Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. (3330 Views)

Scientists Are Making Computers Talk With Chemicals Instead Of Electricity / Nigerian Man Invents A Generator That Uses Water Instead Of Petrol / The Last Minute Of June Was 61 Seconds Long. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jun 29, 2015
The Earth's rotation is slowing, so everyone gets an extra second this week. shocked shocked shocked
In case you need a little extra time this week, the last minute of Tuesday, June 30 will contain 61 seconds instead of the usual 60.

Atomic clocks around the world will coordinate the leap second, which is necessary to keep Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) — the system that guides most international civil times systems — synced with the Earth's rotation.

On Tuesday, atomic clocks should read 23:59:59, then 23:59:60, before switching over to Wednesday with 00:00:00.

Michael Wouters, head of the Time and Frequency team at Australia's National Measurement Institute told Mashable Australia the leap second is being introduced because the difference between UTC and astronomical time has come close to one second.

Atomic time or UTC is based off highly accurate atomic clocks, but scientists also maintain time scales based on the rotation of the Earth using a technique called Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) that uses radio telescopes to measure the Earth's orientation. "These two things don't always agree with each other," he said.
The discrepancy arises because the Earth's rotation is not always predictable. For one thing, the interaction of the Earth with the gravitational forces of the moon and the sun mean it's gradually slowing down. In fact, leap seconds could occur more frequently in the future, Wouters said.

Other events on Earth like significant earthquakes can affect its movement. Changes in temperature due to weather and seasons can also cause the atmosphere to drag on the rotation of the Earth, which means we could see global warming start to have an impact, he said.

The change is intended to keep the UTC within half a second of astronomical time. "It's taken about three years to accumulate about a half a second difference," Wouters said. "This discrepancy accumulates at the rate of a few thousandths of a second a day."

The decision to add a leap second comes from the International Astronomical Union and the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IERS), which provides data about the Earth's rotation to the global scientific community. In January, the agency advised that a leap second should be introduced into the UTC in June.

According to Wouters, the choice of June 30 is just convention. The introduction of a leap second can happen at the end of any month, but it's typically restricted to the end of December or June. Leap seconds were first introduced in 1972 and have been implemented since as needed, according to NASA.

So, why do we need this leap second every few years? Mostly so UTC time doesn't get out of whack with our conception of time based on sunrise and sunset. "Of course, our experience of time is based on astronomical time," Wouters said. "We expect the sun to come up at a particular time, at a particular time of the year."

While you would eventually notice the sun was coming up later than expected if leap seconds weren't added, it would take a very long time. "It's something in the order of around 500 years or so to get a noticeable difference between UTC and astronomical time if you don't have leap seconds," he added.

The last leap second was added on June 30, 2012. That time around, sites like LinkedIn, Foursquare, Reddit and Yelp experienced technical glitches after web servers had difficulty handling the extra moment.

If the Internet shuts down over this, just take a breath and enjoy it. After all, you just got extra seconds of your life for free. grin grin grin

source: http://mashable.com/2015/06/29/tuesday-leap-second/#:eyJzIjoiZiIsImkiOiJfcjFrMWE2YzY2anpkNGFzaSJ9

Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 29, 2015
grin
A free second? No problem wink
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Ikemikeobi(m): 11:50pm On Jun 29, 2015
I see danger in the internet if this should happen
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Jboyossai(m): 12:16am On Jun 30, 2015
atleast INTROVERT could use that second to make atleast five FTC.....
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by sinaj(f): 1:20am On Jun 30, 2015
hmm... I will not miss diz out smiley
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by elfico(m): 5:03am On Jun 30, 2015
This leap second is a real pain in the neck of software developers. The fact that they irregular makes it difficult for programmers to make provisions against it and it becomes a major source of software bugs. I just hope it doesn't cause too much inconveniences this time around.
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
lalasticlala
Please move to Fp.
NLanders would love to witness this moment.
I'm not sleeping tonight

Leap Second all the way.
Seun Hope this won't affect NL program
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 30, 2015
sinaj:
hmm... I will not miss diz out smiley

Same here
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
Jboyossai:
atleast INTROVERT could use that second to make atleast five FTC.....
That Babe is something else
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 30, 2015
Ikemikeobi:
I see danger in the internet if this should happen
I Hope NL won't be affected
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 30, 2015
Tallesty1 today's June 30
confirmation of your previous post On January 4
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 30, 2015
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Tallesty1(m): 2:22pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:
Yes dear...

I am writing an update already
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 30, 2015
Tallesty1:
Yes dear...

