Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) (39753 Views)

Hired Killer Caught While Trying To Strangle Woman To Death In Lagos (Photos) / 4 Robbers Arrested While Attempting To Strangle Victim Over N60k (pic) / Rapists Strangle UTME Candidate In Ogun, Dump Corpse Inside Bush (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by lolaxavier(m): 5:31am On Jul 02, 2015
Operatives of the Anti-Robbery Squad of the State Department of Criminal Investigation, Yaba, Lagos State, have arrested a five-man gang for allegedly strangling a cab driver, Sonye Chukwudi, aka Zack Friday.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the robbers ─ Anthony Toms (20), Godwin Francis (25), Michael Inyang (21), Evidence David (22), Etuk Tony (23) ─ tricked the 32-year-old to the Ransome Kuti Gardens, Anthony Village, thinking he had a lot of money.

They were said to have bound him hands and feet before strangling him, only to discover he had only his phone and N4,750 on him.

Our correspondent was told that the suspects hid the corpse in the gardens.

They were about escaping in the victim’s white Mercedes Benz E320 saloon car, when a team of policemen, acting on a tip-off, apprehended them.

The incident happened on Sunday around 9pm.

A police source said the suspects thought Chukwudi was rich because of his car which he usually parked around the Ikeja GRA for hire service.

He said, “They were four that planned the crime. Toms was their informant. He told them the man was rich.

“He told Chukwudi that he had a job for him. He said the man would carry some flowers for a customer from Anthony Village to Obanikoro.”

It was learnt that Toms, who hails from Cross River State, also arranged with another friend to drive the victim’s car after it had been stolen.

A police source said the man, who was to drive Chukwudi’s car, alerted the police to the operation.

The policemen reportedly trailed him to the scene.

PUNCH Metro gathered that around 9pm, the victim drove into the gardens and parked his car facing the Gbagada Expressway.

It was gathered that Toms began to load some bouquet of flowers into the booth of the car.

A source said, “Toms called the victim to assist him. As he stepped out of the car, other members came out of their hiding place and hit him in the head with a plank.

“They bound his legs and hands and used his clothes to cover his mouth. They then strangled him.”

Our correspondent was told that the suspects ransacked the deceased’s pocket and found his phone and N4,750.

“Soon after, they called their hired driver to pick them because none of them could drive.

“As soon as the driver got to the place, the police surrounded the suspects,” the source said.

Our correspondent was told that the police were forced to open fire on two of the gang members who attempted to escape.

They sustained gunshot injuries in the legs.

The police were said to have found the victim’s corpse hidden in the gardens and covered with flowers.

Our correspondent was told that Chukwudi lived alone in the Egbeda area of Lagos, while his wife and four children lived in their hometown in Imo State.

It was learnt that none of the suspects had their relatives in Lagos as they came from Cross River, Rivers, Bayelsa and Anambra states.

The prime suspect, Toms, however told our correspondent he never meant to kill the victim.

He said, “I am a gardener. I work in that garden at Anthony. I met the man about two years ago.

“That day, I just wanted to collect the money and steal his car, which we estimated at about N2m. He struggled with us and died in the process.”

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Kenneth Nwosu, said he would call back.

But he had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

But a police source said the men were arraigned on Wednesday before an Ebute Meta Chief Magistrate’s Court.

They were said to have been remanded pending legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.

http://www.punchng.com/metro-plus/robbers-strangle-driver-in-lagos-gardens/

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by HungerBAD: 5:32am On Jul 02, 2015
All in their 20's, all uneducated,all came from outside Lagos,all believed in their illiterate minds that a cab driver is rich. I give up on our Youths, who raised these Demons?

130 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by sultan457: 5:33am On Jul 02, 2015
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by dominique(f): 5:45am On Jul 02, 2015
How can five young men attack a middle aged man and expect him to survive it? Such heartless beings, they must not go unpunished.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by lolaxavier(m): 5:47am On Jul 02, 2015
My judgement...an eye for two eyes...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Osyxcel(m): 5:50am On Jul 02, 2015
Wicked Souls angry

My judgement: Engage them in hard paid labour, and after deduction feeding expenses from their wages, the remnant should be sent to the family of the deceased. They should do this continuously for 20 years...

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by amnesty7: 5:53am On Jul 02, 2015
Hasty climbers soon fall. The guys were in such a hurry to be rich at this young age. But see where they have landed now.

6 Likes

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Icon4s(m): 5:56am On Jul 02, 2015
The "No Time" generation at it again.
Teenagers and boys in their 20s with their get rich quick syndrome these days.

because dey see young boys like Davido, Olamide, Wizkid and Korede Bello making it they see no reason y dey shouldn't hammer.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by nerodenero: 6:25am On Jul 02, 2015
Our correspondent was told that Chukwudi lived alone in the Egbeda area of Lagos, while his wife and four children lived in their hometown in Imo State
I pity his wife and the children they have made fatherless. They should face the full wrath of the law but unfortunately, that won't stop many from engaging in such acts.

