Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) (5161 Views)

I Started Masturbating At 4 After Seeing My Mum Go Unclad - Man Tells Pastor / Is The Story Of Jesus Christ Really Fake And Copied From Egyptian Mythology? / Is Jesus Simply The Retelling Of The Horus Mythology? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 11:11am On Jun 25, 2015
THE STORY OF HOW DAY AND NIGHT BEGAN (Igbo folklore)
Folklore is a way most cultures preserve their cultural background and mythology.
The Igbos are rich in mythologically rich folklores and i was opportuned to hear some from my parents.

I believe in this our 21st century, the age of computer and wonderful technologies. it's our duty to preserve our folklores and mythology and convey them to our children and their children after them when we might be called grand-pa/ma. smiley

This is a story you might find in different versions from different Igbo communities but let me tell the story based on what my dad told me. hope you enjoy it.

The hurricane lamp glowed with little tip-toeing amber light flickering on it casting a yellowish-gold amber light around the room, Papa's eyes sparkled from the glow, i sat quietly on my young tender legs curled in a lotus manner, my brothers and sisters sat around looking at papa. all was quiet, then papa began

[size=18]"Long ago when the skies were still land for squirrels, the world was young and the trees were brighter and greener, the sun was gentler and dimmer, bird songs filled the air.

Their was no day or night, people lived and slept anytime they want without any time determining phenomena.

A certain old widow lived in a village, she was wealthy as she was kind even though her husband was dead. She had many servants and workers taking care of her wealth but yet she lacked just one thing.

Many years after her marriage to her husband they had no child until her husband's death. she was unhappy even though she lacked nothing materially.

One day following the advice given by one of her servants she visited a very powerful dibia (native/witch doctor). who after some necessary sacrifices and incantations referred her to the land of ekwensu. **Ekwensu is the trickster and cunning/mischievous god in igbo pantheon)

"When you get to the land of ekwensu, you will see many choices of children. handsome ones, ugly ones, beautiful ones, handicapped and many more, you have to choose wisely" the dibia sang out

" but when you get to the land of ekwensu, you must wait until you hear mild ringing sounds then you can enter, but if you are hearing drum-like sounds you must never enter" The shaky voice of the dibia warned.

The old woman journeyed to the land of ekwensu, after many moons (months) of waiting of which the drum-like sound persisted, the soft ringing sound became audible replacing the drum-like sounds that have been sounding for many moons she was there.

She walked into ekwensu's land and met the god. Ekwensu told her all the good children he had went on an errand, she should go back and return later unless she would like to take the handsome boy standing at a corner but he was full of mischief, had a raging blood lust and magical abilities.

The woman after many minutes of thinking chose to take the boy instead of waiting many more moons before the next ringing sound or going home empty handed. The child was given to her making her very happy to have a handsome son now that will inherit her wealth.

The boy grew handsomely and strong, after many years his lust for blood crept in.
He started by beheading his mother's chickens one by one, the woman thought he would be ok once the chickens are all dead but he moved to the goats afterwards. Then he started with the cattles until all the old woman's live stocks were all beheaded.

He started beheading the slaves, moving into the village beheading people subduing them with magical charms until finally he beheaded his mother.

An old witch that lived in the outskirts of the village knew the evil boy would come for her soon and was not ready to loose her head to a little boy so she spent her time making charms that would make darkness fall so she can escape the evil boy.

As expected the evil boy visited the old woman with sharp shimmering blood ridden matchet charging towards the old woman.

She threw her charm on the ground and darkness fell making the boy not to see where she was.
The boy being a magically inclined being threw his own charm and light restored.

They kept on doing this for days, throwing the charms at interval inducing light and darkness. the woman was determined to survive but the boy was bent on having her head.

The 7th day of their struggle, worn out and tired. Both of them tiredly threw their charms together causing it to explode suddenly. the light and darkness stuck to the world permanently turning the woman to a cricket who always shrieks during the night and the evil child vanished forever.

And that is why till this day; The light and darkness charm shared the day into two equal parts coming out at interval because there is none that can stop them anymore, and the cricket always cries in the night.

That is why we have day and night in the world now..[/size]

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 25, 2015
I heard this story too....stuff my childhood was made of.

