Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,322 members, 7,808,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (233) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (545499 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by syndikate: 8:23pm On Jul 07, 2011
@dizyfrenzy
u mentioned u can help book an appointment despite al d website challenges? Am in nid of ur help because d issue am havin is viewin appointment dates, l gt an error msg wen l gt 2 dat page. Can l av u e-mail, mine is syndikate@yahoo.com.
If any1 as his contact, kindly share.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Abats4naija: 8:31pm On Jul 07, 2011
@naggy well said. iv gained a lot from your input. thanks. @dizifrenzy please post the advise u want to give on the thread so we can all learn from it.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2011
phy:

@ Cleverdude, i kind of agree with dizy. Try to same something tangible about the school that you will be attending. Something about the faculty, the researches in your dept, the options or concentration, something that makes the school a better choice. Also note that internet is not a sufficient place to discover school; you could tell him something like my father's friend or uncle who works as a consultant at say NIMR suggested the school, infact he graduated from the school. About the job tell him you want to come back to in a place like NIMR, VOM and any other research institute and ultimately become a lecturer in the field in other to help the younger ones. If you feel that your stmts that was not in order is an issue, pls correct that.
A friend of mine told me he was asked why he chose CSU, he answered 'i love the weather', the VO was kind enough to ask whatelse, but he was still buttressing the good weather condition in CA, he was bounced but got it the second time. I wish you the best.

@cleverdude

Medical Research Institute like mine,  grin grin grin You are welcome man but you will be good in one of those Nigeria premier university or other organization that has to do with you impacting knowledge to others. You need to know that biological science is good in one of those kind of institutes but not in medical research. We the scientist are Lab Rat. Gather more info man.

Talking about the location, the weather and stuffs like that to me is not acceptable. Please, let not talk about those stuffs unless you are going for meteorology or you are asked why do you choose that state.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Djdammy21: 11:06pm On Jul 07, 2011
@House

I'm happy for everyone that have gotten his/her Visa!

Please! let talk on most asked question, how do you hear about this school,

Please talk about people that want to study Other courses different from science, Most specially Human Resource Management, And any other Management courses,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by dizyfrenzy(m): 9:44am On Jul 08, 2011
@good people of NL, wanna use this opportunity to appeal to all those who added me on YM or those that need my help in one way or the other, pls bear wit me, Am in NYSC camp in Ise Emure in Ekiti State. The network here is horrible and most of d time i cant sign in to YM. But am trying my best, so please if ure msging me and ure not getting any replies, its cos of d network. Like i said, am gonna do all i can to help as many genuine F1 applicants get their visas thru free training,advice and mock interviews. my number is 07036463101. Feel free to call or txt if u need help, thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Djdammy21: 11:12am On Jul 08, 2011
dizyfrenzy:

@good people of NL, wanna use this opportunity to appeal to all those who added me on YM or those that need my help in one way or the other, pls bear wit me, Am in NYSC camp in Ise Emure in Ekiti State. The network here is horrible and most of d time i cant sign in to YM. But am trying my best, so please if ure msging me and ure not getting any replies, its cos of d network. Like i said, am gonna do all i can to help as many genuine F1 applicants get their visas thru free training,advice and mock interviews. my number is 07036463101. Feel free to call or txt if u need help, thanks

can anyone please tell me recent question on(Human Resource Management) or question that have being frequently asked by VO in Abuja during F1 VISA interview cos my interview is fast approaching. Thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adebaxton(m): 11:55am On Jul 08, 2011
If one get denied a visa can i 1 still use the same I-20 and also fill in a new DS160 when scheduling another appointment
?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nellywho(f): 12:40pm On Jul 08, 2011
HI GUYS I HAVE AN INTERVIEW ON THE I8TH OF AUG AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET, AM NEW HERE grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nellywho(f): 12:54pm On Jul 08, 2011
Thumbs up to you guyz and I salute the great minds on here! I'm new to this forum and all this yl, I've been reading various posts and contributions from you guyz. Please, does anybody have an idea of what life is in California-San Diego. Don't have any idea of what to expect there cos it seems I would be the only one going there from Naijacry. Please, may I know who else is going there or to cities like San francisco or Los Angeles?

My interview comes July 19 in Lag (10am), I pray I made it!

