Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? (5781 Views)

Nigerian Man Cooks Coconut Rice For His Family So His Wife Can Rest / Ejechi Paul Died In His Room Yesterday Please Help Locate His Family / Guy Brought His Oyinbo Wife Back Home & His Family Members Were Astonished -pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 27, 2015
Meeting his family is a compass for direction?

I laff,you never jam Dapo,my friend. He is married,but flirts a lot,yet he takes the girl to his circle of friends,and pretends he's single.

Funniest thing,he goes to the lady's home too,and most often,he's always liked.

After achieving his aim,he vanishes as he came.

Let God's will be done.
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by PenAndPaper: 9:14am On Jun 27, 2015
coogaluta:
Depressed and can't sleep at night? Dem never born the man angry grin

Talk to your guy, but most importantly-follow your instinct!
Meeting family these days is not a criteria lipsrsealed
Man wey go misbehave go still misbehave undecided
I release the man that has all your buttons in his palms IJN.. You will confess after a few months.. Lol

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by PenAndPaper: 9:14am On Jun 27, 2015
coogaluta:
Depressed and can't sleep at night? Dem never born the man angry grin

Talk to your guy, but most importantly-follow your instinct!
Meeting family these days is not a criteria lipsrsealed
Man wey go misbehave go still misbehave undecided
I release the man that has all your buttons in his palms INN.. You will confess after a few months.. Lol

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by freecocoa(f): 9:33am On Jun 27, 2015
Slickest:

Dats cold!!
Den wots d essence of a relationship?
Sex?
Money?
Actually it's not, that's a very valid question.

And yea, not all relationships end or should even end in marriage, that's why people ask each other what their intentions are.

I suggest the OP should ask her man what his plans are.
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by edwife(f): 9:48am On Jun 27, 2015
dinachi:
Getting married is not necessarily a sign of love! Let me repeat for emphasis, marriage as it is today does not necessarily mean that the man loves you. Again, do not ask him about his marital plans for you. Most men will bolt after that. We like always to take the lead but then women are smart too. I have a couple of moves I believe if you make you might be able to ascertain his mind towards marriage.
Introduce him to your family instead! But not as your fiancé, rather as the only man in your life. Your family might seek clarification just keep silent and watch him answer them.
His answers will give you a clue.
Secondly, as often as is possible attend all the wedding events you have with him BUT never directly ask him his plans.
Give it a little time and your guy will open up. Good luck!

This is a great idea but problem is what if he is the type that won't go to family gatherings with you.
Yea men like taking the lead but don't you think if you are in a relationship with a mature lady and after dating for 3 years,you never discuss any future plan with her,it's kinda gross?

Don't get me wrong here,but we live in a society whereby a "25" years old woman should be able to at least be in a promising relationship that might lead soon or later to marriage.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by edwife(f): 9:52am On Jun 27, 2015
freecocoa:

And yea, not all relationships end or should even end in marriage, that's why people ask each other what their intentions are.

That's what i think too,she is not a baby and her desire is to start a family-i don't see her as desperate but that is her wish.She should sit him down and ask him where does he see them going from here?There are question you ask indirectly.

4 Likes

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by freecocoa(f): 11:02am On Jun 27, 2015
edwife:

That's what i think too,she is not a baby and her desire is to start a family-i don't see her as desperate but that is her wish.She should sit him down and ask him where does he see them going from here?There are question you ask indirectly.
Anyone that thinks her desperate has to be a joker.

People are allowed to have wishes and at 30, dating a man for 3 years, I think she's since earned the right to ask such questions.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by edwife(f): 11:41am On Jun 27, 2015
freecocoa:

People are allowed to have wishes and at 30, dating a man for 3 years, I think she's since earned the right to ask such questions.

Correct!

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by mutter(f): 12:09pm On Jun 27, 2015
After a certain age a woman should be very clear about what she wants in a relationship.
I think it is time i settle down is a clear indication. The man can take it or leave it.
I think it is wicked for a man to date a woman at the age for so long without marrying her.

