Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

How To Drive In The Rain - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Drive In The Rain (13766 Views)

12 Phrases You Wil NEVER Get Unless You Learnt How To Drive In Nigeria. / My Funny Experience Learning How To Drive In Lagos / 8 Category Of Cars Old Men Drive In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Drive In The Rain by dridowu: 11:26am On Jun 30, 2015
It is the time of the year with heavy rain and unfortunately with rain comes loads of road accidents. According to the Federal Road Safety Corps, a reasonable percentage of all road accidents are weather-related, with the majority occurring during cloudy/darkened weather and/or on wet tarmac in the rain.

Wet driving conditions can be very hazardous for a number of reasons. Roads that are wet from the rain build up a film of oily water and grease that make it more difficult for tyres to gain traction. Additionally, driver visibility decreases greatly in rainy conditions.

While driving in the rain cannot altogether be avoided, extra precautions can be taken by the driver being vigilant and practising the best road safety methods when it’s essential to drive in the rain.

Tips on how to drive in the rain:

Demist your front and back windscreens: This may seem like a simple tip but you must ensure you have the best vision possible when driving in the rain. Therefore, make sure that your front and, especially, the rear screen defrosters are working effectively.

Do not use your high beam headlights: While it is important to use low beam headlights in the wet, high beam headlights are likely to reflect back on you thus reducing your visibility.

When driving through water: Generally, if the water is deeper than the bottom of your doors or the bottom third of your wheels, it is inadvisable to attempt driving through it. Use extreme caution and slow right down, it is important to watch the flow of the water and how fast it is going. If the water is too high, take a different route rather than driving through the flood and risking damaging your electronic control systems.

Drive in the tracks of the car in front: Following another car’s tracks on wet roads can reduce the amount of water between the road and your car tyres. Whenever possible, slow down by taking your foot off the accelerator and avoid using your brakes.

Steer into the skid: The first thing you should do is to remain calm, ease your foot off the accelerator and carefully steer in the direction you want the front of the car to go. This is called ‘steering into the skid’ and will bring the back end of your car in line with the front. For cars without anti-lock braking system, avoid using your brakes. If your car has ABS, brake firmly as you ‘steer into the skid.’

Engage in regular auto maintenance: Make sure you replace old, brittle windshield wipers, since they make already-challenging rainy weather visibility much worse. Check your brakes and tyres regularly. Keep windshield clean and use your windshield defroster to keep the inside of your windows moisture-free.

Be aware of the most dangerous driving conditions: The road is at its slickest at the beginning of a rainstorm that follows a long dry spell. This is because the residual oil and rubber-dust that has accumulated on the roads will mix with the water to form a very slick, skid-causing mixture. This slippery residue is especially prominent in intersections and other places where cars must idle for periods of time. If possible, avoid driving in the early part of rainstorms that follow long dry periods, and if you must drive, exercise extra caution.

Do not use cruise control: If your car hydroplanes, the cruise control could actually cause your car to accelerate, which would be particularly dangerous.

Use your headlights, but not your high beams: Be sure to turn your headlights on, even in the lightest of rains. Headlights will help you be more visible to other drivers, as well as improve your own visibility. Do not, however, turn on your high beams. Doing so causes the light to bounce off of particles of water in the air, and will create a blinding effect to other drivers.

Be wary of water collected on the road: Never drive through moving water that you cannot see the ground beneath since doing so could cause your car to be swept off the road. Also, avoid large puddles altogether; driving into deep water or splashing water up under your car can cause considerable damage to your vehicle.

Tap your brakes lightly after crossing through a puddle: This will help dry out some of the water on your rotors.

Use the centre lanes: Water tends to collect on the sides of the roads; so drive as closely to the centre of the road as you can without crossing over the yellow lines or being a hazard to cars around you.

Avoid using the brakes when possible: If it is safe to do so, slow down by releasing your foot from the throttle pedal rather than hitting the brakes. When you do need to use your brakes, try to brake as early as possible to alert drivers behind you that you are slowing down, and apply a steady but firm pressure.

Maintain a proper distance between your car and the one ahead: Under normal conditions, there should be a 10 second gap, but in the rain, cars need two to three times more stopping distance.