Thanks

I wish U the best of luck dear, am also going to san diego,my interview date is 18th aug so i guess i ll see u there, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Tgud3: 3:41pm On Jul 08, 2011
@nellywho Am going to los angeles and also my interview too is on july19 in lag. Lets talk and rub minds together,i believe we can make it. My email address is adebowaledisu@yahoo.com
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by GboyegaD(m): 4:17pm On Jul 08, 2011
Please I want to ask a question. I want to go with my mum's statement of account as well to support that of my sponsor since my sponsor does not bear same surname with me however, she has just about $16k which is lower than the $24k on my I 20. Does she also have to give me an affidavit of financial support?

Moreso, she holds a Permanent Residence however, while filling my DS - 160, there was a portion that asked for our family members who are based in the US but I only supplied my sister's details as my mum is currently in Nigeria. Hope this isn't contradictory and if I were asked about my family members in the US, do I state only my sister who is a citizen or I should also mention my mum and say she is presently on a visit to Nigeria?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 08, 2011
GboyegaD:

Please I want to ask a question. I want to go with my mum's statement of account as well to support that of my sponsor since my sponsor does not bear same surname with me however, she has just about $16k which is lower than the $24k on my I 20. Does she also have to give me an affidavit of financial support?
yh, u nid her to make 4 u an affidavit of support to prove to the interviewing consular officer dat her support is willingly and should be contacted if u eventually turn a public charge in the u.s, ,my 2 cent!.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Saylawchar(m): 6:50pm On Jul 08, 2011
hey pple, pls advise me on the normal age to apply for student visa in american embassy? i have 26 on my passport and i dont know if its ideal to go in for visa interview, pls i need your urgent suggestion pls
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 7:19pm On Jul 08, 2011
@HOUSE: SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES PLEASE POST YOUR INTERVIEWS SO WE CAN LEARN O. aBEG.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 7:22pm On Jul 08, 2011
@Naggy, Dizifrenzy: Can one request a new I-20 after paying SEVIS fee and scheduling appointment? I am asking because I have changed my sponsor from a company (where my father works as the GM) to my father but the I-20 i have reads 'sponsorship' and not 'family sponsorship' as sources of funds on the right hand side? Please respond.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by phy: 7:23pm On Jul 08, 2011
Saylawchar:

hey pple, pls advise me on the normal age to apply for student visa in american embassy? i have 26 on my passport and i dont know if its ideal to go in for visa interview, pls i need your urgent suggestion pls

I dont really think anybody care about your age, however you should be able to defend it. For example, someone who finished high school at 17 and you are going to the embassy at 26 for F1 visa for undergrad, you will need to able explain to the VO what you were doing during the 'out of school' period.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by phy: 7:31pm On Jul 08, 2011
USBound:

@Naggy, Dizifrenzy: Can one request a new I-20 after paying SEVIS fee and scheduling appointment? I am asking because I have changed my sponsor from a company (where my father works as the GM) to my father but the I-20 i have reads 'sponsorship' and not 'family sponsorship' as sources of funds on the right hand side? Please respond.

I can tell you that the embassy does not have access to the statement you sent to school, but i can't give a precise answer as to the implication of ur I20 reading 'sponsorship' and not 'family sponsorship'
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Jamsmither: 8:35pm On Jul 08, 2011
@house,pls i need your help.some1 just used my receipt number at my back for another applicant without my kownledge,when i get to schedule appointment and i was ask to fill in my receipt number and i did,the next thng i c is no valid receipt can be found.pls is it possible for another person to use it.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 8:41pm On Jul 08, 2011
Jamsmither:

Pls,did u just book 4 appointment just of recent,cuz i need a interview date b4 july23.

@Jamsmither: I booked since June. It's not that recent. mid-june I think. Have you tried sending an email to the embassy?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Saylawchar(m): 3:22am On Jul 09, 2011
phy:

I dont really think anybody care about your age, however you should be able to defend it. For example, someone who finished high school at 17 and you are going to the embassy at 26 for F1 visa for undergrad, you will need to able explain to the VO what you were doing during the 'out of school' period.

thanks for your concern, i can always defend it because i went to a professional school to obtain another higher classification. meanwhile, what is the best method to pay for SEVIS and what are those documents to support one's interview apart from bank statement of account because my dad is my sponsor.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Saylawchar(m): 3:25am On Jul 09, 2011
pls i meant higher qualification.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by myforumid3: 3:54am On Jul 09, 2011
USBound:

@HOUSE: SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES PLEASE POST YOUR INTERVIEWS SO WE CAN LEARN O. aBEG.
Thanks to my friend Shavel for informing the House.

