Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. (45893 Views)

National Assembly Moves To Invoke The Constitution Over Buhari's Health / What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform / What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by misturotex(m): 5:24pm On Jun 29, 2015
[quote author=aare07 post=35281057]Saraki is a guru when it comes to political calculus, while Tinubu is a guru when it comes arithmetic.
Therefore, 51 Tinubus( That is, APC senators) is equal to 1 Saraki( Senate President).

Abubakar Bukola Saraki, keep standing on the Political rock of gilbrater .

So u mean Saraki is a better politician than Tinubu?
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by quickly: 5:27pm On Jun 29, 2015
Even a Bacha Sef na niger republic
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by coputa(m): 5:28pm On Jun 29, 2015
huangcheng:
Please who has seen Buhari's certificate?
Its with the Nigerian army.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by coputa(m): 5:31pm On Jun 29, 2015
NovusHomo:

Not so fast sir. He is a citizen of Nigeria but he is not qualified to be a member of the National Assembly. See italics.
How,pls.Explain
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Rotimi47: 5:33pm On Jun 29, 2015
frisky2good:
Although I have not been able to confirm if the passport being circulated online by that website that is now practically synonymous with blackmail is genuine, I will base my argument on the assumption that "IF IT HAPPENS TO BE TRUE". My reason is simple: If it is found to be false, No case. It is only if the passport is confirmed to be genuine that we need to waste time deliberating on what the constitution says about the matter.

Now, what makes an individual a bonafide citizen of this country?
According to the constitution (section 25),

25. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-

(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

There are other criteria but let me stop here. Now, I do not know where Bukky was born but I know his parents were born here in Nigeria so he's a Nigerian ...........right?

Ok, let's continue.

What makes a man with a British passport become a Non-Nigerian? The constitution has the answer.

28. (1) Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person shall forfeit forthwith his Nigerian citizenship if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship or nationality of a country, other than Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.

Please read this sentence very well because in this case if Bukky was either born in Nigeria or Uk, this section does not nullify his Nigerian citizenship.

Having established that Mr. Saraki is a bonafide Nigerian citizen, let's go to chapter IV (NATIONAL ASSEMBLY)

Qualifications for Membership of National Assembly and Right of Attendance

(1) Subject to the provisions of section 66 of this Constitution, a person shall be qualified for election as a member of:

(a) the Senate, if he is a citizen of Nigeria and has attained the age of 35 years

And what (concerning citizenship) disqualifies an individual?

(1) No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if:

(a) subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country;

Since we have established that Saraki is a Nigerian citizen by virtue of his satisfying the provisions of section 28 of the constitution of the Federal republic of Nigeria, I conclude based on the facts available that Saraki is qualified for the position of Senate president.

You goofed on this one as people should understand that the person who posted the passport ain't saying he ain't a Nigerian but they are working to kill his presidential ambition; please, enlighten us on what the Constitution states about candidates running for President of Nigeria in regard of dual citizenship/place of birth.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by tswitch: 5:51pm On Jun 29, 2015
Icon4s:

Thank God u have finally read the write up.

Na wa ooo
Oyinbo le sha!
That you don't understand my first post on this thread is no one's fault but yours.
So stop trying to make a smart retort that is clearly above your prowess.
Next time copy and paste my post on the search engine English for Slow Learners you might get the drift ........or you might not,your problem.
Now get off my mentions you ain't any smarter than the other dunce.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by DANDONdGreat(m): 5:52pm On Jun 29, 2015
Pls my people pardon if I wronged you or may wrong u through my comment.

Let me first and foremost tell u that I'm not saraki supporter. In fact as matter of fact I never wished for hin to be a senate president going through his previous actions in different public offices that he has been. And his case with EFCC.

But I see all these argument as nonsense, unnecessary, waste of time, waste of energy, envy, jealousy, political bitterness, joblessness, stupidity in the highest order, distraction, etc.

For crying out loud. This is a man that was a governor in this country for eight good years (complete 2nd tenure). And a senator for almost 4 years. All in this same country and under the same constitution.

In all these different potistiions and public offices that he had atteded and still attends noone has found has in any way or form finds him not qualified to attend them as result of citizen disqualitication.

So why is it now that he became a senate president against the will/wish of the ruling party (his party) that all these nonsense are coming

For christ sake this is not the type of change that you promised us (Nigerians) during the election.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by hush15: 5:56pm On Jun 29, 2015
Ephemmm:

Even when it is glaring that the writer vindicates Saraki, Tinubu is still the one chasing you until you finally ended up in Otuoke! This is surprising....

