Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,917 members, 7,802,983 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ (22634 Views)

Nigeria To Cut Senators, Reps’ Jumbo Pay As Buhari Fumes / I Did Not Discuss Jonathan With Buhari Says Anyaoku / Jonathan Sends Anyaoku To Beg President Buhari Not To Probe Him- SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by donfranklin(m): 8:31am On Jun 25, 2015
That's it. Gbam
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Nobody: 8:32am On Jun 25, 2015
Flets:
Tribalism and ethnocentrism was taken to a new height by APC and as such, we might never muster the unity to fight a common goal as our aspirations are different

SE wants Biafra
SS wants Resource control
NE/ NW wants to retain power and resources in united Nigeria
NC wants emancipation from Fulani stronghold
Not sure what the SW wants

Please we the south wet are ok where we are.

What's your problem if we remain loyal to the Hausas whom we rever, adore and worship ? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by IceMan85(m): 8:34am On Jun 25, 2015
k
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by 2baga(m): 8:36am On Jun 25, 2015
gratiaeo:
IT was President Barack Obama of the United states of America, who in his usual profound sense of oratory and appreciation of humanity and governance, stated in Ghana, in 1999 that: “History is not just made because we are powerful, financially rich and brute but for the change we bring to the well being of our community and society at large.

We don’t need powerful individuals but powerful institutions’’. On the eve of the inauguration of President Muhammadu Buhari, a gala night was organised in his honour by the then outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan at the State House, Abuja.

Chief Emeka Anyaoku, the experienced former Secretary General of the Commonwealth of Nations, was at his best. All the words in his speech were stylishly pronounced.

He was very audible. He eulogised to the extreme, the former President for that singular show of sportsmanship and love for his country, by congratulating his opponent, even before the result was announced. He also profusely congratulated President Buhari for his election and his tenacity in trying repeatedly over the years, to be President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, until success smiled at him.

Then Anyoku spoke glowingly about Nigeria, his land of birth, on her many achievements and myriad of challenges. He delivered his words diplomatically but with every punch he could muster.

He spoke about the new mantra – corruption – at every facet of our political life and how the world sees Nigeria. He talked about his country where power is a big headache.

He told the world that even at that, Nigeria ‘prides’ herself as having the highest paid lawmakers in the world. And that means that the Nigerian lawmaker earns more than his counterpart in the United States, China, Britain, Japan, Canada et al? In these countries, their light will hardly blink. In these countries, monthly statistical information about number of jobs created is a serious campaign issue.

You hear about ‘Obamanomics’, ‘Romnomics’. We will soon hear about ‘Clintonomics’ and ‘Bushnomics’ towards 2016 polls in the United States. Serious debates as to how best to better the lot of the common man are commonplace.

So what is special about Nigeria and her lawmakers? Do Nigerian lawmakers hold their plenaries in the moon? When Anyoku dropped his ‘bomb,’ I saw our leaders turning their heads left and right, and talking to themselves. They seemed to be saying, “This is not the place and time for this kind of comments, and whoever recommended that Anyaoku should give the keynote address this evening, did a bad job. He must be mischievous.’’

Surely, it was a hit at their conscience. It was a hit at their innermost recesses. They were visibly embarrassed. But there are some lawmakers with good conscience who will be willing to support President Buhari if he summons the political courage to address this outrageous package for the National Assembly (NASS) people.

These selfless ones must be worried about the quantum of the nation’s resources they cart away in the name of salaries and allowances in a country, where millions of young graduates roam the streets, clutching their A4 envelopes and files containing their credentials and searching for non-available jobs; where state governments are unable to pay salaries and some very proud to say they are owing just for few months; where for eight years the road connecting my great community in a capital territory, to the state capital, a distance of less than five kilometres, remains perpetually under construction and laneless to date; where getting electricity remains a luxury; where three square meals remain a mirage for many Nigerians; And where fuel scarcity in a land of plenty of oil bites relentlessly.

But that is about good conscience and those who have it. That is about selflessness. That is about service to one’s country. That is a fine attitude towards this journey of life and its transience – driven by a good sense of humanity.

But it does appear that in our country, good conscience is rare among politicians. They think more about themselves. They think about being “powerful individuals’’ and not about having “powerful institutions’’, to borrow Obama’s words.

And that is why some are ready to do just anything to get to that height – including visiting Okija Shrine in Anambra State. Politics is business, some have said. And so election is war.

Some kill. Some maim. Excess here and nothing at all there. And they don’t care a hoot about that. What to do? When one reads that the salary and allowances of the average senator are N240m and that of his counterpart in the House of Representatives is N204m, the heart bleeds.

For doing what? For inventing what? When did law-making become rocket science? And even if it is, so what? Believe you me, there are more than 10 million Nigerians, to be modest, who can do that job.

And that is for a fact. Nigeria has great talents, great scholars and great minds who can do that job for a third of that sum. And we are all complacent? We are all watching and complaining in the comfort of our homes that the nation’s source of income has plummeted?

We are all watching and crying to high heavens that oil price has dropped and still dropping dreadfully and worrisomely?

