Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,599 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails (38073 Views)

Giant Land Snails Available For Sale In Large Quantities / I Killed This Giant Wild Cat For Killing My Chickens (Photos) / Matured African Giant Snail 4 Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by holar37(m): 4:05pm On Sep 14, 2015
dyoungforester:
Dyoung forester is now in Ibadan now , which I will be staying there for a whole one month as part of my experience scheme.

Hope u moved down with ur snails sir
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 7:33am On Sep 15, 2015
No sir, I didn't' but I have done the necessary preparation for them .
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by UrennaNkoli(f): 9:08am On Sep 15, 2015
dyoungforester:
Do you know that there are only three (3) species west African giant land snails, such snails are:-
Archachatina maginata ( Biggest of All snails),
Achatina achatina ( very rare to find and they hardly survive in captivity),
Achatina fulica ( most abundant)
Do you know that snails only have 28- 32 hatchability period and Archachatina maginata can lay eggs from 6-8 per day and have a maturity period between 10- 12 months while Achatina achatina and Achatina fulica share the same characteristics with each other such as their maturity period ( 6months), numbers of eggs per laying (50-300).
SNAILS HOUSING UNIT
For small scale
Woven Basket
Basket,
Old motor tyre
Large scale
A trench like fence
feeds
Pawpaw leaves
Amaranthus triangulae
Cocoa leaves
Formulated feeds
Eba
Rice without salt e.t.c

I heard if you feed snails with maggots they would grow fat? grin
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 12:44pm On Sep 15, 2015
OK sir .
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by plopapy: 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2015
For intensive and free range snail farm setting up, and management, treatment of all kinds of snail disease and infection, management and control, questions and solutions for u. call me at 08135634933.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by 4llyk: 8:13pm On Nov 28, 2015
Hello av realy been inspired with this forum. i was doing a research on Snail farming and i stumbled on this forum. God bless you @dyoung forester and av copied ur number the mtn and the glo but none is reachable pls can u reach me on 08086239367 i really need to speak with you.

Thanks and God bless you.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 11:07pm On Nov 28, 2015
OK I will copy your number and save it. Thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by thintug: 9:04am On Nov 30, 2015
please who has the contact of any of any processing plant/company in delta/edo,i have cassava to sell... please contact me thintug@gmail.com/ 0708 378 7394
thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by SANCTO: 3:08pm On Dec 18, 2015
dyoung forester u are God sent
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 9:59am On Dec 21, 2015
Thanks to you @ Sanctor. May God almighty help us all. Dyoung Forester.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by seunope2004(m): 1:45pm On Dec 22, 2015
dyoungforester, I really appreciate the quantity and quality of information you have freely given here. Am a little bit confuse about a matter and i need some clarification from you.

I went into the wild to get some snails, the snails look like the one you described in your picture but looks smaller. After about a month saw tiny eggs smaller than the one you showed in your pictures.

1) Do i have right snails?
2) Can Achatina fulica eggs be that small?

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 9:10pm On Dec 22, 2015
Boss Seun, Those tiny snails you held in your hands are called 'hatchlings' they were gotten from the snails eggs that had layed in your farm, all What you need to do is to gather them in one separate pen and feeds them with succulent leave like amaranths or chicken feeds.Thanks....For your effort... Dyoung forester.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by seunope2004(m): 7:28pm On Dec 24, 2015
dyoungforester:
Boss Seun, Those tiny snails you held in your hands are called 'hatchlings' they were gotten from the snails eggs that had layed in your farm, all What you need to do is to gather them in one separate pen and feeds them with succulent leave like amaranths or chicken feeds.Thanks....For your effort... Dyoung forester.

Thank you bro!
But they are not big like the one in your pictures
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 3:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
Good news to the snails lover in the house, Dyoung forester had found a viable free range farming / housing which l can recommend to the people are interested in the farming, I will update you with pics later... One love keep us together
Dyoung forester..
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 3:09pm On Jan 04, 2016
An entrepreneur/ entrepriser never quite when his goals keeps on rolling... in his dream.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 10:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
Free range

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 10:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
Free range 2

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 10:59pm On Jan 04, 2016
Inside

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 11:05pm On Jan 04, 2016
Inside 2

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 4:56pm On Jan 23, 2016
A customer once asked the following questions on snails production and its techniques, so I decided to share it so that other interesting fellows can benefit from it.

Question

Sir, what I want to know. 1 how many snails can the pen of length (7) feet, weight (6) feet, depth (4) feet, can the spaces contains 17000 snails. 2 planting inside pen, which types of crops can I plant, and how many months can the crops grow, before putting snails. 3 can I put the three types of species in one place. (BEST SPECIES) (a) archachatina. Marinate (b) archachatina. (c) archiving fulica. 4 which types of vegetable's Andy order leaves, waste food, which is very cheap. 5 how many litres of water can I pour in 170n00n snails in a pen, and how many times in a day.

