Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,869 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. (36649 Views)

Benue Cargo Airport: Sultan Of Sokoto Is Ignorant – Ortom / Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant / Criticising Buhari Over " President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Krisgift(f): 4:49pm On Jul 01, 2015
'senior moment' indeed.

Then he has no business in government since he's old. I hope his so called senior moments won't cost us more serious issues.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 4:51pm On Jul 01, 2015
Aitee1:
Op Iffa hear say you dey defend that Duara cow rearer for embarrassing himself thinking he's embarrassing us I go cut off your third leg angry angry angry
Oya na!

You can criticise all you like, but be rest assured and which am also assure of, that he is going to deliver on his promises.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by chiedu7: 4:53pm On Jul 01, 2015
He made that mistake simply becos he is
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 01, 2015
Like Buhari, Reagan lost in a past presidential election, but went ahead to defeat a younger incumbent in 1980. He won re-election at nearly 74 years with the biggest Electoral College victory in America history. When he left office in 1989, Reagan had an approval rating of 68 percent, which is the highest rating for a departing president in America modern history. Only Franklin D. Roosevelt and Bill Clinton rival this feat.

I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a Cabinet meeting."....Ronald Reagan.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by todayguest(m): 4:54pm On Jul 01, 2015
I got your point. 1.PMB is not clueless, and Most of the ppl calling him clueless are not better than him. 2. He is not the first President to suffer memory loss. U.S President Ronald Reagan had the same in his time. 3. He is an old man, and such relapses comes with age. We shall see more of it in the future. 4. Instead of treating them as embarrassments, we should rather see them as presidential humour.5. His age and occasional memory relapses won't affect his performance. 6. While he may not be perfect, however, his integrity will speak for him.

1 Like

Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 01, 2015
"Senior moment" and "Dementia " is like "six" and "half a dozen"

The brainless one should just resign and attend to the only thing he can remember "his cows"

1 Like

Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by tsdarkside(m): 4:54pm On Jul 01, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:
I have read people refer to President Buhari as "clueless" and suchlike adjectives of disesteem suggesting cognitive incapacity - for his recent reference to German Chancellor Angela Merkel as "President Michelle of West Germany" . That is ignorant. And I will explain why shortly.

There are many things to criticize about president Buhari, but clueless-ness isn't one of them. His thought - process are clearly complex, sophisticated and high - level. If in doubt, get hold of any of his off - the cuff remarks, go beyond the distractions of his accent, and you will see a man whose intellect is deep and whose understanding of governance and world politics is admirably advanced.

You are probably wondering where I am going with this. How can someone call Germany "West Germany, mangle its president's name and official title, and I not say he isn't clueless but insist he is, in fact, intellectually deep?

OK, let me start by saying I am not some viscerally one - dimensional, unreflective Buhari apologist who is wedded to what I call the misguided philosophy of Buharist inerrancy, that is, the wrong-headed idea that Buhari is only human who is liable to errors and lapses of judgment. Many of us who criticised him in the future, do so not because we are better but because, as the saying goes, the onlookers, not the participants, see most of the game.

Now, when Buhari called German Chancellor Angela Merkel "President Michelle of West Germany", he was merely suffering from what Americans call "senior moment", which is the momentary lapse in the memory occasioned by old age. . As psychologists know only too well, as we age, the speed with which we retrieve information from our cognitive reservoir slows. Age-related memory lapses, experts tell us can start as early as late 30s and get worse as we get older.

Noble Prize - winning neurologist Eric Kandel and his colleagues published a well - received study in 2003 in the Journal of Science Translational Medicine where they, among other things, reveal that a "memory gene" in us appears to get weaker as our brain ages, causing us to forget easily, mix things up, and be unable to easily recall information stored in our memory bank.

Buhari is not the only president who contends with age - related memory impairment. The late President Ronald Reagan, America's oldest president, who was elected at nearly 70 years in his first term, was famous for his bewildering senior moments. I will give only few examples. President Reagan constantly referred to his own Vice President, George Bush, Sr. (father of George W. Bush), as "Prime Minister Bush" . (Remember Buhari's reference to Vice President Osinbajo as " Osunbade " during a campaign rally in Owerri? )

And, according to Tom Friedman's 2006 book titled You Are Not Alone :1,000 Unforgettable Senior Moments : "President Roland Reagan's senior moments were legendary. He often forgot what foreign country he was in or the name of the dignitaries he was meeting. When he visited Brazil, he referred to it as Bolivia. He greeted Princess Diana as 'Prince David' .