Why must we watch helplessly, as senior citizens who have served this nation in their prime, cry out for their monthly peanuts in the name of pension? In some climes, the uncompromised human right activists, the labour unions, the religious and public-spirited individuals will speak out and even lead peaceful demonstrations to send a message to the NASS people that this is unacceptable.

President Buhari has an opportunity to make history in this regard. He should not be scared of stepping on seemingly powerful toes. Buhari remaining in office does not necessarily reside in the NASS. His fate is in the hands of Nigerians who elected him. That also applies to the lawmakers themselves.

Buhari is rendered almost impotent because he has fast-dwindling source of funds to operate with. And yet the Naira is flying in the air, everywhere in the National Assembly.

The President, should as a matter of serious national interest, employ all known political and administrative wizardry to save some money from the jumbo pay of the NASS members.

He must continue to ‘belong to everybody’ and ‘belong to nobody’’, to use his lines. He must appeal to them to imbibe the sense of sacrifice. Anyaoku has passed the ball to him. Buhari has an open net before him. His is to score the goal. And now, is the time. Nigeria needs powerful institutions. Not powerful individuals. •Asianah wrote from Port Harcourt.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/06/jumbo-pay-emeka-anyaokus-atomic-bomb/

If the true CHANGE that we voted for will be allowed to manifest, Nigeria has more than enough to take good care of all her citizens (real) needs. Unfortunately GREED like the Grave cannot be satisfied always calling for more
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by mrkings84(m): 8:37am On Jun 25, 2015
NEED A JOB? OR NEED MORE INCOME?? THAT OPPORTUNITY U VE BEEN WAITING FOR IS HERE! U CAN EARN MUCH MORE THAN U ACTUALLY EXPECTED WITH EASE. IT'S A NETWORKING BUSINESS. ALL IT REQUIRES IS A SMALL AMOUNT AS CAPITAL, AND GET MORE PEOPLE INVOLVE, THEN YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. FOR MORE INFO, WHASAPP OR CALL 08034704620. IT'S A PROMISE THAT U WILL THANK ME LATER. NOTE: NO SPECIAL SKILLS OR QUALIFICATIONS ARE REQUIRED
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by pauloookay(m): 8:37am On Jun 25, 2015
If
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by frehage: 8:37am On Jun 25, 2015
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 25, 2015
[quote author=veekid post=35127097]OK [/quote

ur signature dey on piont. cool
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by fishvision: 8:42am On Jun 25, 2015
It is a sad thing that we Nigerians are all dark but no bite.We all know the truth these NASS members are just there for the money and we as Nigerians should rise and say no to this madness
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by onatisi(m): 8:45am On Jun 25, 2015
natas22:
Sai buhari are you reading this you need to get pen and paper to pick points out.
www.
baba is fasting ,3 weeks from now when the fasting is over ,baba will read it , so don't worry.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by sweetgala(m): 8:49am On Jun 25, 2015
It's time to do the needful, the pay of the average Nigerian senator is 10 times more than the highest in a developed country italy.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by sexaddict08(m): 8:51am On Jun 25, 2015
groundnutoil:
wet in consign us and ur addiction this money abi u get. malaria undecided

na u get malaria....
me I don't overcome malaria permanently.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by sammyemmy01: 8:56am On Jun 25, 2015
[size=18pt]Check out this shocking discovery from this website below:[/size]

[size=14pt]www.payzawealth..com[/size]
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by mikolo80: 8:56am On Jun 25, 2015
kheart:
In as much I bliv that there re senators who ll like to comply with the plight of nigerians by reducing their outragious bumer pay.

90% re thieves and ll only fustrate any effort made by d real pple`s reps.

#Patriotic Youths Forum#
remember 90% of voters voted for them
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by freshdude99(m): 8:57am On Jun 25, 2015
akoaki:
Nigerians must not wait for one particular person or group to effect change in the recklessness of the political class. The young and not-too-young should begin to march for that change; a change from slavery to freedom, a change from poverty and hopelessness to prosperity. The days of arm-chair criticism is gone and we now require everyone to work the talk.
are u old or handicapped?
You can lead the way don't u think so lipsrsealed
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Vikthor(m): 9:01am On Jun 25, 2015
Anyaoku yarn well
Buhari... I dey watch u with Binoculars
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 25, 2015
akoaki:
Nigerians must not wait for one particular person or group to effect change in the recklessness of the political class. The young and not-too-young should begin to march for that change; a change from slavery to freedom, a change from poverty and hopelessness to prosperity. The days of arm-chair criticism is gone and we now require everyone to work the talk.

And when people sit it out and dea bumper allowances are slashed sum ppl would come out hea to say twas PMB's achievement.. Let's get real.. To lead even a genuine protest costs money in dis country, u av to hire protesters
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by mikolo80: 9:09am On Jun 25, 2015
SweetJoystick:
True, all we do is complain in the house, streets, work place, religious and social gatherings, no peaceful demonstrations, that's why they keep doing what they do because they believe they will always get away with it. What happened to #OccupyNigeria? angry
how many things has OCCUPY ever solved. you (we) had our chance on mar 28 and we voted for "stomach infrastructure" so wait patiently for mar 28 2019 for a do-over
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by otr1(m): 9:11am On Jun 25, 2015
And that is for a fact. Nigeria has great talents, great scholars and great minds who can do that job for a third of that sum.
Don't go to far on the bolded, I'd do it better for a tenth of that sum.