Answer
Thanks for the question ma, 1. Length * breadth * height (7*6*4), this dimension is too small for the number of snails you intends to embark upon, I even thought, may be you wanted to type or say 1,700 and not 17,000 snails and if it is 17,000 that is a large production of snails you are intending to venture in, and it may require a plot of land for the construction of the snail housing. But if it is 1,700 snails you mean ma, and I think a dimension of 20*10*6(Length*breadth*height) would be better and more accommodating for both the present and for future benefit of the snails and its snailery when those snails would keep on reproducing, and regarding your dimension ma, I think it can only accommodate 500 -1000 snails. 2. You can plant the following crops/ plant such as tomatoes, vegetables, potatoes, cucumber, cocoa plant, tridax procumbens and other eatable plants. The plant would be better and ok to stock in around 2-3 months after the planting out, since the height would serve as shelter for them. 3. Yes you can stock in different species of snails in the same pen provided that the number of stocking snails are aggregate in terms of number I.e Archachatina marginata 20, Achatina fulica 20, Achatina achatina 20, with this, I think nothing would alter their productivity rate, but if the pen is spacious enough I think demarcation and compartment would be better for their housing system. 4. There are three different species of west African giant land snails, which are:- 1.Archachatina marginata 2. Achatina achatina 3. Achatina fulica. The best of them all are 1,2,3 in respective order. The most populous or common ones are 1,3,2 in respective order. The leaves have been stated above but regarding the waste food/ kitchen waste they consume the following food waste such are:- 1. Eba, fufu, rice, bread, pap, beans, banana and its peel, Maize shaft. E.t.c. 5. I can't say precisely this is the amount of litres of water to be used to moist your snailery is this. And note you can only moist the floor and not to wet it or it shouldn't be over logged. If for large snailery unit using a sprinkler would be the best but if it is a smaller ones using a hose pipe or a watery can should be adopted. Thanks For reading from Dyoung forester. Our Motto:- Breeding to be the best.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by seunope2004(m): 8:24pm On Feb 10, 2016
Thank you very much for the education you provide for us freely, i really appreciate it. My issue is that about 100 fulica hatchlings just dried up dead after about a month of life. I saw small white ant inside their transparent shell and when i crush the shell it is dry. The little snail was put in a separate container, with humus soil, under shed from sun and feed with water leaf. Am i missing smth
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 11:18am On Feb 11, 2016
Thanks@seun, u did the right things, but the soil should be loamy not humus soil.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Ifedayour007(m): 2:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
dyoungforester:
Are you thinking that it is only snails you will just waste such a land for just in the name SEMI INTENSIVE system...
Semi intensive system is a simple system where you want to mimic the natural habitat of those snails on a demarcated free range with planting of their feeds and likewise incorporating their artificially made feeds.
Semi intensive =Free range with demarcated post+your monitoring.
Do you know what it is called multiple land used system ( it mean using a piece of land with more than one purposes)........it goes like this
You plant arable crops and tree, shrubs and other shaded plant for the snail.
Plants to be planted most be their feeds such as
Pawpaw
Cassava
Moringa tree,
Cocoa yam
Tridax procubens
Amaranths
Maize
Banana
plantain and other choice of your plants.
And the planted crops can be harvested after reaching the harvesting point and your snails still continues flourish and grow. You will get incomes in two fold snails and arable crops without affecting the snails.Thanks Dyoung forester

You are the boss. I am really interested in Snail farming. Please send me your whats-app number..
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 9:35am On Feb 12, 2016
Thanks, 07066444540
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Urbangrow: 2:56pm On Mar 03, 2016
Hi
please can anyone identify what specie of snails is in the attached picture?
There seems to be a lot of baby snails that have the same shape as the crawling ones on the picture in one my snail pens. I have attached the 3rd picture of the baby snails.

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 10:44am On Mar 04, 2016
That is Achatina fulica
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Johnnyessence(m): 3:52pm On Mar 04, 2016
welldone on ur project bro love these snails ooooo. keep up the good work moving sir.following patiently
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by orlard3(m): 6:17pm On Mar 04, 2016
dyoungforester:
That is Achatina fulica

Tnx for all info, i will like to visit ur farm wenever i'm in abeokuta. Add me to ur watsapp 08053030955
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Austin234(m): 3:33pm On Jul 28, 2016
I read frm zero page to the point of my reply.

Can 200k give me a complete snailery with 5,000 maginata snails on it? Cost of land excluded
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 3:56am On Aug 09, 2016
yes it will sir, just make sure you do all the necessary things regarding the snailery and the snails you wanna stock in.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 9:14am On Aug 10, 2016
Morning to you all, I'm available now, if you have any question to ask me you may ask and answer sha be provided. Thanks.
Dyoung forester.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Danoluwa(m): 10:34am On Aug 10, 2016
Pls on the average, how much will it cost to build a free range on a plot of land?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Flood Destroys Garba Shehu's Farm In Jigawa State (Pictures) / $150million OLAM Integrated Feedmill And Poultry In Kaduna State (Photos) / Our Farm Attacked Again With Biological Weapon By Our Host Community!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.