika). That is how bini rulers started to be called Oba. The line of Evian d "ogiame" suvives till this day.

Oranmiyan went back to Oyo in anger, oduduwa promised him Ife, he went and established the Oyo kingdom and later came back to take Ife throne.

That is how yorubas and binis relate through oduduwa and oranmiyan. The binis were never answerable to th Ooni or any other Oba.

Ofcus the yorubas disagree with this account they believe oduduwa jumped down from heaven with a rope or maybe came from Egypt.

Ife also claims to have the heads of the Obas, I don't know how true that is, but it is possible, d bini obas also considered Ife as home since it was established by their father oduduwa. If that tradition ever existed then it is no longer followed.

If you really want to enjoy bini history then you should discuss a little with Areafada.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Ubenedictus(m): 8:21am On Jun 26, 2015
tonychristopher:

this isn't exactly true unless ofcuz u are talking about olden days warrior Kings. The oba does not marry a slave, he thus cannot grab someone and force her into the palace and make her wife.

There are a long range of persuation an Oba can use but outrigh force isn't usual and beneath the throne.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 10:32am On Jun 26, 2015
delishpot:

Does he have any rules and regulations apart from the obvious natural laws that guides humans and nature? Jesus is not a god or God, he never claimed to be he never asked to be served. He always said the glory or decesion making was not his to make but that of the one who sent him.
Anyhow, I avoid anything that will say dont eat oil, dont wear red, avoid your pregnant wife, avoid your menstruating daughter, dont whisper, dont sing at night, avoid crayfish, dont look up, dont sit to shit or stand to pee etc etc. I've got 2 words for such gods.......... Hell No
ok 2 more words and am done..Not Me..........ok two last words for such gods and I aint gonna say anything more smiley Fug off.
My Mom told me once about a juju that appeared in my great grand pas house once. It appeared like a stream, they woke up one morning and saw a small pond at the front of their house. He went to enquire and was told the juju has chosen him for blessing and favour if he will allow it stay and be served by my great grand pa and his family. My great grand pa( who wasnt a christian by the way) said ok, what does it require to serve it, the silly demon said just a virgin male and female. He asked is it a virgin goat or dog or cow? The silly thing said ohhh, a virgin human boy and girl.
my great grand said look here, I give you tonight, if you do not leave my compound, we will use you as compound refuse dump site. The woke up the next morning and it was gone. Some of these ish are more wicked than the one we call satan.

gringrin you should learn about the African Spirituality. ..I mentioned Orunmila try doing the needful
And don't make quick conclusions

As to ur story, that never happened. Talking juju? grin grin do you even know what juju is? I don laugh tire grin

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by delishpot: 7:02am On Jun 27, 2015
macof:

gringrin you should learn about the African Spirituality. ..I mentioned Orunmila try doing the needful

As to ur story, that never happened. Talking juju? grin grin do you even know what juju is? I don laugh tire grin

My guy the juju did not talk na grin grin grin Haba! As an African man, you should know he went to consult. When someone says "I went to ask or enquire" it means he went to consult. Na him and another dibia dey converse. My Mom told me it happened. she even showed me the place the water stayed. Its kind of a family story too. Passed from generation to generation. BTW, if you want me to think Orunmila exists, why cant you also believe that another diety can exist and choose a particular family/ tribe to worship it in exchange for prosperity and long life?
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 1:05pm On Jun 27, 2015
delishpot:

My guy the juju did not talk na grin grin grin Haba! As an African man, you should know he went to consult. When someone says "I went to ask or enquire" it means he went to consult. Na him and another dibia dey converse. My Mom told me it happened. she even showed me the place the water stayed. Its kind of a family story too. Passed from generation to generation. BTW, if you want me to think Orunmila exists, why cant you also believe that another diety can exist and choose a particular family/ tribe to worship it in exchange for prosperity and long life?
Oga forget deity for now, it's the message am preaching to you not the messenger
Jst as you have shown preference for the message of Jesus rather than his acclaimed divinity

Anyway as u be igbo, what about Amadioha, Ikenga?
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by delishpot: 1:16pm On Jun 27, 2015
macof:

Oga forget deity for now, it's the message am preaching to you not the messenger
Jst as you have shown preference for the message of Jesus rather than his acclaimed divinity

Anyway as u be igbo, what about Amadioha, Ikenga?

what do you know about them?
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 1:39pm On Jun 27, 2015
Ubenedictus:
according to the bini account yoruba and bini are brothers.

There is a story of how it is.

In the olden days the bini kingdom was called igodo or igodomigodo, the ruler was not called Oba, he was called ogiso, he was believed to be a descendant of the gods and had power over his subject, the line of ogisos is very long, but the last ogiso wasn't blessed with many sons, he had just one son. I think his name was Elekederan (i'm not sure I got it correctly), anyway the other wife of the ogiso claimed the oracle said the prince must be banished. Without much ado he was banish, he left the city in the company of some "izebus", after some years of jorneying he landed in present day Ife and change his name to "Imazodu'wa", i.e "i didn't miss the path of properity", (which was later corrupted to "oduduwa"wink there he was famed for his tradition powers, his healing and his spiritual prowess. The soon became king taking the traditional title Oba.