@House, I am back with the good news of my victory in details. Sorry for the delay as I have been trying to inquire the best flight ticket (cheap, yet quality 1-way route flight to TX) to book. Need assistance from previous successful nlders currently in the State.

Lemme start from the difficulty experienced in choosing SERVIS Fee Payment option- 1)I didn't wanna travel all the way to Lagos from my state and then to Seme border to experience all the hassles and problems nlders ve been faced with, so I ruled that option out. 2) I have a domiciliary account with Diamond Bank so I thought of using a foreign bank draft but the branch was not very sure about the process, so I was left with just one option - 3)Holla @friends in the States to make the payment. After effecting the bank wire transfer to him, He finally made the payment via WUQP on Friday 5, july, so I was checking the SERVIS site like every 30mins to confirm if my payment have been received as @Tue or few hrs to my appointment.  

I learnt from a ndler's post and All my docs were arranged into[i] Immigration[/i] (Passport,I-20,Appointment letter etc),  Education (BSc, Official Transcript in the school's envelope, Award Letters( I finished the best grad student of my class), GRE, TOEFL, etc) and Finance (Affidavit of Sponsor from a High Court, sponsor's bank Cover Letter and Statement spanning last 6months showing bal. like N8-9m), except the SERVIS fee receipt which made me check the site every 30mins. (Pls pay very early oh, ). It finally reflected by 10:17pm abj time and na printer wan com be wahala (finally printed it sha) and I decided to relieve myself of the unneccessary tension by watching a nice film like 21.
By 12:04am, I carried my 2-page "Visa Likely Q&A" Prep paper, go tru some of the areas I nor dey fluently flow  well; put alarm for 4:15AM.
By 12:28am, na kabash(prayer) and sleep get am cos my destiny is to be decided in few hours time by one officer (God forbid say make d person be d chinko!). ABEG ABUJA APPLICANTS, AVOID THIS LADY BY ALL COST BY GOIN TO THE REST ROOM, NO MATTER HOW COMPLETE YOUR DOCS ARE OR/AND HOW CONFIDENT YOU FINK YOU ARE

Too much Ac woke me up like 4:07, I enta bathroom dey kabash mostly in tongues (lol) till like 4:52AM, I baf sharply, waka comot for bathroom dey sing praise for already gotten Victory. (Trust me, confidence full my body anyhow, after my spirit don charge wella or abi na afta all the tips this great thread don give me). I recall I halla on top my voice "nothin dey stop me jare, !".

I reach embassy by 6:03am as number 5 person or so. Sat down close to someone who asked me if I know nl, I answered yes and to my shock, na cleverdude i dey yan with! See shaking and hugging nah, (lol). We waited till like 8:15 or so, see rush when d security say "queue up", oboy yea (no dolling oh, me and cleverdude grab 4th and 6th place on the line).

Make I fast track go  interview proper: after all security and biometric checks, we sat and it was next, next, next, Chinko dey counter 6 dey deny family and individual anyhow (all her interview dey take up to 15-35mins, u go fear fear), counter 9 dizzyfrenzy told us nor dey, so we try observe who dey give visa anyhow make We pray to get that person. We observed say na counter 8 (fine man) and 7 (sweet lady) we pray to get.

Next! Next!! Next!!! Before I know it, e won reach my turn oh, As my heart wan cut, I enta rest room sharp sharp do some kabashing in tongues again(lol). As I show like dis, na only 1 sweet family dey immediately before me; they finally meet the sweet guy(window cool; I just dey pray inside so the Chinko go still dey querrel interview with one govt official applicant so the sweet lady fit halla next for me. Finally, God answer my prayer as the sweet lady say next, e nor reach 3sec afta I hear "Next" from sweet lady (counter 7) before the Chinko dey deny that big man. Wetin concern me jor, I focus on the sweet smile and face in front of me so my 2-3mins 4-question interview went like this:

Me and the VO: Good Morning (I nor know who greet first agn)

VO: Can you pass your Passport and Applications over? (pointing at my hand containing docs like 1-20,Passport and confirmation page from the biometrics person)
Me: I pass the docs sharply.

VO: Can you pass your certificates, transcripts, score sheets and financial docs pls?
Me: I pass everything as I arrange them above.

