Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,169 members, 7,780,195 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:42 AM

Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital (19963 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by lastpage: 3:49am On Mar 03, 2009
Expired!
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 03, 2009
T
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Ilelobola: 2:47pm On Mar 03, 2009
A friend paid £1,500 in a NHS hospital however she is British and has been living abroad (Nigeria) hence did not qualify for the free service. As I understand, the costs will be the same for a non-national. And that's a straight forward birth though.

Having a UK/Irish BC bestows no benefits/rights on the child if neither parent is a citizen or resident. You also need to be aware that UK immigration can prevent you from entering the country if they know you are coming to have a child (assuming you didn’t disclose your intentions in your application of course) here regardless of your intention to pay or not especially if you are planning on using a NHS hospital as the cost is still supposedly subsidised.

Might be worth your while trying to obtain a Canadian/US visa and having the child in either country if you can, but I understand this might have repercussions for the parent in future e.g. ban from entering the country regardless of payment or non payment of medical bills etc.

I agree with your trying to get your child dual nationality as we don't know where our nation is headed. Good Luck.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 03, 2009
I d
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by tpia: 4:33pm On Mar 03, 2009
wow.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by lastpage: 5:15pm On Mar 03, 2009
Expired
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Nobody: 8:05pm On Mar 03, 2009
I a
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by shapey(f): 10:37am On Mar 04, 2009
@ poster

Why dont you put that money in a trust for the child instead. Just a little suggestion thoug. £7k in this time of credit crunch is alot of money. That's just the hospital bill not ur accommodation and other little expenses yet. Considering the fact that the child will be treated like others who do not have a british passport.
If you do not clear your bills, the birth cert may not be given to you. If you manage to return to 9ja without clearing your bill, that will count against you, and getting a visa will be difficult next time.

Chaircover has said alot of things which should be looked into. Anyway, look at private hospitals online and some nhs.As for the nhs, they may be SLIGHTLY cheaper, especially as you do not qualify to be treated as an nhs patient-you are only but a visitor.

I will look out and post with some info later. Goodluck
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by shapey(f): 10:41am On Mar 04, 2009
@poster

YOu may want to move this post to the travel section if you want pataki and the others to take a look at it. They are more active in that section.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by JJYOU: 12:21pm On Mar 04, 2009
shapey:

@poster

YOu may want to move this post to the travel section if you want pataki and the others to take a look at it. They are more active in that section.
shapey na u be this? how u dey? how baby / amsky and co?

chaircover:

Another thing is accommodation - Not many people want to or have the space to accommodate a pregnant mother and a new born screaming baby in their homes for the duration of the confinement.

The minister’s wives etc you mention almost always have their own houses here in the UK and are not depending on relatives & friends to accommodate them for the 4 weeks.

It also crossed my mind (I may be wrong) that the hospitals way of ensuring people paid their bills in time may be not to release relevant important documents required in order to register the birth at the local register office meaning no birth certificate can be issued. No birth certificate means the child cannot travel out of the country not even on mum’s passport.

I wish you all the best which ever decision you go for and wish you a safe delivery. A gbo ohun iya a gho ohun omo Amin.

you will be shocked to know how many so called naija rich people went ahead to collect council flats and child benefits. our people dont know how to use other people property without abusing it or spoiling it for others.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by funkybaby(f): 12:32pm On Mar 04, 2009
lastpage:

Thanks, 'Ilelobola' and 'Chair',
l do appreciate your response and concerns. I guess it has to do with the level of "uncertainty and insecurity" in our domain.
I use to ask myself these same questions, a few years back, when l noticed that most of my female boss made it a tradition to give birth abroad!
Ministers (or their wife) do it, Presidents do it, M.D's do it and most "well-to-do" people do it so, l ask myself, "WHY" are these "relatively rich" people still ensuring their children were born abroad?
No easy answer was forth-coming but at a point, l decided that l will play it safe, "join them", since all these successful people cant be that foolish.
If you see a Dog scratching and digging the ground, "sumtin dey yonder" o! grin

Hahahaha  grin grin grin
You are funny
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by funkybaby(f): 12:50pm On Mar 04, 2009
@ poster

I hear things are tight now for such pranks but some ladies are still getting away with it

It is possible but you cannot do this without the asssistance of whosoever is going to host you in UK

I am not going to name hospitals but it's best you go outside London and prefarbly look for hospitals located around where you have large Pakistani community. I suggest Birmingham.

I no go talk pass this.