See lazy brain inside the skull of lazy being tongue tongue tongue

Tiny by is a sick head who thinks since APC has won can covert Nigeria to his backyard.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by NovusHomo(m): 5:58pm On Jun 29, 2015
coputa:
How,pls.Explain

What is there to explain? I referred you to the relevant section of the Constitution as outlined by the Op.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by jomoh: 6:04pm On Jun 29, 2015
frisky2good:

(a) subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country; [/b]

Did u mistakenly or maliciously leave out this part. Or did you just assumed that Bukola is a british citizen by birth.

The fact is that the man holds dual citizenship which is against the provision you maliciously ignored up there.

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Ephemmm: 6:05pm On Jun 29, 2015
tswitch:

You are still making a dolt of yourself in your depressed state.
Next time get a simplified version of english for dummies so you better understand your superiors post.
Still waiting for a smart retort from you but it is obvious we wont see any......

I understand your problem and I really sympathize with you: when your sense of thinking is returned to normalcy, I could be contacted then.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by loomer: 6:08pm On Jun 29, 2015
Make una leave Sahara reporters, them no dey tire for trouble.

Even if this matter die now, dem go find another one.

All these things no dey trip nor move me, na how the country go take move forward I dey bother myself with
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Chigold101(m): 6:09pm On Jun 29, 2015
tinuolababy:
People should please leave Tinubu alone.
y should Tinubu be left alone?
His modus operandi is well known to all and sundry.
Whoever that falls off with the lion of babylon gets either blackmailed in the media or stampeeded by the media...

Tinubu should leave NASS alone.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by tswitch: 6:24pm On Jun 29, 2015
Ephemmm:

I understand your problem and I really sympathize with you: when your sense of thinking is returned to normalcy, I could be contacted then.

Aren't you the dunce that quoted me in the first instance.

So your morbid myopia is further riddled with selective amnesia.

Your case is most pathetic especially now you are trying to sound/come across as smart.

Retard!
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Ephemmm: 6:26pm On Jun 29, 2015
tswitch:

Aren't you the dunce that quoted me in the first instance.

So your morbid myopia is further riddled with selective amnesia.

Your case is most pathetic especially now you are trying to sound/come across as smart.

Retard!

Is nairaland your father's heritage? Your psychosomatic imbalances in your lineage is second to none, honestly tongue tongue tongue
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Bongiboy83: 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2015
I strongly believe your interpretation of the constitution is misguiding and erroneous. The spirit of the law can be seen to promote loyalty to the Nigerian state and Nationalism. Hence, any interpretation as pertaining to Citizenship must be interpreted in the same light without guile or mischief. To appreciate the legal loopholes and potholes in the instant case, it is most appropriate to review the situation in different scenarios. As it is there are still pieces of information unknown to most people. And one crucial piece of information is his place of birth.

Abubakar Bukola Saraki was born on 19 December 1962 to the family of Olusola Saraki, a one time Senate Leader (1979 – 1983) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a citizen of Nigeria by birth. Sec 28, says that a person who willingly takes up citizenship of another country other than his citizenship of birth losses his Nigerian citizenship. Hence, if you are British and you acquire a Nigerian citizenship, you can keep both, but the minute you take up an American citizenship, you loose your Nigerian citizenship. Nigerians by birth cannot loose their Citizenship except they denounce it. Our constitution recognizes dual Citizenships! Please note that Sec. 28 refers strictly only to Citizenship. It is important to note that the Constitution seeks to establish Nationalism and the Nigerian Identity, essentially, loyalty to the Federal Republic of Nigeria is paramount.

Now to the matter at hand, Sec. 66. (1) No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if:
(a) subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country;

It is important to note that this section deals with qualification to the Senate and not Citizenship. It states that its position on Citizenship are subject to the guideline in Sec 28 to create uniformity in the interpretation of the law. But nonetheless, where a Nigerian, by birth or naturalization WILLINGLY takes up Citizenship in another country, such person is NOT QUALIFIED to be elected into the Senate or House of Representative. Thus, Dr. Olubukola Saraki is not qualified to be in the Senate. It does not state that the person ceases to be a citizen, just clearly says you lack qualification. A simple remedy would be for Saraki to denouce his UK citizenship, but will he? He probably renewed that passport so the UK can be a safe haven if there is a witch-hunt. But I will leave that to the conspiracy theorists!!

Please note that if he was born in the UK, then he qualifies, because then, he can't be adjudged as taking up the nationality of another country willing.

Thank You!

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 29, 2015
We all would have been fully focused on the change agenda by now if not for the greedy acts of a select few. Saraki is a traitor, and like atiku, he will never be the president of FRN.

