Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons (4578 Views)

My President Is Been Humble And Liberal, A Rare And True Leaders Last Advise / It Is Better To Support A Liberal Man Thsn Buhari / Yabatech's School Of Liberal Studies Is On Fire (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 6:32pm On Mar 03, 2009
@Tpia,
 you're not answering the poster's questio by saying delta is the most Liberal and detribalized.
Just accept that u were wrong.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by tpia: 6:33pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 6:33pm On Mar 03, 2009
Hotstepper:

@bawomolo, datz a good questions cuz about 3 or so towns in Delta speaks Igbo, lol

3 ke? more than that

Asaba(capital), Agbor, Kwale, Ogwashuwu, issele-ukwu, Ibuza, just to name a few.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by tpia: 6:34pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 6:39pm On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

everything na tribe tribe tribe!!!

That's what the thread reads
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by tpia: 6:40pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by bawomolo(m): 6:40pm On Mar 03, 2009
I really dont want to get into all this with you, since you seem to be of those people who call everyone east of Ondo state, Igbo. Ijesha in Oyo are from which state? Geez, I hope you're not one of those "Yorubas" who like to give the tribe a bad name due to their ignorant attitudes. What a meaningless analogy.

here we go again, everything on nairaland has to be an argument.

as for your question, instead of jumping others for their opinions, do you have one of your own, since thats what the thread is about?

i thought i already gave mine. the answer is none, just like no one is color blind , no one is free of ethnic bias.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by tpia: 6:41pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 6:44pm On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

I also listed Edo,Calabar, and pockets of the north yet its only Deltans that you people are jumping on. Whats really going on here?

Edo is usaually classified as a single tribe, even though they are not, at least they are very close culturally.
We all know that Nigerians mistake calabar(city) for the name of a tribe(Efik).
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by JJYOU: 6:47pm On Mar 03, 2009
behold the magic of NL. you are permitted to talk in some thread and not others. why do people find it easy to accept things they argued against on other threads?
tpia:

thanks for the education. Hope you can rest now.

I really dont want to get into all this with you, since [b]you seem to be of those people who call everyone east of Ondo state, Igbo. Ijesha in Oyo are from which state?  [/b]Geez, I hope you're not one of those "Yorubas" who like to give the tribe a bad name due to their ignorant attitudes. What a meaningless analogy.
 you are funny. you are right  though.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by tpia: 6:56pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 7:20pm On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

enough of the breakdowns.

Most people are aware of what others mean when they refer to Delta and Calabar.

Calabar? yes, Delta? Big NO
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by tpia: 7:37pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 7:45pm On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

speak for yourself.

and let me give you and bawomolo a better analogy:

Jamaica and Haiti are both Carribean. Are they the same? No.

Can someone mention Carribean people in a conversation? Yes

Do Carribeans have certain things in common? Yes

Does that mean no one should refer to a general "Carribean" instead of breaking it down into the different islands when talking about the region? No.

Are the Islands a part of North America? Yes

Does that make them America? Depends on who's speaking and the point you're trying to make.

America can be either the US or North America in general, including Mexico, Canada and Greenland.

That's a different scenario. We're talking of tribes here and not a geographical expression.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by tpia: 8:19pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 8:35pm On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

so Niger Delta is a tribe and not a geographical expression?

Niger delta is not supposed to be a geographical expression, it's a coincidence that all the niger delta state are close to each other. There's a difference between Niger delta and south south.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by tpia: 8:52pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by bawomolo(m): 9:03pm On Mar 03, 2009
@ Bawomolo: you do know you cant cover the lie I caught you in, about the Urhobo/Delta thing.

what lie that i made an assumption there are urhobo's in Delta? i stand corrected if am wrong.

I do hope you arent one of those troublemongers claiming to be Yoruba just to give the tribe a bad name.

how many times do i have to tell you am an Individual, i'm yoruba by birth and that's it. the word ethnic group sounds much better  than tribe. 

Thats how you were spreading misinformation about Ijebu/Egba the other day.

it's not misinformation, both groups have had political tussles in Ogun state, this goes back to their wars over land and trade routes.  I made reference to it on one post and not "spread" the information.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 9:24am On Mar 04, 2009
@ Tpia

If you say Deltans are the most Liberal and detribalized, then you are including the igbos in the south-east, because there's no difference between the delta ibos and the south east ibos. deltans really have nothing in common except that they found themselves in the same state.

Maybe if there was a state named "WAZOBIA", you would have said they are the most liberal bearing in mind that the three major ethnic groups are in this state.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by eldee(m): 9:34am On Mar 04, 2009
IMO, most Yoruba pple let go of tribalistic tendencies with education.
They seen to be the only group of people that have let inter-ethnic marriage work for them.

If we're going to be specific, Yoruba pple from Lagos tend to accept pple from different cultures simply because they basically grew up around them.

And Igbo pple are definitely the most ethoncentric lot I've ever met.
Even education does not stop an Igbo man from saying things like 'he has to avoid Delta Igbos'
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 9:43am On Mar 04, 2009
eldee:

They seen to be the only group of people that have let inter-ethnic marriage work for them.