Lalasticlala, there is work to be done...if you know what i mean

2 Likes

Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by seemples(f): 12:41pm On Jun 25, 2015
This isn't just a folklore oo...if you ever heard the shrill incessant cry of just a single cricket you'll know its definitely bewitched! grin
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 1:28pm On Jun 25, 2015
seemples:
This isn't just a folklore oo...if you ever heard the shrill incessant cry of just a single cricket you'll know its definitely bewitched! grin

Hahahahahahahahaha Crazy Girl . . . grin
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jun 25, 2015
grin how did people ever believe this shit.no suprises thou when grown adults in this 21st century believe in d nonsense called xtianity.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 2:25pm On Jun 25, 2015
crusadistic:
grin how did people ever believe this shit.no suprises thou when grown adults in this 21st century believe in d nonsense called xtianity.

same way you believe that a sun baked 6th century Arab man was seeing an angel who dictated a book to him undecided
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 25, 2015
crusadistic:
The people back then knew that these were symbolic tales, meant to describe complex cosmic events. Unlike people today who ascribe literal meaning to similar tales emanating from christendom.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by seemples(f): 6:28pm On Jun 25, 2015
crusadistic:

johnydon22:

same way you believe that a sun baked 6th century Arab man was seeing an angel who dictated a book to him undecided

@Crusadistic na true? shocked shocked grin
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by Pr0ton: 6:37pm On Jun 25, 2015
johnydon22:
THE STORY OF HOW DAY AND NIGHT BEGAN (Igbo folklore)
Folklore is a way most cultures preserve their cultural background and mythology.
The Igbos are rich in mythologically rich folklores and i was opportuned to hear some from my parents.

I believe in this our 21st century, the age of computer and wonderful technologies. it's our duty to preserve our folklores and mythology and convey them to our children and their children after them when we might be called grand-pa/ma. smiley

This is a story you might find in different versions from different Igbo communities but let me tell the story based on what my dad told me. hope you enjoy it.

The hurricane lamp glowed with little tip-toeing amber light flickering on it casting a yellowish-gold amber light around the room, Papa's eyes sparkled from the glow, i sat quietly on my young tender legs curled in a lotus manner, my brothers and sisters sat around looking at papa. all was quiet, then papa began

[size=18]"Long ago when the skies were still land for squirrels, the world was young and the trees were brighter and greener, the sun was gentler and dimmer, bird songs filled the air.

Their was no day or night, people lived and slept anytime they want without any time determining phenomena.

A certain old widow lived in a village, she was wealthy as she was kind even though her husband was dead. She had many servants and workers taking care of her wealth but yet she lacked just one thing.

Many years after her marriage to her husband they had no child until her husband's death. she was unhappy even though she lacked nothing materially.

One day following the advice given by one of her servants she visited a very powerful dibia (native/witch doctor). who after some necessary sacrifices and incantations referred her to the land of ekwensu. **Ekwensu is the trickster and cunning/mischievous god in igbo pantheon)

"When you get to the land of ekwensu, you will see many choices of children. handsome ones, ugly ones, beautiful ones, handicapped and many more, you have to choose wisely" the dibia sang out

" but when you get to the land of ekwensu, you must wait until you hear mild ringing sounds then you can enter, but if you are hearing drum-like sounds you must never enter" The shaky voice of the dibia warned.

The old woman journeyed to the land of ekwensu, after many moons (months) of waiting of which the drum-like sound persisted, the soft ringing sound became audible replacing the drum-like sounds that have been sounding for many moons she was there.

She walked into ekwensu's land and met the god. Ekwensu told her all the good children he had went on an errand, she should go back and return later unless she would like to take the handsome boy standing at a corner but he was full of mischief, had a raging blood lust and magical abilities.

The woman after many minutes of thinking chose to take the boy instead of waiting many more moons before the next ringing sound or going home empty handed. The child was given to her making her very happy to have a handsome son now that will inherit her wealth.

The boy grew handsomely and strong, after many years his lust for blood crept in.
He started by beheading his mother's chickens one by one, the woman thought he would be ok once the chickens are all dead but he moved to the goats afterwards. Then he started with the cattles until all the old woman's live stocks were all beheaded.

He started beheading the slaves, moving into the village beheading people subduing them with magical charms until finally he beheaded his mother.

An old witch that lived in the outskirts of the village knew the evil boy would come for her soon and was not ready to loose her head to a little boy so she spent her time making charms that would make darkness fall so she can escape the evil boy.

