Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. (10624 Views)

A Critical Analysis Of 2016 Budget / Ranking Of States By Poverty Rates In Nigeria / Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 02, 2015
I came across the below thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/2418994/ranking-nigerian-states-poverty-rates

And was amused by how quick people are to rejoice over what is presented to them, without thinking clearly about the stipulations.

The D***ck measuring contest between the SW and SE was even more amusing, when the truth is that....

SE and SW viritually have the same poverty rate!!!!!!

Let's go over the rates for each state, zooming into the SW and SE specifically. I have excluded border states of Kwara, Kogi and Delta (which are designated as North central and South South, and honestly do not deviate much from what we see in the list). I also excluded Lagos, which is a multicultural bed of different groups and not representative of the strength of each region.

Okay then:

SW
2. Osun 10.90%
4. Ekiti 12.90%
12. Ogun 26.10%
14. Ondo 27.90%
17. Oyo 29.40%

SE

3. Anambra 11.20%
6. Imo 19.80%
7. Abia 21.00%
15. Enugu 28.80%
21. Ebonyi 56.00%

My thoughts....

Osun is only marginally less poor than Anambra (11.2-10.9=.03% difference).

Other SE states and SW states occupy the top lists in equal succession. Look again folks!

The only exception to this is Ebonyi which has a poverty rate comparable to the North. Abysmal, but still....

If you take the simple average of all the states' poverty rate for each region but disregard their populations (which looks like what the OP did in his original thread) you would think that the SW is the least poor. This is just because of the drag that we see in Ebonyi.

HOWEVER.

A weighed average of all the states (taking into account their populations) is a better representative of the poverty rate for each region going by this list. Ebonyi is the least populated state in the SE. Discount Lagos which is a multicultural city and you will see that the SW and SE actually may have similar poverty rates.

I recalculated the poverty rate taking account the populations of all the states. I am basing this on the 2006 census as we don't have any other indicators to go by. If there are more recent numbers I am still certain that calculating the results would yield around the same conclusions.

The real calculations:

SW Population Poverty Rate Population in Poverty
2. Osun 3,423,535.00 10.90% 373,165.32
4. Ekiti 2,384,212.00 12.90% 307,563.35
12. Ogun 3,728,098.00 26.10% 973,033.58
14. Ondo 3,441,024.00 27.90% 960,045.70
17. Oyo 5,591,589.00 29.40% 1,643,927.17
Total 18,568,458.00 4,257,735.10
Poverty rate of SW (4,257,735/18,568,458) 23%

SE Population Poverty Rate Population in Poverty
3. Anambra 4,182,032.00 11.20% 468,387.58
6. Imo 3,934,899.00 19.80% 779,110.00
7. Abia 2,833,999.00 21.00% 595,139.79
15. Enugu 3,257,298.00 28.80% 938,101.82
21. Ebonyi 2,173,501.00 56.00% 1,217,160.56
16,381,729.00 3,997,899.76
Poverty rate of SE (3,997,900/16,381,729) 24%

Now....can these two regions finally shut da feck up and worry about the myriad of problems facing the entire country??

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 12:57am On Jul 02, 2015
who r u@OP

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 12:57am On Jul 02, 2015
CC: scholes0, Pazienza

These were the two characters butting heads over there.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 12:58am On Jul 02, 2015
Hello chowlade!
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 02, 2015
chowlade:
who r u@OP

I am me, myself, and I.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by dionysus7: 1:01am On Jul 02, 2015
yea ofcuz the real calculation because lagos is in Northeast

9 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 1:04am On Jul 02, 2015
dionysus7:
yea ofcuz the real calculation because lagos is in Northeast

Are you blind or deliberately ignoring my stated reason for excluding Lagos?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by ramdris(m): 3:24am On Jul 02, 2015
If and only the south west and south east can channel their rivalry into something productive, it would have been a welcome development. Both zones are really doing well to be frank. I just so wish this tribal thrash can stop.

13 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by mistabiola: 3:25am On Jul 02, 2015
cheesy
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Bollove: 3:47am On Jul 02, 2015
Both region won't shut up because Abok.is in the north is enjoying the rift between both of them.
if only they new what alliance between both of them meant for NIGERIA instead of empty chest beating.

4 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by baby124: 4:45am On Jul 02, 2015
Lagos is not SW because of the geographic blah blah nonsense. What are you saying? If it was not a flourishing state in the SW, will people want to live there. When you are creating or measuring anything LAgos is SW, don't delude yourself. Who owns and runs the economy? Your argument makes absolutely no sense, and this thread is extremely stu*pid

26 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by bababuff(m): 4:45am On Jul 02, 2015
Introducing in the red corner, SE bashers and in the blue corner SW bouncers.

