Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal (46207 Views)

Kenya Election 2017: Supreme Court Annuls Kenyatta Re-election / County Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing Gay Marriage Licenses (Photo) / US Gay Marriage: Robert Mugabe Asks Obama's Hand In Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Minet16(m): 9:13pm On Jun 26, 2015
My heart aches because such news is coming from the strongest empire and the most influencial nation on earth. This however is going to force some other nations who cannot but just have to survive by reason of maybe trading or one relationship or the other, where they make money from to maintain a stable econmy. I also pity those nations looking up to them, because whatever is legalised in the USA is automatically legalised in those nations.

I can't understand why people can't diffrenciate between madness and infatuation, this is absolute madness. Ah Ah Obama including you? you joined this mad trend? I used to see you as a mentor but no way.

How can i carry my FELLOW male to my parents saying "DADDY, MUMMY, i have found the love of my life"

No matter how possesed i am, i can't be mad to that extent.

pls Nigeria, lets rise, stand and shout with one voice, as we say no to

#SAMESEXMARRIAGE

#@MINET16

25 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Ambi25: 9:13pm On Jun 26, 2015
hmmmm! This one na strong thing oh!

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by RichDad1(m): 9:13pm On Jun 26, 2015
Yaay!!! Adam and Steve
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 26, 2015
I was watching CNN, I couldn't believe my eyes

This will Actually open gate for more Transgenders. lipsrsealed
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 26, 2015
Cheers.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by oismail(m): 9:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
Gay only?
What of lesbian?
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Delafruita(m): 9:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
this is a victory for humanity and it finally shows that humans can do the right thing.this isn't just a victory for the LGBT,its a victory of man over his own inhumanity.

16 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by lateezy(f): 9:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
Lord, thy kingdom com

4 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by viczing(m): 9:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
kle4d:
END TIME THINGS.

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by willi926(m): 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2015
these are d people who are supposed 2 b called lower animals. not some baboon in d zoo

6 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by cdaboss: 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2015
crap be making FP these days undecided
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Psylas(m): 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2015
Agimor:
The bible does not approve of gayism neither does the koran,nor amadioha even sango disagree.it will even lead to extinction of human existence and now some mofos are calling it a victory for all.judgement will definitely start from the Us.
they don't care whether bible, qur'an or Amadioha agree or not, that's why they have full freedom

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2015
Well wateva d world likes it can do... All I know is dat I m on d Lord Jesus side... One day.. just obe day!

3 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Boxer007(m): 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2015
gateleo:
The US Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legal throughout the nation Friday in a much-awaited landmark decision that triggered wild jubilation and tears of joy.
In a 5-4 ruling, the highest court in the United States said the Constitution requires all 50 states to carry out and recognize marriage between people of the same sex.

President Barack Obama, in heartfelt remarks, praised the ruling as “a victory for America.” The court decision marked a fresh coup for the White House, coming a day after the Supreme Court upheld an important and disputed section of the president’s signature health care reform.

“Today we can say in no uncertain terms that we’ve made our union a little more perfect,” Obama said at the White House, which changed its Twitter avatar to the rainbow colors of the growing gay rights movement.

“This decision affirms what millions of Americans already believe in their hearts — when all Americans are treated as equal, we are all more free.”
It also made the United States the 21st country or territory in the world that recognizes same-sex marriage as legal.

He took a brief phone call from Obama, who told him: “Not only have you been a great example for people but you’re also going to bring about a lasting change in this country.

“And it’s pretty rare where that happens so I couldn’t be prouder of you and your husband. God bless you.”

Obergefell, who was live on television at the time, replied humbly: “Thank you, sir. That means an incredible amount to me.”
Also in the vast crowd outside court as the life-changing news filtered through were Robert Westover, 51, and Tom Fulton, 57, who hugged and kissed.

“It feels like my birthday, the prom, our wedding day. It’s hard to express the intensity of this moment, that our love now is equal,” Westover told AFP.
The case was brought by 14 same-sex couples, and the widowers of two gay couples, including Obergefell, who had challenged de facto bans on same-sex marriage in Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee.

All four states had insisted in their respective constitutions that marriage could only be a union between a man and a woman.
“The Fourteenth Amendment (providing equal protection under the law) requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State,” the court ruling said.

