Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (545522 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 11:12am On Mar 26, 2009
@ gongo aso

My brother is looking at a University in Kansas.There are more questions i need to ask you guys.

I see this thread helping alot more ppl out there.   .   .   Together we can make it happen for us all!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 11:26am On Mar 26, 2009
US Student Visa Applicants (for F-1 and M-1 visas) - Overview

If you are going to the U.S. primarily for tourism, but want to take a short course of study of less than 18 hours per week, you may be able to do so on a visitor visa. You should inquire at the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If your course of study is more than 18 hours a week, you will need a student visa. Please read this information for general information on how to apply for an F1 or M1 student visa. For additional student related information, visit the EducationUSA website created by the Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to learn about educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, opportunities for scholars, financial aid, testing, admissions, and much more.

In most countries, first time student visa applicants are required to appear for an in-person interview. However, each embassy and consulate sets its own interview policies and procedures regarding student visas. Students should consult Embassy web sites or call for specific application instructions.

Keep in mind that June, July, and August are the busiest months in most consular sections, and interview appointments are the most difficult to get during that period. Students need to plan ahead to avoid having to make repeat visits to the Embassy. To the extent possible, students should bring the documents suggested below, as well as any other documents that might help establish their ties to the local community.

Changes introduced shortly after September 11, 2001 involve extensive and ongoing review of visa issuing practices as they relate to our national security. It is important to apply for your visa well in advance of your travel departure date.

When Do I Need to Apply for My Student Visa?

Students are encouraged to apply for their visa early to provide ample time for visa processing. Students may apply for their visa as soon as they are prepared to do so.
The consular officer may need to get special clearances depending on the course of study and nationality of the student. This can take some additional time. For more information on applicants who may have additional processing requirements see Special Processing Requirements.
Students should note that Embassies and Consulates are able to issue your student visa 120 days or less, in advance of the course of study registration date. If you apply for your visa more than 120 days prior to your start date or registration date as provided on the Form I-20, the Embassy or Consulate will hold your application until it is able to issue the visa. Consular officials will use that extra time to accomplish any of the necessary special clearances or other processes that may be required.
Students are advised of the Department of Homeland Security regulation which requires that all initial or beginning students enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the course of study start/report date as shown on the Form I-20. Please consider this date carefully when making travel plans to the U.S.

A beginning student who wants an earlier entry into the U.S. (more than 30 days prior to the course start date), must qualify for, and obtain a visitor visa. A prospective student notation will be shown on his/her visitor visa and the traveler will need to make the intent to study clear to the U.S. immigration inspector at port of entry. Before beginning any studies, he or she must obtain a change of classification, filing Form I-539, Application for Change of Nonimmigrant Status, and also submit the required Form I-20 to the Department of Homeland Security office where the application is made. Please be aware that there is an additional fee of $140 for this process, and that one may not begin studies until the change of classification is approved.

Continuing students may apply for a new visa at any time, as long as they have been maintaining student status and their SEVIS records are current. Continuing students may also enter the U.S. at any time before their classes start.
What is SEVIS and SEVP? What should you know about it?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is designed to help the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State better monitor school and exchange programs and F, M and J category visitors. Exchange visitor and student information is maintained in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is an Internet-based system that maintains accurate and current information on non-immigrant students (F and M visa), exchange visitors (J visa), and their dependents (F-2, M-2, and J-2). SEVIS enables schools and program sponsors to transmit mandatory information and event notifications via the Internet, to the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State (DOS) throughout a student or exchange visitor's stay in the United States. Select SEVIS to go to the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Internet site and learn more.

All student applicants must have a SEVIS generated I-20 issued by an educational institution approved by DHS, which they submit when they are applying for their student visa. The consular officer will need to verify your I-20 record electronically through the SEVIS system in order to process your student visa application. Unless otherwise exempt, participants whose SEVIS I-20 was issued on or after September 1, 2004 must pay a SEVIS I-901 Fee to the Department of Homeland Security for each individual program. The fee may be paid either through a special website, via Western Union, or by mail.See SEVIS-901 Fee or SEVIS for further information on how to pay the fee.

Notice: Effective 10/27/2008 the SEVIS fees will increase. To find out what the increase will be for your particular exchange program please see the SEVP Fact Sheet.

Applying for a Student Visa

As part of the visa application process, an interview at the embassy consular section is required for visa applicants from age 14 through 79. Persons age 13 and younger, and age 80 and older, generally do not require an interview, unless requested by embassy or consulate. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so early visa application is strongly encouraged It is important to remember that applying early and providing the requested documents does not guarantee that the student will receive a visa. Visa wait times for interview appointments and visa processing time information for each U.S. Embassy or Consulate worldwide is available on our website at Visa Wait Times, and on most embassy websites. During the visa application process, usually at the interview, an ink-free, digital fingerprint scan will be quickly taken. Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant's interview by a Consular Officer. Also, because each student’s personal and academic situation is different, two students applying for same visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different documents. For that reason, the guidelines that follow are general and can be abridged or expanded by consular officers overseas, depending on each student’s situation.

