Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

Tracking Position Via The Internet - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tracking Position Via The Internet (6672 Views)

How To Build Geo-tracking Apps With AngularJS, Ionic & The Salesforce REST API / How To Create A Shipping Tracking On Website.? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tracking Position Via The Internet by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:43pm On Sep 21, 2006
this evening i got into an arguement with my brother, the bone of contention was "is it possible to track down people's exact location", we both knew it was possible to get surface info like country via IP but exact position is what we were discussing. i knew it was possible via Gps but is it possible via the internet
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by ebitee(m): 8:05am On Sep 23, 2006
it depends on your medium of connection.if you are connecting wirelessly, it can be very difficult. however if you are using a dialup or broadband connection then obviously your IP and location is easily trackable.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:47am On Sep 23, 2006
thanks, i know its possible via IP, but i want more than just locating country i want something like street, so that i can prove doubting thomas(my bro) wrong
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by sbucareer(f): 12:26pm On Sep 23, 2006

It is very possible to locate you down to the street or even your house. This could be arguable in Nigeria that do not have a complete road, street record system.

Thus, in the developed world like the USA, China, UK, France etc, it could be very possible to locate internet user down to their house, it does not matter if you are using wireless and dynamic point of access.

Furthermore, using GPRS General Packet Radio Service. A GSM data transmission technique that does not set up a continuous channel from a portable terminal for the transmission and reception of data, but transmits and receives data in packets. It makes very efficient use of available radio spectrum[url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+GPRS] 1[/url]

GPRS is a radio service stations, it is position in every state or range within the radio spectrum. It records when you enter the station or range and also record when you leave the station.

It uses this information to route calls and roaming. The station also uses GPS Global Positioning System: A worldwide radio-navigation system that was developed by the US. Department of Defense. In addition to military purposes it is widely used in marine, terrestrial navigation and location based services.[url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+GPS] 2[/url] to triangulate your exert position like it does with the satellite navigator use to locate your exert position on the street.

These technologies are not classified but could be difficult to get hold of if you do not hold appropriate clearance. Would you imagine if terrorist get hold of this piece of technology?

Even though [url=http://Neo Lite]Neo Lite[/url] could locate you exert location, street just using your IP. Wireless technologies must have regulations before the government would allow them to operate. One of the regulation is issues like this.

Finally, if you don't believe, then try and hack pentageon and see if FBI would not come to your house an arrest you in-front of your PC
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:38pm On Sep 23, 2006
thnx, but cars now have GPS in them, and for me to track someone via IP would i be needing any special hardware as it would sure be fun telling my brother our exact location. but since there are no comprehensive maps for lagos street at least the state or bearings would do. thanx
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by kheme(m): 1:30pm On Sep 23, 2006
i think you guys watch TOOOOO much TV!!! why not THINK, when answering this question

it is possible to do so, but not like reading a map! lets analys this step by step,

1. every computer connected to the internet has an IP address (we all know that, or at least, should know that)
2. NO location is attached to ANY IP address, excpet country regions, which you have to know by ASKING (an ISP perhaps). when you connect to the internet via an ISP, they will have, or could have your contact info, and it is with that that anyone can get your location.

but assuming you never gave them your contact info (just assume with me), then there is ABOSULTELY NO WAY they can get your exact loation!

So, if you need someones location, try this,

get the IP, try to find what country and what ISP registered that IP, then ask for contact info. else, there's just no MAGIC or SOFTWARE or even HARDWARE for doing so!
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by sbucareer(f): 2:22pm On Sep 23, 2006

@Kheme

Could you explain to us how IP address is broken down? For example 168.192.234.23

What does:

168 means?
192 means?
234 means?
23 means?

When you do your research come back and tell us. Remember that your telephone number i.e. +447956231211 is an IP address. Remember that your mobile phone number is an IP address, remember that your domain name is an IP address.

These technologies uses different software to translate or map number/domain name to IP address i.e. DNS (Domain Name Resolution) Computer only understands binary and some super computer uses hex for computation.

Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by ebitee(m): 3:08am On Sep 24, 2006
If your device (e.g car, laptop, boat, truck, desktop, cellphone) has a gps chip in it, tracking you is a piece of cake. if its doesn't then they have to use computing forensics to locate you. by simply pinging your IP, network statistics( nodes, routers, gateways, ISP info) will all come up.sooner or later your device will be located.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alabiyemmy(m): 2:41am On Dec 16, 2006
Sir/Ma,

We are happy to bring to your notice once again that something new has just come out of
the stable of your favourite organisation - Third Dimension Technologies. We earlier on
brought to you nationwide driving directions, address search, find my nearest, point of
interest search etc on our website www.ceaser-web.com.

The accolade has been resounding, with over 3,000 worldwide viewers on our website
monthly, we cant stop giving out more to the satisfaction of our users who day in day out
send us messages of goodwill commending our effort at supporting nation building.

We are here again, this time with our range of GPS based maps and software. We build and
maintain the most comprehensive, accurate and updated GPS maps of NIGERIA, on any GPS
platform. We build routable and non - routable maps for the entire country, we also build
routable maps for various cities nationwide, these maps can be uploaded to your GPS
device as easily as you want it. Why not talk to us?