Oya, FIGHT

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 02, 2015
baby124:
Lagos is not SW because of the geographic blah blah nonsense. What are you saying? If it was not a flourishing state in the SW, will people want to live there. When you are creating or measuring anything LAgos is SW, don't delude yourself. Who owns and runs the economy? Your argument makes absolutely no sense, and this thread is extremely stu*pid

Did I say Lagos is not SW?

What is wrong with the Nigerian education system these days?

7 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 5:08am On Jul 02, 2015
Op you are correct on your analysis. The inclusion of Lagos in south west statistics always distorts the facts about south west . We all know fully well that Lagos has everybody from all parts of Nigeria and its successes and its failures doesn't represent the living conditions of average southwest natives.

The same problem will happen to Abuja and north central as its population and wealth continues to grow. It will begin to distort the statistics of the north central.

3 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by ibedun: 5:35am On Jul 02, 2015
Time to have the same distortion in the S/east. Abi?
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by scholes0(m): 5:36am On Jul 02, 2015
Wait a minute, last time I checked, there were 6 states in the South West, not 5.
I find it hard to decipher, if your analysis is a geopolitical one or a Ethnic/Tribal one.
What I see you analyzing up there is Yoruba vs Igbo, not SE vs SW

Who says Yorubas have to be the only people in the South-West? Yorubas are not the only people in the South-West (but they are still the majority there), Lagos is obviously South-Western.... Moreover, by excluding Lagos from the South-West, you are dismissing the entire wealth of all the Yorubas who live there shocked .... under your cunning guise of "cosmopolitaness"

23 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 5:52am On Jul 02, 2015
scholes0:
Wait a minute, last time I checked, there were 6 states in the South West, not 5.
I find it hard to decipher, if your analysis is a geopolitical one or a Ethnic/Tribal one.
What I see you analyzing up there is Yoruba vs Igbo, not SE vs SW

Who says Yorubas have to be the only people in the South-West? Yorubas are not the only people in the South-West (but they are still the majority there), Lagos is obviously South-Western.... Moreover, by excluding Lagos from the South-West, you are dismissing the entire wealth of all the yorubas who live there shocked ....

Yes, I will admit that my thread was created to address the tribal sh*tstorm prevalent in your other thread.

The SW has 6 states. Yes, I agree but you and I know that Lagos occupies a very peculiar position as a state with a HIGHLY diverse population (despite it being located in the SW region). As the former capital territory of the country for close to 100 years and home to significant migrant populations, one can't really discount the impact that it may have on any tribally motivated analysis of wealth and poverty across regions.

Including this in the SW numbers per this thread dismisses the significant number of Igbos who live there too.

The other "core" states that I included have a minority of non-Igbo (for SE) and non-Yoruba (for SW) there but that is besides the point. We know that there is a clear majority as far as ethnic composition in those states.

With that being said, I think that both sides of the coin can now see that that they are more similar than they think.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 6:04am On Jul 02, 2015
I for one do not like how tribalist quarrel here. Either Igbo or Yoruba what you brag about should add value to our general good and not all this your e-wars.
HOW CAN WE IMPROVE OUR COUNTRY. Despite our tribalism we are still being rough-handled by our leaders in the tribes.
God may my tribal sentiment never blind me to the fact that there are better people everywhere. Am an Igbo, who have lived some part of my life in Lagos ,zamfara,and Nto-edino Akwaibom .life is what you make it and not what your tribal sentiment make it.
Enough is Enough.

3 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by scholes0(m): 6:04am On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Yes, I will admit that my thread was created to address the tribal sh*tstorm prevalent in your other thread.

The SW has 6 states. Yes, I agree but you and I know that Lagos occupies a very peculiar position as a state with a HIGHLY diverse population (despite it being located in the SW region). As the former capital territory of the country for close to 100 years and home to significant migrant populations, one can't really discount the impact that it may have on any tribally motivated analysis of wealth and poverty across regions.

Okay, since you have explained that you are analyzing the info, from an ethnic perspective. I will accept the Lagos exclusion, since there is no actual ethnic breakdown of the state's populace.....
On a different note, Oyo and Ebonyi are huge messes that need to be fixed up.

2 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 6:06am On Jul 02, 2015
scholes0:

Okay, since you have explained that you are analyzing the info, from an ethnic perspective. I will accept the Lagos exclusion, since there is not actual ethnic breakdown of the state's populace.....
On a different not, Oyo and Ebonyi are huge messes that need to be fixed up.