The saddest part is their ignorant children whose association by birth and surname with this individuals have automatically destroyed any chance they may have in the nigerian political sphere. I personally will never want to be involved in any dealing with a Saraki..

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by frisky2good(m): 6:47pm On Jun 29, 2015
If he's not a British citizen by birth then he will also have to be a naturalized Nigerian citizen to be disqualified. As long as he was born in either UK or Nigeria, he's qualified.

jomoh:

Did u mistakenly or maliciously leave out this part. Or did you just assumed that Bukola is a british citizen by birth.

The fact is that the man holds dual citizenship which is against the provision you maliciously ignored up there.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by frisky2good(m): 6:48pm On Jun 29, 2015
We are talking about Saraki as the senate president. If / when he decides to contest for the post of president, we can talk about his eligibility.

Rotimi47:
You goofed on this one as people should understand that the person who posted the passport ain't saying he ain't a Nigerian but they are working to kill his presidential ambition; please, enlighten us on what the Constitution states about candidates running for President of Nigeria in regard of dual citizenship/place of birth.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by cococandy(f): 6:51pm On Jun 29, 2015
The constitution also required the president to have a minimum of o'level education.
We know buhari didn't honor that constitution by showing his cert. so they better cut the crap.
Referring to constitution when it suits them.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by frisky2good(m): 6:55pm On Jun 29, 2015
28. (1) Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person shall forfeit forthwith his Nigerian citizenship if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship or nationality of a country, other than Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.

Section 28 is clear!!!!!! You only lose Nigerian citizenship when you take up anther country's citizenship IF you were not born in Nigeria. Read your own copy of the constitution and please stop quoting incomplete sentences.

Bongiboy83:
I strongly believe your interpretation of the constitution is misguiding and erroneous. The spirit of the law can be seen to promote loyalty to the Nigerian state and Nationalism. Hence, any interpretation as pertaining to Citizenship must be interpreted in the same light without guile or mischief. To appreciate the legal loopholes and potholes in the instant case, it is most appropriate to review the situation in different scenarios. As it is there are still pieces of information unknown to most people. And one crucial piece of information is his place of birth.

Abubakar Bukola Saraki was born on 19 December 1962 to the family of Olusola Saraki, a one time Senate Leader (1979 – 1983) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a citizen of Nigeria by birth. Sec 28, says that a person who willingly takes up citizenship of another country other than his citizenship of birth losses his Nigerian citizenship. Hence, if you are British and you acquire a Nigerian citizenship, you can keep both, but the minute you take up an American citizenship, you loose your Nigerian citizenship. Nigerians by birth cannot loose their Citizenship except they denounce it. Our constitution recognizes dual Citizenships! Please note that Sec. 28 refers strictly only to Citizenship. It is important to note that the Constitution seeks to establish Nationalism and the Nigerian Identity, essentially, loyalty to the Federal Republic of Nigeria is paramount.

Now to the matter at hand, Sec. 66. (1) No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if:

It is important to note that this section deals with qualification to the Senate and not Citizenship. It states that its position on Citizenship are subject to the guideline in Sec 28 to create uniformity in the interpretation of the law. But nonetheless, where a Nigerian, by birth or naturalization WILLINGLY takes up Citizenship in another country, such person is NOT QUALIFIED to be elected into the Senate or House of Representative. Thus, Dr. Olubukola Saraki is not qualified to be in the Senate. It does not state that the person ceases to be a citizen, just clearly says you lack qualification. A simple remedy would be for Saraki to denouce his UK citizenship, but will he? He probably renewed that passport so the UK can be a safe haven if there is a witch-hunt. But I will leave that to the conspiracy theorists!!

Please note that if he was born in the UK, then he qualifies, because then, he can't be adjudged as taking up the nationality of another country willing.

Thank You!
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by ollyruffy: 7:22pm On Jun 29, 2015
All these is to justify his dual passport.

No wonder they can afford d country to be in a mess. Afterall they have another country to run to.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by nunzk: 7:35pm On Jun 29, 2015
51T's=1S c equation o
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by jomoh: 7:45pm On Jun 29, 2015
frisky2good:
If he's not a British citizen by birth then he will also have to be a naturalized Nigerian citizen to be disqualified. As long as he was born in either UK or Nigeria, he's qualified.