Btw: drop that line that you are willing to cough out over 2million naira just to have your baby own a BC that cannot get her anything grin grin I refused to fall for it grin
If that is what you want to do, it's simple. Get a referral note from your naija doc, contact a British hospital, take all the documents and apply for visa on medical grounds from BHC
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Ilelobola: 1:00pm On Mar 04, 2009
Chaircover’s given you the approx costs. Unfortunately I don’t know the procedure either as my friend came to attend her ante-natal appointments here. She had her child 2 years ago at Barnet Hospital (you may want to call them to find out +44 208 216 4600). You may also want to try http://www.independentmidwives.org.uk/ they have birth centres all over the UK and costs about £4,600 for a homebirth or at their centre. London may be more expensive though. You may also want to call the local NHS hospitals in the area you will be in the UK to find out the cost to a private patient in their hospital as they are different for every hospital.

I agree with Shapey, the money could be better spent investing in something for the child.

However, contrary to what Chaircover & Shapey’s said, every hospital will try to keep a preterm baby alive. Where they don’t have the facilities to do so, they will try to get the mother to a hospital that does before she gives birth or transfer the child ASAP. My cousin had twins at King George’s hospital at 22+ weeks though they do not have adequate facilities, they were transferred ASAP to another that do and were there for over 1 year. They always do their best to keep the children alive regardless of cost except it is not in the interest of the child. For a non-national/resident, the cost will be exorbitant of course.

The hospitals have no right to prevent registration of a child in order to obtain a BC. Everyone has a right to be given a BC regardless of parents’ nationality. I was not given anything to give to the registrar when obtaining one for my daughter. I only had to take mine and my husband’s ID documents which the lady did not even look at. She had it on her system already that I had a child on X date at X time in X hospital when I gave her my name. However, this registrar’s office was in the hospital grounds so might be different for others outside the hospital or even other boroughs.

1 Like

Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Hauwa1: 1:53pm On Mar 04, 2009
seems poster is one of those stinky rich nigerians/ nigerians with connection or family connection. don't try to hide it  cheesy

Blimey  grin
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 04, 2009
I
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Ilelobola: 2:40pm On Mar 04, 2009
Didn't want to mention it before as there's obviously a pregnant woman in the house but unfortunately one of the twins died just when they thought he could go home and the other is severely disabled. However, babies born that young do survive. My cousin suffered a lot of urinary infection which was part of the reasons for the preterm delivery.

I don't know much about the rules; sure you are right but based on my cousin's experience, they were kept alive until they could be transferred. I think each hospital trusts has it's own policy.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by shapey(f): 2:52pm On Mar 04, 2009
@ JJyou

Na me oh!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing fine. My daughter is great. I just got back to work, so I had to take her to a childminder. Amsky dey berekete. smiley I have only spoken to her on phone, work no let am see road. Take care of you. kiss
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 04, 2009
I
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 04, 2009
lastpage:

If you see a Dog scratching and digging the ground, "sumtin dey yonder" o! grin

Word!!!
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by manmustwac(m): 1:11am On Mar 05, 2009
@post
Being born in the UK does not give your child British citizenship. If {you} the parents have foreign citizenship at the time of the childs birth he or she will inherit your nationalit(ies). Unless {you} the parents have citizenship or Leave to Remain in the UK at the time of the birth he or she will not get British Citizenship.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by lastpage: 7:05am On Mar 05, 2009
Expired
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by funkybaby(f): 9:59am On Mar 05, 2009
lastpage:

Thanks everybody, for your responses.
I've always wondered "why" people volunteer good information, even for a total stranger like me?; and its common among Nigerians, even to the extent of what you did not even ask for! Shows we are 'naturally good people', na only "kondision" make our cray-fish bend  wink

Now "Hauwa",
how on earth did you arrive at that conclusion of me being a "one of those stinky Nigerians"?
First, this would be my first child, l come from a very poor home (that probably explains my phobia for poverty, for me on my child, now and in the future!  grin)  but l have learnt to save the little l have.

I work, yes, work hard and l pray you or my children would not have to go through what l went through in this Naija, growing-up
(have you ever hawked before, on the streets ? well, l have as a girl of abt 10yrs; even now, l still support the parents that put me through such ordeal but l guess l cant blame them, they should have planned better, and God forbid if my child would blame me in future; Mummy, why did you not do X and Y for me when the parents of my friend 'Hauwa', were doing it for her?  tongue grin)

Okay, enough of sad stories, dont mind me Hauwa. Am just another poor 'gaal' from the hood (the type they call "my pikin", no
kidding).
No one has explained to me, the question l asked about rich folks going-on to give birth abroad? Those that already have everything and more than enough for their "issues" to inherit!

I am betting that when my child is 18+, she can file for 'temporary residence', then 'long-term residency', with her B.Cert  and anything can happen from there, in future?  undecided

Does anyone have experience from the Belfast/Ireland region? someone said l should check-out that area!