If we're going to be specific, Yoruba pple from Lagos tend to accept pple from different cultures simply because they basically grew up around them.

And Igbo pple are definitely the most ethoncentric lot I've ever met.
Even education does not stop an Igbo man from saying things like 'he has to avoid Delta Igbos'

What makes Ibo people ethnocentric, even though i know they are not the most liberal of the lot, but i know igbo people have interacted mostly with other ethnicities more than any other tribe.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 9:46am On Mar 04, 2009
eldee:

And what has education got to do with being liberal or detribalized.White people with all their education how many of them have changed. I think what matters is growing up.
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Lagosboy: 10:01am On Mar 04, 2009
Igbo people are the most detrabilised Nigerians!!!
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by eldee(m): 10:07am On Mar 04, 2009
afam4eva:

And what has education got to do with being liberal or detribalized.White people with all their education how many of them have changed. I think what matters is growing up.
Education with exposure has a lot to do with it.
If you don't lose tribalistic tendencies after years of being taught by the educational system's side-curriculum to be liberal, that shows how ethoncentric you are.

Bout the white pple, you have to agree with me that at least in the UK and the US, Racism is not as cool as it used to be before.
Blatant sexism and racism are considered signs of ignorance.
That's why the Prince is receiving so much stick for using the p-word cheesy

How can you say Igbo people are not ethoncentric?
I've met so many educated Igbo people that still have beliefs as stupid as 'Hausas stink'
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 10:11am On Mar 04, 2009
eldee:

Bout the white pple, you have to agree with me that at least in the UK and the US, Racism is not as cool as it used to be before.

Did they just start getiing educated?
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 10:13am On Mar 04, 2009
eldee:

So the germans, spanish, french, russians don't go to school abi?
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by future001: 12:27pm On Mar 04, 2009
Everybody has his own share of the mess. Although relatively you can say that:

Marriage - Igbos like marry their own. I think the same with yorubas
Employment/Promotion - Yorubas like employing and promoting their own
Oil Revenue - ND tribes want it all alone
Politics - Hausas believe its their birthright

The truth is that everybody prefers his mother pot of soup even when sour
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by JJYOU: 12:59pm On Mar 04, 2009
afam4eva:

@ Tpia

If you say Deltans are the most Liberal and detribalized, then you are including the igbos in the south-east, because there's no difference between the delta ibos and the south east ibos. deltans really have nothing in common except that they found themselves in the same state.

Maybe if there was a state named "WAZOBIA", you would have said they are the most liberal bearing in mind that the three major ethnic groups are in this state.
you are asuming the agbor igbankes, kwale, ibusa, ogwashi & okpanam folks are all freinds of asaba people.

lets not do urhobo, isoko, itsekiri and ijaws just yet
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Afam4eva(m): 1:18pm On Mar 04, 2009
JJYOU:

you are asuming the agbor igbankes, kwale, ibusa, ogwashi & okpanam folks are all freinds of asaba people.

All i'm saying is that they are different from Urhobo,Isoko, Ijaw or Itshekiri
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by JJYOU: 1:41pm On Mar 04, 2009
afam4eva:

All i'm saying is that they are different from Urhobo,Isoko, Ijaw or Itshekiri
true but they are not always good and natural bed fellows. now let nobody run here and tell me they are all igbos
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Nobody: 1:44pm On Mar 04, 2009
Lagosboy:

Igbo people are the most detrabilised Nigerians!!!

i would say they are the most dispersed-

NL has made it clear they are not detribalised. most of them are still carrying their folks biafra beef on their heads
Re: What Tribe Will You Consider Most Liberal And Detribalized? Give Your Reasons by Dede1(m): 1:57pm On Mar 04, 2009
Most segments of Nigerian societies could be classified as educated morons. They simple go through educational institutions without the institutions leaving an indelible mark on them.

There must be at least one criterion as a benchmark in order to deduce which of the Nigerian ethnic group is politically above the ethnic shenanigans such as ethnocentricity.

When other Nigerian ethnic groups were trying to sort who they really were, Ndigbo had elected Hausa man as the Mayor of Enugu. The Ndigbo had elected an Ibibio man the head of government in the Eastern Rigion. In addition, Ndigbo had called upon Efik royal figure to lead the house of chiefs.

In the then Western region of Nigeria, the people like Oba of Benin and Chief Obasiki were kicked to the political curb because they were not sons of the soil.

In Northern Nigeria, it was even worse because not only you would have to belong to the right ethnic group, you must also belong to the right religion.

I am of the view that reasons behind insults other or certain ethnic groups tend to pile on the Ndigbo today is because of the latter’s civilized approach to certain political ramifications.   

Ndigbo must eschew their approach in future political issues be it war or play.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dora Akunliyi - A Wolf Finally Putting Off Its Sheep Clothing / Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop / Injuries In Anambra Communal Clash, Police Claim It Hasn't Been Briefed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.