Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,022 members, 7,807,001 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:23 AM

. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / . (8876 Views)

Is This WAEC Result Good For Biochemistry? I Need Your Suggestions And Advice / Microbiology Or Industrial Chemistry Or Pure And Applied Chemistry / (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Shaadey: 6:59pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: . by sholikay(m): 7:06pm On Jun 24, 2015
I would advise you go for biochemistry.. My opinion though.
Re: . by benjanjo1: 7:08pm On Jun 24, 2015
Shaadey:
I've seen a topic like this before, although I didn't really go through it.Now I need some info from it but can't find it.Am a predite.

I chose biochemistry and MCB as my first and second choice respectively but dunno what to expect from these depts....like how difficult it is, chances of getting a job after youth service, what I can study for masters, etc.

Thanks

Now go back to the topic you saw and read it again. There is no need opening a new thread on a topic when one already exists. Fynestboi pls shut down this thread and throw it into the dustbin

6 Likes

Re: . by Shaadey: 7:15pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: . by Fineboi2(m): 7:15pm On Jun 24, 2015
benjanjo1:

Now go back to the topic you saw and read it again. There is no need opening a new thread on a topic when one already exists. Fynestboi pls shut down this thread and throw it into the dustbin
Bro that was harsh na undecided

1 Like

Re: . by Shaadey: 7:15pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: . by benjanjo1: 7:20pm On Jun 24, 2015
Shaadey:
can't find the thread, I've been going through education section for days now....I didn't just create it for fun, u can throw it away if he doesn't

Oya wait let me fish it for you.
Re: . by benjanjo1: 7:23pm On Jun 24, 2015
sholikay:
I would advise you go for biochemistry.. My opinion though.

This is very bad advice. @op pls don't take it.

One thing you should understand is that microbiology and biochemistry are on equal footing. One can never be better than the other. The two courses have approximately 60% similarity in course content.
Re: . by sholikay(m): 7:24pm On Jun 24, 2015
Shaadey:
aii thanks
it's my pleasure..
But before I go.. Jaaaaaah elikaaaaaaiiii!!... Hmmmmmm un... EMI oooo oooo... Miti gbo yin ooooo... I will speak..... , some higher spirit is ministering to me that it's either you just had your birthday or today is your birthday or few days to come.. I was just told to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN ADVANCE OR HAPPY POST BIRTHDAY OR HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.. CHEERS.. enchjoy yah self.. But remember my own cake and rice oooo. cheesy
Re: . by sholikay(m): 7:30pm On Jun 24, 2015
benjanjo1:

This is very bad advice. @op pls don't take it.

One thing you should understand is that microbiology and biochemistry are on equal footing. One can never be better than the other. The two courses have approximately 60% similarity in course content.
NB: thats my own thought.. I've seen some of my friends and others regret ever studying microbiology in school, because most of those Labs has no vacancy for them, except they acquire masters or phd certificate...
Re: . by Shaadey: 7:30pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: . by Shaadey: 7:34pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: . by pharmagba: 7:36pm On Jun 24, 2015
To tell you to choose one I may not be fair to you, but I will tell you what to expect.
Let start from the department: you will feel superior as a biochemist to microbiology , they will bombard you with lot of molecules,pathways, structures not forgetting enzymatic reactions, but you will meet some medical and pharmacy student who borrowed your course, who will make you feel like a second class citizen. Forget all the hype in the biochemistry department when you are in school, after university, the Nigeria society do no really have a definite place for biochemist, the lab scientist will reject you from the lab, some pharmaceutical company will absorb you into their ab as analyst ( only because they don't want to pay a higher cost for a pharmacist) or as marketer to sell their drugs.
For microbiology it is same as biochemistry but less structure and molecules but more abstract things like scientific names of some bacteria, virus and fungi. Bet you the names are as numerous as the sand on the seashore. The employment is same as biochemistry, lab scientist don't want you near their lab either and you are let at the mercy of pharmaceutical company as sales representative or breweries.
You can do your masters you may advance in your first degree or in many pharmaceutical department,( pharmaceutical microbiology, pharmacology) but they won't recognize you as their own professional.
This is the bitter truth the way I see it.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: . by sholikay(m): 7:40pm On Jun 24, 2015
Shaadey:
don't really know what to do, tho it depends on the course am given but I'lld love to study MCB don't just know much bout it
Then follow your heart milady. Perhaps, you could become self independent and earning big with it... Can we chat better on any other social platform if you don't mind?.
Re: . by Shaadey: 7:41pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: . by benjanjo1: 7:53pm On Jun 24, 2015
sholikay:
NB: thats my own thought.. I've seen some of my friends and others regret ever studying microbiology in school, because most of those Labs has no vacancy for them, except they acquire masters or phd certificate...