Required Documentation

Each applicant for a student visa must submit these forms and documentation, and submit fees as explained below:

Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students or Form I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students. You will need to submit a SEVIS generated Form, I-20, which was provided to you by your school.You and your school official must sign the I-20 form. All students, as well as their spouses and dependents must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), an Internet-based system that maintains accurate and current information on non-immigrant students and exchange visitors and their dependents (F/M-2 visa holders). Your school is responsible for entering your information for the I-20 student visa form into SEVIS. Students will also have to pay an SEVIS I-901 fee for each program of study. Questions regarding your exchange program should be directly to your program sponsor;
A completed application, Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant,Form DS-156, together with a Form DS-158. Both forms must be completed and signed. Some applicants will also be required to complete and sign Form DS-157. A separate form is needed for children, even if they are included in a parent's passport. The DS-156 must be the March 2006 date, electronic "e-form application." Select Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-156 to access the electronic version of the form DS-156.

An interview at the embassy consular section is required for almost all visa applicants. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so early visa application is strongly encouraged. During the visa interview, an ink-free, digital fingerprint scan will be quickly taken, as well as a digital photo. Some applicants will need additional screening, and will be notified when they apply.

A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must complete an application.

One (1) 2x2 photograph. See the required photo format explained in nonimmigrant photograph requirements;
A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee, a visa issuance fee if applicable (Please consult the Visa Reciprocity Table) and a separate SEVIS I-901 fee receipt. While all F-visa applicants must pay the MRV fee, including dependents, only the F-1 principal applicants must pay the SEVIS fee.
Students who are authorized for Optional Practical Training (OPT) must have an I-20 endorsed for OPT, and provide a USCIS-issued Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

All applicants should be prepared to provide:

Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended;
scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.;
financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

For more info go to: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html#apply

Cheers! wink

7 Likes

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 27, 2009
Nice one Gongo aso,very helpful tips,thanks for keeping the thread alive

@ Rachiwise i just added u on YIM,so we can chat wenever u com online, cheers
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 7:24pm On Mar 27, 2009
hi pple!
i ll do add u guys on YIM. the addy ends with "_teejay@yahoo.com" (thats my regular mail.dont usually display it cos of spammers).
@femilangy
so the wait for the i20 begins,
as soon as it comes, the US consular should prepare for me, a cup of coffee during the interview wont be outta place, u know grin cheesy grin

@post
does the consular request for NYSC discharge cert @the interview

jorge1980:

@brein , what do you mean by ' they dont stamp passports again' in your earliers post?

mr brein
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by babyfaze16(m): 12:38am On Mar 28, 2009
Mehn the thing is that u should go with all mind dat u gonna get and the best time to always get it is during september to december cos must ppl don't apply then, and they give very well, if u have any question buzz me

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 29, 2009
@ Gongo aso yes ohhhhhhhhh grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy wink wink smiley
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by elctroguru(m): 3:28am On Mar 30, 2009
I have a question here about US transit Visa?
Has anyone applied for US transit Visa anywhere maybe in Nigeria or Abroad?
How is the interview and what is the probability that someone will be issued the Visa?
Its under C1/C2 visa,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adexchamp(m): 1:09pm On Apr 03, 2009
Poster,I just want to ask if the US Embassy really confirms Statement of Accounts for student visa category.

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 3:45pm On Apr 03, 2009
adexchamp:

Poster,I just want to ask if the US Embassy really confirms Statement of Accounts for student visa category.

well to answer your question with my little knowledge, yes i think the school does verify the statememnt of account before issuing the i20 form. but as for the embassy, i dont think they verify cos they expect the school to have crosschecked and also, they do not hold on to your application documents, the interview is done in a day during which you ll be asked to show the bank statement, when do they now have the time to verify

hope your question was answered.
peace.

