Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? (17279 Views)

Teenager Gives Birth At Ilu Iboro Without Being Aware Of Pregnancy (photos) / Woman Stabs Teenager Over ‘husband-snatching’ Scandal In Ghana (photo) / Why Rebellious Kids Make More Money Later In Life - see reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by xynerise: 3:27pm On Jun 29, 2015
Going through the developmental stages in life, some teens tend to take a wrong detour in life. Many teens are becoming rebellious to their parents and causing disunity in the family. Setting their own rules in the house and disrespecting anybody who tries to stop them from doing what they wish to do.

"Spare the rod and spoil the child". Does this also applies to teenagers? I guess not. What other psychological ways can we correct this rebellion?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by donholy28(m): 3:33pm On Jun 29, 2015
Advice them..whatever bad action u take just seems to harden them

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Atk01(f): 3:38pm On Jun 29, 2015
Send such teen to a military academy.

29 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by xynerise: 3:44pm On Jun 29, 2015
Atk01:
Send such teen to a military academy.
Against his or her wish?

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by chybykee(m): 3:46pm On Jun 29, 2015
hhhmmmm Sit and Talk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Atk01(f): 3:55pm On Jun 29, 2015
xynerise:

Against his or her wish?
Well, much as I'm all for respecting people's wishes, sometimes you don't have a choice. It's better to go against their wish before they finally go out of control.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by RoyalRoy(m): 3:57pm On Jun 29, 2015
xynerise:
Going through the developmental stages in life, some teens tend to take a wrong detour in life. Many teens are becoming rebellious to their parents and causing disunity in the family. Setting their own rules in the house and disrespecting anybody who tries to stop them from doing what they wish to do.

"Spare the rod and spoil the child". Does this also applies to teenagers? I guess not. What other psychological ways can we correct this rebellion?

Waiting to see how APC deals with Bukola Saraki..... Then I will have a perfect answer to your question.

Lol

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by calculator123(m): 4:03pm On Jun 29, 2015
prayer is key it might b a demon leading d teen in doing such

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by xynerise: 4:07pm On Jun 29, 2015
RoyalRoy:

Waiting to see how APC deals with Bukky Saraki..... Then I will have a perfect answer to your question.

Lol
Mtchew!! grin

To hell with those politicians. Let's talk something that has to do with our kids.

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by xynerise: 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2015
Atk01:

Well, much as I'm all for respecting people's wishes, sometimes you don't have a choice. It's better to go against their wish before they finally go out of control.
What if they refused to go with you?
Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by RoyalRoy(m): 4:31pm On Jun 29, 2015
xynerise:

Mtchew!! grin

To hell with those politicians. Let's talk something that has to do with our kids.

Mr Xynerise, is it not almost the same situation?

You can't throw the kid away with the bath water.
Diplomacy is the key word.

If you keep saying the same thing and he/she refuses to listen then you gotta try something new right?

Why not try to take away some privileges from the teenager?

And then he/she goes out to get it somewhere else by force or by crook?

And then you loose total control of the kid since he/she does not depend on you for some stuff anymore.

You dont want that do you?

So watch and see what APC does to Saraki, you will get a more broad way of dealing with the situation.
#Seriously!!!

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Atk01(f): 4:53pm On Jun 29, 2015
xynerise:

What if they refused to go with you?
I'm assuming they are teenagers, totally dependent on their parents. If you decide to change their schools, they really don't have a choice, do they?

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by winner01(m): 7:56pm On Jun 29, 2015
xynerise:

Rome was not built in a day, training begins from infantry,...the little things overlooked will grow to be a monster.....parents are 85% responsible for rebellious teens, they should also lead by example,...A teen can still be spanked in my opinion.

