Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 (9103 Views)

Ten Most Common Laptop Problems And Their Solutions / Us Used Hp, Acer And Ibm For Sale / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by gbengaijot(m): 12:47am On Oct 20, 2005
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by Hunter(m): 11:46am On Oct 20, 2005
for the compaq it should be a simple solution, look on the keyboard for what they call a function key, check that it is not pressed in, this is usually what causes your num pad to become active on a laptop.

On the other laptop check to see if the actual physical connection between the machine and LCD is severed in anyway, also if possible plug it in to a regular machine via it's back output so you can detirmine if it is an issue with the graphics card or drivers...

Post back here with the results and i'll try and help you the most I can...
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by layi(m): 12:23pm On Oct 20, 2005
I use a Toshibe Portege with same specs like your IBM laptop. I experience such only when the battery power is really low and i know its a power saving mechanism. Though when i restart the LCD screen shows up.
Maybe u can tell us the error that was displayed (if u remember).

I suspect the keyboard for the compaq to be faulty. It doesnt look like a numlock prob. It could be a function key problem. Check the Fn key or Take it back to d seller if u just bought it.
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by gbengaijot(m): 8:51pm On Oct 20, 2005
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by jogego(m): 9:58pm On Oct 20, 2005
ALll you need to do to test the IBM is to connect it to any external monitor and power it up.If it works, then there is a problem with the LCD screen. In my opinion, if thats the case, might be better off selling it off and buying another one.

The best way to know what kind of RAM your laptop uses is to go to www.crucial.com. It will tell you what the maximum RAM for ur laptop is and give you the specs of what you need so you can be sure you dont make a mistake. Am sure u know that computer's system boards have a maximum RAM they can take.
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by Hunter(m): 8:55am On Oct 23, 2005
your looking for so-dimm memory btwcheesy
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by digitaal: 10:02am On Dec 15, 2005
I also recently bought a Compaq Presario 1200 on E-bay and have the following prob:

the screen does not start up...
the seller, who lives 100 km from my place, states that it did work at his place; so he thinks the malfunction is due to the transport...
indeed it was packed rather poorly!
anyway, he suggests to fix the processor, or to switch on the laptop without a HDD connected... but still nothing happens!
I hear the fan turning, the HDD rattles a bit, and the current-LED's are glowing...
when I connect a VGA-screen, nothing happens!
when I connect another HDD, or another memory-module, idem ditto!
the seller does not want to refund, ... impostor!!
what am I to to?
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by jogego(m): 9:18pm On Dec 15, 2005
E bay has a way of resolving issues. If the laptop does not work and was represented to you as being in working condition, then contact the seller and threathen to leave a negative feedback for him.

If this does not work, then report to Ebay and paypal and you can get your money refunded if u paid thru pay pal.

If you completed the transaction outside ebay then of course u are on ur own.

Did you check his feedback b4 trading with him? On ebay, its better and safe to do your homework b4 u buy. I have bought more than 4 laptops on ebay and never had any problem whatsoever.
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by hummerv(m): 12:45pm On Jan 02, 2006
@gbenga....
I beg to differ. the major problem with ur notebooks is that it is 2nd hand. my advice, save some money and but a state_of_the_art brand new notebook. u know what i mean. check out sony vaio fj series. quite affordable and breath taking specs. go to www.savastore.co.uk where u cld get the cheapest deal.
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by Chxta(m): 1:56pm On Jan 02, 2006
WTF are u talking about Hummer? I can't remember a time when a product being 2nd hand made it bad. My first ever computer (Siemens 486, 16 MB, 801 MB) was second hand and it lasted me just over a year. My current Linux laptop (Dell Latitude 400MHz, 128 Mb, 6 GB) was 2nd hand, and I have had it for 3 years now no issues. Last year I bought an Acer Travelmate (1.8 GHz, 256 MHz, 30 GB) brand new, and it didn't last me 3 months. NEPA fried it. Funny thing is that the Dell was also connected tp power during the same surge that fried the Acer!

My point is that it is all aout maintenance, not about how new it is.
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by hummerv(m): 11:24am On Jan 03, 2006
@chxta
do u ever wonder y things r 2nd handed? 1; when it develops a fault 2; when its been overused 3; when it gets out of fashion like all ur computers.

how could u go for an acer? its the worst known pc manufacturer coupled with the fact that 9ja is known 4 her epileptic power supply.

considering these facts, its best to save some money and go for the best. now i'm very serious. wink
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by layi(m): 3:06pm On Jan 03, 2006
Seem u dont make ur research well hummer. chxta is right.
Firstly , people sell of thier items because they need money. A car beign second hand dont being its faulty or out of fashion.
In fact i prefer second hand stuffs cos they've weathered the storm and pass the test of time.
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by Seun(m): 1:43pm On May 28, 2006
The LAN adaptor of my one and only second-hand laptop was bad, so I had to buy a new one. The monitor screen had problems, and a few weeks after purchase the hard disk died. So I don'd share your enthusiasm abt second-hand laptops without some warranty. Unfortunately, new laptops are just too expensive!
Re: Laptop Problems: Compaq Presario 1200 and IBM T21 by joespasm: 9:57pm On Jul 06, 2008
Laptops for sale at Affordable Prices, Laptops ranging from 20gb-120gb, Both new and used laptops straight from the US.Products of DELL,HP,IBM,TOSHIBA, If you are interested you can contact me on this number 08036415991 or 08029333959,

(1) (Reply)

How To Watch All Dstv Channels For Free In Hd (09/11/2013)..no Monthly Payments. / How Can I Stop My Pc From Draggin When Playing Pro Evolution On It?????? / Send Your Giftcard And Funds ,I Am A Chinese Buyer, Give You Amazing Price, And

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.