3 Likes

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Akinbaba(m): 4:49pm On Apr 03, 2009
@ adex champ,i really doubt the embassy confirms your bank statement,but as gongo aso said,the school might have to confirm 'cos you will be sending them a copy before they issue the i-20,but sincerely speaking i doubt either case.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:57pm On Apr 03, 2009
No they dont,but they can easily tell a fake bank statement from a genuine one, grin cheesy wink wink i can tell so why wont the consular be able to? wink wink

Dont try faking a bank statement u might get banned from going to the US for 25 years, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by elctroguru(m): 9:38pm On Apr 03, 2009
Has anyone applied for US transit Visa anywhere maybe in Nigeria or Abroad?
How is the interview and what is the probability that someone will be issued the Visa?
Its under C1/C2 visa,
Any response will be appreciated.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adexchamp(m): 12:12pm On Apr 04, 2009
Thanks everyone for the useful suggestions and advice.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 10:33pm On Apr 04, 2009
We r still awaiting the I-20 form from the school ! How far with u guys?? Hope there is good news from ur ends?

Cheers! wink
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 05, 2009
The wait continues, but i am not expecting the i-20 until after the fall semester application deadline which is may 1st.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Goshen360(m): 1:22am On Apr 06, 2009
hello frds,

i suggest this thread be answered by pple u have passed thru a particular stage or the other to get to the USA. howeva, there are different rules and preparations that applies to different immigrant or non-immigrant visa.

immigrant visa. This are visa issues to pple who are moving from their country of birth to come and reside in the united states with all documents in tact. These pple are being filed for the immigrant visa by either parent or relatives.

non-immigrant visa. This are visas issued for a particular purpose in the US. This could be for the purpose of studies, business, etc. One is therefore given a particular period to stay and come back to your home country.

i guess we post more questions in the direction we need so i can direct an answer to such, ok frrds

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 4:49pm On Apr 06, 2009
@ Goshen 360.

Thanks for ur piece. I will like to know more on the USA student visa which i guess falls under the non-immigration visas.I have the general info(which i have pasted above),but i would like to know more on the interview questions,the documents to have handy ,things to do b4 the interview date . . . . .etc.

i will be glad if you can give more info on this.

Thanks! wink
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adexchamp(m): 8:06pm On Apr 06, 2009
goshen360:

hello frds,

i suggest this thread be answered by pple u have passed thru a particular stage or the other to get to the USA. howeva, there are different rules and preparations that applies to different immigrant or non-immigrant visa.

immigrant visa. This are visa issues to pple who are moving from their country of birth to come and reside in the united states with all documents in tact. These pple are being filed for the immigrant visa by either parent or relatives.

non-immigrant visa. This are visas issued for a particular purpose in the US. This could be for the purpose of studies, business, etc. One is therefore given a particular period to stay and come back to your home country.

i guess we post more questions in the direction we need so i can direct an answer to such, ok frrds

Hello goshen,

Pls i would like to know more about the immigrant visa category,i happens to have a sister based in the US and she promised to file for me once her citizenship status is approved and given to her,so kindly tell me how long it takes and the posiblility of making it to the US.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adexchamp(m): 8:18pm On Apr 07, 2009
For all your enquiries about studying in the US,visit www.bruscan.com,they have the answers you need anda trial will surely convince you.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 8:13pm On Apr 08, 2009
@goshen
u r welcome to the thread. u can as well be our resident expert, u were the author of the visa tip documents i posted earlier. how about you start by answering some pending questions above like the one i asked regarding the embassy asking about nysc discharge cert at the interview?
hope we gain one or two things from your wealth of experience and knowledge.
peace
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 11, 2009
@ house,i just got a mail from the school asking me to send a copy of my transcript to world evaluation service(WES) for a course-by-course evaluation, shocked shocked shocked shocked at this time when it takes time to start the process of another transcript from school and now send to WES,that says it takes them 6-8weeks for evaluation.men i am so confused undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided i really dont know what to do,any advice house?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 8:46pm On Apr 13, 2009
@Femilangy

This is a serious one o. . . .not at this stage that all youu need is your I-20.

Didnt you apply to another school?? this school is trying to be a hard nut to crack.

I must tell you for all my pips that i know that went for studies abroad i have never heard of such. . . didnt you go through the school's requirements etc before applying??

This is something that should have been stipulated in their requirements for admission or collection of I-20 form right on their website.

I really dont know o! shocked
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by olaolaking: 12:50pm On Apr 14, 2009
The major problem with us is that many of us do not know what the consular wants to hear at the point of interview. American interview for student visa can be so easy if you meet up with the requirement. But you still have to say what the American consular wants to hear from you and that remains the secret.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by olaolaking: 1:03pm On Apr 14, 2009
In my next post, I will be giving basics things you need to apply for American students visa.
It can be of help as I see that it is not as hard as people think when you have all the basic things you need. If you have all of them at hand, THE MAJOR THING IS THE INTERVIEW WHICH YOU MUST PASS.
If you have everything but fail the interview, you will be denied
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Sonye(f): 6:48pm On Apr 14, 2009
I'm still on the first stage. that is preparing for gre exams which i am writing in 2 months time. in the mean time, i am getting documents ready to be evaluated.
for those that have done GRE? How is it like? How long does the exam take?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vic4vi(m): 7:39pm On Apr 14, 2009
i got admission into to 2 college in the usa on one is on full tuition scholarship the other is 100% financial aid.
do i still need to show the consulate that i have sufficient fund to sustain me throughout thr program considering the fact that i am not paying money.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 3:12pm On Apr 16, 2009
Finally, the long awaited I-20 form for my bro is received!