Our map features includes:

POI layers

All major landmarks have been mapped and shown on our maps, example, bus stops, schools,
banks, shopping plaza, gas stations etc

Routing

Ability to route from one point to the other.

Searching

Superb search capabilities and many more.

What do you have to do to reap from this innovative venture? We are happy to discuss with
you or your organisation on how we can load this maps into your existing GPS devices or
rather still, buy from us, bundled with the maps you desire.

A trial will convinve you, we are sure you were convinced with the internet based
applications, the use and feedback has been overwhelming. Try us once again and you will
never be disspointed.

For enquiries, please email: alabiyemmy@3dtechnologies.org or alabiyemmy@ceaser-web.com
or call 01-8975616.

Please forward to as many as you know require our services.

Regards,

Alabi Yemmy.
MD/CEO
3DT
LAGOS, LONDON, NEW YORK.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alabiyemmy(m): 2:43am On Dec 16, 2006
you can be tracked over the internet - nowadays - people track their car locations easily via the internet, same way if you carry a GPS powered device, your position can be monitored easily - this is done in Nigeria already - visit www.ceaser-web.com

Yemmy.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alabiyemmy(m): 2:47am On Dec 16, 2006
there are street maps. who thinks there are no street maps in Nigeria? We have a website where you can do address search, nationwide driving directions, find my nearest, point of interest search etc, our driving directions can trace or give your route from remote villages to cities nationwide, try it out at: - http://www.ceaser-web.com/cm/maps/multipointroutedb_asp/default.asp

Thanks.

Yemmy.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by boraddo(m): 1:17pm On Dec 16, 2006
somehow, i think its possible to knw where u'r browsing from, but im just not sure of its accuracy because i configured google analytics on one of my sites, and i was getting geo locations like, abule ijesha, oshodi, mushin, lekki, ikeja , e.t.c ,
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:55pm On Dec 16, 2006
thats good in due time google earth would be able to show my street
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alabiyemmy(m): 4:08pm On Dec 16, 2006
@ adewaleafolabi

You dont have to wait for GOOGLE to show your street. Check online on our website @ www.ceaser-web.com.

Yemmy.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alexis(m): 12:57pm On Dec 18, 2006
it's possible but will involve alot of time. You will need pretty good computer forensic team because the internet is all about IP.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alabiyemmy(m): 1:05pm On Dec 18, 2006
@ Alexis

What does that mean? Good computer forensic team? hunnn, you can track the location of your vehicle over the internet, why cant you track the location of a person or why will it be difficult?

It is easy and as simple as abc to do so,
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alexis(m): 1:44pm On Dec 18, 2006
let me explain it to you. On the Internet, you identify people with their public IP addresses. These IP addresses are assigned by the regional LIR i.e RIPE, AFRINIC etc. ISPs buy blocks of IP addresses from these upstream providers.

Now, when you signed up with an ISP, they have some info on you notably your IP address whether you use broadband, dialup pr any other form of Internet connection. That is why when someone send you spam message, you can verify who owns the IP the spam is originating from and report them. This is also the reason that most networks in the US and Europe block scam (419) traffic originating from Nigeria, they can do this because they know who owns the IP blocks.

To the difficult part - it will be difficult if the ISP can't track what their client are doing and especially if they can't provide an audit trail of who did what. Now, to the issue of identifying the user down to his or her house in Nigeria, it will be difficult because we don't have a security policy that all ISPs adhere to like the way they do in China, US and other Europe countries. If we did, beleive you me, we can track who did what.

Since the internet is not controlled by any one organization and also because of the technology it is running on, who can cover your tracks pretty well if you know what you are doing. A simple example is

1. I want to scan a popular bank E-banking website but i want to cover my track i.e I don't want them to easily figure out where i was connecting from , so what do i do - I can connect to multiple proxies servers in various countries, then finally connecting to the banks site. The bank will see the proxies IPs but not mine. This is a trivial example.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alabiyemmy(m): 2:07pm On Dec 18, 2006
@ ALEXIS

We are talking about two different things? Tracking people via the internet means knowing where somebody is via an interface on the internet - this is what I am talking about. Simple, carry a GPS device on you, relay the GPS position to a control centre via a modem and then you can view this location on the internet via Google maps or ARCIMS operated maps or any maps whatsoever. This is already in operation in Nigeria, the oil companies use it to know where their employees are per time.

ok?
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alexis(m): 3:39pm On Dec 18, 2006
I thought the thread was about tracking Position via the Internet? GPS is not an Internet technology, it's totally different. Both work together though.

1 Like

Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by udohzone(m): 2:11pm On Feb 23, 2007
I am wondering how this Track_Business is Possible? Especially with IP(s), I feel it would be a chase for the Wrong Person. Imagine a cafe, wit a single Public IP address (the one issue by an ISP) with a Linksys or Belkin Router providing NAT abilities to Private IP's over the Internet, How do u track private IP's dat ain Routable,

Except there's something new about IP Addressing I dont know about, I think it would be a Big Escapade!!
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by sbucareer(f): 7:37pm On Feb 23, 2007

Your question is a good one and would require some constructive argument. A frivolous and perhaps a naive mind would say there is no solution to it.