Ebonyi's case, I must admit, especially needs improvement.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by timilehing(m): 6:06am On Jul 02, 2015
This Op is one Deluded tribal bigot.

On a more serious note, you need to travel round both SW & SE States to know the poverty level in their communities. I've had the opportunity of living in both geo-political zones & also in North-central. If I'm to be a bigot like you, I'll just give you the following situations to examine:

1. Why do SE leave their village for better town & cities in SW?
2. If poverty level is equal in both region, money flow will be the same, why don't SE people remain in their region & develop their business there?
3. Why are they coming to SW to make money to build mansion in their village?
4. At least, one in every immediate family member of any SE will be in SW making money, but you barely see one in ten families of SW making money in SE.

Go anywhere to prove me wrong nna, Southwest have more money flow/circulation than Southeast.

jcross19:
this one is coming from ondo man. See what you posted that really show that you educated illiterate, even even american leave their motherland for vietnam to reside , you are here spewing dust. All those cloths, shoes , bags and many things you have inside your room were bought from south east so wake up and travel. Journey is a part of education. What you posted really show that you sit and stay in one place.
Are you trying to tell me that the fact Nigerians travelling to reside/work in every nook & cranny of the world is not an indication of poverty existing here in Nigeria as a whole?
Why don't we have Britishs & Americans craving for Nigeria visa the way we're applying for theirs?

BTW, would any sane American leave his peaceful land & reside in Vietnam of all places? You don't have any point

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 6:08am On Jul 02, 2015
I am a bigot for showing that the SW and SE have more in common than not? Hmmm!

timilehing:

On a more serious note, you need to travel round both SW & SE States to know the poverty level in their communities. I've had the opportunity of living in both geo-political zones & also in North-central. If I'm to be a bigot like you, I'll just give you the following situations to examine:

2. If poverty level is equal in both region, money flow will be the same, why don't SE people remain in their region & develop their business there?
4. At least, one in every immediate family member of any SE will be in SW making money, but you barely see one in ten families of SW making money in SE.

Go anywhere to prove me wrong nna, Southwest have more money flow/circulation than Southeast.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by scholes0(m): 6:09am On Jul 02, 2015
@timilehing, Igbos travel everywhere.
even in poverty stricken Zamfara, they are there ...... I think it has more to do with their outlook towards life, than any other thing.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by meccuno: 6:12am On Jul 02, 2015
scholes0:

Okay, since you have explained that you are analyzing the info, from an ethnic perspective. I will accept the Lagos exclusion, since there is no actual ethnic breakdown of the state's populace.....
On a different note, Oyo and Ebonyi are huge messes that need to be fixed up.
some times I wonder if there are actually humans there in ebonyi state....
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Super1Star: 6:13am On Jul 02, 2015
Your analysis is dead on arrival, based on exclusion of Lagos from SW.

You could have substituted it with Kwara.

3 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by scholes0(m): 6:15am On Jul 02, 2015
meccuno:
some times I wonder if there are actually humans there in ebonyi state....

Why is it so poor though?
Is it because it was formerly just a backwater province of Enugu state, that received to attention whatsoever?
It is the only Southern state below national average.
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 6:20am On Jul 02, 2015
Super1Star:
Your analysis is dead on arrival, based on exclusion of Lagos from SW.

You could have substituted it with Kwara.

Including Kwara in the list wouldn't change the results much. Its poverty rate is 23.7% and the total poverty rate for the SW is 23%.

1 Like

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by timilehing(m): 6:21am On Jul 02, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
I am a bigot for showing that the SW and SE have more in common than not? Hmmm!

Respond perfectly to the reasons I gave above and prove me wrong

3 Likes

Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by Nobody: 6:22am On Jul 02, 2015
scholes0:

Why is it so poor though?
Is it because it was formerly just a backwater province of Enugu state, that received to attention whatsoever?
It is the only Southern state below national average.

I honestly have no idea. sad
Re: Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. by jcross19: 6:23am On Jul 02, 2015
timilehing:

this one is coming from ondo man. See what you posted that really show that you educated illiterate, even even american leave their motherland for vietnam to reside , you are here spewing dust. All those cloths, shoes , bags and many things you have inside your room were bought from south east so wake up and travel. Journey is a part of education. What you posted really show that you sit and stay in one place.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Hosts Beneficiaries Of Presidential Amnesty Programs, Showcase Bus Assembled / Aregbesola Orders Prison Officers To Shoot Attackers On Sight / Adulteration Responsible For Fuel Scarcity – Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.