Lady before the marriage is the time to say what you want and lay the cards on the table.
Tell the man to introduce you to his family or to get the hell out of your life.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by dinachi(m): 4:21pm On Jun 27, 2015
edwife:

This is a great idea but problem is what if he is the type that won't go to family gatherings with you.
Yea men like taking the lead but don't you think if you are in a relationship with a mature lady and after dating for 3 years,you never discuss any future plan with her,it's kinda gross?

Don't get me wrong here,but we live in a society whereby a "25" years old woman should be able to at least be in a promising relationship that might lead soon or later to marriage.
To most men, hearing your lady talk about marriage plans sets off an alarm! Like this girl is desperate. I tell you it is not sexy at all. It cheapens the girl.
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by flyca: 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2015
angieberry:
I can see that desperation has set in. Men do not liked to be rushed into marriage. If you're in such a hurry, why don't you give him "the talk", ask him about his future plans concerning you and if marriage is not there, move on to other men that May be ready to marry you.

You are welcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by flyca: 4:29pm On Jun 27, 2015
OP, you could watch out for hos lovey-dovey mood and ask him: "Bae, what will your family think if they know we are in a relationship?"

#just a suggestion shaa.

By the way: I guess he has tapped cheerfully and freely into your honey-pot these years. The reason you feel insure about him wanting a younger lady eventually?
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by edwife(f): 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2015
dinachi:

To most men, hearing your lady talk about marriage plans sets off an alarm! Like this girl is desperate. I tell you it is not sexy at all. It cheapens the girl.

I know that dinachi trust me,but not in a situation whereby you are dating a 30 years old lady and this is not a 6 months relationship but a 3 years one.There is no shame here,if by 3 years you have known me not being desperate,so why now?

I always tell my little ones once you are 25 years,never be in a relationship for more than 3 years with a man unless he has solid plan for you.
There are too many time wasters out there.

Because it is her desire to get married,at 30 a woman should know that biologically she might have difficulties to conceive after 35 years old.Some women experience the menopause in their 30s or 40s,it is called pre-mature menopause.The same guy will make her life miserable if she does not bear any child.

I have heard many stories and witness some,where a man abandon his girlfriend of over 30 to settle with a younger one.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by Tobiustobius: 10:52pm On Jun 27, 2015
angieberry:
I can see that desperation has set in. Men do not liked to be rushed into marriage. If you're in such a hurry, why don't you give him "the talk", ask him about his future plans concerning you and if marriage is not there, move on to other men that May be ready to marry you.

I was going to answer, but this says it quite well:
freecocoa:

3 years and someone is talking about "rushing" and desperation? Na wa. If the relationship breaks up after 7 or 8 years, people will still come and insult the OP, calling her "lord of the rings".

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by ireneidiva(f): 7:11am On Jun 28, 2015
dinachi:
Getting married is not necessarily a sign of love! Let me repeat for emphasis, marriage as it is today does not necessarily mean that the man loves you. Again, do not ask him about his marital plans for you. Most men will bolt after that. We like always to take the lead but then women are smart too. I have a couple of moves I believe if you make you might be able to ascertain his mind towards marriage.
Introduce him to your family instead! But not as your fiancé, rather as the only man in your life. Your family might seek clarification just keep silent and watch him answer them.
His answers will give you a clue.
Secondly, as often as is possible attend all the wedding events you have with him BUT never directly ask him his plans.
Give it a little time and your guy will open up. Good luck!
Wow. Your most reasonable comment on nairaland!

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by ireneidiva(f): 7:11am On Jun 28, 2015
ireneidiva:
Wow. Your only reasonable comment on nairaland!
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 28, 2015
Upnepaa:
This a very poor attempt from a female,please what is the essence of entering a relationship without planning to wed i mean it is like going to school with the intention that you don't want to get a certificate,everything we does in life should be utilised to its maximum advantage,entering a rlship without the intention of marriage brings about the theory of use and dump just sex,sex and nothing and at the later end the feminine gender is the loser simply because she had turn herself to a sex machine to guy,in essence every relationship should lead to marriage,or what is the essence of entering the r/ship in the first place

Thank you... 1 million likes!