Have you seen any similarities yet?

Well, another US President, Richard Nixon, had a senior moment when he went to France in 1974 to attend the funeral of French President Georges Pompidou. Nixon had a lapse of memory and totally forgot why he was in France, so he said : "This is a great day for France! "

There will be many more Age-related lapses from President Buhari. Get used to it. It's no big deal. It's part of normal process of aging, and has no impact or whatsoever on cognitive ability or performance. In spite of his notoriety for embarrassing "senior moments", President Reagan has often been ranked as one of America's greatest Presidents. In fact, a February 2011 Gallup poll placed him as Americas greatest President of all time ahead of Abraham Lincoln.

Like Buhari, Reagan lost in a past presidential election, but went ahead to defeat a younger incumbent in 1980. He won re-election at nearly 74 years with the biggest Electoral College victory in America history. When he left office in 1989, Reagan had an approval rating of 68 percent, which is the highest rating for a departing president in America modern history. Only Franklin D. Roosevelt and Bill Clinton rival this feat.

I am not implying Buhari will be a Nigerian Ronald Reagan, but his age - induced cognitive impairments and slips should not cause us to dismiss him. When he recently said to Nigerians in South Africa " I wish I became Head of State when I was a governor, just a few years as a young man. Now at 72, there is a limit to what I can do", he was referring to the inevitable impairments that age imposes on people. But senior moments don't impair performance if the will to succeed is there, as the example of Ronald Reagan clearly shows.

Although I think it's ignorant to hold Buhari's senior moments as evidence of cluelessness, it's fair game to poke fun at them. That's the nature of democracy. Even Reagan laughed at the humour his senior moments actuated. I hope Buhari and his Legion of zealous, humorless supporters will learn to laugh at his senior moment joke.

http://www.farooqkperogi.com/2015/06/criticizing-buhari-over-president.html?m=1

op,you are the one that know nothing...even today,the germans themselves still see themselves as west and east..you are the one without understanding...by doing that,buhari is telling them that,he knows who they are,and they shouldnt mess with us,nigerians....now,that is deep understanding....
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by ChelseaDr(m): 4:55pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hmmm....ok
OP, Could "Senior moments" be a sign of Alzheimer's disease?

A recent study published in Journal of Neurology suggests that "all memory loss should be taken seriously because it could indicate the person is at risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and related Dementia in life". Prof Richard J. Kryscio of University of Kentucky who was the leading researcher, said: "Doctors should not minimise these complaints and should take them seriously"

Memory decline with age.is a natural process. British Medical Journal published 2012 stated that there is 9.6% decline in memory between the ages of 65 and 70 years. This decline gets worse beyond 70 years.

l disagree with the fact that memory loss does not affect performance...yes to an extent... but because age is a progressive phenomenon at certain time in our lives cognitive abilities are bound to affect our perfomance capabilities.

Lets pray for PMB
source: CBS NEWS Sept 4, 2014
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 4:56pm On Jul 01, 2015
Krisgift:
'senior moment' indeed.

Then he has no business in government since he's old. I hope his so called senior moments won't cost us more serious issues.

Please, I advise you read and comprehend.

What about Richard Nixon, who went to France to attend the funeral of French President Georges Pompidou, and said "This is a great day for France" ?
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by jaz(m): 5:00pm On Jul 01, 2015
STORY FOR THE GODS!! its not acceptable so don't make excuses!!!!
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by ibietela2(m): 5:06pm On Jul 01, 2015
[s]
IdisuleOurOwn:
I have read people refer to President Buhari as "clueless" and suchlike adjectives of disesteem suggesting cognitive incapacity - for his recent reference to German Chancellor Angela Merkel as "President Michelle of West Germany" . That is ignorant. And I will explain why shortly.

There are many things to criticize about president Buhari, but clueless-ness isn't one of them. His thought - process are clearly complex, sophisticated and high - level. If in doubt, get hold of any of his off - the cuff remarks, go beyond the distractions of his accent, and you will see a man whose intellect is deep and whose understanding of governance and world politics is admirably advanced.

You are probably wondering where I am going with this. How can someone call Germany "West Germany, mangle its president's name and official title, and I not say he isn't clueless but insist he is, in fact, intellectually deep?