Although, this might tend to be conclusive but from a comparative position, I would say that Africa and other developing world could pose a serious security issues to the West if one wishes to go through that way. Saying that, the public IP is alway traceable to the ISP and the subnet mask, hence the Cafe.

Nowever, the NAT issues would only pose a problem to the cafe that do not use CCTV (Closed Circuit TeleVision). Remember your router, all it does route information with headers such as MAC address that must be unique on the internet, IP address which must be unique on the internet and session time.

When you send a packet to the internet your ISP keeps an inventory of your MAC and IP by the help of big router like Cisco routers. It is so in the event that your packet got lost, the last hop or router that routed the packet can resend without contacting the original host to retransmit.

Therefore, it might no be all that safe to hide behind a NAT. You may say it is an internet cafe, what if they have CCTV?
Or while on the PC you may haveĀ  logged into a personal site like ebay, bank, or any ecommerce that have your real name while committing offense, the offensive packet will log time and so does your ecommerce.

An investigator would pull out 30 minutes logs originating from the same MAC and IP and nail you.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by larryoncol(m): 4:07pm On Mar 26, 2007
subcarrer i totally understnd what you are trying to say, but you must be aware that in a country like Nigeria or system have not been fully integrated, yeah for example now you where able to the person name thru the site he logged into, and if the so called person isn't in the cafe his name can be runed thru a central database that can provide more info on whom this person is, like his name, address e,t.c but in a place like nigeria even if i used my real name and you found that out thru the site that i logged in, you wouldn't still be able to round me up becasue you have no idea on how you can locate me right, more or less we have no database so how do you know who i am,

i hope you get my point, thses things work in developed countries,

by the way i would like to talk to you, personally so i was kinda wondering if i could have your email addy.

thanks

p.s

larry
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by abdkabir(m): 12:06am On Mar 28, 2007
@topic
It is relatively possible as some ppl have mentioned. Here is a site that can give u the location of an IP address: www.ip2location.com

U know i wonder how EFCC can't catch the yahoo boys using software or do they?, since their Ip could be trackable. I guess i know d answer, they r just too many? grin
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by larryoncol(m): 3:47pm On Mar 29, 2007
no it's not that the yahoo boys can't be traced the fact is that we don't just have the resources ok,

and am sure you must have heard of NAT, yeah thats the reason we haven't ran out of IPv4 addresses, which makes it even harder to locate the machine, but the fact is that we don't have the resources for such things, but we have the money to implement them.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alexis(m): 11:29pm On Apr 07, 2007
I like this topic.

I strongly believe you can track anyone, it may be hard but you can. It will be easy in places that have laws and policies like in the US, UK, Japan etc. It will be hard in places like Nigeria because there are security policies in place. If the government passed a law to all ISPs in the country demanding to give the name of their client when they notice a crime - then we can easily track a lot of things.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by KUNLEx: 10:06am On Apr 09, 2007
Of course you cant track someone via their computer, unless you work for the CIA or CTU (ala 24)
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alexis(m): 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2007
KUNLEx,

How do you mean you can't track someone via their computer? Please explain.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by sbucareer(f): 1:27am On Apr 12, 2007

Yes, please explain? Let me give you a hint, you can track someone by just their visted links. Like the way phone company can track you down by the people you haved called. Remember computer network is one big telephone network the only difference is, one is a voice network the other is a data network, both using switches to route their data.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by alexis(m): 1:47am On Apr 12, 2007
that is why I want him to explain
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by geebengs(m): 10:54pm On Apr 24, 2007
The ease of tracking an object located anywhere from anyplace depends not only on the availabilty of the necessary technology but on the proper adaptation and and organisation in the use of the technology. The only way i think someone can can be tracked on the internet is through the IP address. And the IP address can be traced to the ISP which has the address through which the the host and the network on which the host is located can be gotten. It would be easier if the ISP Keeps a detailed database of all its client.
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by dasa: 11:15am On Apr 30, 2007
while we are in the topic of tracking. does anyone need a digital map of nigeria?

details on the map include:

all national highways (interstate roads)
inland waterways
all major cities and towns (1000+)
national and state boundary etc

the map is accurately geo-referenced so that you can input coordinates (lat and long) and it will display the accurate position.

accuracy is very high.

limitations.
no inner city roads. only national level.

possible uses.

vehicle/asset tracking (gps based)
instant measurement of distance from one point to another
etc.

the map is in .map format.

i will give mapping software to run the map.

interested? send email to info@nigertrak.com
Re: Tracking Position Via The Internet by abdulg: 11:05am On May 17, 2007
Hi Guys,[color=#990000][/color]

[center]Am very impresed as u make ur arguement, in Nigeria we can track all yahoo's boy ;but due to curuption in Nigeria. must of the Police alert the yahoo boys so they leave the point b4 the police officers reach there.
That is Nigeria 4 u. shocked
[/center]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Data Scientists In The House? / Udemy Coupons: FREE--BE FAST BEFORE IT EXPIRES / Nairaland Programmers That Share Language And City In Common

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.