I am writing an update already

Good
I love weird and awkward moments
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Tallesty1(m): 2:27pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:

Good
I love weird and awkward moments
#Scared.
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jun 30, 2015
Stancity.
Babatawa.
thespark.
2el.
Gazaliah.
Shawwa1.
Idee99.
Haywire1.
Hilsocial.
Majidyusuf.
Horladmeji.
Physika.
Sambest2.
Ayima.
Ayima again. Lol (u deserve two mentions).
To my babes,oya chop another kiss.
Chikodili345.
Haliluck.
Beamborla
deracathy.
Jemimaa01.
rmfunky.
Goldenone.
AndreRose.
Annybens (did I get it right?).
Prettyface.
Ellagoldy.
Marve

Count down to the last minute of june 30
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:
Stancity.
Babatawa.
thespark.
2el.
Gazaliah.
Shawwa1.
Idee99.
Haywire1.
Hilsocial.
Majidyusuf.
Horladmeji.
Physika.
Sambest2.
Ayima.
Ayima again. Lol (u deserve two mentions).
To my babes,oya chop another kiss.
Chikodili345.
Haliluck.
Beamborla
deracathy.
Jemimaa01.
rmfunky.
Goldenone.
AndreRose.
Annybens (did I get it right?).
Prettyface.
Ellagoldy.
Marve

1 extra second to my life, so much I can achieve in that time
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2015
majidyusuf:
1 extra second to my life, so much I can achieve in that time
let's see how it goes
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:

let's see how it goes
how would one even go about calculating the one second?
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by hilsocial(m): 3:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:
Stancity. Babatawa. thespark. 2el. Gazaliah. Shawwa1. Idee99. Haywire1. Hilsocial. Majidyusuf. Horladmeji. Physika. Sambest2. Ayima. Ayima again. Lol (u deserve two mentions). . To my babes,oya chop another kiss. Chikodili345. Haliluck. Beamborla deracathy. Jemimaa01. rmfunky. Goldenone. AndreRose. Annybens (did I get it right?). Prettyface. Ellagoldy. Marve

tanx for the mention.
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Physika(f): 3:48pm On Jun 30, 2015
Nice one here dera
An extra second to do what exactly

Lemme see .. *thinking*

Yea I got it..

An extra second to enjoin anyone that will mention my meme from this time henceforth should make the p in uppercase like this..
Physika

Thanks for your co-operations.

Cc
Gazaliah
Babatawa
Amynu

Et al

*Modified

F.P pls
Cc
UjSizzle
mkmyers45
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by hilsocial(m): 3:49pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:
Stancity. Babatawa. thespark. 2el. Gazaliah. Shawwa1. Idee99. Haywire1. Hilsocial. Majidyusuf. Horladmeji. Physika. Sambest2. Ayima. Ayima again. Lol (u deserve two mentions). . To my babes,oya chop another kiss. Chikodili345. Haliluck. Beamborla deracathy. Jemimaa01. rmfunky. Goldenone. AndreRose. Annybens (did I get it right?). Prettyface. Ellagoldy. Marve
FP pls.
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by goldenone(f): 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:
1 extra second
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by theSpark(m): 4:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
I'll use that free second to thank God for my life so far and for the second half of the year coming.
Ooops the one second would be over by then.

Isn't lalasticlala carrying us to lala land?
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 30, 2015
theSpark:
I'll use that free second to thank God for my life so far and for the second half of the year coming.
Ooops the one second would be over by then.

Isn't lalasticlala carrying us to lala land?

Hahahahaha it's Just a second, not a minute
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Beamborla(f): 4:20pm On Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for the mention, dear.
I catch the kiss kiss

But how do I calculate the extra second?

like how will it happen

Help... is it from 12:59-12:00 or what

don't want to miss it
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
O o o, you mean extra 1 second for each hour or for the whole day?
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 30, 2015
majidyusuf:
O o o, you mean extra 1 second for each hour or for the whole day?

the last minute of Tuesday, June 30 will contain 61 seconds instead of the usual 60
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2015
Beamborla:
Thanks for the mention, dear.
I catch the kiss kiss

But how do I calculate the extra second?

like how will it happen

Help... is it from 12:59-12:00 or what

don't want to miss it
On Tuesday, atomic clocks should read 23:59:59, then 23:59:60, before switching over to Wednesday with 00:00:00.
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by Beamborla(f): 6:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:

okies, hun
thanchuu
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by haywire1: 6:07pm On Jun 30, 2015
deracathy:

Which one be atomic clocks, una sha wan end this world with everything atomic
Atomic bomb, atomic grenade, atomic disaster, atomic gun, atomic death, atomic killer lipsrsealed

Lalasticlala gbami ooooo, I neva chop enough life nah sad sad

#
Re: June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. by haywire1: 6:08pm On Jun 30, 2015
Una wan cheat God abi, God is watching una ooo, baba God I no dey there ooo, here's ther list so b d judge

Male atomic bombers

Stancity.
Babatawa.
thespark.
2el.
Gazaliah.
Shawwa1.
Idee99.
Hilsocial.
Majidyusuf.
Horladmeji.
Physika.
Sambest2.
Ayima.

Female atomic bombers

Chikodili345.
Haliluck.
Beamborla
deracathy.
Jemimaa01.
rmfunky.
Goldenone.
AndreRose.
Annybens
Prettyface.
Ellagoldy.
Marve

#

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gtbank Virtual Mastercard : How To Create And Fund It / How to Buy Recharge Token/Units for Prepaid Meter Online / Youtube Releases App That Allows Users To Download Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.