Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Working With The Big4, Your Experience. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. (49333 Views)

Share Your Experience With Female Bosses. / Ever Resigned From A New Job A Month Or Less? Share Your Experience! / Working With A Falsified Statement Of Result For 2 Yrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 29, 2015
What is a Big4 ??
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Depot(m): 9:13am On Jun 29, 2015
I am never an employee, always employer. Hustling sure pass as correct Igbo guy. U can never make it big as an employee. Being an employee makes you lazy. You always believe u gonna earn pea nut at the end of every month. And that impression will not allow you to hustle further.

5 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by sonnyudoh(m): 9:13am On Jun 29, 2015
Wat of those playing in la liga wat of those relegated... Runs pls dnt block me

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by missKiffy(f): 9:13am On Jun 29, 2015
masagoody:
It's that time of the year when offer letters fly left, right and center for the big 4. many graduate trainees resume in the third or fourth quarter of the year, (notably kpmg in September and PWC in August & October) Amidst all the excitements, there could be some nudgings and silent questions when you start reading up about life at the big4. most of the stories and experiences shared about challenging work hours, crazy deadlines, sleepless nights, high expectations, extreme professionalism and diligence could make you question if you are really prepared for this. Then you factor in the fact that your primary work location is majorly in LAGOS. It may not be easy, but some persons are thriving. This thread is for those who have or are currently working with the big4. how has it been for you so far?. how do you stay afloat?. what are the major challenges?, and what would you advice those just about to enter to watch out for. congrats to those who just got the offers.
Let's share....
Pls what do you mean by the big 4
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 29, 2015
Depot:
I am never an employee, always employer. Hustling sure pass as correct Igbo guy. U can never make it big as an employee. Being an employee makes you lazy. You always believe u gonna earn pea nut at the end of every month. And that impression will not allow you to hustle further.
Everyone can't be an entrepreneur.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Mannylex(m): 9:19am On Jun 29, 2015
missKiffy:

KPMG , PWC, EY , Deloitte. They are the top 4 audit firms in the world.

Have no fear; Mannylex is here

3 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by deturla: 9:19am On Jun 29, 2015
DMilanista:
Jarus has said it all. For ICAN/ACCA, it's compulsory if u are going into tax, audit, accounting and financial advisory. Though, u need not be certified before coming in for audit and tax, but u v to be chartered before coming in for accounting and financial advisory.
We look forward to seeing u all.

Gbam!....DMilanista..always repping!
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by TheRealAdonye(m): 9:19am On Jun 29, 2015
Parked
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by pomporiking: 9:19am On Jun 29, 2015
missKiffy:

Epl,bundesliga,Serie a and La liga

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by deturla: 9:22am On Jun 29, 2015
MarvellousGod:
cheesy cheesy.. you go like the topic na...

I have heard about the crazy deadlines, working on weekends sometimes, travelling esp for those in audit...

But me thinks that no matter how challenging it's, there's just so much to learn..the exposure too.. cool cool

Besides, no work is easy these days ooo.. you must make an impact before you're paid... ssooo? If you don't want to be under any form of pressure, then have your own business shikena kiss

I so Love this Bae.

..Coming with details of the experience Inna bit!
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 29, 2015
I love the experience, the travel, the fact that you get to meet so many people/clients in a short period of time. The fact that you get to learn so much.

You get to build your professional network. You're trained from the get go, etc, etc.

But then after a while many people become bored, or they start getting juicier offers from the multinationals et al grin grin hence why the Big 4s are always recruiting.

Oh, and you get to work with the best brains out there. If you think say na you smart pass, e go shock you when you see some kain people. grin grin

23 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 29, 2015
Jarus:
I never worked in any of them, but I'm somehow close to them. I have friends in all of them and I also have professional relationship with them as I have had to work with all of them as consultants to different companies I have worked for.