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by Nobody: 8:38am On Jun 28, 2015
ZebaReba:
I'm depressed and can't sleep all thru the night. Ive been thinking of what to do with my life. After dating for 3 years, I am yet to be introduced to his family. My bf and his bro are the only ones here and the rest of his family lives back home in nigeria. His bro lives in another city so we've never met and they're not close so im not bothered about that. even when his family comes, still nothing. he cant even pick calls in their presence. no mention of anything private at all as if there's a problem somewhere.

Should I move on or am i supposed to bring it up to him? i haven't told my family about him too because i dont know what he's up to after all these years. I've been fine with it until i read that toke makinwa's situation and i dont want to end up like that. Other men have been asking me out and i keep turning them down. pls advise me like your sister.

im 30 and he's 31.

Here as in where? If you are in a small country like the UK then after 3yrs you should've at least met his brother. What of speaking to his parents on the phone? 3yrs is more than enough time .. especially for a lady in her 30s.. there are a lot of things you can do to see his intentions towards you.. Years ago, an aunty of mine in a similar situation made plans to relocate to another country to start afresh coz she felt like her dude had no good intentions towards her.. when he saw how serious she was about moving he quickly proposed.. they are married now with 3 boys.

I'm not saying you should do exactly that o .. what works for A might not work for B. However, I am saying.. think of a strategic way of seeing his intentions towards you without coming off desperate. All the best. smiley

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by dinachi(m): 9:37am On Jun 28, 2015
He is not bound by any law to discuss marriage. He has not even engaged her and that is a kind of pointer that he doesn't want to be rushed. I respect such men not all these men that will start talking marriage the moment they see you all in a bid to get into your pants. The moment that happens, they bolt! So be careful before you chase this guy out of your life by impatience!
I reapeat tactfully maneuver him and introduce him to your family members as your guy. Keep quiet and watch his reactions. Then go along with him to all your wedding events. The idea is to pass the message without talking. Manipulation is far much better when it is not obvious. If she ask him directly, she risks losing a good relationship. I am a man and I understand these things.
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by dre11(m): 8:10pm On Jun 28, 2015
freecocoa:

Happy birthday to you
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by freecocoa(f): 11:06pm On Jun 28, 2015
dre11:

Happy birthday to you
Thanks.
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by 400billionman: 2:02pm On Jul 04, 2015
ZebaReba:
I'm depressed and can't sleep all thru the night. Ive been thinking of what to do with my life. After dating for 3 years, I am yet to be introduced to his family. My bf and his bro are the only ones here and the rest of his family lives back home in nigeria. His bro lives in another city so we've never met and they're not close so im not bothered about that. even when his family comes, still nothing. he cant even pick calls in their presence. no mention of anything private at all as if there's a problem somewhere.

Should I move on or am i supposed to bring it up to him? i haven't told my family about him too because i dont know what he's up to after all these years. I've been fine with it until i read that toke makinwa's situation and i dont want to end up like that. Other men have been asking me out and i keep turning them down. pls advise me like your sister.

im 30 and he's 31.

My dear, move on o.

You don't have to beg a man to introduce you to his family. In my case in less than 3 months of meeting a lady, she pressurized me to meet her people, I did. The following week she is pressuring me to meet my own people. I just cut it off.

For you to have spent 3 good years with him, he is not yet ready to marry. At your age, you should be sitting in a man's house answering madam.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by baby124: 2:19pm On Jul 04, 2015
Am happy you moved on. It is obvious he has someone else who his family knows and he is using you to hold body. She probably lives in Nigeria with them. No matter how much a guy worships his parents, it is even reason why he will be pushed to come forward with a serious girlfriend to introduce to his mother. Which I think she is already known by the family. My dear if after 3-6months a guy is keeping you secret, start looking for a new boo. No man keeps something he loves away from the people he loves. In fact he will force you to get Along with them. Heavy force o

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by pickabeau1: 3:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
Lol

No marriage is overrated comments? grin

So our ladies like marriage like this?

