Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert (97587 Views)

What You Should Know About Building Foundations / Ask Me Any Question On Building Construction Project! / Types Of Foundations In Building Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by money121(m): 4:35am On Jul 10, 2015

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 5:42pm On Jul 11, 2015
Cc: opalu Sir will reinforced concrete of 12mm rod placed on the four corners of a four bedroom bungalow without placing it on all the exterior wall joint be able to carry concrete fascia? Using a mix ratio of 1:2:4. Thanks.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by joshua112: 7:52pm On Jul 11, 2015
opalu:

First check whether the site requires sand filling first before the foundation. As for what depth of foundation to will depend on careful site examination.
Since its bungalow, the foundation is not too critical though there are bungalows that experience faulty foundation.
If I see your architectural and the site pictures
I could tell you what foundation to use

thanks oga opalu so pls can u send me ur email add so I can send the plan and site pix.thanks
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 3:29am On Jul 12, 2015
snakebeat:
Cc: opalu Sir will reinforced concrete of 12mm rod placed on the four corners of a four bedroom bungalow without placing it on all the exterior wall joint be able to carry concrete fascia? Using a mix ratio of 1:2:4. Thanks.

I didn't quite get you. However it better to run a roof beam from which a concrete facial is anchored. It depends also on the dimensions of the buildings

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 5:03am On Jul 12, 2015
opalu:

I didn't quite get you. However it better to run a roof beam from which a concrete facial is anchored. It depends also on the dimensions of the buildings
Thanks a lot sir.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by sylvesu: 11:26am On Jul 12, 2015
Bros Good morning oh. Thanks for sharing from your wealth of building experience. I am currently building a 4 bedroom duplex ( with attached 2 bedroom, a maid's room and vistor's room. I need some one to help validate boq prepared by my architect. Can you be of help. Regards
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by manwonder: 12:27pm On Jul 14, 2015
Hello OP, still expecting your mail on the estimates. Thanks.

opalu:

A. The foundation for bungalow is not as critical as that for a storey building. In as much as I don't know the sub soil situation, I will also be interested in determining the suitable compound level for the site. There was this Joint Venture our company wanted to embark upon at Osapa. The owner had developed two luxury blocks of flats with good foundations but without caring to find the good datum level. Therefore when Lagos state constructed the road, the road level was at the ground floor widow level of the 2 multistory buildings. Therefore just a single rainfall fills the compound like a swimming pool. It doesn't get dry before the next rainfall.
So back to your question, you can use Reinforced Wide strip foundation of short raft. The reason is to tie the entire foundation so that they act as a single unit.
I have used smaller pad foundation for bungalow due to the nature of the soil. There are things an Engineer can see by site visitation that pictures may not cover.

b. The materials are granite, Sharp sand, Cement and Water. You are add some reinforcement depending on what your Structural Engineer on Site advises.

C. & D. Send me your email
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by erico2k2(m): 9:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
opalu:

quick question what would be the required rod for suspended slab aka decking,16 mm or 12 mm?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:10am On Jul 15, 2015
erico2k2:

quick question what would be the required rod for suspended slab aka decking,16 mm or 12 mm?

Either can be used however the most common rod used for suspended slab is Y12.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:12am On Jul 15, 2015
manwonder:
Hello OP, still expecting your mail on the estimates. Thanks.

Am so sorry I have been engrossed in other projects. I will send it soon
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:15am On Jul 15, 2015
sylvesu:
Bros Good morning oh. Thanks for sharing from your wealth of building experience. I am currently building a 4 bedroom duplex ( with attached 2 bedroom, a maid's room and vistor's room. I need some one to help validate boq prepared by my architect. Can you be of help. Regards

Okay. Do send to my email. But I will only be free by this coming weekend to tidy all my requests from fellow NLanders
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by erico2k2(m): 12:34pm On Jul 15, 2015
opalu:

Either can be used however the most common rod used for suspended slab is Y12.
thanks man.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 12:12am On Jul 16, 2015
erico2k2:

thanks man.

Welcome
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 12:32am On Jul 16, 2015
DAYSTAR SHELTER LTD
Our company was established to establish timeless structures and infrastructures that outlast generations. We develop our housing estates as well as construct for individuals and corporate bodies. We don't just build homes, we build peace of mind!