They are all a good place to work for. One of the best places anyone can work. The pay not so juicy but you have solid training and you have brand that can earn you opportunities in the future.

Yes, they have crazy deadlines, sometimes work on weekends. On a lighter note, they also brush you up and refine you from your ayam English to a (locally acquired) fonee speaking fellow that speaks from the nose. grin

ICAN/ACCA is not compulsory if you don't plan to go into auditing and tax. Advisory people hardly need all these.

Really.. I'm currently doing ACCA but not planning to go into auditing nor tax. Just trying to become a fully qualified chartered accountant. I just hope I'm not wasting my time and resources. Hmm

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by missKiffy(f): 9:23am On Jun 29, 2015
pomporiking:

Epl,bundesliga,Serie a and La liga
Na you sabi
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
What is a Big4 ??
The biggest 4 auditing firms in the world. .. PWC, KPMG, Deloitte, E & Y... Google for more details. ..
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 29, 2015
deturla:

I so Love this Bae.

..Coming with details of the experience Inna bit!
smiley smiley
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by veave(f): 9:35am On Jun 29, 2015
My brother has an Msc in economics. What courses can he take to be employable by the big4 please. And how long will each of them last?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Maintech: 9:36am On Jun 29, 2015
Yeahreen:
Just here to read comments lipsrsealed

When will you start being useful on this forum?
Always here to read comments.

Haba!
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 29, 2015
lolaredvelvet:

Really.. I'm currently doing ACCA but not planning to go into auditing nor tax. Just trying to become a fully qualified chartered accountant. I just hope I'm not wasting my time and resources. Hmm

If you "just want to", there is no problem in it. Like I earlier said, it is not compulsory except you're going into the aforementioned fields.

There is no harm in doing it just for the sake of doing it. It broadens your horizon, and makes you versatile, and it can make a difference in future job search.

Personally, I never set out to be an accountant, I started ICAN just to keep myself busy during my service year...but that was what got me job after NYSC, and I ended up being an accountant all my post-NYSC career. That was accidental. So you never can tell.

3 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 29, 2015
veave:
My brother has an Msc in economics. What courses can he take to be employable by the big4 please. And how long will each of them last?
If he is less than 26, has a 2-1, then 5 credits in WAEC including English and Mathematics. . Then he can apply for their graduate trainee.. Kpmg recruitment runs throughout the yr, so he can apply. ..

Asides these, na experienced positions remain....

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 29, 2015
veave:

All a big 4 needs are 2.1 in first degree in almost any course, below a certain age, usually 26. That's all you need. Then your ability will take you further in acing the tests and interviews.

There is no course your brother needs other than the above.

I have coached a number of people for interviews of Big 4 and they got the jobs: http://www.jarushub.com/interview-coaching/

But you need to do your own part first by getting their invite and passing their tests.

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by kkmny81: 9:58am On Jun 29, 2015
M

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:59am On Jun 29, 2015
Jarus:

If you "just want to", there is no problem in it. Like I earlier said, it is not compulsory except you're going into the aforementioned fields.

There is no harm in doing it just for the sake of doing it. It broadens your horizon, and makes you versatile, and it can make a difference in future job search.

Personally, I never set out to be an accountant, I just started ICAN just to keep myself busy during my service year...but that was what got me job after NYSC, and I ended up being an accountant all my post-NYSC career. That was accidental. So you never can tell.

Similarly to you, I also began doing ACCA just to keep myself busy after my boss retired.. I was a fresh graduate working as an administrative PA .. when the job came to an end I didn't know what to do next and didn't wanna just go do masters for the sake of it..

.. after much prayers and thinking I felt I should go the professional route hence why I enrolled for ACCA. It's all new to me though.. my degree wasn't based in finance.. I did management and marketing.

Hoping ACCA would open new doors for me like ICAN did for you. smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by 400billionman: 10:10am On Jun 29, 2015
If you want, work for the big 10, you are still working for somebody and you cannot build your dreams..

