Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,890 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Amazing- Someone Started A Crowdfunding To Pay Off Greece’s Debt Of 1.6B Euro - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Amazing- Someone Started A Crowdfunding To Pay Off Greece’s Debt Of 1.6B Euro (650 Views)

FIRS Seals Four Firms Over Tax Debt Of N630m / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS / 5 Entrepreneurs In Africa Who Started A Successful Business With $100 Or Less (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amazing- Someone Started A Crowdfunding To Pay Off Greece’s Debt Of 1.6B Euro by JAZES(m): 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2015
You don’t even have to be interested in politics and the state of the global economy to know Greece are well and truly in the sh*t.

They’re in a lot of debt. So much debt, they’re currently spending around 180% of their GDP. So for every €242 billion (approximate GDP) they make, they’re spending almost €500 billion.

As you can imagine, this has left a lot of people who might not necessarily deserve to have no money, with no money. And all because politicians don’t understand a simple concept like: if you don’t have the money, don’t buy it.

With that in mind, Greece’s Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has been negotiating hard with the EU and the International Monetary Fund to try and come to some sort of agreement about how to pay back this debt without further crippling the country. It’s been going on for years and there is still no agreement.

Without making things too complicated, Greece are about to default on a €1.6 billion repayment to the IMF and if that happens, they’ll probably be forced to stop using the euro as a currency. It’s all incredibly embarrassing and if (when) this happens, it will pretty much condemn a large proportion of people in Greece to at least a generation’s worth of poverty. Something the humanitarians among us want to avoid.

One such man is Thom Feeney from Yorkshire. He’s not Greek, he just doesn’t want to see people punished for what they haven’t caused. And so he has done what any person of this generation does when they want something done… start a crowdfund.

It’s an ambitious target of €1.6 billion but you’ll be surprised to hear that it is actually absolutely flying. When it came to our attention a few hours ago, the fund was on around €40,000. It’s now almost double that and counting.

As Thom says on the Indiegogo page, the EU is home to some 503 million people. If everyone chips in around three euros each, then Greece’s debt would be paid.

€1.6bn is what the Greeks need. It might seem like a lot but it’s only just over €3 from each European. That’s about the same as half a pint in London. Or everyone in the EU just having a Feta and Olive salad for lunch.

Rumours are that Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras wants to meet with Thom to discuss this crowdfund.

I’m not just making a statement, this is a real attempt to do something. But at the very least it’s important to raise the issue of the plight of the Greek people at this time. Not just the profiles of politicians. I heard a rumour from a journalist that Mr Tsipras wanted to get in touch.

If the target isn’t reached, all the money will be refunded but the way this page is growing, there is actually a small chance the most ambitious Indiegogo fund ever may actually turn out to be a success.

Europeans are pretty generous on the whole. There are 500 million people in the EU and actually, it wouldn’t cost each person much to just sort it out ourselves. I’m confident the people of Europe will get this campaign and some time soon we’ll all be raising a glass of Ouzo and having a bloody great big celebration. I hope very much that the campaign will reach the target, I think it will be a victory for people power.

If you want to donate to the crowdfund and help the people of Greece out of this predicament, you can so by visiting the Indiegogo page here.

http://onlineleaks.com/amazing-someone-started-a-crowdfunding-to-pay-greeces-debt-of-1-6b-euro/

Re: Amazing- Someone Started A Crowdfunding To Pay Off Greece’s Debt Of 1.6B Euro by JAZES(m): 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2015
The fund has now hit 130,000 euros. If they are able to raise the 1.6B euros with crowdfunding, this is going the biggest fund raising done through crowd funding and its going to a great win for humanity
Re: Amazing- Someone Started A Crowdfunding To Pay Off Greece’s Debt Of 1.6B Euro by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2015
We think we are so bad, but there are some worse than us. We cry because we are sick, while we forget those who have died. God bless 9ja
Re: Amazing- Someone Started A Crowdfunding To Pay Off Greece’s Debt Of 1.6B Euro by importexpert(m): 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2015
nice and great initiative.
Re: Amazing- Someone Started A Crowdfunding To Pay Off Greece’s Debt Of 1.6B Euro by JAZES(m): 3:31pm On Jun 30, 2015
dicefrost:
We think we are so bad, but there are some worse than us. We cry because we are sick, while we forget those who have died. God bless 9ja

My brother i tell politicians all over the world are the same o. So much greed in their blood, imagine what they are making people go through all because of their greed. Make God deliver us from their hands o

(1) (Reply)

How You Can Start Earning Cool Cash Online Without Paying A Dime / Breaking News: Pump Price Hike: DSS Takes Over Monitoring Of Fuel Distribution /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.