VO: extracting data from my I-20 or Confirmation page and Typing on her pc; then was perusing through my education docs first (I interrupted her to explain that the "Award Letter" located beneath my BEng Cert. was given because I finished as the best grad student of my class), she read through it, smiling and saying "Congratulations".
Me: Thank you

VO: Why did you wanna do a graduate degree in petroleum engineering?
Me: I gather boldness and started explaining with confidence: " There are lots of opportunities in the Nigerian Oil & Gas Industry and these opportunities are bound to increase with the signing and passing into law of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) presently at the Senate; Its very paramount to acquire the required expertise via a graduate studies at Bleep University which would strategically position me to take advantage of these opportunities when I return to Nigeria"  She was just smiling, my belle full with joy for my composure, confidence and answer.

VO: Who's your sponsor?
ME: My Father

VO: (opened the transcript envelope and was going[b] thru my courses from yr1 to end[/b]); she then asked "What is Differential Equation"?
ME: I was shocked, then built my momentum again to refire a confident reply to the best of my knowledge at that point in time "Differential Equation is an equation relating the change in one parameter/variable due to a change in another, more explaining till she start to give me that sweet smile again"

VO: Flipping to yr-2 course page or so in my transcript, she asked: "What is Fluid Mechanics?"
ME: I scatter the answer for her, describing forces and energy losses associated with fluid flow process in pipes, conduit, restrictions, " She interrupted me smiling again saying "I studied Fluid Mechanics and you are very correct with your explanation, you are truly intelligent. bla bla bla",

Then, suddenly she turned sideway to the cupboard to get a red/pink card and a white paper, giving me my docs without the passport and saying "Pick your visa Friday Morning at this address and make sure you go to the USA with your I-20 so you wont ve any probs, I nor care wetin she dey yan again as overflowing joy don full my belle"

See me see yankee education, Dreams can really come to pass.

Thanks to my friend dizzyfrenzy for the demo interview I had with him as It made me put finishing touches to a few of my prepped answers and to all nlders for your tips, ideas, encouragement, prayers and wishes. The God who did this for me and other nlders would do this for you all. There is no way you wud go through this whole thread or even half of it that you mentality and confidence wont improve. I took time to study it from page 1 to end and I guess it paid off big time.

So for those of you asking and worrying if you would be asked academic questions, I think this is only done in Abj as my friend dizzy pointed out and its based on what course you are goin for or what courses you did on your transcript. So science/engr students shud expect sci/math questions and management questions for management students!

Get your docs right and well arranged, be confident when replying any question (I guess the way I distracted her with my Award Letter and how I answered the 1st question made all the difference that she didnt bother asking "What are your plans after grad" and "Why this sch? or how many schs did you apply to?" and always, pray for God's grace!

For many of you worrying about financial docs, the VOs ve many applicants so they hardly check out details of all documents (e.g say ur Father is the sponsor if the surname is thesame, they wont question you if the person is truly your Dad or not or "why is your uncle/cousin sponsoring u?" as no time for all that".

You can either reach me, dizzyfrenzy or any willing successful ndler for help on docs requirement/arrangement and maybe a demo interview so we can perfect your prep and give you more confidence. I can be reached on my YIM or gimme a ring on 08181649331. Just wanna help but Dont Flash pls.

Thanks House for your patience with me but most importantly for your help, tips, encouragement and prayers. Let us know who's next so we can put you in our prayers.

@ Previous successful ndlers, Which Airline would you recommend for my trip to TX in 1st week of Aug? and how do I go about the booking? cost and quality service is my concern,
Your answers are needed urgently

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by naggy: 4:19am On Jul 09, 2011
@USBound please do not hesitate to REQUEST for a new I-20 if any information on the current one has changed or got updated. I know it looks irrelevant but believe me little things like that really matters a lot. Thank you.

@myforumid3, congratulations to you! All the best in your endeavours!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by lailai2(m): 4:28am On Jul 09, 2011
@nellywho & T_gud3, i'm heading to california also

@myforumid3, u are very correct grin grin grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 6:11am On Jul 09, 2011
naggy:

@USBound please do not hesitate to REQUEST for a new I-20 if any information on the current one has changed or got updated. I know it looks irrelevant but believe me little things like that really matters a lot. Thank you.

@naggy: I have requested one from the school but the lady says I should go ahead to use it that way and that it does not matter - that family sponsorship is still sponsorship. She says the alternative is for me to maintain corporate sponsorship which I won't from reading this thread. I am now thinking of using my father's personal company (not where he works as an employee) as this still falls under 'sponsorship'. More advice welcome.