Back home his father had died and Evian a member of the royal family was acting as regent to the throne, Evian wanted his family to be recognised as the rulers of igodo and the chiefs disagreed and sent an expendition for the prince. When they got to Ife they were welcomed, they stated their mission and after a test which they passed oduduwa told them that he couldn't go back with them since he was old and he had already established a kingdom in Ife, he gave them his son "Omonoyan" (now corrupted as Oranmiyan) to take his place.

When Oranmiyan arrived he met serious problems, the children of Evian refused to vacate the throne they said, Ogiame amioba (we have ogie, not Obas) refering to the fact that oranmiyan wasn't grounded in the bini customs and was pretty much ignorant of the bini ways. Oranmiyan was very angry as he wasn't even allowed into the ogiso palace he was living in the outskirt of the city. He named the City Ile Ibinu (land of vexation) later called Ibinu and corrupted to bini. Not long after oranmiyan decided to leave bini becos he believe only someone who understood the custom can lead the people. On his way out he stayed in Ehor and took the daughter of the chief there as his own, not before long she was pregnant and gave birth to a son, d was later called Eweka from his first uterance (owomika). That is how bini rulers started to be called Oba. The line of Evian d "ogiame" suvives till this day.

Oranmiyan went back to Oyo in anger, oduduwa promised him Ife, he went and established the Oyo kingdom and later came back to take Ife throne.

That is how yorubas and binis relate through oduduwa and oranmiyan. The binis were never answerable to th Ooni or any other Oba.

Ofcus the yorubas disagree with this account they believe oduduwa jumped down from heaven with a rope or maybe came from Egypt.

Ife also claims to have the heads of the Obas, I don't know how true that is, but it is possible, d bini obas also considered Ife as home since it was established by their father oduduwa. If that tradition ever existed then it is no longer followed.

If you really want to enjoy bini history then you should discuss a little with Areafada.

Thanks for the info ....I know believe that oduduwa was a benin man and Yoruba said he came from east of ife which is benin
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 1:51pm On Jun 27, 2015
delishpot:

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 1:52pm On Jun 27, 2015
macof:

Bros ur still naive in mauve

There are juju that talk all depends on the level of juju but all are demon and dirty
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 1:55pm On Jun 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

Bros ur still naive in mauve

There are juju that talk all depends on the level of juju but all are demon and dirty

ffor saying juju is demonic and dirty I just have to ignore whatever you have to say
It's obvious you are an Abrahmmic puppet

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 2:12pm On Jun 27, 2015
macof:

ffor saying juju is demonic and dirty I just have to ignore whatever you have to say
It's obvious you are an Abrahmmic puppet

I am not saying that African religion is bad... No I am a free thinker but what is bad is the act of killing human to make sacrifice that's all

I am an igbo man and we have term for God and its chukwu so if you do the normal thing in any religion is OK

I will not condemn any religion cos its only God that knows true worshippers
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Ubenedictus(m): 9:13pm On Jun 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

Thanks for the info ....I know believe that oduduwa was a benin man and Yoruba said he came from east of ife which is benin

some yorubas actually hold that he came down from the sky as a God with 401 dieties.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by tonychristopher: 9:19pm On Jun 27, 2015
Ubenedictus:

some yorubas actually hold that he came down from the sky as a God with 401 dieties.

Does that make sense to you
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Ubenedictus(m): 11:43pm On Jun 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

my dear, people are emotion about the traditions and stuff they believe. I try not to make judgement on other peoples tradition.

While I don't believe oduduwa jumped down from heaven I have no problem with those who do.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by Ubenedictus(m): 11:43pm On Jun 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

my dear, people are emotional about the traditions and stuff they believe. I try not to make judgement on other peoples tradition.

While I don't believe oduduwa jumped down from heaven I have no problem with those who do.
Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 11:52pm On Jun 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

I am not saying that African religion is bad... No I am a free thinker but what is bad is the act of killing human to make sacrifice that's all

I am an igbo man and we have term for God and its chukwu so if you do the normal thing in any religion is OK

I will not condemn any religion cos its only God that knows true worshippers
That was back when human sacrifice was not immoral or do they still do that in your village?
We can't keep using our modern morality to judge the activities of old...to them it was not that bad

No spiritual cult or religion is free from human sacrifice

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace by macof(m): 11:57pm On Jun 27, 2015
Ubenedictus:

Actually you are mixing things. .. this Oduduwa is not same as the oduduwa that became king
The king came with 400 people not dieties

The oduduwa that came from heaven came to set the formation of the world, brought existence to this part of the universe. ....this bit is cosmology not history

401 deities are what we worship in Yorubaland but it has nothing to do with the Olufe's coming

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished / Meet Baba Kekere Of Oyo Kingdom Who Served 3 Past Alaafins For 77 Years / Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.