Millions of Nigerians who have served this nation better in the last six months, than David Mark have done since 1999, won't be earning in their 35 years in service, what these crooks earn annually.

If nothing change in the next 4 years, I'm afraid, we'll have to...

1 Like

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by chinae(m): 9:16am On Jun 25, 2015
This is a very powerful piece, what do we expect in a situation wea dey are to determine how much they take home. Problems should be taken care of at the root, reduce it today and the 9th or 10th assembly will revert it, a system or law that they can't amend should be put ib place wea dey can't determine dea take home allowances, maybe the sitting president at that time shld use the power of his good office to adjust if need be and should always be based in inflation rate.

enough of the sit at home criticism, its time we start hitting the streets.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by onatisi(m): 9:18am On Jun 25, 2015
freshdude99:

are u old or handicapped?
You can lead the way don't u think so lipsrsealed
fantastic response to that post. Thank you. But guy, u are funny ooo.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by redsun(m): 9:24am On Jun 25, 2015
It is not the president that will change it because they are part of his gang. It is ordinary productive Nigerians that should ground their tools and demand an end to the open treachery.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by chinae(m): 9:32am On Jun 25, 2015
Damager:

And when people sit it out and dea bumper allowances are slashed sum ppl would come out hea to say twas PMB's achievement.. Let's get real.. To lead even a genuine protest costs money in dis country, u av to hire protesters
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Olaone1: 9:33am On Jun 25, 2015
All of them, including this Anyaoku, are the same powerful men and they don't contribute anything positive for the well being of this country. Has Anyaoku ever criticized any politician. e.g president? No! He however regularly joins then to enjoy dinner and eulogize them. Yeye!

Na to deliver speeches we dey talk? Abegiii undecided
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by mikolo80: 9:34am On Jun 25, 2015
akoaki:
enough teargas go be your portion.march for march 28 wey you no march na now you know say you go march.i am sure you have never attended a single ward party meeting yet you want to lead people to certain death and sufferring unnecessarily when there are easiers and more effective ways
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by huptin(m): 9:40am On Jun 25, 2015
Calebosko:
I met an empty treasury - Gen. Buhari
I met an empty treasury - IBB
I met and empty treasury - Sonekan
I met an empty treasury - Abacha
I met an empty treasury - Abdusalam
I met an empty treasury - Obj
I met an empty treasury - Yaradua
I met an empty treasury - GEJ
I met an empty treasury - President Buhari
Nothing new there sir.
Get to work and quit talking!!!!!

I have never heard Yar Adua or GEJ say they met an empty treasury, if you have a link, please post it. Thanks
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by adebrightayo(f): 9:46am On Jun 25, 2015
Any vacancies or training for civil engineering? pls post, TNX.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by ahamonyeka(m): 9:47am On Jun 25, 2015
Good speech by my brother mr.Emeka ayaoku.
All the what NASS members are been paid for is to shout A's have it,sleep and fight making hell of noise at the end of the day they pay them just for doing trivialities while some nigerians are dying.well,may God help us all.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by lastmessenger: 9:52am On Jun 25, 2015
Here we need religious leaders like father mbaka to lead the race.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by doncollino: 10:00am On Jun 25, 2015
NICE WRITE UP, I THINK WE NAIRALANDERS SHOULD COME TOGETHER AND ALSO ORGANIZE A RALLY. NIGERIA IS GOING DOWN FAST WE MUST ACT NOW, LETS STOP SINGING PRAISES TO THESE POLITICAL DOGS, LETS CHANGE THIS COUNTRY THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA (FORGETTING ABOUT APC OR PDP), LETS WORK TOGETHER.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by IBBG(m): 10:20am On Jun 25, 2015
Flets:
Tribalism and ethnocentrism was taken to a new height by APC and as such, we might never muster the unity to fight a common goal as our aspirations are different

SE wants Biafra
SS wants Resource control
NE/ NW wants to retain power and resources in united Nigeria
NC wants emancipation from Fulani stronghold
Not sure what the SW wants
True talk. Wat do d SW rilly want?

1 Like

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Vikto: 10:20am On Jun 25, 2015
Whenever it is time for mobilization of well meaning Nigerians against these careless lawmakers or "lawbreakers", you will be shock at the state of preparedness of Nigerians from all works of life. And please, it should not be too long. Our dear President Buhari must know that well meaning Nigerians voted him in and not these carefree law breakers. Therefore, we will back him up the way it has never happened in this our Country.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obiano Visits Failing Portion Of Enugu-Onitsha Expressway (Photos) / Andrew Fleming & His Wife Wear Nigerian Attires As They Travel To Vietnam / Nigerian Army Introduces New Language Policy For Officers And Soldiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.