Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,673 members, 7,801,938 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert (97469 Views)

What You Should Know About Building Foundations / Ask Me Any Question On Building Construction Project! / Types Of Foundations In Building Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 10:55pm On Aug 11, 2015
erico2k2:
who can tell me howmany bags of cement plus volume of concrete needed to do this german floor??
What is the thickness?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by erico2k2(m): 11:23pm On Aug 11, 2015
snakebeat:

What is the thickness?
6"
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 8:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
erico2k2:

6"
Volume of concrete 51.1294 cubic m, 223bags using a mix ratio of 1:3:6. Wastage/ shrinkage inclusive.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by erico2k2(m): 7:19pm On Aug 13, 2015
snakebeat:

Volume of concrete 51.1294 cubic m, 223bags using a mix ratio of 1:3:6. Wastage/ shrinkage inclusive.
Thanks loads I appreciate, I take it 1 Bag,3 gravel, 6 sand
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 7:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
erico2k2:

Thanks loads I appreciate, I take it 1 Bag,3 gravel, 6 sand
No sir, 1bag, 3headpan of sand, 6hpan of gravel or granite...
But u multiply the fine & coarse agg. By 2 when working on site..
Thanks.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 10:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
snakebeat:

No sir, 1bag, 3headpan of sand, 6hpan of gravel or granite...
But u multiply the fine & coarse agg. By 2 when working on site..
Thanks.

Why it is multiplied by 2 is because one bag of cement is made up of 2 head pans.
So when you have a mix ratio of 1:2:4 , if you pour 1 bag (which is 2 head pans) of cement into the Conc Mixer, then u have to pour 4 head pans of Sharp sand and 8 head pans of granite.

Similar do to 1:3:6
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 13, 2015
Please educate me on something called "foundation panelling".

It was proposed to me to be a cost saving method to do my bungalow foundation since we'll be doing a german floor anyways.

Thanks.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by semitunde: 12:22am On Aug 14, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Please educate me on something called "foundation panelling".

It was proposed to me to be a cost saving method to do my bungalow foundation since we'll be doing a german floor anyways.

Thanks.

Foundation panelling. It helps when you want to make repairs that require removing the concrete slab. You just remove or break the slab of the panel within the area you want to work on. At least that's what I know.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 5:37am On Aug 14, 2015
opalu:

Why it is multiplied by 2 is because one bag of cement is made up of 2 head pans.
So when you have a mix ratio of 1:2:4 , if you pour 1 bag (which is 2 head pans) of cement into the Conc Mixer, then u have to pour 4 head pans of Sharp sand and 8 head pans of granite.

Thanks a lot sir...

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by erico2k2(m): 8:49am On Aug 14, 2015
opalu:

Excellent. I grab it.I guess to achieve this perfectly I need to deploy a concrete mixer

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 9:35am On Aug 14, 2015
semitunde:

Foundation panelling. It helps when you want to make repairs that require removing the concrete slab. You just remove or break the slab of the panel within the area you want to work on. At least that's what I know.
But sir won't this detract from the bonding of the concrete? Cc: opalu
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by semitunde: 9:52am On Aug 14, 2015
snakebeat:

Bonding between the panels? It depends on what purpose you want to achieve and type of foundation you have. Its not advisable you do this in a raft foundation for example. But for a pad foundation like the one in the pix I posted, you can have the slab panelled. When its totally finished you might not really notice the panelling there and the bonding issue here is negligible.

Many fuel stations use this style. Go and check.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 10:07am On Aug 14, 2015
semitunde:

Bonding between the panels? It depends on what purpose you want to achieve and type of foundation you have. Its not advisable you do this in a raft foundation for example. But for a pad foundation like the one in the pix I posted, you can have the slab panelled. When its totally finished you might not really notice the panelling there and the bonding issue here is negligible.

Many fuel stations use this style. Go and check.
Thanks my brother.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 7:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
snakebeat:

If it is a Ground floor slab of a simple building, it has to be Monolithic. Meaning the floor has to act as a single entity.
But if the span is becoming too large to the point that it will react to Extreme weather conditions, then expansion/construction joints have to be introduced as shown in picture above.
It is the same principle used in Filling station slabs as well as Bridge decks

2 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 8:30pm On Aug 14, 2015
opalu:

If it is a Ground floor slab of a simple building, it has to be Monolithic. Meaning the floor has to act as a single entity.
But if the span is becoming too large to the point that it will react to Extreme weather conditions, then expansion/construction joints have to be introduced as shown in picture above.
It is the same principle used in Filling station slabs as well as Bridge decks
Thanks a lot...
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by micgray100(m): 8:38pm On Aug 14, 2015
Nice work you guys are doing here... I hope I am welcome to this forum.. It is actually the field I specialize.. I am a structural engineer by profession.. Engr A.L Onakomaya MNSE.. I will be glad to share my knowledge with you guys... Cheers..