OK, let me start by saying I am not some viscerally one - dimensional, unreflective Buhari apologist who is wedded to what I call the misguided philosophy of Buharist inerrancy, that is, the wrong-headed idea that Buhari is only human who is liable to errors and lapses of judgment. Many of us who criticised him in the future, do so not because we are better but because, as the saying goes, the onlookers, not the participants, see most of the game.

Now, when Buhari called German Chancellor Angela Merkel "President Michelle of West Germany", he was merely suffering from what Americans call "senior moment", which is the momentary lapse in the memory occasioned by old age. . As psychologists know only too well, as we age, the speed with which we retrieve information from our cognitive reservoir slows. Age-related memory lapses, experts tell us can start as early as late 30s and get worse as we get older.

Noble Prize - winning neurologist Eric Kandel and his colleagues published a well - received study in 2003 in the Journal of Science Translational Medicine where they, among other things, reveal that a "memory gene" in us appears to get weaker as our brain ages, causing us to forget easily, mix things up, and be unable to easily recall information stored in our memory bank.

Buhari is not the only president who contends with age - related memory impairment. The late President Ronald Reagan, America's oldest president, who was elected at nearly 70 years in his first term, was famous for his bewildering senior moments. I will give only few examples. President Reagan constantly referred to his own Vice President, George Bush, Sr. (father of George W. Bush), as "Prime Minister Bush" . (Remember Buhari's reference to Vice President Osinbajo as " Osunbade " during a campaign rally in Owerri? )

And, according to Tom Friedman's 2006 book titled You Are Not Alone :1,000 Unforgettable Senior Moments : "President Roland Reagan's senior moments were legendary. He often forgot what foreign country he was in or the name of the dignitaries he was meeting. When he visited Brazil, he referred to it as Bolivia. He greeted Princess Diana as 'Prince David' .

Well, another US President, Richard Nixon, had a senior moment when he went to France in 1974 to attend the funeral of French President Georges Pompidou. Nixon had a lapse of memory and totally forgot why he was in France, so he said : "This is a great day for France! "

There will be many more Age-related lapses from President Buhari. Get used to it. It's no big deal. It's part of normal process of aging, and has no impact or whatsoever on cognitive ability or performance. In spite of his notoriety for embarrassing "senior moments", President Reagan has often been ranked as one of America's greatest Presidents. In fact, a February 2011 Gallup poll placed him as Americas greatest President of all time ahead of Abraham Lincoln.

I am not implying Buhari will be a Nigerian Ronald Reagan, but his age - induced cognitive impairments and slips should not cause us to dismiss him. When he recently said to Nigerians in South Africa " I wish I became Head of State when I was a governor, just a few years as a young man. Now at 72, there is a limit to what I can do", he was referring to the inevitable impairments that age imposes on people. But senior moments don't impair performance if the will to succeed is there, as the example of Ronald Reagan clearly shows.

Although I think it's ignorant to hold Buhari's senior moments as evidence of cluelessness, it's fair game to poke fun at them. That's the nature of democracy. Even Reagan laughed at the humour his senior moments actuated. I hope Buhari and his Legion of zealous, humorless supporters will learn to laugh at his senior moment joke.

[/s]

TRASH, you are more of a DULLARD than him
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by ibietela2(m): 5:08pm On Jul 01, 2015
[s]
midolian:
its because till date u don't listen well. Or mayb u jst dnt gv him that attention that ll make u hear him well. Baba speaks clear english like every other Nigerian
[/s]

Joke of the week

1 Like

Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Krisgift(f): 5:09pm On Jul 01, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

Please, I advise you read and comprehend.

What about Richard Nixon, who went to France to attend the funeral of French President Georges Pompidou, and said "This is a great day for France" ?

I advise that you should not bring up excuses for cluelessness.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by midolian(m): 5:10pm On Jul 01, 2015
ibietela2:
[s][/s]

Joke of the week
did you just learn how to cancel on nairaland?
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by EmekaBlue(m): 5:12pm On Jul 01, 2015
na dullardo nah
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by BuddhaPalm(m): 5:13pm On Jul 01, 2015
Nice try OP.

Goodluck explaining "I'll stabilize the price of oil" grin
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by arixsto2(m): 5:13pm On Jul 01, 2015
your analysis was smooth and the references were convincing. but the fact still remain, in the long run during the next election he might pay dearly for his 'unrelated comment ' if i must called it that. i just solemnly pray he deliver at the end of the day.

the other angle might be the tragic free effect we might experience during his tenure just like the formal first Lady and the oga at the top saga.