Marriage has been a core institution in society since ancient times, “but it has not stood in isolation from developments in law and society,” reasoned Justice Anthony Kennedy, who delivered the ruling.
To exclude them from marriage, Kennedy said, would deny same-sex couples “the constellation of benefits that the states have linked to marriage.”

Voicing dissent was Chief Justice John Roberts, who expressed concern that the court was making a decision better left to elected state legislatures.

“If you are among the many Americans — of whatever sexual orientation — who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today’s decision,” he said.

“Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits.

“But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it.”
The decision came two years to the day after the Supreme Court, in another major ruling, struck down a controversial federal law that denied US government benefits to wedded gays and lesbians.

“This transformative triumph is a momentous victory for freedom, equality, inclusion, and above all, love,” said Freedom to Marry, one of several groups battling for LGBT marriage rights.

“We’ll remember this day for the rest of our lives,” added the It Gets Better Project, another gay rights organization, in a mass email to supporters.

But the conservative Family Research Council expressed outrage, saying “no court can overturn natural law.”

“Nature and nature’s God, hailed by the signers of our Declaration of Independence as the very source of law, cannot be usurped by the edict of a court, even the United States Supreme Court,” it said.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, whose state has also prohibited same-sex marriage, said the fight going forward was now one of “religious liberty.”

“No court, no law, no rule, and no words will change the simple truth that marriage is the union of one man and one woman,” he said in a statement.

“Nothing will change the importance of a mother and a father to the raising of a child — and nothing will change our collective resolve that all Americans should be able to exercise their faith in their daily lives without infringement and harassment.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/supreme-court-makes-gay-marriage-legal/

YAY YAY YAY HIP HIP HIP HURRRRRRAAAAYYYY AND HOPEFULLY NIGERIA WILL FOLLOW SUIT. AM SO HAPPY

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by johnkay1(m): 9:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
Wonder shall never end....hmmm end tinz
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by MrPresident1: 9:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
Wonderful cheesy

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Psylas(m): 9:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
good for them,
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
Their cup of tea, we are unperturbed, those interested in living that kind of sodomic life can relocate.

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by writetopoker: 9:19pm On Jun 26, 2015
QUOTE ME ANYWHERE, THIS WORLD WOUNT EXCEED 2035

6 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Whobedatte(m): 9:19pm On Jun 26, 2015
Absurdity angry
Now our clergies can intensify more effort in exporting religion d more to the states

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by virus04(m): 9:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
make President Buhari no go join dem

2 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by dyabman(m): 9:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
At last .. The world is definitely coming to an end soon.

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by NervousErection(m): 9:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
Hopefully Nigeria will soon get sense and follow that path too. Tired of all these religious a.ss.holes

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
I always knew it would be difficult for the Supreme Court to justify the ban on same-sex marriage in some of the states. The 14th amendment, section 1 states that "...No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States".
The 5-4 ruling means that state courts shouldn't bar 2 people of the same sex from getting married; but churches and mosques still have the right to not conduct gay weddings.

The couple in the pic have been together for 55 years, and are set to get a marriage license in Texas

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by shammah1(m): 9:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
No be newtin new. Buhari's government is next
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Psylas(m): 9:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
peeparty:

abi mk dem legalize weed too. this oyinbo sef
they have done that since
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by urshawmoore(m): 9:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
Very disgusting P.

Well, its good for some 9ja brothers and sisters trying to get their "IWE" (papers) done. They can easily get married to their padis who is a US citizen without having to pay the opposite sex for a marriage contract and of course, without intimacy.

I won't be surprised if some gay people in the gay community in 9ja travel all the way to the USA to legally tie the knot...

This is definately a 4th of July present for the Gay community in the US.

2 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Annstar(f): 9:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
Otondos
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by philusaau(f): 9:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
FACT

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by RobinHez(m): 9:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
Sodom and Gomorrah !

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Sam Wang Eats Live Bug To Fulfill Promise If Trump Wins (Video) / China Stages Massive ‘taiwan Invasion’ Drills(Pix, Video) / Donald Trump Signs On A Woman's Chest During Campaign Visit In Iowa (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.