Slow Down: Decreasing your speed is the most important piece of advice when driving in the rain. Particularly when approaching puddles, be cautious. Hitting puddles of even a few inches at high speeds can cause you to lose control of your vehicle and in some instances, vehicles’ engines have knocked through hydro-lock. When driving in wet conditions, you are also more likely to encounter accidents or debris in the road that you will need to avoid. Travelling slowly ensures that you will have time to see and respond in a timely manner, even with decreased visibility and a longer stopping distance.

http://www.punchng.com/columnists/automedics/how-to-drive-in-the-rain/

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by colossus2: 11:30am On Jun 30, 2015
So true....but op dem long sha and you for try space the points instead of them looking congested.

1 Like

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by dridowu: 11:34am On Jun 30, 2015
colossus2:
So true....but op dem long sha and you for try space the points instead of them looking congested.
i wish i can do it but am on mobile right now and the network is not helping me out. May be lalasticlala would help me out.

2 Likes

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by colossus2: 11:36am On Jun 30, 2015
dridowu:
i wish i can do it but am on mobile right now and the network is not helping me out. May be lalasticlala would help me out.
Okay lemme help ya.... I am the new admin of this site grin

1 Like

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by deebsman1(m): 12:38pm On Jun 30, 2015
tor
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by bornmekus: 12:38pm On Jun 30, 2015
Noted
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Minet16(m): 12:39pm On Jun 30, 2015

Good one OP, learnt something

#@MINET16
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Swagk101(m): 12:39pm On Jun 30, 2015
ShakurM:
kuku let James Bond be ur driver angry
Vodkka:
in wizkid's voice
*me I no get shi-shi*talk more of car....
next topic grin
Swagk101:
Danfo drivers won't read dis shii tongue

1 Like

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by alphaStoner(m): 12:39pm On Jun 30, 2015
[size=90pt] Oshey [/size]
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Swagt101(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
Shaadey:
Buh I nor get car angryBuh I nor get car
Don't worry, Adekunle Gold go buy u one soon grin.... Thanks OP... *zoom off in my Venza* cool
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by godofwar666(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
You dont need to drive just park ur car until the rain stops undecided hope i'm right?
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by blemon44(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
Drive in the tracks of the car in front: Following another car’s tracks on wet roads can reduce the amount of water between the road and your car tyres. Whenever possible, slow down by taking your foot off the accelerator and avoid using your brakes.

what if the cars in front are leading you astray grin

1 Like

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by coolshegs10(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
I..
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by sandrajazmin(f): 12:41pm On Jun 30, 2015
Ok.... Jst incase i buy a car 2mrrw
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Ochiske(m): 12:41pm On Jun 30, 2015
Okaygrin

2 Likes

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Quinn581(m): 12:41pm On Jun 30, 2015
thanks for the tip
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Whizpeter(m): 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
Kk
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by piicity(m): 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
kiss and you think 9ja drivers go hear this one,instead of maintaining these rules they will stop driving
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by osaskiwhyte(m): 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by ShakurM(m): 12:43pm On Jun 30, 2015
kuku let James Bond be ur driver angry

1 Like

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Edwardhead(m): 12:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
shit...bad network
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by bobcharly(m): 12:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
A man checked into a hotel. There was a
Computer in his room, so he decided to send a
mail to his wife. he accidentally typed the
wrong email address, and without realizing he
sent the mail to a widow who has just returned
from her husband's funeral. The widow decided
to check her mail, expecting condolence
messages from relatives and friends. After
reading the first message she fainted. The son
rushed into the room, found his mother on the
floor and saw the Computer screen which read:
'to my loving wife, I know you are surprised to
hear from me, they have Computers here and
we are allowed to send mails to loved ones. I
have just been checked in. How are you and
the kids, the place is really nice but I am lonely
here. I have made necessary arrangements for
your arrival tomorrow very early. You will come
by the first Angel Cruiser. Expecting you
darling. I can't wait to see you.-....Nwankwo di aso...

have a nice day!

2 Likes

Re: How To Drive In The Rain by amanze15(m): 12:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
How to drive in harmanttan nko, go and catch does edoits that can fix their brake lights and driving mark webber on the highways
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
What about how to trek?
Kp
Kpp
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by amanze15(m): 12:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
Okay
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Shaadey: 12:45pm On Jun 30, 2015
Buh I nor get car angryBuh I nor get car
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by piicity(m): 12:46pm On Jun 30, 2015
Hy babe
sandrajazmin:
Ok.... Jst incase i buy a car 2mrrw
Re: How To Drive In The Rain by Precious91(m): 12:46pm On Jun 30, 2015
Thanks,Dr Idowu

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car Maintenance: 5 Useful Tips Every Car Owner Should Know About / Tanker Spilling Fuel At Ibadan (photos) / 5 Cars Revealed At Geneva With Over 1000 Horsepower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.