Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,199 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists (9831 Views)

Top 15 Yoruba Gospel Music & Praises Lyrics / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response / Famous Atheists Last Words Before Dying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists by Cactus(m): 2:39pm On Feb 27, 2009
http://listverse.com/religion/top-15-quotes-by-famous-atheists/

1. Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov

2. I don’t believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life. — Andrew Carnegie

3. All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

4. Lighthouses are more helpful then churches. — Benjamin Franklin

5. Faith means not wanting to know what is true. — Friedrich Nietzsche

6. The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard Shaw

7. Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile. — Kurt Vonnegut

8. I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. — Frank Lloyd Wright

9. Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

10. A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. — Samuel Clemens

11. The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life. — Sigmund Freud

12. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

13. The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church. — Ferdinand Magellan

14. Not only is there no god, but try getting a plumber on weekends. — Woody Allen

15. It’s an incredible con job when you think about it, to believe something now in exchange for something after death. Even corporations with their reward systems don’t try to make it posthumous. — Gloria Steinem
Re: Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists by jagunlabi(m): 3:21pm On Feb 27, 2009
Great quotes.
Cactus:

http://listverse.com/religion/top-15-quotes-by-famous-atheists/

1. Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov

2. I don’t believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life. — Andrew Carnegie

3. All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

4. Lighthouses are more helpful then churches. — Benjamin Franklin

5. Faith means not wanting to know what is true. — Friedrich Nietzsche

6. The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard Shaw

7. Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile. — Kurt Vonnegut

8. I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. — Frank Lloyd Wright

9. Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

10. A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. — Samuel Clemens

11. The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life. — Sigmund Freud

12. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

13. The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church. — Ferdinand Magellan

14. Not only is there no god, but try getting a plumber on weekends. — Woody Allen

15. It’s an incredible con job when you think about it, to believe something now in exchange for something after death. Even corporations with their reward systems don’t try to make it posthumous. — Gloria Steinem

Re: Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists by manmustwac(m): 5:15pm On Feb 27, 2009
The famous quote that says[b] religion is the opium of the masses [/b]by Karl Marx is missing from the list.
Re: Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists by smile4kenn(m): 7:40am On Feb 28, 2009
nice quotes and straight to d point, u dont need faith to understand those quotes
Re: Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists by ginesmafra: 1:11pm On Dec 12, 2009
Robert Green Ingersoll fabricated the Magellan quote

The Magellan quote was never said by the Portuguese navigator. Its real author is Robert Green Ingersoll. The words are found in the fourth paragraph of Ingersoll's essay entitled "Individuality" which was published in 1873. Here is the precise wording, "It is a blessed thing that in every age some one has had individuality enough and courage enough to stand by his own convictions, -- some one who had the grandeur to say his say. I believe it was Magellan who said, 'The church says the earth is flat; but I have seen its shadow on the moon, and I have more confidence even in a shadow than in the church.' On the prow of his ship were disobedience, defiance, scorn, and success." (See http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/robert_ingersoll/individuality.html)

You can’t find this quote anywhere outside of Ingersoll’s essay.

The improbability of Magellan saying those words will be seen as obvious. The sphericity of earth was known thousands of years before Magellan. The only question was the exact size of the globe. Eratosthenes (3rd c BC) calculated the earth’s circumference to be 39,690 km which is only 1% off the mark. As late as the 15th century Michael of Rhodes wrote a treatise on this.

The Catholic Church never made any dogmatic claim as to the flatness of earth. What the Church pronounced as dogma was the notion earth was center of the Universe.

Ascribing this quote wrongly to Magellan in your blog is a case of ignorance. To insist on publishing it without correcting it as an Ingersoll fabrication is to knowingly foist a lie.

VICENTE CALIBO DE JESUS ginesdemafra@gmail.com
Re: Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists by Freiburger(m): 8:17am On Apr 14, 2011
Number 13 said it all.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland athei potes probare contra Dei non-existentiam / “masturbation And Fornication Are No Longer Sinful” – Pope Francis / 10 Must-know Reasons To Forgive As A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.