WHY WE ARE FAR AHEAD-
1. PRODUCT
Apart from the fact that we offer Insured Buildings to our clients, in our projects, we use grade 30 concrete and on most of our sites we utilise Ready-mix prepared from the concrete yards and transported to site. The pouring is done through mechanised pumping technology. This assures us of greater quality and efficiency.
2. PEOPLE
Our company does not tell our people to be excellent, we simply engage excellent people. Built solely on integrity and expertise, we work with some of the best brains and hands in the industry. Heading the pack is one of the leading Structural Engineers in West Africa Engr Abraham Ayegba Opaluwa, the inventor of 'Opacoding' an innovation to determine and extend the lifespan of buildings and bridges.
3. PRICING
Our construction prices for delivering projects are the most competitive. So are the houses we develop. For instance in Lekki Phase 1, we sell a 4-Bedroom duplex for between N65M-N82M depending on the features. The same goes for N120m and below. In Ogidan part of Lekki, the same duplex that is sold for N50M we deliver at N33M with private swimming pool! We are already packaging the best project deals for Lagos Mainland, Abuja city and Port - Harcourt. Don't forget our buildings are executed with the same concrete that is used for solid bridges!
4. POLICIES
Our company has the most attractive company policies that protect our clients. First is that we now operate N100% Money Refund Policy. This means that if you are not satisfied with our service or product, you can walk up to us to ask for a refund of your money paid and it will be done. Of course since we know the authenticity of our lands and the quality that has gone into the construction so we have nothing to fear. Another policy to help take the risks off our esteemed clients is that our buildings are Insured with Zenith Insurance one of the biggest names in that sector. So our clients have nothing to worry about. Thirdly, we have a strong Mortgage Policy. Our buyers who require a very flexible payment spread can key into the mortgage via First Bank's FBN Mortgages or GTBank's Imperial Homes.
5. PLACES
Our estates are located at developed parts of the cities. We are not that company that sends families into undeveloped secluded and dangerous forests with the promise that development will reach it in next 10 years. If we do any estate in the forest, then we turn that place into a fully functional city before occupation.
Our ongoing and proposed projects are located in LAGOS: Lekki phase 1, Osapa London, Ogidan, Surulere, Gbagada, Banana Island, Amuwo-odofin and Isheri. ABUJA: Wuse, Maitama, Jabi and Life Camp.
We deliver micro - Estates and mega - Estates depending on land size but ALL our estates have great prestigious locations that you have ever dreamt of. Our lands are authentic with good titles.

No project is too small or too big for us to execute either as a private project or as an estate. For outright sale or for joint - venture. Give us a try!
www.daystarshelter.com
Km 46 Lekki-Epe Expressway Lagos

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 8:24am On Jul 16, 2015
money121:
@op nice job....

Thanks
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by drealaz24(m): 10:11am On Jul 16, 2015
Good morning, my ogas. I just acquired an acre of land in a "near virgin area". pls I will like to know the number of blocks needed to fence it round. each plot measures 60 by 120.

six feet high is ok.

and probably the number of cements

I am just trying to figure out d cost.

thanks
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by drealaz24(m): 10:15am On Jul 16, 2015
opalu:
DAYSTAR SHELTER LTD
Our company was established to establish timeless structures and infrastructures that outlast generations. We develop our housing estates as well as construct for individuals and corporate bodies. We don't just build homes, we build peace of mind!