God bless Nigeria and her inhabitance.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Captainswag225(m): 5:15pm On Jul 01, 2015
the daura magician is still living in the 70's. The only president in the world who has no knowledge about current affairs.

1 Like

Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 5:15pm On Jul 01, 2015
Krisgift:

I advise that you should not bring up excuses for cluelessness.
I will deny you the opportunity of derailing this thread by not quoting you.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by ibietela2(m): 5:15pm On Jul 01, 2015
midolian:
did you just learn how to cancel on nairaland?

Yes, what are you going to do about it?
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by caprini1: 5:19pm On Jul 01, 2015
Gelengelen:
[size=20] i joined nairaland yesterday. i dont have power to fight in politics section.

just welcome me with likes. just your likes to make me happy for joining this forum.

thank you.

[/size]
OK...you are welcomed,and av given u 1 like.But NL is not for the faint hearted,if u r on HBP drugs,better stay away and don't quote some monikers(you will know them personally soon) or else!...#imeanit grin
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:26pm On Jul 01, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

I know Lie Mohammed as National Interpreter?

Femi Adesina as Asorock Interpreter?

What's your rank in the legion of Interpreters

So for whatever buhari says now, we wait for you guys to interpret for us?...because we lack cognitive ability

Why not write a treatise too on why he failed the meaning of Inec or his deputy's name etc
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by thewarrior72: 5:29pm On Jul 01, 2015
natureblack:
A spade has no other names_ a spade remains a spade.

Let me define the word Senile

Showing a decline or deterioration of physical strength or mental functioning,especially short-term memory and alertness as a result of old age or disease.

At 72,there's a limit to what he can remember. undecided
And to cut all this ur story shot...BABA WEST GERMANY IS A SENILE OLD FOOOL & A RETARDEE cheesy wink angry cool tongue
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Cdstars(m): 5:29pm On Jul 01, 2015
PMB's mistakes are due to senior moments does it mean that PEJ's mistakes are due to junior moments

2 Likes

Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Proffdada: 5:32pm On Jul 01, 2015
stanley10122:
Who n who said baba is clueless?? Report Hia now or... angry
I hope they know the meaning of sleeplessness is not cluelessness
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by crisycent: 5:32pm On Jul 01, 2015
You don talk finish? No be only senior mentality.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by PrinceVictorE(m): 5:36pm On Jul 01, 2015
It makes no point OP
Defending this man with shitty quotes and explanation is a waste.
Bullshit is Bullshit no more no less.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by Azedplus(m): 5:36pm On Jul 01, 2015
That be or not , all I need is performance.....Nigeria can and should be GREAT
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 5:38pm On Jul 01, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

I know Lie Mohammed as National Interpreter?

Femi Adesina as Asorock Interpreter?

What's your rank in the legion of Interpreters

So for whatever buhari says now, we wait for you guys to interpret for us?...because we lack cognitive ability

Why not write a treatise too on why he failed the meaning of Inec or his deputy's name etc

Don't worry eh, soon I will write about that.
Soon, very soon.
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by BushidoBlue(m): 5:43pm On Jul 01, 2015
Emyogalanya:
He'll soon refer to nigeria as nairaland

grin grin grin grin grin
Oh boy you wooked o
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 5:43pm On Jul 01, 2015
PrinceVictorE:
It makes no point OP
Defending this man with shitty quotes and explanation is a waste.
Bullshit is Bullshit no more no less.

You take dogo yaro roots?

crisycent:
You don talk finish? No be only senior mentality.

I thought FG have ban ogogoro.

Abi dem still dey sell am for your area?
Re: Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. by blackboy(m): 5:44pm On Jul 01, 2015
Personally, his aides are not on their toes world leaders do make blunders but it's a lesson to all his aides to teach him, guide him and prepare him for the big stage and speeches or else he will soon be termed like the former first lady. They should ask him if he does not want to listen to him ''Your Excellency Sir, do you want to be like PEG, all her blunders was because she became overconfident and didn't follow script or talk and be accurate and polished saying what is right and respectable?''
Being president is not a one man's game that is why he is entitled to aides. Use them Mr. President or replace them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fayose Buys Fuel From Black Market Sellers Because Of Ekiti Fuel Scarcity (Photo / Peter Obi Supporters Attack Reuben Abati On Twitter. / Yemi Osinbajo's New Official Portrait

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.