I see you don't get it. I don't think you can hold any Nigerian public office with dual citizenship whether by birth or not. I think you have to have renounced the other before being elected. My view

This issue was raised against the governor of my state -Abiola Ajimobi- he had to deny it but because there was no evidence to back up the claim, the case couldn't fly.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by BermudaTriangle(m): 8:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
An idle hand is the devil's workshop which belongs to a busybody.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Isangad1(m): 8:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
Gbajabiamila also has a dual passport, he is not qualified to b d speaker. sahara reporter is quite about that.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by walozanga(m): 8:17pm On Jun 29, 2015
Ephemmm:

Even when it is glaring that the writer vindicates Saraki, Tinubu is still the one chasing you until you finally ended up in Otuoke! This is surprising....

OGA SHARP BRAIN, CLAP FOR URSELF. NA UR BRAIN THEY USE BUILD ONITSHA BRIDGE ABI
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by sunsewa: 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2015
frisky2good:
Although I have not been able to confirm if the passport being circulated online by that website that is now practically synonymous with blackmail is genuine, I will base my argument on the assumption that "IF IT HAPPENS TO BE TRUE". My reason is simple: If it is found to be false, No case. It is only if the passport is confirmed to be genuine that we need to waste time deliberating on what the constitution says about the matter.

Now, what makes an individual a bonafide citizen of this country?
According to the constitution (section 25),

25. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-

(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

There are other criteria but let me stop here. Now, I do not know where Bukky was born but I know his parents were born here in Nigeria so he's a Nigerian ...........right?

Ok, let's continue.

What makes a man with a British passport become a Non-Nigerian? The constitution has the answer.

Please read this sentence very well because in this case if Bukky was either born in Nigeria or Uk, this section does not nullify his Nigerian citizenship.

Having established that Mr. Saraki is a bonafide Nigerian citizen, let's go to chapter IV (NATIONAL ASSEMBLY)

Qualifications for Membership of National Assembly and Right of Attendance

(1) Subject to the provisions of section 66 of this Constitution, a person shall be qualified for election as a member of:

(a) the Senate, if he is a citizen of Nigeria and has attained the age of 35 years

And what (concerning citizenship) disqualifies an individual?

(1) No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if:

Since we have established that Saraki is a Nigerian citizen by virtue of his satisfying the provisions of section 28 of the constitution of the Federal republic of Nigeria, I conclude based on the facts available that Saraki is qualified for the position of Senate president.

Taiye Taiwo and Mikel Obi has French and British passport respectively, while Austin Okocha and Dan Amokachie has Turkish passports also, has it ever affected them not to represent Nigeria? NO,then saraki has no case.
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2015
Ephemmm:

You made me laugh like a ......... grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by mfm04622: 9:07pm On Jun 29, 2015
I think the OP has comprehension problem! The OP seem not to understand the passages he posted! Please go and re-read the passages again and check your conclusion again
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by opeoluwae: 9:33pm On Jun 29, 2015
GBAM! This is the best clarification in this thread. Let me see if I can break it down for the not-so-smart on here arguing blindly.

1. If you were born in Nigeria, aka a citizen by BIRTH, there's no way you need to forfeit your citizenship for any reason or be disqualified for any office, even if you became a citizen of another country. You are qualified to be in the Senate or House, no matter what other citizenship you got via NATURALIZATION (if you like have 10 citizenships, as long as the other countries don't mind).
2. If you were not born in Nigeria but your parents were, eg born in the UK and became a Nigerian citizen by NATURALIZATION, and then you try to become a citizen of another country, you will need to denounce your Nigerian citizenship because you didn't get it by birth. As long as you dont try to get another citizenship you are good and can be in the Senate or House.
3. You can be in the Senate or House as long as you are a NIGERIAN CITIZEN (by birth or not) and don't have to forfeit your citizenship for the reasons in #2 above aka you are not trying to become a citizen of a 3rd country when Nigeria is your second citizenship (not by birth).

If Bukola was born in Nigeria, he's fine and cant be disqualified no matter what. If he wasn't born in Nigeria, as long as his parents were born in Nigeria and he's not trying to become a citizen of another country (which will make him be required to denounce his Nigerian citizenship), he cant be disqualified.

frisky2good:

Section 28 is clear!!!!!! You only lose Nigerian citizenship when you take up anther country's citizenship IF you were not born in Nigeria. Read your own copy of the constitution and please stop quoting incomplete sentences.

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by islandmoon: 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2015
kindly leave our Tinubu Alone!! he's has not said a word about this matter, why shouting his name? we the yoruba value him and we are behind him!

DO NOT TOUCH OUR SOYINKA and OBASANJO!

leave our TINUBU Alone, you have already betrayed him, why not just let him be??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Umuahia Youth Movement Gives Ikpeazu 24Hours To Dethrone Nnamdi Kanu's Father / Why Underage Persons Were Registered In The North – INEC's Director, Osaze-Uzzi / Crowd Await Arrival Of Atiku/obi In Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.