WHY WE ARE FAR AHEAD-
1. PRODUCT
Apart from the fact that we offer Insured Buildings to our clients, in our projects, we use grade 30 concrete and on most of our sites we utilise Ready-mix prepared from the concrete yards and transported to site. The pouring is done through mechanised pumping technology. This assures us of greater quality and efficiency.
2. PEOPLE
Our company does not tell our people to be excellent, we simply engage excellent people. Built solely on integrity and expertise, we work with some of the best brains and hands in the industry. Heading the pack is one of the leading Structural Engineers in West Africa Engr Abraham Ayegba Opaluwa, the inventor of 'Opacoding' an innovation to determine and extend the lifespan of buildings and bridges.
3. PRICING
Our construction prices for delivering projects are the most competitive. So are the houses we develop. For instance in Lekki Phase 1, we sell a 4-Bedroom duplex for between N65M-N82M depending on the features. The same goes for N120m and below. In Ogidan part of Lekki, the same duplex that is sold for N50M we deliver at N33M with private swimming pool! We are already packaging the best project deals for Lagos Mainland, Abuja city and Port - Harcourt. Don't forget our buildings are executed with the same concrete that is used for solid bridges!
4. POLICIES
Our company has the most attractive company policies that protect our clients. First is that we now operate N100% Money Refund Policy. This means that if you are not satisfied with our service or product, you can walk up to us to ask for a refund of your money paid and it will be done. Of course since we know the authenticity of our lands and the quality that has gone into the construction so we have nothing to fear. Another policy to help take the risks off our esteemed clients is that our buildings are Insured with Zenith Insurance one of the biggest names in that sector. So our clients have nothing to worry about. Thirdly, we have a strong Mortgage Policy. Our buyers who require a very flexible payment spread can key into the mortgage via First Bank's FBN Mortgages or GTBank's Imperial Homes.
5. PLACES
Our estates are located at developed parts of the cities. We are not that company that sends families into undeveloped secluded and dangerous forests with the promise that development will reach it in next 10 years. If we do any estate in the forest, then we turn that place into a fully functional city before occupation.
Our ongoing and proposed projects are located in LAGOS: Lekki phase 1, Osapa London, Ogidan, Surulere, Gbagada, Banana Island, Amuwo-odofin and Isheri. ABUJA: Wuse, Maitama, Jabi and Life Camp.
We deliver micro - Estates and mega - Estates depending on land size but ALL our estates have great prestigious locations that you have ever dreamt of. Our lands are authentic with good titles.

No project is too small or too big for us to execute either as a private project or as an estate. For outright sale or for joint - venture. Give us a try!
www.daystarshelter.com
Km 46 Lekki-Epe Expressway Lagos

may God continue to take u to higher places

I am inspired

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 11:50am On Jul 16, 2015
drealaz24:
Good morning, my ogas. I just acquired an acre of land in a "near virgin area". pls I will like to know the number of blocks needed to fence it round. each plot measures 60 by 120.

six feet high is ok.

thanks
Do u want to fence d entire acre?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by erico2k2(m): 6:55pm On Jul 16, 2015
drealaz24:

six feet high is ok.

thanks
get 6 inches block 2000, would do, that's what I used on mine.

2 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:18am On Jul 17, 2015
drealaz24:
six feet high is ok.
thanks

erico2k2:

get 6 inches block 2000, would do, that's what I used on mine.

2000 blocks for an acre? Was it an acre you fenced at 1.8m height?
I think he should make plan for 4000+ blocks there about.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:21am On Jul 17, 2015
drealaz24:

may God continue to take u to higher places

I am inspired

Thanks

Thanks alot
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 7:39am On Jul 18, 2015
Compliments of the season to all our Muslims on Nairaland.com.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by manwonder: 8:49am On Jul 19, 2015
opalu:

Okay. Do send to my email. But I will only be free by this coming weekend to tidy all my requests from fellow NLanders

Hello OP, hope you're enjoying the long holiday weekend. Please, do remember to send me the estimate since you'd be treating all Nairaland requests during the break. Thanks.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by erico2k2(m): 11:06pm On Jul 21, 2015
opalu:

2000 blocks for an acre? Was it an acre you fenced at 1.8m height?
I think he should make plan for 4000+ blocks there about.
nah I meant for one plot ie 100x50

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by babaeko1: 3:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Oga.

I have another question for you, after a decking slab is in place, lets assume that decking and staircase was casted on a Monday, when then block setting begin ?

If one is to have a pent covering a 3rd of the floor space on the second floor, how soon can the decking for the pent start after the decking for the first floor is casted, and when can the block setting for the pent floor also start ?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 7:07am On Jul 23, 2015
erico2k2:

nah I meant for one plot ie 100x50

Okay. I would have asked you to show me the secret oo

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 7:08am On Jul 23, 2015
babaeko1:
Oga.

I have another question for you, after a decking slab is in place, lets assume that decking and staircase was casted on a Monday, when then block setting begin ?

If one is to have a pent covering a 3rd of the floor space on the second floor, how soon can the decking for the pent start after the decking for the first floor is casted, and when can the block setting for the pent floor also start ?

Thanks in advance.

Concrete achieves high degree of strength at 21 days.
It gains full strength at 28 days for ordinary portland cement.
However, in practical site work, you can start laying blocks on a suspended slab 3 days after casting with proper wetting. Provided there is adequate propping supports (bamboo or acrow props) beneath.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by babaeko1: 10:37pm On Jul 23, 2015
Thank you very much for answering my question. How about a pent which only covers a third of the floor space.