Funkybabe, you're special. How do l move the thread to another section pls?

Dont mind my poverty-induced paronia, it runs deep :d

Cheers and Tx

Hmmmm

This woman I dey suspect you oh grin grin grin

Are you sure you are coming back to naija after having your baby? Confess oh grin grin grin . So we can know what to tell/advice you

Any plan you have up your sleeves, all I can tell you is that you will be doing yourself a good favour if you have a 'smart' host and you let them know your plans

Your baby CANNOT get anything with that certificate. If that's your goal, then waka go American embassy.

I have no idea how to move topics. But you can ask the moderator to help you.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by funkybaby(f): 10:03am On Mar 05, 2009
Forget Belfast/Ireland

It was smooth few years ago but things have changed

Except you wan go there go hang undecided

Even with that, you are only going to suffer/punish yourself if you do not have a host/friends in UK that are 'soji' and willing to help
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Hauwa1: 10:16am On Mar 05, 2009
poster, you are going to be a great mama with such long term goal for your baby. keep it up and good wishes and thoughts are all i have for you.

make sure you go with good amt of money and hope you have a good host too.

who knows your kid will be the mayor of where you are going to cheesy
take are of yourself wink
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by funkybaby(f): 10:26am On Mar 05, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Kai, hauwa grin grin
What are you suggesting

If she has her baby at st. Nicholas hospital in Lagos, can't the kid become the next Lagos island local government chairman grin grin
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by shapey(f): 11:44am On Mar 05, 2009
*Hauwa*:

poster, you are going to be a great mama with such long term goal for your baby. keep it up and good wishes and thoughts are all i have for you.

make sure you go with good amt of money and hope you have a good host too.

LOL at this. Is it easy to be a mayor in Britain? If na so then i for don be mayor te te. Having a long term goal for the baby will mean putting the money in a trust, considering the fact that a brithish birth certificate will NEVER get the child any british citizenship, free schooling or whatever. It's the mom's choice, not ours. Having a stable future does not mean being born in Britain. I think it having the best education, and being able to compete anywhere one finds oneself.

My opinion. wink
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Nobody: 12:52pm On Mar 05, 2009
in my opinion, you are better off spending half of that money in a state of the art hospital in Nigeria where you will be taken off.
a fews years ago it was possible to have a baby in the UK and then get a passport for the child but times have changed.

if you are not a citizen/british national then things are about to get harder cos the ID card scheme is now in operation.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by lastpage: 10:53pm On Mar 05, 2009
Expired!
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by shapey(f): 11:02pm On Mar 05, 2009
There is indeed a place called Lewisham here. I do not know about this your friend's argument. YOu may wish to direct it to the ''gurus'' in that field. I just found out about a guy who has a B.C that has not changed anything for him. He just applied for his post study work visa and was refused. I just found this out and that was why I came back to this thread. He paid his 12k for his tuition, and every other thing. He has just handed in his dissertation. His post study work visa application was refused, eventhough he was given full right of appeal.

Good luck.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by VOR(m): 11:57pm On Mar 05, 2009
Lastpage,

I love your posts and your optimism. I have two kids myself and I admire and empathise with your determination to do the best for your child .

However, I am afraid what you have already been told is correct, a British birth certificate would give your child no more rights to anything in the UK than a child born in Nigeria. This has been the case since 31/12/1982.

As for your former colleague unless she was born on or before the date above I doubt the provenance of her story. Sounds like fabu to me. Yes there is a place in South East London called Lewisham.

Sorry to have rained on your parade but unless there is a fundamental and retrospective change to UK citizenship laws you are probably better off either having the baby in Nigeria or in the words of Funky: waka go American embassy.

Good luck.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by Pataki: 12:21am On Mar 06, 2009
Gosh VOR beat me to the post!

Is it actually after 1982 or rather after 1981?

@ Poster,

[b]A British Birth Certificate does not in anyway, confer any right on your child whether now, or in the nearest future, with the current British immigration law. [/b]It is advisable that, with the money you have been saving, plan for your kid in the nearest future for a good education abroad if indeed you want the best for them.

You may try your options with other countries which I am not conversant with, but with the UK, please do not come to waste your money for nothing, and your child later on in years blame you, that you could have spent the money wisely in other ways.

Just my one cent on this topic.

Cheers.
Re: Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital by elsie2(f): 12:23am On Mar 06, 2009
The former "senior colleague" in question was almost certainly born before 1982 (26 years old) that would account for her experience. I have relatives who followed the same route and they were all born b/4 1982.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19: Onyeama Says Evacuation Of Nigerians Abroad Starts Next Week / 5 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Obudu / Ghana Presidential Jet Catches Fire At Kotoka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.