3 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 14, 2015
micgray100:
Nice work you guys are doing here... I hope I am welcome to this forum.. It is actually the field I specialize.. I am a structural engineer by profession.. Engr A.L Onakomaya MNSE.. I will be glad to share my knowledge with you guys... Cheers..

Welcome Sir.

We've been waiting for folks like you. I mean credentialed engineer and not "Baba Lati" the bricklayer who also calls himself an engineer grin
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 8:36am On Aug 15, 2015
micgray100:

Highly welcome Bro.
Monitor the thread from time to time to help answer some questions from sincere Nigerians here.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by erico2k2(m): 11:47am On Aug 15, 2015
micgray100:
We welcome you to our humble page where we respect everybody.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 1:36pm On Aug 15, 2015
Example of building done without the right Professionals.

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 4:52pm On Aug 15, 2015
opalu:
Example of building done without the right Professionals.
Lol...
This is quite funny... cheesy
After thought...
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by RMU: 1:21pm On Aug 16, 2015
Thanks Oga 4 the enlightenment.

Pls i already have 2,500 blocks of 6" to fence a plot of land measured 120X60ft , i will like to know the number of cement require to set the blocks and the bricklayer workmanship.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:09pm On Aug 18, 2015
When you give a Quack your building Project to build

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 3:11pm On Aug 18, 2015
opalu:
This is extremely funny, just can't stop laughing.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
RMU:

Thanks Oga 4 the enlightenment.

Pls i already have 2,500 blocks of 6" to fence a plot of land measured 120X60ft , i will like to know the number of cement require to set the blocks and the bricklayer workmanship.
About 50bags of cement.
Workmanship/ labour depends on the location, since it's 6'' block, it should be around 40/50 naira per block or 3k per day for 80blocks, depending on your negotiating power. Labour should be around 1500 or 2000 naira per day. Like I said, depending on the location...
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
opalu:

Or what you are using temporarily until the spiral staircase is ready or can be afforded.

This person has completed what many on here haven't been able to, his own roof over his head.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 6:19pm On Aug 18, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Or what you are using temporarily until the spiral staircase is ready or can be afforded.
This person has completed what many on here haven't been able to, his own roof over his head.

That is not the issue. What is wrong is wrong even if the ultimate aim is an achievement. So if he falls from the ladder one morning when he wants to rush to work, will having a house save his neck?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Nobody: 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2015
opalu:

That is not the issue. What is wrong is wrong even if the ultimate aim is an achievement. So if he falls from the ladder one morning when he wants to rush to work, will having a house save his neck?

It's not wrong if the end user is not complaining. You don't have to go on his ladder.

Making fun of someones situation shows lack of empathy and shouldn't be fodder for online guffaws.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 7:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
EgunMogaji:

It's not wrong if the end user is not complaining. You don't have to go on his ladder.

Making fun of someones situation shows lack of empathy and shouldn't be fodder for online guffaws.
My brother what are u saying? Safety first! Isn't it better to erect a bungalow if one can't afford a staircase? It's very wrong looking at it from all perspective, it has nothing to do with lack of empathy or scoffing....

3 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 18, 2015
snakebeat:

My brother what are u saying? Safety first! Isn't it better to erect a bungalow if one can't afford a staircase? It's very wrong looking at it from all perspective, it has nothing to do with lack of empathy or scoffing....

The owner erected what he wanted and what works for him. You don't have to go on his ladder.

There is no need to start using his sweat and labor as fodder for jokes.

It's just hilarious reading all of this from you guys in the property section.

We are fronted daily by pictures of artisans on 2, 3 and 4 stories structures with zero safety equipments. Roofers with no arresting cables, painters on 40 foo traders with no support but this innocent guy with a ladder is the butt of your jokes.

You know exactly what I'm saying and you get it, if you want to pretend or do otherwise then that is your own thing.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 8:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
EgunMogaji:

The owner erected what he wanted and what works for him. You don't have to go on his ladder.
There is no need to start using his sweat and labor as fodder for jokes.
It's just hilarious reading all of this from you guys in the property section.
We are fronted daily by pictures of artisans on 2, 3 and 4 stories structures with zero safety equipments. Roofers with no arresting cables, painters on 40 foo traders with no support but this innocent guy with a ladder is the butt of your jokes.
You know exactly what I'm saying and you get it, if you want to pretend or do otherwise then that is your own thing.

Call it joke but I have sworn to expose whatever is wrong as far as construction is concerned. If you have pictures of all these anomalies you highlighted, then expose such highly risky behaviours of artisans so that others can learn. Let us not sound as if bitter about something else.
Using a ladder to go up and down the house is condemnable in all ramifications. If I know this guy or this location, I will send one of my carpenters to do a very solid wooden staircase like "mallam step" for him free of charge since I have woods. So him and his wife or babe could go up and down.
But my man, don't defend the indefensible

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply)

OUR Cctv Installation With Pictures.. / Contact Us For Your Electrical/mechanical(Plumbing) Design And Installation / Latest Promo Price For Stone Coated Roof Sheets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.