Let's assume block work can start 3 days after decking. When can a next decking start (pent) ?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 7:00am On Jul 25, 2015
LOW COST HOUSING COMES TO LEKKI AT LAST!!

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Mapletraks: 9:21am On Jul 26, 2015
opalu:
I have been involved in the structural corrections of more than 1,250 buildings that were wrongly built in the past 10 years.
In all, I have discovered the major reasons why buildings fail structurally are
1. Lack of professionals on the project. The some sub reasons that owners give are that they don't have money to pay them since their charges are avoidable. And also that they themselves have ideas about buildings etc. When there are no professionals on the project, such project will not have the necessary CORRECT designs/drawings. Such projects won't have the right professionals Supervising the Construction Process.
2. Another major reason for Structural failure and foundation issues is the use of substandard materials. These include reinforcements, Sharp sands, Granites, Cement even Water etc. So many Rebars being used can easily cut or rust. Water that contains impurities is not safe for concrete a since those impurities attack the concrete. (Chemistry 101). A Man wanted quote one day and I gave him. But he went for one desperate Contractor who used filling sand to cast concrete! After 6 months, the suspended slab (decking) started vibrating like water bed. I was also called upon and i corrected it at a cost 3 times the cost to build a solid slab. In addition, using the same size of granite (coarse aggregate ) can weaken the concrete.
3. Another reason for failure in buildings is the use of wrong methodology in construction. For instance there is a method whereby wet concrete is vibrated in order to expel voids and holes inside. If you are using pole vibrator, it has to be poked into it left in there for brief interval and removed and poked somewhere else. Some quack roadside casters just use stick to shook here and there or hit here and there. Even if the vibrating machine is used wrongly, it will trap voids. Every construction work has best practice that if not followed, the result will be bad. Another example is that when a carpenter lays the 1x12 for first floor slab, every hole between the planks must be covered with well sliced cement bags nailed with tiny nails. This should be done before laying of reinforcement. Reason being that when casting is done, the wet concrete usually slip through those holes thereby weakening the lower part of the slab which is subjected to tensile stress. But due to the leakage of the concrete at that bottom, what plasterers usually do is to fill it with mortar before plastering suffix of slab. But don't forget that the reinforcement were exposed before. So structurally, the bottom reinforcement is nonexistent. So when there are tensile forces, the slab cannot withstand them and what do you get? CRACKS!!! Then your fine POP starts cracking, blocks starts detaching at first floor and even crack etc.

Let me stop and await your questions.

^^^^^^^^
@Opalu

This is a GREAT, straight-to-the-point
post/thread YOU have here.

On the other hand, I have a quick question,
with the constant flooding of some highbrow
estates in the Ajah/Lekki axis such as VGC,
during the rainy seasons, what is the medium
to long-term effect of this on the structure
of the gated estate buildings if NOT resolved
on time?

Thanks again for the illuminating info on
this thread. smiley
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 6:00pm On Jul 29, 2015
Mapletraks:

^^^^^^^^
@Opalu

This is a GREAT, straight-to-the-point
post/thread YOU have here.

On the other hand, I have a quick question,
with the constant flooding of some highbrow
estates in the Ajah/Lekki axis such as VGC,
during the rainy seasons, what is the medium
to long-term effect of this on the structure
of the gated estate buildings if NOT resolved
on time?

Thanks again for the illuminating info on
this thread. smiley

Buildings and their foundatons can be designed to perpetually remain in water. The truth is that good concrete mix without void and with great protection can last in water for God-knows-when. A smart Engr will assume the worst case scenario in which the foundation of the Lekki building remains in water.
Truth is that there is little a house owner or professional can do to totally remove underground water. However proper drainage must be done to eliminate surface flooding and retention of water around the building for too long since most buildings in the highbrow estates were done without making allowance for the said 'worst case scenario '.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by abouzaid: 6:20pm On Jul 29, 2015
joshua112:

thanks oga opalu so pls can u send me ur email add so I can send the plan and site pix.thanks
please also send it to this email greenermodels@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Contact Us For Your Electrical/mechanical(Plumbing) Design And Installation / Latest Promo Price For Stone Coated Roof Sheets / Abandoned Home Of Aleister Crowley: Satanist & Wickedest Man In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.