25 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by mutter(f): 8:23pm On Jun 29, 2015
winner01:
Rome was not built in a day, training begins from infantry,...the little things overlooked will grow to be a monster.....parents are 85% responsible for rebellious teens, they should also lead by example,...A teen can still be spanked in my opinion.
I absolutely agree.
The damage is done when they are still tender. As teenagers they are just putting into practice what is already programmed in them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Truckpusher(m): 8:23pm On Jun 29, 2015
xynerise:

It's time to bring that boy or girl closer to you and show them some respect,let them make some decisions for themselves and let them have their way sometimes else you're starting a war you'll surely lose.I had this same problem with my Dad as a teen and it was purely based on control and who says what you wear and where you go.

Every teenager wants to be seen as an independent personality from their parents wish and some decisions at a point . In as much as I still believe that they can't have it their own way all the time ,there should be some form of freedom else that child would ask for that freedom with the use of force and resentment for his or her parents.

Imagine being mocked by friends that you can only leave your house whenever your Dad releases you from his cage - This would infuriate a 15yr old boy and he would do something just to be respected by his peer group in the school and neighborhood and these are the little things that some parents don't just understand.

13 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 03, 2015
I hate rebellious teenagers. They regret it later in life. But still, they never admit that they are the ones behind their predicament. They still continue to blame everyone else. angry
They are often bitter and volatile.

Honestly, the best way is to start from when they are kids. Rebellious teenagers are impossible to control.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by baralatie(m): 11:42pm On Jul 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
I hate rebellious teenagers. They regret it later in life. But still, they never admit that they are the ones behind their predicament. They still continue to blame everyone else. angry
They are often bitter and volatile.

Honestly, the best way is to start from when they are kids. Rebellious teenagers are impossible to control.
Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by hvq229(m): 11:46pm On Jul 03, 2015
winner01:

problem is good parents often don't need to and not so good parents often spank inappropriately and ineffectively
Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by winner01(m): 7:24am On Jul 04, 2015
hvq229:

problem is good parents often don't need to and not so good parents often spank inappropriately and ineffectively
As much as i agree with you, a child will always be a child...caning accompanied with some positive examples is important..

1 Like

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by bukatyne(f): 8:08am On Jul 04, 2015
winner01:

Very correct.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by hvq229(m): 7:21am On Jul 07, 2015
winner01:
As much as i agree with you, a child will always be a child...caning accompanied with some positive examples is important..

I asked a question about a rebellious teenager-- a 17 year old girl -- who willfully disobeyed her parents by continuing to see a 20 year old boy she had been told to stay away from- and she's been spreading her thighs for him. Should I flog her? Most on the other thread think not and they mostly make good arguments against it

1 Like

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by winner01(m): 7:39am On Jul 07, 2015
hvq229:

I asked a question about a rebellious teenager-- a 17 year old girl -- who willfully disobeyed her parents by continuing to see a 20 year old boy she had been told to stay away from- and she's been spreading her thighs for him. Should I flog her? Most on the other thread think not and they mostly make good arguments against it
In this case there is a fundamental problem, she must have had so much time to herself while growing maybe due to her parents work or boarding school. So they spent little time with her. If not, a 17 year old in my opinion is still somewhat under the control of her parents....Even though shes not above the canning age, i suggest that the parents (the mother especially) should sit her down, express her dissapointment and dissapproval, advise and counsel her on the possible dangers now that sex is involved, Encourage her to focus on her bright future. Canning may only make things worse in this case.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 07, 2015
hvq229:

Using myself as an example, although at 17 I was not rebellious

1.withdraw some benefits/treats from her.. (I wouldn't care much) .
2. Flog her (I hate it physical.. I must change)
3. Again try getting to meet the 20YO boy and talk some sense into them ( I hate embarrassing situations I go run leave the guy)

If none of these work, then let her learn the hard way

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by baralatie(m): 11:59am On Jul 07, 2015
favoured234:

Using myself as an example, although at 17 I was not rebellious

1.withdraw some benefits/treats from her.. (I wouldn't care much) .
2. Flog her (I hate it physical.. I must change)
3. Again try getting to meet the 20YO boy and talk some sense into them ( I hate embarrassing situations I go run leave the guy)

If none of these work, then let her learn the hard way
you don't know what you are talking about.are you sure you are not just writing the above in the name of comments!
Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 07, 2015
baralatie:

you don't know what you are talking about.are you sure you are not just writing the above in the name of comments!