And you think biochemistry is any different?

Olboy no be my eye I use run from BCH enter MCB. I con jam d same thing. @op go for a professional undergraduate course. Don't waste your time on a bsc programme. If medicine is too big for you, try med lab sci, pharmacy, physiotherapy or nursing. Leave all these courses that are only good elsewhere.

5 Likes

Re: . by Shaadey: 8:00pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: . by pharmagba: 8:15pm On Jun 24, 2015
Shaadey:
thanks a lot, for masters what about medical microbiology is it way better?
Medical microbiology is not any better the lab scientist don't want anybody without lab scientist first degree in the labs or to register a private lab. They have close that window some 3yrs ago
Re: . by pharmagba: 8:19pm On Jun 24, 2015
Shaadey:
thanks a lot, for masters what about medical microbiology is it way better?
Medical microbiology is not any better the lab scientist don't want anybody without lab scientist first degree in the labs or to register a private lab. They have close that window some 3yrs ago
Please if it still within you power go for professional course: Medicine, pharmacy, lab scientist, radiograhy/ medical imaging, nursing, phsiotherapist
Re: . by Shaadey: 8:46pm On Jun 24, 2015
Re: . by johnkay1(m): 9:12pm On Jun 24, 2015
microbiology is the best option.
Re: . by tohpahz(f): 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2015
If ur choice is btw mcb nd bch..

I'd advice u go for mcb..
Terms of job waheva in naija..

Although it's kinda poor.. but it's bera compared to bch..

Getting a masters would gv u more footing though

If u hv other choices to make do something professional.. nursing, med,med lab,pharmacy, physiotherapy, psychology.. etc

Shaadey
Re: . by Shaadey: 2:29pm On Jul 14, 2015
tohpahz:
If ur choice is btw mcb nd bch..

I'd advice u go for mcb..
Terms of job waheva in naija..

Although it's kinda poor.. but it's bera compared to bch..

Getting a masters would gv u more footing though

If u hv other choices to make do something professional.. nursing, med,med lab,pharmacy, physiotherapy, psychology.. etc

Shaadey
Thanks

1 Like

Re: . by manee2(m): 2:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
Shaadey:
I've seen a topic like this before, although I didn't really go through it.Now I need some info from it but can't find it.Am a predite.

I chose biochemistry and MCB as my first and second choice respectively but dunno what to expect from these depts....like how difficult it is, chances of getting a job after youth service, what I can study for masters, etc.

Thanks
_ this same shit bin bothering me i later settled for bch, found out de chances of employment is higher
Re: . by manee2(m): 2:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
Whch sch do u intend going?
Re: . by Shaadey: 2:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
manee2:
_ this same shit bin bothering me i later settled for bch, found out de chances of employment is higher
so are u currently studying it
Re: . by benjanjo1: 4:20pm On Jul 14, 2015
manee2:

This is a big lie! @shaadey I've told you before that both courses are on equal footing, but its generally believed that its easier to pass through MCB and get a first class than for you to do the same with bch. Since you've settled for MCB, I'll encourage you to finish the race with a good GPA and do as much as possible to get hands on learning experience it will go a long way in positioning you for success when you leave school. You're free to contact me if you need learning materials or assistance with internship
Re: . by manee2(m): 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2015
Shaadey:
so are u currently studying it
_ aspirant__ two of my uncles got first class in bch actually, each workin in nafdac and guinness (brain runs in us no brag)_ they encouraged me to follow up with bch also shaa.
Re: . by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 14, 2015
Shaadey:

Thanks
pardon me... Bt if its oau pre degree, then you dnt pick biochem as ur first choice with mcb as ur 2nd because microbiology has always been having a higher cut off mark than biochem. If you dnt want to miss out on the two
Re: . by Shaadey: 5:29pm On Jul 14, 2015
Samakinr:

pardon me... Bt if its oau pre degree, then you dnt pick biochem as ur first choice with mcb as ur 2nd because microbiology has always been having a higher cut off mark than biochem. If you dnt want to miss out on the two
Re: . by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 14, 2015
Shaadey:
Thanks actually going for mcb now tho
anyway.... Both of them have little employment credence in Nigeria. Bt if you are left with no other choice... Then biochemistry is quite broader than mcb.. Hence you have a wider employment opportunity. Except you want to cross to medicine in 200l where they favour mcb to others
Re: . by tohpahz(f): 7:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
Shaadey:
Thanks actually going for mcb now tho

Better smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Will Waec Gce Form Be Out / UNN Courses, Cut Off Mark And Admission Requirements / 2016 /2017 Waec / Wassce Timetable Blastexam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.