Next !!!
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by vizboy(m): 10:11am On Jun 29, 2015
The Big Four Right.

Well I have Played For Man United, Chelsea And Arsenal And am Currently planning on Joining Manchester City.

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 29, 2015
lolaredvelvet:

Similarly to you, I also began doing ACCA just to keep myself busy after my boss retired.. I was a fresh graduate working as an administrative PA .. when the job came to an end I didn't know what to do next and didn't wanna just go do masters for the sake of it..

.. after much prayers and thinking I felt I should go the professional route hence why I enrolled for ACCA. It's all new to me though.. my degree wasn't based in finance.. I did management and marketing.

Hoping ACCA would open new doors for me like ICAN did for you. smiley

I studied Economics in school. I hated accounting like sh*t from secondary school through university.

I never for the life of me thought it was accounting job that will put food on my table.

I don't like being idle, and rather than waste my 1 year in a village in the North during my NYSC year, I decided to register for ICAN and keep myself busy.

I won prizes in the first stage I wrote and put it on my CV.

Fiam, it didn't take 2 weeks after NYSC before I got an accounting job, because of that. And all my 7 years post-NYSC career since then has been accounting job.

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 29, 2015
kkmny81:
Masonkz has said it all. Worked @ pwc for 4 years. Those were the best and worst years of my life. As you move up grades much more is expected of u. Key is being able to manage perception. Stress level is at roof level during peak periods when year end audit is ongoing (usually between Dec & March) afterwhich there is calm and more flexible work. You also get to work with the best brains in the industry, and have the best nights out on the island. Pay is nothing to write home about but the experience and exposure i got in those 4 years, i will not trade for anything.
@Jarus, I worked with u during the 2008 & 2009 Audit...no shout o!
@masonkz, are u still there? which BU?

Na una dey disturb me with impossible schedules. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 29, 2015
kkmny81:
Masonkz has said it all. Worked @ pwc for 4 years. Those were the best and worst years of my life. As you move up grades much more is expected of u. Key is being able to manage perception. Stress level is at roof level during peak periods when year end audit is ongoing (usually between Dec & March) afterwhich there is calm and more flexible work. You also get to work with the best brains in the industry, and have the best nights out on the island. Pay is nothing to write home about but the experience and exposure i got in those 4 years, i will not trade for anything.
@Jarus, I worked with u during the 2008 & 2009 Audit...no shout o!

@masonkz, are u still there? which BU?

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by idu1(m): 10:17am On Jun 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
What is a Big4 ??
4 writen in capital lettergrin
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 29, 2015
Jarus:

Na una dey disturb me with impossible schedules. grin cheesy

LOL. Some clients can be something else sha. Making your task even more difficult by providing schedules that don't tie to TB, etc.

While there are clients where some of the staff previously worked in Big 4s. Those ones will try to make your work even more challenging. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 29, 2015
Jarus:

I studied Economics in school. I hated accounting like sh*t from secondary school through university.

I never for the life of me thought it was accounting job that will put food on my table.

I don't like being idle, and rather than waste my 1 year in a village in the North during my NYSC year, I decided to register for ICAN and keep myself busy.

I won prizes in the first stage I wrote and put it on my CV.

Fiam, it didn't take 2 weeks after NYSC before I got an accounting job, because of that. And all my 7 years post-NYSC career since then has been accounting job.

Hahaha.. interesting story.. well, life always has a way of surprising us all.. me sef I never saw myself going down this route.. but it's all amazing and I look forward to future opportunities and achievements.. I hope u know how much u've inspired me in your own lil way today. smiley

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 29, 2015
Worked with PwC. About 5 years! Was great though challenging.

Also made it to the second stage interview with KPMG before I got PwC.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Young Boy Who Works As A Vulcanizer In Ibadan / Python Falls Through Ceiling Into Bank During Staff Meeting In China / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.