As expected the evil boy visited the old woman with sharp shimmering blood ridden matchet charging towards the old woman.

She threw her charm on the ground and darkness fell making the boy not to see where she was.
The boy being a magically inclined being threw his own charm and light restored.

They kept on doing this for days, throwing the charms at interval inducing light and darkness. the woman was determined to survive but the boy was bent on having her head.

The 7th day of their struggle, worn out and tired. Both of them tiredly threw their charms together causing it to explode suddenly. the light and darkness stuck to the world permanently turning the woman to a cricket who always shrieks during the night and the evil child vanished forever.

And that is why till this day; The light and darkness charm shared the day into two equal parts coming out at interval because their is none that can stop them anymore, and the cricket always cries in the night.

That is why we have day and night in the world now..[/size]

A nice write-up, I must commend. smiley

1 Like

Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 7:58pm On Jun 25, 2015
What is the moral of this story?
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jun 25, 2015
finofaya:
i could also ask you what the moral of the creation myth in the bible is, answer-no moral(unless you decide to start attaching unnesccesary meanings to some things). So also this is also one of the 'why' stories-used to explain how day and night came to be

1 Like

Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by seemples(f): 10:49pm On Jun 25, 2015
finofaya:

Na sunday school class? smiley

The moral is ekwensu means i kwe, o su!
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by seemples(f): 10:53pm On Jun 25, 2015
All these atheist johnnydon followers sef....muntula wet blankets sad
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 10:56pm On Jun 25, 2015
seemples:
All these atheist johnnydon followers sef....muntula wet blankets sad
lol abeg wetin happen?
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 11:44pm On Jun 25, 2015
khupid:
i could also ask you what the moral of the creation myth in the bible is, answer-no moral(unless you decide to start attaching unnesccesary meanings to some things). So also this is also one of the 'why' stories-used to explain how day and night came to be

Wetin bring bible inside this one?

There is a satisfactory scientific explanation for night and day.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 11:47pm On Jun 25, 2015
finofaya:

Uuuuhm i don't get it but maybe you forgot where i said [size=20]Igbo mythology and folklore[/size]

You don't know what those means
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2015
seemples:

Na sunday school class? smiley

The moral is ekwensu means i kwe, o su!

No dey mention Sunday school for where this OP dey o. This is tales by moonlight.

One empty crate of limca for you, for your non explanation.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 11:57pm On Jun 25, 2015
johnydon22:

Uuuuhm i don't get it but maybe you forgot where i said [size=20]Igbo mythology and folklore[/size]

You don't know what those means

It's in /religion, so I was wondering what the story is for. smiley
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 12:05am On Jun 26, 2015
finofaya:

It's in /religion, so I was wondering what the story is for. smiley

it was trying to explain how day and night came to be just like other mythologies try to explain one thing or the other. . how earth came to be, how death came to be and other primitive mythologies.. the pyramid texts, bible, quran are all examples of works that possess such mythologies...

i expected you to know this...
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 12:14am On Jun 26, 2015
johnydon22:

it was trying to explain how day and night came to be just like other mythologies try to explain one thing or the other. . how earth came to be, how death came to be and other primitive mythologies.. the pyramid texts, bible, quran are all examples of works that possess such mythologies...

i expected you to know this...

Knowledge is not agreement.

You're an atheist. Atheists love objectivity. You spurn the other primitive mythologies you speak of. What is special about this one?
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 12:20am On Jun 26, 2015
finofaya:

Knowledge is not agreement.

You're an atheist. Atheists love objectivity. You spurn the other primitive mythologies you speak of. What is special about this one?

Nothing at all, its still a mythology like others nothing different.. Mythologies are colourful and a great way of entertainment, believing them as truth is exactly what i don't do...am sure if anybody tries to establish this particular myth as truth, i will be here to refute and spurn it.

i love reading them. . so i posted this local indigenous folklore for the so aim of entertainment.

Myths should be taught as myth and fable as fable. .

Am starting to think you couldn't comprehend that. . . Please next time try and understand the context of a post before rushing to bring on a point that is non-existent...
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 12:32am On Jun 26, 2015
johnydon22:

Nothing at all, its still a mythology like others nothing different.. Mythologies are colourful and a great way of entertainment, believing them as truth is exactly what i don't do...am sure if anybody tries to establish this particular myth as truth, i will be here to refute and spurn it.

i love reading them. . so i posted this local indigenous folklore for the so aim of entertainment.