Pls i would like to know the next steps to be taken.

Femilangy, how far with your stuff?

@VIC4VI

Lucky U! U still have to show that u can sustain your self over there.Living expenses in some schools abroad can even be more that their school fees.It really depends on the location of the school etc.

Cheers!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 3:32pm On Apr 16, 2009
@femilangy
some schools do require transcripts to be evaluated by some accredited bodies such as WES(world evaluation services) 'specially if ur degree is in a feild of study that doesnt deal with GPs such as medicine, pharmacy and sorts. but i suppose the school should have that requirement spelt out initially b4 u applied

@olaolaking
we r awaiting ur posts

Sonye:

I'm still on the first stage. that is preparing for gre exams which i am writing in 2 months time. in the mean time, i am getting documents ready to be evaluated.
for those that have done GRE? How is it like? How long does the exam take?

GRE is a 'no long tin' cool
two hours+, u r done.
you have two sessions - verbal and quantitative
quantitative is usually very easy (meant to be a score booster in my view) while the verbal is the 'koko' which u really have to study hard for and start preparing now if u havent started  yet.
u may drop your mail addy, i'll try to forward you some matls i used to prepare.

@rachiwise
u should be scheduling visa interview now and pay ur sevis.

@vic4vi
to the best of my knowledge, you are required to show proof of the funding cos most financial aids are subject to your academic performance and as such may be withdrawn anytime, so u need to prove u ll be able to support yourself should that become the case. I was also required to show proof of financial support despite getting aid from the sch.
cheers cool
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by prince84(m): 5:59pm On Apr 16, 2009
@ Thread
I Dont really know much but i will add my own 2cents.

We applying for any visa(F1,J1 or which other type) try and follow these rules and there are chances that you will be successful

1.Dress well
2.Think Fast,be smart and do not tell stories that cannot be backed by documentation.
3.When answering questions look the consular straight and the eyes,give direct answers and do not fidget unnecessarily.
4.If you don't know an answer to a question, just say so, do not act or look desperate, look self assured and always keep a smile on your face.

Do not forget any of these documents
1.I-20 forms
2.offer letter
3.SEVIS I-901 forms and receipt of payment
4.GRE,GMAT or TOEFL results which ever applies to you
5.Financial guarantee letter
6.Bank statement(More than one will be good and try and explain each of the statements and there sources)
7.Ties to your country(Job offer,landed property,title,wedding certificates.etc)
8.International passports
9.Visa application forms and a lot of passport photographs
10.Good luck.
Arrange all documents in proper other and tag them so you can provide them as soon as they are asked for and you don't have to start scattering documents everywhere.

I will going for my second masters degree in Pittsburg,KS in August 2009, so i am wishing everyone who is applying including myself ,the best of Luck.

7 Likes

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kevd2: 6:55pm On Apr 20, 2009
Pls, i have been asked by Penn State University to provide a bank statement showing $41,800 for 1st year funding and letters showing intention to cover the same amount for the next two years.Pls i would like to know whther i would pay that amount for 3yrs and pls what is the average duration of a maters program in the us.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 21, 2009
kev-d:

Pls, i have been asked by Penn State University to provide a bank statement showing $41,800 for 1st year funding and letters showing intention to cover the same amount for the next two years.Pls i would like to know whther i would pay that amount for 3yrs and pls what is the average duration of a maters program in the us.

Usually most masters in the US goes for 2years,depending on the school,so check with pennstate to find out.

Secondly you will need to provide a bank statement to that said amount to show you are capable of funding your education on getting to the US,if you have a sponsor,ask your sponsor to give you his bankstatement for the last 3months and send it to the school,but make sure your sponsor have at least that amount or even more in his account.
Hope this helps
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by prince84(m): 2:33pm On Apr 21, 2009
@ Kev-d.
You definitely need to send a bank statement or at least a certified letter of financial support.Most universities require this especially for graduate programmes.

But there are cheaper universities in the US, with Graduate programmes of 9 to 12 months.you just have to be patient while searching.
i will recommend the following universities to you
Pittsburgh state university,Kansas
North Kentucky University
Alabama A&M
Wichita state University
These universities are quiet affordable especially,there graduate programmes and admission procedures are more relaxed.
All the best!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.