6 Likes

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by lolaxavier(m): 6:26am On Jul 02, 2015
Osyxcel:
Wicked Souls >sad

My judgement: Engage them in hard paid labour, and after deduction feeding expenses from their wages, the remnant should be sent to the family of the deceased. They should do this continuously for 20 years...

Your judgement is too mild...how about throwing them in a cage full of lions?

6 Likes

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by lolaxavier(m): 6:40am On Jul 02, 2015
How can you just decide to kill someone all because you want to steal from him...they should be killed too.

1 Like

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 02, 2015
Oh God of mercy! They killed an innocent man just like that. What is wrong with some people's conscience

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Truckpusher(m): 7:01am On Jul 02, 2015
You don't waste tax payers money on beasts like these guys - Quick judgement and the next thing is firing squad even as I still maintain that capital punishment is an institutionalized revenge.

5 Likes

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by dre11(m): 7:06am On Jul 02, 2015
A police source said the man, who was to drive Chukwudi’s car, alerted the police to the operation.

The policemen reportedly trailed him to the scene.

Police did had first hand and reliable information about this act. Why did they had to wait for the guy to die before the act on the informat information

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by lolaxavier(m): 7:34am On Jul 02, 2015
Truckpusher:
You don't waste tax payers money on beasts like these guys - Quick judgement and the next thing is firing squad even as I still maintain that capital punishment is an institutionalized revenge.

Clearly agree!

1 Like

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by okangisaiah(f): 7:40am On Jul 02, 2015
Oh my G
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by lolaxavier(m): 8:07am On Jul 02, 2015
God of blood
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Osyxcel(m): 8:22am On Jul 02, 2015
lolaxavier:

Your judgement is too mild...how about throwing them in a cage full of lions?

It's you who think it's mild... It's not.

If they work, they generate income for the family of d deceased.... It's of no use killing them...

If you put them in Prison, we are wasting our resources on them... Naija is broke.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by lolaxavier(m): 8:40am On Jul 02, 2015
Osyxcel:

It's you who think it's mild... It's not.

If they work, they generate income for the family of d deceased.... It's of no use killing them...

If you put them in Prison, we are wasting our resources on them... Naija is broke.

And you think that would work in a country like this where those receiving the proceeds of labour from the criminals will not direct the funds to the family of the deceased.

4 Likes

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Osyxcel(m): 9:58am On Jul 02, 2015
lolaxavier:

And you think that would work in a country like this where those receiving the proceeds of labour from the criminals will not direct the funds to the family of the deceased.

That's the problem...
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by ijustdey: 2:31pm On Jul 02, 2015
lalasticlala FP

just because you want to steal from someone you have to snuff life out of him....
a wicked generation
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by jnrbayano(m): 2:34pm On Jul 02, 2015
They pay what they reap...

Sorry, they reap what they sow.
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by omojesu202(m): 2:35pm On Jul 02, 2015
RIP
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by VIPERVENOM(m): 2:36pm On Jul 02, 2015
It was learnt that none of the suspects had their relatives in Lagos as they came from Cross River, Rivers, Bayelsa and Anambra states.

10 Likes

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Holyfield1(m): 2:36pm On Jul 02, 2015
k
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Lilimax(f): 2:37pm On Jul 02, 2015
sultan457:
He said, “I am a gardener. I work in that garden at Anthony. I met the man about two years ago.

“That day, I just wanted to collect the money and steal his car, which we estimated at about N2m. He struggled with us and died in the process.”

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 02, 2015
Who knows if it's the same thing that happened to the lady with the Irish passport not long ago? Nigeria is the most dangerous country on the planet! I am not visiting there again until the country gets organized and the people live a civilized life. Ptui! angry angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by ADEWEBS(m): 2:37pm On Jul 02, 2015
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by yuzjet(m): 2:38pm On Jul 02, 2015
Chai!
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Bibidear(f): 2:38pm On Jul 02, 2015
They shud av lynched them immediately.wicked pple

1 Like

Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by tobtap: 2:38pm On Jul 02, 2015
SAD
Re: Robbers Strangle Driver In Lagos Gardens (Picture) by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 02, 2015
thats bad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Robber Set Ablaze In Attempt To Rape Housewife / Bus Driver Defies Police And Lastma Attempts To Arrest Him In Marina Lagos / Man Dumps Fiancee After Introduction In Edo & Duping Her Of 4.2M Marries Another

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.