@House: Please advise: I am going for a Masters in International Business. Can you please give me good ideas on what to say if asked ' why this course?' and 'how it relates to Nigeria?'
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 6:14am On Jul 09, 2011
@House: Please what dressing is appropriate for the interview? I'm going for a Masters, above 29, International Business. I am thinking of wearing something that matches my course or field- business (shirt and trouser)? Or something Native (as it shows I love my country and will be coming back). What do u guys think abeg?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 6:28am On Jul 09, 2011
@HOUSE: I have some advice. Reading through this thread, I think it pays to SELL YOURSELF at these Interviews. It pays. I figure these people (V.O.) at the embassy also want to know apart from 1. you will come back and 2. that you can finance your study. They also want to know that you will be an ASSET not a LIABILITY to their country and economy. That is why Ivy-league admitted applicants always get the Visa. But you don't need to be ivy-league. I have noticed that things like 'i got a SCHOLARSHIP' even when it's partial not full also scores with them. Then, AWARDS. Also travel experience, high intelligence, articulation and such. Anything that makes you an ASSET grabs their attention. Because if we look at it carefully, the US is the biggest thief-nation in the world stealing the brightest and the best from all nations to enrich themselves. They are looking for an ASSET in us. So, please when you respond to their questions, sneak in brief evidence of your being an asset. I have read several posted interviews where the girl or guy should not have gotten the visa but because they sold themselves as ASSETS along the line, the got it. Please sell yourself, your course, your school and your country. I believe it helps. And please, the most important factor in getting this thing remains GOD and His favor. God will help us.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by myforumid3: 6:39am On Jul 09, 2011
USBound:

@HOUSE: I have some advice. Reading through this thread, I think it pays to SELL YOURSELF at these Interviews. It pays. I figure these people (V.O.) at the embassy also want to know apart from 1. you will come back and 2. that you can finance your study. They also want to know that you will be an ASSET not a LIABILITY to their country and economy. That is why Ivy-league admitted applicants always get the Visa. But you don't need to be ivy-league. I have noticed that things like 'i got a SCHOLARSHIP' even when it's partial not full also scores with them. Then, AWARDS. Also travel experience, high intelligence, articulation and such. Anything that makes you an ASSET grabs their attention. Because if we look at it carefully, the US is the biggest thief-nation in the world stealing the brightest and the best from all nations to enrich themselves. They are looking for an ASSET in us. So, please when you respond to their questions, sneak in brief evidence of your being an asset. I have read several posted interviews where the girl or guy should not have gotten the visa but because they sold themselves as ASSETS along the line, the got it. Please sell yourself, your course, your school and your country. I believe it helps. And please, the most important factor in getting this thing remains GOD and His favor. God will help us.
@bolded, very true.
I had a scholarship from the school which allows me to pay instate tuition and fees.

Who's next!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nellywho(f): 8:55am On Jul 09, 2011
@LAI-LAI I GUESS WE LL ALL SEE OVER THERE BY HIS GRACE
I STILL NEED ALL THE INFO I CAN GET ABT THE INTERVIEW AS MINE COMES UP NEXT MONTH AT ABJ,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Saylawchar(m): 12:11pm On Jul 09, 2011
@house, please advise me, have just secured a full scholarship package and am expected to resume on or before August 17th, 2011 but all the transcripts i sent to sucure the scholarship has 88 as my birth yr while my passport has 84, is there any need to go and amend my passport in immigration office to 88 but i learnt it will take 1 month before i could get it and looking at the time frame i dont know if it will be feasible for me to secure visa interview appointment after that one month that my passport will be ready and 17th August. pls advise
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 09, 2011
Saylawchar:

@house, please advise me, have just secured a full scholarship package and am expected to resume on or before August 17th, 2011 but all the transcripts i sent to sucure the scholarship has 88 as my birth yr while my passport has 84, is there any need to go and amend my passport in immigration office to 88 but i learnt it will take 1 month before i could get it and looking at the time frame i dont know if it will be feasible for me to secure visa interview appointment after that one month that my passport will be ready and 17th August. pls advise
go to court to make an oath that the 84 on ur passport was a mistake by the immigration office and you can take the affidavit to the consulate as proof then u can now request for a new passport .
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 2:38pm On Jul 09, 2011
Saylawchar

Go to the immigration HQ with about 50k, be smart, and all errors will be corrected in 3days. You might ask for a woman sharing the same name with the Nigerian president.

Goodluck to you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.