Did you comprehend what I wrote?
Was I referring to you or myself?
Do you know me better than I know myself?
So what are you talking about?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by baralatie(m): 2:36pm On Jul 07, 2015
favoured234:

Was I referring to you or myself?
Do you know me better than I know myself

[b][/b]
from these comment it is clear what you want as regards a 17 year teenage girl.
Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 07, 2015
baralatie:

from these comment it is clear what you want as regards a 17 year teenage girl.
Now this is it,

what I stated was how I knew I would have behaved when I was 17

1 Like

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by baralatie(m): 3:13pm On Jul 07, 2015
favoured234:
Now this is it,
what I stated was ((how I knew I would have behaved)) when I was 17
you get it know!
Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by hvq229(m): 6:48am On Jul 08, 2015
winner01:
In this case there is a fundamental problem, she must have had so much time to herself while growing maybe due to her parents work or boarding school. So they spent little time with her. If not, a 17 year old in my opinion is still somewhat under the control of her parents....Even though shes not above the canning age, i suggest that the parents (the mother especially) should sit her down, express her dissapointment and dissapproval, advise and counsel her on the possible dangers now that sex is involved, Encourage her to focus on her bright future. Canning may only make things worse in this case.

Her mother has been trying to teach her those things talking to her about the immorality of premarital sex and the practical risks of it- the disease the unwanted pregnancies-- trouble is the child doesn't think any of that is going to affect her. Further we don't trust this boy. He is from what I've been told irresponsible and the minute he gets her pregnant as he's done other girls I'm told abandon her

Her mother wants me to flog her. I may do it tomorrow. Her aunt will be over and she can help get the child ready without having to involve her mother- I like for her mother to talk with her afterwards. We're responsible for her safety, moral upbringing, and welfare. Maybe the caning won't work but I think we may have to try

1 Like

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by Came: 8:51am On Jul 08, 2015
Most of the bad behavior of teens are picked from their peers.It is advised that parents gets involved with their children& their friends, that way a parent would know the kind of friends their children keep.The influence children get from their peer group has a great influence on them.parents involvement with their children should start from when they are kids, not starting a relationship at adult stage with their children when the child already feels he/she has got friends out there to help out incase trouble showed up.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by zeb04(f): 9:11am On Jul 08, 2015
spanking a 17yrs old girl who is already sexually active is not a good move. you have to be extremely careful at these stage.you want to win her over not drive her away.

let the dad or brother speak to her.there is a difference when a male speaks to her .

the reason I never had a boyfriend through out my uni days was because of my dad nd brothers not necessarily because of my mum's advice. all the talk about dignity as a lady nd how the only things these guy want from you is what's between your legs,"i am a guy too so I know what I am saying". and you listen to them because you know he is saying the truth.

also you pray for them.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Control A Rebellious Teenager? by winner01(m): 10:01am On Jul 08, 2015
hvq229:

Her mother has been trying to teach her those things talking to her about the immorality of premarital sex and the practical risks of it- the disease the unwanted pregnancies-- trouble is the child doesn't think any of that is going to affect her. Further we don't trust this boy. He is from what I've been told irresponsible and the minute he gets her pregnant as he's done other girls I'm told

Her mother wants me to flog her. I may do it tomorrow. Her aunt will be over and she can help get the child ready without having to involve her mother- I like for her mother to talk with her afterwards. We're responsible for her safety, moral upbringing, and welfare. Maybe the caning won't work but I think we may have to try
I quite agree, You might also have to warn the boy to stay away from her and cease her phones too ....Since she seems stubborn, spanking is also a good option. It would break her a little and the hopefully she can show some remorse and listen to advise....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Helping Children With Special Needs And Learning Difficulties / Should A Woman Be Pregnant for Her Fiance Before Marriage? / Top Ten Reason For Divorce In 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.