Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration (38548 Views)

Diamond Bank Staff Wear School Uniforms To Celebrate Children's Day (Photos) / Tony Elumelu As Allstates Trust Bank Staff (1994 Throwback Photo) / When CBN Extends BVN Registration Date (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by lalasticlala(m): 5:13pm On Jun 25, 2015
The rush to beat the bank verification number enrollment deadline took an ugly turn in Enugu on Thursday as customers of an old generation bank engaged in fisticuffs with staff of the bank inside the banking hall.

The deadline for the BVN enrollment exercise is June 30, 2015, and in Enugu, customers who are yet to enroll have been gripped by fear over insinuations that there bank accounts would be frozen, arbitrarily.

The insistence on the BVN by bank cashiers before attending to customers had heightened such fears.
The development has led to unusually large turnout of customers at banking halls in the Coal City since the beginning of the week.
Some of the customers arrive at the banks as early as 6am in a bid to secure vantage positions on the BVN enrollment queue before banking operations commence by 8am.

Customers who are not able to enroll or complete their enrollment have to return the next day.
Our correspondent observed that some customers have been trying to enroll for several days, but have not been able to do so as a result of the
massive crowd in the banking halls.

The situation is also posing a major challenge to staff of the banks, who are finding it very difficult to manage the crowds.
However, the matter took a different turn at an old generation bank, located in the Independence Layout area of Enugu, when security personnel and staff of the financial institution asked some customers to go outside the banking hall to wait for their turn.

About a hundred customers, who had been converging on the bank since 6am, had trooped into the banking hall when the doors were opened by 8am.

In a bid to maintain order, the bank officials asked the first ten among the customers to fill the BVN forms and join about thirty others who did not complete the registration the previous day, for the enrollment.

The other customers were told to leave the banking hall, and wait outside.
But the directive did not go down well with the customers, who protested in loud voices, causing commotion inside the usually serene banking hall.

Customers also quarreled among themselves in the struggle to be the first to be attended to.
The situation degenerated to a full blown fight when some customers violently resisted an attempt by the bank staff to lead them out of the banking hall.

In the ensuing fracas, a young man engaged an armed mobile policeman, who was attached to the bank, in a physical combat, while another customer, also a young man, exchanged blows with a bank staff who was admonishing him to leave the hall.
The situation further escalated as some customers, who wanted to capitalise on the confusion to move to the front of the queue, were physically resisted by those who were already there.

Normalcy eventually returned after other bank security personnel, who were outside, stormed the banking hall to overpower the violent customers.

Our correspondent, who witnessed the incident, observed that the late rush for the BVN appeared to have overwhelmed the bank staff as customers who were not among the first 100 and were already in the bank by 10am were told to return the next day.
The branch manager of the bank later announced that the bank would open on Saturday to continue the enrollment.

In a brief encounter with our correspondent, the branch manager, who did not disclose her name, expressed annoyance at the development.
She noted that the customers waited until the last minute before coming to enroll for the BVN.

But she also noted that an extension of the enrollment window would be in the best interest of both the bankers and the customers.
Customers who spoke to our correspondent urged the Central Bank of Nigeria to extend the deadline.
“They should extend it to give us time to register conveniently, now that the awareness is there.
“I have been coming here since Monday, yet I have not registered.

“The stress is too much, whenever it’s getting to my turn they will tell us to come the next day and I have been coming from a far place,” a customer who simply identified himself as Nnaji, said.

Another customer, a nursing mother, who gave her name as Mrs. Okeke, also prayed for an extension.
She said it was not easy for her to carry her baby while struggling to do the enrollment.

However, our correspondent observed that pregnant women, nursing mothers and the elderly were given more urgent attention.
Most of the customers complained that they had to leave their jobs, businesses, as well as studies, to queue up for the BVN registration.

http://www.punchng.com/news/customers-bank-staff-fight-over-bvn-registration/
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by preizton(m): 5:13pm On Jun 25, 2015
We Nigerians love working by deadline. I think that the banks should adopt a more friendly approach to this verification exercise just as the telcos did during the simreg exercise.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by INTROVERT(f): 5:14pm On Jun 25, 2015
Why fight when it will be extended to december

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by vickylois(f): 5:14pm On Jun 25, 2015
cry
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Nomzylicious(f): 5:16pm On Jun 25, 2015
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by msmon(m): 5:17pm On Jun 25, 2015
'In Nigeria, we fight over everything'. Fighting on the of floor of NASS, fighting in the bank. Lol.

Married Men And Women: Is It A Must You Dinner With Your Spouses?
www.nairaland.com/2405139/married-men-women-it-must

4 Likes

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by importexpert(m): 5:17pm On Jun 25, 2015
who is mike tyson or muhammd ali among them grin?
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 25, 2015
this BVN saga get as he be. hope fraud no go enter nw.
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by preizton(m): 5:20pm On Jun 25, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by preizton(m): 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2015
INTROVERT:
Why fight when it will be extended to december
Do u need my FTC acre of land? Cos, i know that its ur favourite spot.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by englishmart(m): 5:22pm On Jun 25, 2015
got my bvn from the UK. Hope it works here
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by jeffizy(m): 5:23pm On Jun 25, 2015
Our country's name should have been RUSSIA.

So much last minute rush and fire brigade approach in all fields. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by wise7(m): 5:28pm On Jun 25, 2015
No pinshure
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by siegfried99(m): 5:30pm On Jun 25, 2015
Hmmmmn

* * * climbs ugwu tree to observe ** cheesy
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 5:31pm On Jun 25, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Acekidc4(m): 5:34pm On Jun 25, 2015
Too Bad
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Abiagirl777(f): 5:39pm On Jun 25, 2015
thank God I was urgently attended to when I went there.
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Whizzcute(m): 6:32pm On Jun 25, 2015
. grin.
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Viktor1983(m): 6:58pm On Jun 25, 2015
Nigerians Love deadlines. BVN wey i collect October last year? shuo!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 25, 2015
Same thing happened during INEC's voters' registration then. Even if they advertise from Now till kingdom come, Nigerian peeps would never do things promptly. Deadline is the only thing that Nigerians understand. Let them hear the phrase "closing on ......" and they would create the same time they were complaining they didn't have before.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 25, 2015
undecided

1 Like

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 25, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Tberry01(f): 7:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by lovinhubby2wife(m): 7:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
Nigerians and ours last minute rush.
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by boolet: 7:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
What's the essence
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by adorablepepple(f): 7:09pm On Jun 25, 2015
Good, the most annoying thing is that this banks will have just one system for the BVN with only one staff attending to hundreds of people,it's wrong very wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Ucheosefoh(m): 7:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
Nawa all this long story without pictures or video #hiss and leave thread.
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
Nigerians.....refuse to do things on time!
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by sexaddict08(m): 7:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
something wey I don do since January na him una dey fight for for June...
una try, something na free still una no do am since
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by tiamiyukunle69(m): 7:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
Why wait till last minute? Nigerians sef.....even if dem they share money some people go still wait till last minute. SMH angry

1 Like

Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by tunwumi: 7:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
Redh
Re: Customers, Bank Staff Fight Over BVN Registration by sexaddict08(m): 7:11pm On Jun 25, 2015
my country people I hail oooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja Residents Auction Exotic Cars To Raise Cash / Kuda Bank Lost ₦6 Billion In 2021 / I Have 30k-40k As A Student, What Business/Investment Can I Start?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.