Haha haha

ZebaReba
From your comments..he is a traditional man

Search yourself first
Are u really a wife material or have imbued the western feminist dogma so he wonders if it is worth marrying you

Can you cook or u r d takeout wife who will burn his income with eating out all d time?

Have you guys discussed how life will be with kids in the pic..childcare in the west is not beans...are u ready to take time off work to nurture your kids?

In that case if you are
1. Approach him and ask him lovingly where he sees your relationship going
That You guys have been together for three y and you need to know.

2.ask him why he has not introduced you to his family

3. If it's financial (wedding) do you mind a simple court thing and just trad in naija so as to minimize travel costs

4. If it's not and still he does not give a tangible reason...then you know what to do...move on

No one should make you feel bad for wanting to marry

You can do this in less than six months as in becoming married after all you have been courting for 3

Good luck

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by PreciousBro: 11:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
This is why a woman should accept a man for the right reason, if by 30yrs as you claim you are and have dated for 3yrs, you still don't know where you stand in and are headed to with your supposed spouse ,then you have failed as a woman, check your self well, you probably aren't marriage material,(that may be a cold sad truth,not my fault and not my business) and all of a sudden you realise your biological clock isn't wait-friendly. You now want a serious fantasised relationship with this said guy just because you want the big ol marriage"(something y'all pretend isn't necessary) regardless of whether you love him or not...

Ask your self, think, recollect how you both met, where you serious from the onset ? Was it something that you remotely thought could ignite the "tie the knot" gesture in the future ? All these are questions you need to ask your self and not deceive your self ,then you'll get your genuine answer,otherwise any move you make now only portrays your desperate self in magnified spectrum...

I know for a fact that no sane man would like to waste his precious time as well as a good girl's being in a relationship that would yield futility at the end,so except you wanna be a man,buy a ring and take to the next guy and do the big ol proposal yourself I suggest you shut it, put your self together, be a good girl and earn the "will you mary me" right from the man otherwise you become a yoruba girl because O.Y.O will be your state...

Thank You!

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by coogaluta(f): 11:30pm On Jul 04, 2015
PreciousBro:
This is why a woman should accept a man for the right reason, if by 30yrs as you claim you are and have dated for 3yrs, you still don't know where you stand in and are headed to with your supposed spouse ,then you have failed as a woman, check your self well, you probably aren't marriage material,(that may be a cold sad truth,not my fault and not my business) and all of a sudden you realise your biological clock isn't wait-friendly. You now want a serious fantasised relationship with this said guy just because you want the big ol marriage"(something y'all pretend isn't necessary) regardless of whether you love him or not...

Ask your self, think, recollect how you both met, where you serious from the onset ? Was it something that you remotely thought could ignite the "tie the knot" gesture in the future ? All these are questions you need to ask your self and not deceive your self ,then you'll get your genuine answer,otherwise any move you make now only portrays your desperate self in magnified spectrum...

I know for a fact that no sane man would like to waste his precious time as well as a good girl's being in a relationship that would yield futility at the end,so except you wanna be a man,buy a ring and take to the next guy and do the big ol proposal yourself I suggest you shut it, put your self together, be a good girl and earn the "will you mary me" right from the man otherwise you become a yoruba girl because O.Y.O will be your state...

Thank You!

why keep a lady for 3 years if she's not 'marriage material'?
Isn't that callous? undecided

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by PreciousBro: 11:34pm On Jul 04, 2015
coogaluta:

why keep a lady for 3 years if she's not 'marriage material'?
Isn't that callous? undecided

If you read my post very well you'd know I gave credence on "Good guys" not wanting to waste their time on foolish girls ,so if that was a question, I suggest you direct it to the right person not me,I am not the one in a futile relationship with her.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by coogaluta(f): 11:37pm On Jul 04, 2015
PreciousBro:

If you read my post very well you'd know I gave credence on "Good guys" not wanting to waste their time on foolish girls ,so if that was a question, I suggest you direct it to the right person not me,I am not the one in a futile relationship with her.

so, it's safe to assume that it's bad guys that waste time on girls, right?
If good guys don't waste time on foolish girls, I suppose they don't on wise girls either, it must be that the guys who waste time are bad guys?