Myths should be taught as myth and fable as fable. .

Am starting to think you couldn't comprehend that. . . Please next time try and understand the context of a post before rushing to bring on a point that is non-existent...

The context is that it is in /religion, but if you insist.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 12:36am On Jun 26, 2015
finofaya:

The context is that it is in /religion, but if you insist.
For the sake of argument; Which Religion exactly?

The context is that its just folklore.... Myth and it bears no weight on reality..

i don't know about you but i enjoy mythology and am sure gonna open

a thread on Tribunal of osiris (egyptian concept of judgement) the first

judgement and afterlife concept recorded in history.

which ever way you take it to mean practically is your cup of tea.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 12:43am On Jun 26, 2015
johnydon22:

For the sake of argument; Which Religion exactly?

The context is that its just folklore.... Myth and it bears no weight on reality..

i don't know about you but i enjoy mythology and am sure gonna open

a thread on Tribunal of osiris (egyptian concept of judgement) the first

judgement and afterlife concept recorded in history.

which ever way you take it to mean practically is your cup of tea.

nairaland.com/religion. If one didn't know better they would think you put it here because you wanted to share any religious aspect of it.

I'm sure we can learn a thing or two from the proposed thread on Osiris
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 12:49am On Jun 26, 2015
finofaya:

nairaland.com/religion. If one didn't know better they would think you put it here because you wanted to share any religious aspect of it.
Lol. . .Just to be clear thats a blatant misconception because first of all last time i checked folklore doesn't imply religious text..

I posted it on the religious section for audience and viewers entertainment...

I'm sure we can learn a thing or two from the proposed thread on Osiris
Yeah and i hope you don't go thinking that i believe it too
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 1:11am On Jun 26, 2015
johnydon22:

Lol. . .Just to be clear thats a blatant misconception because first of all last time i checked folklore doesn't imply religious text..

I posted it on the religious section for audience and viewers entertainment...

Who said folklore implies religious text?

Yeah and i hope you don't go thinking that i believe it too

Now that I've managed to get you to clarify yourself, no.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 1:16am On Jun 26, 2015
finofaya:

Who said folklore implies religious text?
If you didn't you wouldn't have asked me questions on it based on religious context even after seeing folklore boldly written on it . . .Your words below says it all.

Now that I've managed to get you to clarify yourself, no.
You see, when you couldn't distinguish between folklore and religious belief. . .How am i sure you wouldn't brand me an adherent of egyptian religion when i open the thread which will be based on egyptian religious text mythology.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 1:43am On Jun 26, 2015
johnydon22:
If you didn't you wouldn't have asked me questions on it based on religious context even after seeing folklore boldly written on it . . .Your words below says it all.

You're the one who boldly wrote folklore on it and went ahead to put it in /religion. I'm glad you know the meaning of folklore.

You see, when you couldn't distinguish between folklore and religious belief. . .How am i sure you wouldn't brand me an adherent of egyptian religion when i open the thread which will be based on egyptian religious text mythology.

Lol. Just say thank you for my help.
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by johnydon22(m): 7:17am On Jun 26, 2015
finofaya:

You're the one who boldly wrote folklore on it and went ahead to put it in /religion. I'm glad you know the meaning of folklore.

Lol. Just say thank you for my help.

so folklore posted on the religion section automatically becomes a religious text **Face palm**
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 26, 2015
finofaya:

sorry, i was assuming you were a christian who belueves in the judeo-christian creation myth. So i equated the igbo myth to the other myth in the bible 'cos they're both myths cheesy 8-)
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 7:42am On Jun 26, 2015
johnydon22:

so folklore posted on the religion section automatically becomes a religious text **Face palm**

I take it that you are facepalming at your lack of comprehension. smiley
Re: How Day & Night Started. . Igbo Folklore (igbo Mythology) by finofaya: 7:58am On Jun 26, 2015
khupid:
sorry, i was assuming you were a christian who belueves in the judeo-christian creation myth. So i equated the igbo myth to the other myth in the bible 'cos they're both myths cheesy 8-)

It's cool bro. cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chris Oyakhilome’s Younger Brother Also Accused Of Adultery (photo) / Money Drawing Soap And Oil / Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.