Just tryna get your stand point straight here, no need to get all defensive, ok?

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by PreciousBro: 11:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
coogaluta:

so, it's safe to assume that it's bad guys that waste time on girls, right?
If good guys don't waste time on foolish girls, I suppose they don't on wise girls either, it must be that the guys who waste time are bad guys?

Just tryna get your stand point straight here, no need to get all defensive, ok?

Madam, all this good guy good girl talk has nothing to do with this thread. All that is written here is desperation as far as I can discern.

3yrs is not the zenith of the numbers of years I have heard,and there is no one wasting anyone's time. If marriage is so important to the Op, I already suggested she proposes to the new guy she'd catch next or stay put ,be good and earn it from this one she has ,or should I have said she should kill her self ?

Its not only bad guys that can tell a desperate girl, good guys also have senses and they do what they feel works for them, what you should be asking the OP if you have her interest at heart is ,is she deserving of a proposal ? Or do you think anyone should just marry anyone regardless of love, moral background etc just because they shared time together ?

1 Like

Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by coogaluta(f): 12:01am On Jul 05, 2015
PreciousBro:

Madam, all this good guy good girl talk has nothing to do with this thread. All that is written here is desperation as far as I can discern.

3yrs is not the zenith of the numbers of years I have heard,and there is no one wasting anyone's time. If marriage is so important to the Op, I already suggested she proposes to the new guy she'd catch next or stay put ,be good and earn it from this one she has ,or should I have said she should kill her self ?

Its not only bad guys that can tell a desperate girl, good guys also have senses and they do what they feel works for them, what you should be asking the OP if you have her interest at heart is ,is she deserving of a proposal ? Or do you think anyone should just marry anyone regardless of love, moral background etc just because they shared time together ?

You keep parambulating........
If this lady does not deserve to be wifed as you have put it, why has he spent 3 years of his life with her? Why not leave her and go for a woman that deserves it? KAPUT? lipsrsealed
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by PreciousBro: 12:37am On Jul 05, 2015
coogaluta:

You keep parambulating........

Please caution your self ,I wouldn't sound like you now, it'd be messy for you and this thread.

coogaluta:

If this lady does not deserve to be wifed as you have put it,

Where did I put it that she doesn't deserve to be wifed ?

I stated she should ask her self if she's marriage material,please read again and this time with your reading glasses as well as someone to assist you in case,so you don't misquote me again.

coogaluta:
why has he spent 3 years of his life with her? Why not leave her and go for a woman that deserves it? KAPUT? lipsrsealed

This sounds like a question for her and the supposed boyfriend and definitely not me.
Re: How Long Should We Date/court Before He Introduces Me To His Family? by coogaluta(f): 3:39am On Jul 05, 2015
PreciousBro:

Please caution your self ,I wouldn't sound like you now, it'd be messy for you and this thread.

Lol....calm down!
why are you getting so salty so easily?
Am I supposed to be scared?

Where did I put it that she doesn't deserve to be wifed ?

Your post definitely summarizes in one point: she hasn't been wifed cos she's not worth it, she should try harder! Not one tiny bit of you thought just maybe the guy doesn't know what he wants and/or when he wants it.

I stated she should ask her self if she's marriage material,please read again and this time with your reading glasses as well as someone to assist you in case,so you don't misquote me again.

Read your last paragraph again and tell me you haven't concluded this poor lady is not 'marriage-worthy', hence her 3 year delay.
You're trying too hard to come across as blunt and scary but maybe if you do it in the right context, people will term it as 'constructive criticism'.

This sounds like a question for her and the supposed boyfriend and definitely not me.

You had me believe for a nanosecond that you're the 'supposed boyfriend'

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mothersbond Commends FG On Four Months Maternity Leave Policy / My Wife's Attitude. / Can You Look At These Images? How Do They Make You Feel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.